DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Vestax VCI-380 Replacement

xfactorf2 1:35 PM - 31 May, 2016
Does anyone know if a company such as Pioneer DJ or any company for that matter plans to produce a full featured controller for Serato DJ that is relatively the same size and footprint of the Vestax VCI-380? That controller is truly wicked and packed full of features including balanced xlr outputs, but more importantly it's compact size was awesome.....you can actually pack your controller and your laptop in the same backpack.
JT1985 5:33 PM - 31 May, 2016
Try the Reloop Terminal Mix 8. Good size, well built and not too expensive. No stand alone mixer option tho
DTweed 12:38 AM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
Does anyone know if a company such as Pioneer DJ or any company for that matter plans to produce a full featured controller for Serato DJ that is relatively the same size and footprint of the Vestax VCI-380? That controller is truly wicked and packed full of features including balanced xlr outputs, but more importantly it's compact size was awesome.....you can actually pack your controller and your laptop in the same backpack.

Man just go buy another VCI 380 used cause nothing will beat that. I'm about to get another too
dj_soo 10:40 AM - 1 June, 2016
I'm on my second 380.

Nothing else has the features I want at the same size.
DTweed 4:23 PM - 1 June, 2016
Quote:
I'm on my second 380.

Nothing else has the features I want at the same size.

Agreed
jprime 4:38 PM - 1 June, 2016
I love my Twitch controller, but if it didn't exist I'd probably have a 380
Joee 8:43 PM - 1 June, 2016
you guys don't like the ddj sr?

granted the plater/jog wheel feel is not as good as the vci 380, but it's not bad
deejayfatcat 9:53 PM - 1 June, 2016
I'm curious, what goes wrong with them?
Joee 9:57 PM - 1 June, 2016
the fader bleeds , besides that I'm not to sure
4mydawgz 2:40 AM - 2 June, 2016
my vci-380 started bleeding as well. was thinking about putting an innofader in it.
DJ LIL M 2:59 AM - 2 June, 2016
good too see im not the only 380 user left lol..... and
Quote:
my vci-380 started bleeding as well. was thinking about putting an innofader in it.

i got an innofader in mines
DTweed 3:52 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
you guys don't like the ddj sr?

granted the plater/jog wheel feel is not as good as the vci 380, but it's not bad

That's exactly why I don't like the SR but it's the next best thing. Still rather have a used 380 than a new SR
DTweed 3:53 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Was it difficult to do?
SG SOUNDS 4:47 PM - 2 June, 2016
what version of serato dj are guys using the vci 380 with?
DJ LIL M 6:33 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it difficult to do?

not at all
DJ LIL M 6:34 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:

dj_soo 8:19 PM - 2 June, 2016
Yea both the stock and the cf-x2 have issues with bleeding after a short amount of time.

I want to put an innofader in mine, but innofaders aren't cheap in Canada
SG SOUNDS 10:11 PM - 2 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i didn't know it worked with the newer sdj versions i thought it only worked with the older ones..for its size and what it can do the vci 380 to me is the best portable controller ever made..
4mydawgz 12:41 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

which innofader model did you use? i see they have an innobender and a mini innofader
DJ LIL M 9:04 PM - 4 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

which innofader model did you use? i see they have an innobender and a mini innofader

innobender
JDfunky 3:17 AM - 20 January, 2017
Yep I'm with you guys on the VCI-380. Great features, compact size, 24-bit 48kHz audio interface so nice sound. Love it and haven't seen a worthy replacement yet.
Mr. Goodkat 9:27 AM - 20 January, 2017
the new mixars 2 channel controller www.mixars.com

dj soo actually made the call, just reiterating
Formica 8:21 PM - 14 November, 2017
Necro thread to talk VCI-380 :-) another 380 user here. My CUE A and CUE B buttons are starting to go after years of being mashed. I remapped Load A and Load B up to AREA and SORT since I don't use those, but the headphone Cue functions can't be remapped as they are actually hardware switches and not MIDI functions according to Serato.

I definitely recommend putting an Innofader in the 380, it's very easy and the Innofader has stood up to all the abuse the stock one couldn't take (multiple years at Burning Man).

I also recommend getting a spare power supply while you can. This one works if you can't find an SDC-7 for sale: smile.amazon.com

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 380 in good condition on eBay as I have yet to find a controller that suits me as well as the 380 does. I've been using it for almost five years and am dreading the day it dies. There have been a few "studio only" 380s on eBay from time to time, and I almost pulled the trigger and stuck it in the attic. Alas, the price is getting me - a used one will run me more than the $400 I paid new for B stock back in 2013.

The Reloop Terminal Mix 8 looks like a possible replacement for the 380/400, though it's not clear if they make it anymore. The Mixars Primo looks really nice too, though I'd have to get used to pads on the bottom, and it's not clear if it was ever actually released.

The Roland DJ-505 looks pretty good too, though I'd want to try one out. I guess I have to get used to the notion that I'll be paying at least $700 if I want something new that does what I want it to. It would be nice to go to four channels, as well.

If anyone else has a recommendation or thoughts on a VCI-380 replacement, please chime in, I'm interested to hear other opinions. The 380 hit all the right notes in terms of performance, layout, size, price, and durability, and I hope to see something like it again before mine dies.
dj_soo 8:34 PM - 14 November, 2017
Mixars Primo seems to be the one that will replace the VCI 380, but it's been delayed til god knows when.
JDfunky 8:41 AM - 15 November, 2017
Yeah the Mixars Primo was on my watchlist, but it doesn't seem to have actually surfaced.

I looked at the Denon DJ MC4000, but it doesn't allow use as a mixer (e.g. for decks, as the VCI does)
www.digitaldjtips.com

Also there's this Pioneer DDJ-SR2, which I haven't looked into yet...does enable RCA inputs as a mixer
www.pioneerdj.com
dj_soo 9:12 PM - 15 November, 2017
Mc4000 is limited in controls and closer to an SB2 or mixtrack with better build and outputs.

The sr2 and Roland 505 are also 2 channel that support dvs, but both are much bigger and the vci and lack platter indicator lights.
JDfunky 11:52 PM - 15 November, 2017
@dj_soo Thanks for info. So we still wait for Mixars Primo then.

One thing I find limiting on VCI, is lack of easy way to control FX, ie buttons/dials on controller. Back in pre-digital days with vinyl then CDs I used Pioneer mixers, and they had very simple delay, echo, flanger etc and the ability to dial it in on the fly just by punching a button then dialling the interval (e.g 1, 1/2, 1/3 etc)
DJ LIL M 3:21 AM - 19 November, 2017
The good ole 380 still good
JDfunky 1:27 AM - 19 October, 2018
The 380 is good but starting to show signs of wear. Pots in headphone volume and mix controls are crackly and sometimes don't work properly.

We'll see if the Mixars Primo turns up finally at Christmas time as rumoured..