Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane 62 not connecting easily

DJ Marv the Maverick 1:35 AM - 5 June, 2016
I was gonna make this a rant but I will just like to say this as calmly as I can.

I've previously used Scratch live from 2009 when I had a SL3, now I've got a 62 and using Serato DJ.

I have two summer residencies and play exclusively on DVS. I have a Mac running Yosemite with the latest Serato DJ update when I connect the laptop to the mixer ,you get the flashing yellow banner that says hardware is connecting and will take a few minutes. How about Serato changing that to "it might connect or not"

I did the work around of going to delete my midi devices , restarted system up to 10 times, hot unplug etc, but the damn thing didn't start. There I was gobsmacked ,I loaded scratch live and boom connects to the mixer without blinking.

Serato DJ is becoming a joke of a software and the makers need to really sit down and reconsider all the moves they are making, enabling thousands of hardware and ignoring compatibility/bug issues.

I still don't understand the idea of lumping everyone together in one software. DVS was what made Serato what it is today. They should just split the damn thing or keep developing Scratch Live. Not everyone needs the bells and whistles in DJ.

Some might ask if Scratch live works I should stick with that, every time I close Scratch live it crashes on Yosemite. A work around I found out was if I powered of the Mixer before closing Scratch Live it doesn't crash. Even this doesnt work every time.

Anyways the only consistent thing in life is change one day your product will be irrelevant and there will be a new option. I will hate to see you go down but it's exasperating to say the least.

I can't go the rekordbox USB route yet because I play open format and do private gigs too.

Serato and Rane really need to get their house in order.
Chino 8:05 PM - 5 June, 2016
^^^ One option is to partitioned your hard drive and run SSL on OSX 10.8 or 10.9. I also have a 62 that I run off of a partitioned internal HD (OSX 10.8.5). I run SDJ 10.11.5 with my Denon MCx8000 controller. IMHO SDJ runs well with controllers but for DVS I prefer Scratch Live.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:47 AM - 6 June, 2016
Quote:
^^^ One option is to partitioned your hard drive and run SSL on OSX 10.8 or 10.9. I also have a 62 that I run off of a partitioned internal HD (OSX 10.8.5). I run SDJ 10.11.5 with my Denon MCx8000 controller. IMHO SDJ runs well with controllers but for DVS I prefer Scratch Live.

Might just do that. It's a shame really that a legacy software still performs remarkably better than the newer one. I'm going to download the older DJ versions and see if any of them works better before I start considering the Snow leopard - Maverick partition.
KayPlaya 9:08 AM - 6 June, 2016
Got the same issue here, haven't figured out why this happens however when I unplug the usb then plug back in it finds it immediately. Serato DJ is KILLING ME
Niro 12:01 PM - 6 June, 2016
I usually open up sdj, let it do its thing, then plug in my USB. Seems to work 98% if the time.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:33 PM - 6 June, 2016
Quote:
I usually open up sdj, let it do its thing, then plug in my USB. Seems to work 98% if the time.

It was like that for me to prior to the update where they pulled the tempo display.

Quote:
Got the same issue here, haven't figured out why this happens however when I unplug the usb then plug back in it finds it immediately. Serato DJ is KILLING ME

That used to be my Workaround before but lately it's been taking an average of ten unplugging and loads of restarting.
DjChino3 6:19 PM - 6 June, 2016
hey marv, are you on the latest drivers? I was having the same issue but now it's working fine for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:00 PM - 6 June, 2016
The latest driver is for Capitan if I'm correct. I use Yosemite and I'm not allowed to update to the very latest driver. A prompt comes up to say I can only install it if I'm on EC. So I'm on the latest that my current OS will allow me to install.
pdidy 6:28 AM - 7 June, 2016
Laptop year and complete specs ?
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:35 PM - 7 June, 2016
@pdiddy

Yosemite 10.10.5, Mid 2014 15" rMBP, 2.5GHz Intel core i7, 16gb RAM, 2G Video Card, 500gb SSD, 2TB Lacie Thunderbolt, US Keyboard.

Hardware in question - Rane 62, Firmware 2.53

Software in question - Serato DJ 1.9.0, 1.9.1
pdidy 7:17 PM - 7 June, 2016
Quote:
Yosemite 10.10.5, Mid 2014 15" rMBP, 2.5GHz Intel core i7, 16gb RAM, 2G Video Card, 500gb SSD,

Great Laptop, no reason why this laptop should be having issues.

Quote:
2TB Lacie Thunderbolt, US Keyboard.

Remove this and everything else you may have plugged in to your laptop then test.
SirForce 7:21 PM - 7 June, 2016
SSL with 10.9.5 Mavericks just plain works.

It was not until I went to El Cap 10.11.4, NEW Rane drivers then installed SDJ 1.9.0/1.9.1 that I had some stability with the Rane 62. Plenty of blame to go around on this one. I did not enjoy the crashes in the SDJ 1.7.2-1.8.1 ERA with various OS X versions. My experience does not seem to far off from yours.

I'm dual booting a MID MBP 2012 model with i7/16GB RAM/SSD drives.
pdidy 7:31 PM - 7 June, 2016
By the way, when you connect your 62 to laptop it may be requesting you update drivers and you didnt notice it. That happened to me a week ago when my dj partner updated my 62 firmware without my permission and for 5 minutes im confused as to why I cant connect until I saw the message.
DJ Tecniq 4:10 AM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
@pdiddy

Yosemite 10.10.5, Mid 2014 15" rMBP, 2.5GHz Intel core i7, 16gb RAM, 2G Video Card, 500gb SSD, 2TB Lacie Thunderbolt, US Keyboard.

Hardware in question - Rane 62, Firmware 2.53

Software in question - Serato DJ 1.9.0, 1.9.1
Just a heads up I have this exact same laptop on the latest Yosemite with Pioneer S9 no issues. Maybe the 62 isn't so great after all🤔
DJ Tecniq 4:15 AM - 8 June, 2016
This is the latest driver as of March 2016" dj.rane.com
DJ Tecniq 4:16 AM - 8 June, 2016
DJ Tecniq 4:21 AM - 8 June, 2016
Have you tried these instructions?
dj.rane.com
DJ Tecniq 4:33 AM - 8 June, 2016
Also take a look at this discussion.
serato.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:38 AM - 8 June, 2016
I can't install the latest driver because I'm on Yosemite. I downloaded it when I try to run it it tells me it's only for Capitan.

In the 62 control panel, the update tab is grayed out.

I have tried the delete midi device method. I even did it at the gig but still didn't connect.

The only thing I haven't tried is the Kext delete.

Will it break Scratch live?
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:40 AM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
SSL with 10.9.5 Mavericks just plain works.

It was not until I went to El Cap 10.11.4, NEW Rane drivers then installed SDJ 1.9.0/1.9.1 that I had some stability with the Rane 62. Plenty of blame to go around on this one. I did not enjoy the crashes in the SDJ 1.7.2-1.8.1 ERA with various OS X versions. My experience does not seem to far off from yours.

I'm dual booting a MID MBP 2012 model with i7/16GB RAM/SSD drives.

So updating to El Capitan + new drivers brought you stability?
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:41 AM - 8 June, 2016
Driver is Different from firmware right.

So my firmware is the very latest, evidenced by the Grey out panel.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:45 AM - 8 June, 2016
Also noticed the same connection issue with my DDJ SX last night. A quick power on and off and Serato DJ was able to connect to the controller.
DJ Tecniq 7:44 AM - 8 June, 2016
Very odd and you've tried diff usb ports?
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:03 PM - 8 June, 2016
Yup. I've got two.
I've got a thunderbolt dock but haven't started playing out with it.

I try to keep connections simple.

Trying to have some consistency so I'm using only the 62 for all my mixes.
Mr. Goodkat 6:38 PM - 8 June, 2016
sometimes its good to contact rane.

when i got my 62 sdj was spinning backwards and all i did was rename my midi folder and it worked fine. then i upgraded to yosemite and had problems and i did the same thing and it worked again. might just be something small.
SirForce 7:10 PM - 8 June, 2016
DJ MAV THE MAVERICK

yes for me... EL Cap and SDJ 1.9.1 with newest rane drivers has been stable for almost a month.

Stickerlock is still broken.

I did report a bug yesterday where i hit ctrl shift del on a track that was playing and SDJ hung then crashed but i was home so no big deal as i am not typically deleting tracks at a gig.

I do dual boot if i want to go back to mavericks and SSl

Both of my Rane 62s havr firmware 2.5.3 my rane 64 is latest firmware but that hasnt changed in a long time... all rane mixers with el cap drivers seem solid to me

I think there is something t clearing out the midi folder as my previous attempts brought a lot of baggage from many ssl and os x versions as sdj came on to the scene

It wasnt until i started fresh with clean os x and i only copied part of the serato folder to keep crates and history everything else was fresh that i had stability.

Outside of stickerlock fix, and pioneer NXS2 mixer and HiD mode updates im gonna ride this version for a while.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:31 PM - 8 June, 2016
It works when it connects, just not like connect reliably each time I plug it in.

Maybe I will partition my HD and install El Capitan.

It's gigging season for me and I will wait till after the busy period before I do any thing drastic.

I have installed 1.7.8 as a back up. That's the last Serato DJ that was 100% right for me, the only thing I lose is the Camelot key tagging.

I was going to start paying attention to key mixing for my Funk/Disco gigs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:22 AM - 20 June, 2016
Still having random connection issues with Serato DJ.

I have narrowed it down to Serato DJ as my Mac sees the hardware connected but the Serato DJ software doesn't connect to the hardware easily.

It detects it but stays trying to connect till infinity. I actually left it alone one night at home to see if it will eventually connect.

I have tried all the work around, deleting old midi drivers, Scratch Live kext, etc.

Last Saturdays gig, it took me about 7/8 hot unplugging/ reopening the software to get it to work.

When it does connect it works fine through the night. I haven't done anything strange to my laptop,bare programs on it.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:58 AM - 20 June, 2016
www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

I have tried the connection troubleshooting guide and also submitted a help request.

I have 4 festivals to dj over the next few weeks and i'm already dreading the DJ changeover. Might just have to use Scratch Live.

Help request ticket: #195458
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:02 PM - 20 June, 2016
Still having this mind numbing issue.

Just ordered a Class A USB cable online to see if that will make any difference which i strongly doubt.
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:58 AM - 25 June, 2016
Another night of sweating over connection to Serato DJ.

Sigh
Two more gigs this weekend
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:00 AM - 25 June, 2016
Think I'm gonna do a wipe of my laptop in the morning.

I just don't understand again.

Fresh install of the current OSX, Yosemite.
DJ Tecniq 8:13 AM - 25 June, 2016
So new USB cable was no luck?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:00 AM - 25 June, 2016
I've used up to six different cables no luck. Different USB ports.

Last night was so bad. Finished setting up at 945pm and couldn't make a connection till 10:05pm

Numerous hot unplugging, swapping usb, I even opened the midi utility window and deleted everything there. That made no difference.

Soon as I was thinking of firing up Scratch live instead damn thing made connection.

I raised a support ticket and still no joy.

I can't think of anything specifically that I have done that's causing this issue.
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:49 PM - 25 June, 2016
So I partitioned my internal HD.

Yosemite on both partitions. On the newer partition I installed only three software Serato DJ, Scratch Live and Mix Emergency.

Seems that has sorted out my connection issues.

I've tested it at home with both my DDJ SX and Rane 62.

Looks like this will be how I will keep the laptop now going forward i.e having a dedicated DJ only partition.

I keep my music on external anyways so even if I'm in the everyday partition I can still download new music and manage my library.

Anyways I will test it out tonight.

I'm thinking I should install EC on my everyday partition now.
PopRoXxX 4:48 PM - 25 June, 2016
Quote:
I'm thinking I should install EC on my everyday partition now

This is what I did. EC on one partition for my everyday stuff (with SDJ and ME on it too) and Yosemite on a 35GB partition with only SDJ and ME on it. Still haven't had to use the Yosemite partition though LOL
SirForce 11:59 PM - 25 June, 2016
At least the new rane drivers and SDJ 1.9.1 with El cap 10.11.4 mean modern computer macbooks will work for a solid three more years worst case with no updates. #stickerlockbroken #fixseratodj #fixstickerlock
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:54 AM - 26 June, 2016
Field report 25/06/2016 @ a gig.

Fresh Macbook Yosemite install on a dedicated partition

Serato DJ 1.9.1 - Connection issues with DDJSX and Rane 62, bloody thing just won't connect easily

1.7.8 - Connects instantly like it should.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:55 AM - 26 June, 2016
Quote:
At least the new rane drivers and SDJ 1.9.1 with El cap 10.11.4 mean modern computer macbooks will work for a solid three more years worst case with no updates. #stickerlockbroken #fixseratodj #fixstickerlock

Will the new firmware break connectivity with Scratch Live on Yosemite?

I have a El Capitan partition and might try that instead tonight
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:35 PM - 27 June, 2016
This weekend I did the following

1. Partitioned my Hard drive to two and installed a fresh Yosemite on one partition and Upgraded my old Yosemite partition that I was having connection issues with to El Capitan.

2. I installed Serato 1.9.2 and 1.7.8 on both partitions

3. 1.9.2 still has trouble connecting to both my hardware (DDJSX and Rane 62), this is on both OSX'

4. 1.7.8 connects instantly on both OSX with both devices I own.

5. Mind you, I have only Serato DJ installed on the new OSX Yosemite partition to out rule if any other software is causing me to have the connection issues. So it's a pretty bare partition but the issue still remains.

That was my email to Serato as I have an open ticket.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:36 PM - 27 June, 2016
1.9.1 rather than 1.9.2 beta
PopRoXxX 5:09 PM - 27 June, 2016
Also try to make sure you eject the other partition's HD that loads as an "external" or "extra" drive on your desktop. I ran into a couple issues when both drives were loaded on my desktop while using one OS. After ejecting the other OS's HD, those little problems went away for me
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:27 PM - 27 June, 2016
Quote:
Also try to make sure you eject the other partition's HD that loads as an "external" or "extra" drive on your desktop. I ran into a couple issues when both drives were loaded on my desktop while using one OS. After ejecting the other OS's HD, those little problems went away for me

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks. I don't have any of my drives showing up by default.
SirForce 10:17 AM - 28 June, 2016
I can attest rane 62 firmware 2.53 is fine with SSL and SDJ. I own two Rane 62s no issue. In fact not using a v2 firmware with SDJ is an issue in my opinion.
Also Starring 9:55 PM - 5 March, 2017
I am currently having the same issue! I have reinstalled drivers countless times, restarted my computer,....
Both decks appear sometimes (much less than 98%) after I start the software and then plug the USB.

Did you ever find a fix to this issue or is this just something that will always exist with Searto DJ and my Rane device.
I ask because I was considering selling my 62 and stepping up the 64 to use 4 decks but if this is an issue that will always occur I may just ditch Serato all together.
Thanks!
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:55 PM - 5 March, 2017
Quote:
I am currently having the same issue! I have reinstalled drivers countless times, restarted my computer,....
Both decks appear sometimes (much less than 98%) after I start the software and then plug the USB.

Did you ever find a fix to this issue or is this just something that will always exist with Searto DJ and my Rane device.
I ask because I was considering selling my 62 and stepping up the 64 to use 4 decks but if this is an issue that will always occur I may just ditch Serato all together.
Thanks!

hey, what I do now is to power up the mixer, connect it to your laptop before starting Serato.

that way almost always rather guarantees that the mixer will connect to Serato.

this connectivity issue affects other mixers and controllers I have too. so it's definitely not a hardware problem but a Serato issue.

it's a mess I know
Also Starring 5:09 AM - 6 March, 2017
hey, what I do now is to power up the mixer, connect it to your laptop before starting Serato.

that way almost always rather guarantees that the mixer will connect to Serato.

this connectivity issue affects other mixers and controllers I have too. so it's definitely not a hardware problem but a Serato issue.

it's a mess I know

***Yeah, I tried that too and still no luck.
I am communicating with Serato tech support and will keep you posted as things progress.

Please feel free to pass along information you may have that be handy.

Is this srill an ongoing issue for you?
I have never has this problem using SL and may to go back to that... which is shame because the new in SDJ seem fun.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:42 AM - 6 March, 2017
if that way does not work for you then you need to contact support.

have you updated the firmware of your 62?
Also Starring 9:13 AM - 6 March, 2017
Quote:
if that way does not work for you then you need to contact support.

have you updated the firmware of your 62?

I pretty sure updates the firmware?! Where do I check?
SirForce 12:17 PM - 7 March, 2017
On a mac connect the mixer to the computer and open up the Mac Settings app and find the Rane 62 control item and open that.

It will display the mixer firmware and there will be an update version if it 's out of date.

If your firmware max version is NOT 2.53 you will need an updated Rane driver installed on your mac if you want to obtain Firmware 2.53.
DJ 8-Ball, 1993 NMS Champ 11:15 PM - 16 June, 2017
Hello all,

I just got a 62 a few days ago (was previously using a 57 with SL). I'm also having trouble connecting. I've got the latest Serato 1.9.3 and latest Race firmware 2.53. Serato tries to make a connection and after a minute it gives me the message "hardware failed to connect, please try again." I've also tried re-installing the driver as well as removing the device in the Midi section as suggested on other sites. At this point I might want to return it. Anything else I can try? Here are my laptop specs:

Macbook Pro OSX Sierra 10.2.5
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1067 MhZ DDR3 memory
Mr. Goodkat 8:14 PM - 17 June, 2017
1.96 is the latest build but open up a help ticket, the 62's can be tricky.
Serato, Support
Jordan L 2:10 AM - 19 June, 2017
Hey man,

Please send us a help request and we'll assist in getting you connected.

support.serato.com

Cheers.
DJ 8-Ball, 1993 NMS Champ 4:13 AM - 21 June, 2017
Thanks! Will open a ticket and also turns out I was on 1.96. =(