Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Razer Blade Stealth Review

Joe Fresh 6:37 AM - 16 June, 2016
Hey everyone. I wanted to share my experience with the Razer Blade Stealth ultrabook with you guys. For reference, before testing the Stealth I have been DJing with a mid-2012 MacBook Pro, 15-inch non-Retina unibody running OS X Yosemite. My hope with testing the Stealth was that I could replace my MBP with a much more portable laptop, try out Windows 10 after using OS X for so long, and have a significantly less expensive option for a DJ laptop.

This is the Razer Blade Stealth - www.razerzone.com
It features an Intel Skylake processor, a 12.5" QHD touchscreen (2560 x 1440 pixels), 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, USB-C charging, 2 USB 3.0 ports, and an HDMI port.

As an ultrabook, this thing is great. It's incredibly thin and light, very fast, and it looks really cool. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of luck using it for DJing with Serato DJ.

The QHD screen, which looks amazing when watching videos and browsing the web, made it very difficult to use Serato DJ, and scaling did not help. I did find a hack to force it to scale correctly, but Serato's GUI is not optimized for high-res screens (yet), so the interface didn't look great even with the scaling hack. This could of course be remedied if Serato released an update to SDJ with support for high-res displays. The touchscreen didn't bring any advantages to Serato DJ; I had hoped that I could drag and drop tracks with my finger, or tap-to-drag from one deck to another to instant double, but SDJ wouldn't let me do that, and the high resolution made dragging and dropping tracks with a finger cumbersome and not practical.

I noticed a strange issue when using Serato DJ in offline mode. There was a very noticeable delay between hitting a key (ex. cue point) and the audio response. Luckily this didn't happen when hardware was connected, but when offline there was always about a 0.2 second delay between pressing a cue point key and hearing the track jump to that cue point.

Now the big issue - I experienced two system freezes while using the Stealth with a Pioneer DDJ-SX, and one of those times was at a gig. I wasn't able to determine if this was a Windows 10 issue (I optimized all settings as recommended by Serato), or a drivers issue (all drivers were updated to the latest versions), but it made me lose faith that this was a dependable machine for stable live DJ performance. The system also froze a couple of times when Serato DJ wasn't running, and I couldn't figure out why. I also tested with a Pioneer DJM-S9 and turntable setup, and I didn't experience a system freeze. Again, I wasn't able to nail down the cause of the freezes, and it seemed to occur randomly, regardless of what I was doing on the laptop.

One cool feature is the RGB keyboard. Each key can be lit individually with a different color. I created a keyboard profile where the keys were lit to match Serato DJ's functions - keys 1-5 were lit red for Deck 1's cue points, keys 6-0 were lit blue for Deck 2's cue points, different colors for censor, the shift key, control key, etc. It was like having one of those keyboard covers with the shortcuts printed on it. It looked cool in a dark club, and I could set it to automatically load when I opened Serato DJ.

Coming from the MacBook Pro I've used for years, I didn't have much trouble adapting to Windows 10, but I just like OS X (soon to be macOS) better. It's just a better experience IMO - fewer settings to tweak, no drivers to install and constantly update, fewer invasive/annoying notifications and system popups, no worries about viruses/malware, and as a computer in general, everything in the Apple ecosystem just works so well together. Yes, El Capitan was a disaster for Serato DJ, but I never upgraded. This is personal preference; I'm just more comfortable using Apple's OS with both DJing and everyday computing.

Conclusion - I really like the Razer Blade Stealth as an ultrabook for everyday web browsing, watching movies, streaming music, etc., but I wasn't happy with it as a DJ laptop. I had high hopes for it, especially with how portable and awesome-looking it is. But the multiple system freezes, the lack of SDJ support for its high-res touchscreen, and the unimpressive Windows 10 experience has convinced me to stick with Apple for DJing.

I hope you guys found this review informative and helpful.
soul63 8:58 AM - 16 June, 2016
Thanks for the review..looks a lovely laptop..could it be windows 10 thats the issue? with those specs and the price..i would have hoped for better results
pdidy 1:37 PM - 16 June, 2016
Would you be willing to take your review a step further and run DPC latency checker as seen in this photo i26.photobucket.com (my 2008 macbook pro c2d 2.4ghz 2gigs ram running window & vdj) and take a video (preferably) or snapshot of your results ?
Joe Fresh 9:31 PM - 2 November, 2016
Sorry I don't know how I missed you guys' replies.

Quote:
Thanks for the review..looks a lovely laptop..could it be windows 10 thats the issue? with those specs and the price..i would have hoped for better results

Some of the issues I had could have stemmed from Windows 10, but that is the OS that came with the laptop and I didn't want to downgrade. Maybe the 10.1 update would have fixed the issues.

Quote:
Would you be willing to take your review a step further and run DPC latency checker as seen in this photo i26.photobucket.com (my 2008 macbook pro c2d 2.4ghz 2gigs ram running window & vdj) and take a video (preferably) or snapshot of your results ?

Would have loved to give you guys more info, sadly I sold the laptop already.

FYI, Razer recently released a refreshed version of the Stealth ("The New Razer Blade Stealth") with a Kaby Lake processor, more storage options, and better battery life. I'd be curious to see if it works better for Serato DJ, though I don't currently have plans to pick one up to test it.
musiclee 4:38 AM - 3 November, 2016
It would have been great if you tried it with Windows 7 Pro before selling it

You never know, coulda been w winner
musiclee 4:42 AM - 3 November, 2016
I think the 16gb on the new model would make all the difference
korey-k 4:28 PM - 9 December, 2016
I tried the new Razer Blade Stealth (kaby lake i7) last night. The only problem I had is when I touched the screen while mixing. SDJ froze but the music didn't stop. It seemed like it went back to normal when I touched the touchpad.
Joe Fresh 4:32 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
I tried the new Razer Blade Stealth (kaby lake i7) last night. The only problem I had is when I touched the screen while mixing. SDJ froze but the music didn't stop. It seemed like it went back to normal when I touched the touchpad.

I experienced that issue too (on the Skylake model) when attempting to instant double by dragging a playing track from one deck to another on the touchscreen.

Other than that, how did you like the 2016 Razer Blade Stealth for DJing with SDJ?
korey-k 4:50 PM - 9 December, 2016
I think i'm going to stick with it. I got it this week. My previous laptop was a large Acer so this is more portable. I like the chroma keyboard for djing in the dark. I'm used to djing on Windows but if this doesn't work i'm probably going to try a mac for the first time. I have two more gigs this weekend so I will know by then if I want to keep it.
Joe Fresh 5:35 PM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
I think i'm going to stick with it. I got it this week. My previous laptop was a large Acer so this is more portable. I like the chroma keyboard for djing in the dark. I'm used to djing on Windows but if this doesn't work i'm probably going to try a mac for the first time. I have two more gigs this weekend so I will know by then if I want to keep it.

Sounds good, please let us know how everything goes with it this weekend!
korey-k 1:21 AM - 12 December, 2016
I didn't have any problems the rest of the weekend. I mostly avoided the touchscreen but I did try at the end of the night and didn't have trouble with it freezing up. I also tested Serato Video and I did see performance issues that I had with my Acer. I changed the output from 480p to 360p and increased the buffer and that went away. I think the core would help but I don't know if I will be doing much video djing any time soon.
kvnkrz 3:28 PM - 2 February, 2018
I wonder if SDJPRO will be easier on PCs..

Thinking on getting the new blade stealth Quad-core 16b 1TB SSD.
CJ In The Mix 2:58 PM - 5 June, 2018
I got a Razer Blade Stealth Kayby Lake i7-7500u. Had it since November and have done a good amout of gigs and radio mixshows.

It actually works great with Serato DJ Pro. I always leave my wifi and Bluetooth on. I even opened chrome with like 10 tabs open, Serato DJ Pro, with rane 62 and it didn't break a sweat. Even runs Serato Video 720p output it did get a little hot but nothing major. I also run flip all the time and pitch n time sometimes.

Only time cpu usage gets a high is when i use all 3 add ons at the same time. But i keep my USB latency low.

If your running a mixer with turntables mainly with the rane 62, bump up the usb latency to 10ms. 7 maybe ok but I have had have some dropouts at 7 (also i had this on my quad core i7 so i wouldn't completely blame the laptop). On my pioneer ddj-sz i dont have that issue.

Other than that its a winner! Just wish it had one more thunderbolt 3 port.
al83 7:12 AM - 8 August, 2018
Anyone with experience of the new 8550 quad core model with DJing with Serato and/or for general audio work?
Aptidda 4:46 PM - 8 August, 2018
these razer blades are trash, just received my fully spec'd $10,000 MacBook Pro. It runs pretty good.
al83 6:00 PM - 8 August, 2018
Quote:
these razer blades are trash

First hand experience?
Aptidda 6:03 PM - 8 August, 2018
there is no way any of these razer laptops could shine a candle to my MacBook pro. Geekbench it.... its over.
popnwave 6:42 PM - 8 August, 2018
Quote:
these razer blades are trash, just received my fully spec'd $10,000 MacBook Pro. It runs pretty good.

Didn't you just get asked to stop trolling in the past couple of days?
Aptidda 6:43 PM - 8 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't you just get asked to stop trolling in the past couple of days?

Geekbench popnwave....... geek bench.......
al83 6:47 AM - 20 February, 2019
Anyone got experience with the 2019 Stealth & Serato?
17tr2 10:06 PM - 20 February, 2019
I have an Alienware laptop that works well with Serato. Intel and GTX graphics, so the specs should be similar. Also have 2 general purpose HP laptops working OK with Serato.