DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

new to the DJ community

Sam.u.L. 6:34 PM - 1 June, 2016
Hey all
I'm new to the DJ scene. still just a bedroom DJ.
I made this mix last month. Was hoping for some professional/qualified opinions on it.

I think overall its solid, but I think i still need some fine tuning.
Let me know what you think.
www.mixcloud.com
Sam.u.L. 6:35 PM - 1 June, 2016
oops. wrong link
www.mixcloud.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:23 PM - 1 June, 2016
I thought it was shit listened to the first two transitions and that was all I could bare, and didn't you post this before I didn't comment on it then but if you insist on wanting feedback there you go
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:27 PM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
I thought it was shit listened to the first two transitions and that was all I could bare, and didn't you post this before I didn't comment on it then but if you insist on wanting feedback there you go

Lol i was literally typing the same thing. The intro scratching caight me off guard like uh oh dude might be nice (i knew i had heard that scratch to that song somewhere else) first transtion made me want to jump under a desk. I quit on the second.

My advice, practice practice practice, then when you think your good enough to post a mix...DON'T ..go back to practicing. I know you have a new toy with djing and you want to show it off but get good first then cime back and see us
Sam.u.L. 8:47 PM - 1 June, 2016
Thanks for the honesty M-Bezzle and sparky.
I didn't love my first couple transitions either. I will keep working on it, since that's all I can do.

And while I haven't been at it long (clearly obvious right?) , I've heard much worse out in bars (yes, that is possible).

Once again, thanks for the feedback.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:52 PM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for the honesty M-Bezzle and sparky.
I didn't love my first couple transitions either. I will keep working on it, since that's all I can do.

And while I haven't been at it long (clearly obvious right?) , I've heard much worse out in bars (yes, that is possible).

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for taking our comments on the chin like a champ. Your new so just keep practicing. Thats all it takes man. Im looking forward to hearing a better mix in a year lol. Enjoy
Sam.u.L. 9:01 PM - 1 June, 2016
Lol Im still at my day job (also good news), so your comments did throw me off guard for a second.

Relatively new. Im only 25. I initially thought about DJing a few years ago but I finally bought my first controller last year. felt like christmas.

Also, any advice for how I could improve the first transition from hustla to we fly high? it was my first time integrating the backspin into a recorded mix so it definitely was about as bad as it could've been. my timing and just about everything was off with it.
Antonio Essex 12:35 AM - 3 June, 2016
keep it at it dude. Transitions were rough but at least it wasn't 1 full hour of EDM trash. Respect for being cool about the criticism. Like bezzle said- practice practice practice
Sam.u.L. 3:47 AM - 3 June, 2016
thanks for the criticism/advice antonio.
i agree, some transitions werent the best (or rough rather).
but, honestly, i have a few in there i did like. it seems you guys don't think so, which is fair, but i did like some of it.

i do actually have a good amount of EDM in my collection, but i didnt use it for this lol.

anyways, ill get back to it...
DJ Remix Detroit 10:15 AM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
but i did like some of it.

once you practice and start getting better, you will listen to this in a year or two and be like: wtf was i thinking lol.

The first few mixes I recorded when I first started out (mind you, they were recorded on a cassette tape), I thought sounded pretty good. When I listen to them now, I'm like: that shit sounds like straight garbage...lol

just keep practicing, there are millions of other DJ's on youtube that you can watch and see their styles, view their scratching techniques, view their tutorials, etc.

like Bezz said: practice practice practice.
Sam.u.L. 1:13 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
but i did like some of it.

once you practice and start getting better, you will listen to this in a year or two and be like: wtf was i thinking lol.

The first few mixes I recorded when I first started out (mind you, they were recorded on a cassette tape), I thought sounded pretty good. When I listen to them now, I'm like: that shit sounds like straight garbage...lol

just keep practicing, there are millions of other DJ's on youtube that you can watch and see their styles, view their scratching techniques, view their tutorials, etc.

like Bezz said: practice practice practice.

@remix detroit
im sure you're right. hell ill probably listen in a couple months and be like "ughh thats shit" to the parts i thought were good lol

the sad part is i've heard DJs out there (in NYC) who do worse. they just play like heavy bass trap music without regard for beat matching or anything and people eat it up.

any youtube channels or people you guys recommend for tutorials?
RonDu 1:57 PM - 3 June, 2016
$h*t, I can listen to a mix I made a month ago and be like, "that shit was wack!"
Antonio Essex 4:16 PM - 3 June, 2016
I like the Dj Angelo tutorials on you tube. Very easy to follow and dude knows his shit about learning scratches. Search for your favorite Dj's live sets on there where the camera focused on the decks. The pioneer Dj sounds channel is one I watch a lot because you can watch a full set a see how they play on the mixer or scratch on the CDJS
Papa Midnight 4:45 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:
$h*t, I can listen to a mix I made a month ago and be like, "that shit was wack!"

This right here is the truth.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:13 PM - 3 June, 2016
Quote:

the sad part is i've heard DJs out there (in NYC) who do worse. they just play l

Stop right there...forget how good anyone else is or isn't. Who cares what theyre playing or how theyre playing it. You worry about 3 things

1) practice
2) practice
3) practice

Just develop your skills and let others fall where they may