Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Text to screen for a venue

Britty 7:31 AM - 28 May, 2016
Hey guys,

I've got a bit of an interesting one.

I'm about to start up at a venue with a bunch of screens around the venue which they want to utilise. They have a VGA input next to the DJ booth that feeds them all. I already use Serato Video at another club with basic visuals and am well prepared to do the video thing.

The management also want to incorporate some sort of text to screen element so that people can text a number or hashtag on twitter or similar and have it pop up on the screen. They also want me to have the power to veto any messages I find inappropriate before they get to the screen.

Now, I'm just doing basic party mixing, so I'm not too concerned with getting bogged down with the work of filtering messages. The issue I have is that I would like to somehow incorporate the messages with my already playing visuals.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is there a program that can work on the screen either next to or on top of serato's video output? Will I need to use a different computer and just forget the video element if they want texts?

Any help would be seriously appreciated.
Britty 7:37 AM - 28 May, 2016
Should probably also say that I am running a mac for my Serato, so it might limit the programs used.
DJ.WAZZA.AU 10:33 PM - 28 May, 2016
I use VDXM and serato video......I syphon out of serato video into VDMX ( one off VDMX video layers)......VDMX has a live web feed....that's is linked to my website or ADJF forums

Any text and photo on the night is upload to my website live ...I then take the web feed and show that live .....with the web feed I can use all the video EFXs and sound to video EFXs live .
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:42 PM - 6 June, 2016
There are some quartz composition that works with Mix Emergency. It does Instagram and Twitter feeds over lay. It also censors some common offensive words.
Check out the inklen.com forum for links to it. There is also a paid version
popnwave 6:56 PM - 6 June, 2016
New one on the scene as well:

jammtext.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:04 PM - 6 June, 2016
The other one is flyboost
skinnyguy 11:23 PM - 6 June, 2016
Vdj has it built in now.

And free to use.
skinnyguy 11:26 PM - 6 June, 2016
Okay, it doesn't go to screen, but it shows up in vdj. Request or message via web page (provided by vdj!) Or by twitter with specific hashtag.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:03 PM - 8 June, 2016
Quote:
Vdj has it built in now.

And free to use.

Gotta admit it does work pretty damn good 👌
popnwave 2:52 PM - 9 June, 2016
Ok after playing with the beta of JammText I realllly like it for simplicity. People using syphon outputs might find it lacking but for $20/mo on obligation month to month it's pretty cool. They give you a # for SMS and works nice with Instagram and Twitter. I noticed no real overhead and it played nicely once MixEmergency was set properly to allow it as a banner on top of it.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:19 PM - 9 June, 2016
Good to hear, just signed up lastnight but had no time to mess around with it 👍
popnwave 3:48 PM - 9 June, 2016
Quote:
Good to hear, just signed up lastnight but had no time to mess around with it 👍

Yeah the documentation is pretty thin, but it is pretty simple - I'm not even using the montage effect for custom artwork which I think is even more powerful full screen for people doing audio sets or hybrid music video / regular dj sets when it fills the whole screen between proper videos.
Mr Wilks 10:02 PM - 19 June, 2016
Here is one my friend made and I co-helped with.

Windows only but FREE and has data collection. Ideal for a second netbook.

www.t2smobile.co.uk
djfatal303 6:22 PM - 11 October, 2016
I tried using serato video and jammtext and it will slow down my system to the point where my audio/video were lagging and would come to a complete stop for about 10 seconds and would continue. Maybe it could be mine since I have an older MBP (15" Early 2011). My RAM is maxed at 16G.

Jammtext works fine without enabling video.

Can someone shed some light as I might need to change my settings.
popnwave 6:29 PM - 11 October, 2016
Hmmm I'm only a year ahead of you with my 2012 and didn't have any issues. I do use Mix Emergency vs Serato Video though :/
skinnyguy 7:09 PM - 11 October, 2016
mix emergency is definitely less taxing on your system
djfatal303 12:23 AM - 12 October, 2016
Thank you for the feedack. I am seriously thinking about moving over to ME.
marx 3:32 PM - 14 October, 2016
Quote:

jammtext.com

JammText is your best bet, especially with mms picture messaging. There's more than 3x interaction with text vs social media messaging. Lastly one commonly overlooked feature is auto detection, when you play a music video JammText will display in banner mode (lower third), if and when you play a music file (MP3, wav etc.) it'll automatically switch from banner mode to full screen, and obviously back again when you resume video. This is a very big deal when comparing other services.

Their team is working full speed ahead on the development front and will hear you out for new features etc. Don't miss the opportunity to engage with your audience.
popnwave 3:36 PM - 14 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

jammtext.com

JammText is your best bet, especially with mms picture messaging. There's more than 3x interaction with text vs social media messaging. Lastly one commonly overlooked feature is auto detection, when you play a music video JammText will display in banner mode (lower third), if and when you play a music file (MP3, wav etc.) it'll automatically switch from banner mode to full screen, and obviously back again when you resume video. This is a very big deal when comparing other services.

Their team is working full speed ahead on the development front and will hear you out for new features etc. Don't miss the opportunity to engage with your audience.

Yep I really give them props for soliciting feedback, I only stopped because I've taken another gig sabbatical this fall, and they asked if it was because of something they did or could do... Nice dudes and I'll be back with them once I fire things back up.
DJ Baby Boy 6:18 AM - 15 October, 2016
I wish I could've used them longer as I like the concept however since I run multiple layers from Resolume Arena it doesn't work for me at all since I can't apply it to a specific layer within the program
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:14 PM - 16 October, 2016
How does jamm text work with mix emergency?

Is it like a quartz overlay?
DJ Baby Boy 6:01 AM - 17 October, 2016
It lays over the top of the video output no quartz files which is sadly why I can't use it
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:28 AM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
It lays over the top of the video output no quartz files which is sadly why I can't use it

Does your videos still show under it?
DJ Baby Boy 9:40 AM - 17 October, 2016
Yea they do it only take up the lower 1/3rd on the screen however if it detects too much black (no video) it will enable their version of full screen mode to fill the screen

Watchwww.youtube.com
skinnyguy 5:16 PM - 17 October, 2016
I think there's a new feature which is karaoke mode. When enabled, it will always stay in lower 1/3rd mode.
popnwave 5:17 PM - 17 October, 2016
Yeah the autodetect mode doesn't play very nice with videos even if you have edge fill on. I always left it at the bottom of the screen.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:04 PM - 17 October, 2016
I suppose I can try it for a month. Does it work with Instagram? I don't think loads of folks still use Twitter around my zones.

Not so sure I'd want to use my mobile number tho. Except I buy a burner for that purpose.
popnwave 8:09 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
I suppose I can try it for a month. Does it work with Instagram? I don't think loads of folks still use Twitter around my zones.

Not so sure I'd want to use my mobile number tho. Except I buy a burner for that purpose.

They give you a mobile # in North America for SMS, but not outside of there, yet! The social media stuff is of course worldwide and I had both Twitter and Instagram going last time I used it with no problems.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:22 PM - 19 October, 2016
Just tried JammText today. I'm impressed. I'm not based in US or Canada so I'm wondering if the twitter and Instagram messages are deducted from the message limit for the different tiers
popnwave 9:58 PM - 19 October, 2016
Quote:
Just tried JammText today. I'm impressed. I'm not based in US or Canada so I'm wondering if the twitter and Instagram messages are deducted from the message limit for the different tiers

Reach out to the guys via email or Facebook, they are super responsive.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:18 AM - 20 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Reach out to the guys via email or Facebook, they are super responsive.

Just did. And they responded pronto via chat on their website.

4000 Base plan
12000 pro plan
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:21 PM - 22 October, 2016
I'm gonna test JammText tonight. I will let yall know how it goes.

In my home testing seems it runs a bit better on Yosemite than Sierra.

Like when the pictures from Instagram slide up I observed some stuttering on Sierra which I think was absent in Yosemite.

But I'm using Sierra tonight anyways as I can't start transferring my Mix emergency settings over tonight.
Culprit 7:29 PM - 22 October, 2016
I use jammtext for all my video events. The club manager for my residency on the first night was immediately impressed. He is even paying me for the service now since I just told him I was trying it out but he wants it for all his main nights and Special Events. I get compliments from everyone on it. From Customers, Promoters, Mariachi Singers, Other Djs, even the Police Department at the end of a night shift asked me what the program was.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:12 AM - 23 October, 2016
Talk about me jinxiing my night. The screens refused to work. Was gonna negotiate a pay rise tonight. Damn.
Anyways I will trouble shoot when the night ends. On the last tune tonight.
slimmjimm 1:23 AM - 23 October, 2016
Jammtext doesn't allow interaction from the Twitter handle itself though, am I right? I wasn't able to fully get it going last week since it started getting crowded earlier than usual.

I'd much rather use my @djslmjmm as opposed to a hashtag for most nights. It just seems easier to remember, and there's a "more accessible" record of it afterwards. Hashtags seem to me more event based, homecomings, weddings etc.

Are you guys getting more response for the text or social media side?
Culprit 3:31 AM - 24 October, 2016
Text side for me
slimmjimm 5:39 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Text side for me

By a large margin?
Culprit 7:21 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Text side for me

By a large margin?

Yah man, like 95 percent
Mister Vince 4:23 AM - 28 October, 2016
I'm one of the owners of JammText. We found twitter hashtag to be easier for the audience than @, especially since we do both instagram and twitter. (Instagram only allows you to poll for hashtags) Less opportunities for confusion. Also texting is way bigger and we get a lot more interaction as a result of it. We specifically optimized JammText to get the most interaction. If you have any question you can ask in our live chat on our website. One of our guys will answer you. JammText.com

Cheers
Culprit 5:40 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm one of the owners of JammText. We found twitter hashtag to be easier for the audience than @, especially since we do both instagram and twitter. (Instagram only allows you to poll for hashtags) Less opportunities for confusion. Also texting is way bigger and we get a lot more interaction as a result of it. We specifically optimized JammText to get the most interaction. If you have any question you can ask in our live chat on our website. One of our guys will answer you. JammText.com

Cheers

I think the biggest thing we need with jammtext.com is website integration and e-mail notifications and alerts when we get responses from customers so we don't have to run the program to get a response all the time.
Culprit 5:42 AM - 28 October, 2016
also, dope website, the mistervince one.. props dude
Mister Vince 4:28 PM - 28 October, 2016
Hey Culprit,

Sounds like good ideas! But I want to make sure I'm fully understanding what you are looking for. We have taken tones of feedback from our customers and are continuing to develop JammText. Love all the feedback. Would love to speak with you directly. Again can you reach out to someone on our website & say you spoke with me so we can trade #s? Let's get on a call next week.

Cheers
Culprit 5:12 PM - 28 October, 2016
sounds good dude. Just the basically notifications and access to the address book, and access or quick links to pictures from the website is all i am looking for. I'll hit up the website sometime next week
Marine 7:10 PM - 29 October, 2016
I like jammtext, but one thing that would bring this program over the top is the ability for other programs to see the screen output. Like syphon. I do live streaming and that is the only thing jammtext is missing it sees the output controls but does not see the screen output
Mister Vince 8:04 PM - 29 October, 2016
Like I said before, we are still developing JammText, and appreciate all the feedback. You definitely will see lots of things added to JammText in the future. Jammtext launched this summer 2016 and we have already added a few new features. Example: think of all the development in Serato over the past 10 plus years. I started using scratch live before it even had key lock! Now look at it. I think you will like how we grow & will be surprised by how fast JammText develops. Even as we stand now, I still feel we have many advantages over anything else on the market. We also have the best price point. But again thank you for the feedback. It has definitely been noted.
Culprit 11:00 PM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:
Like I said before, we are still developing JammText, and appreciate all the feedback. You definitely will see lots of things added to JammText in the future. Jammtext launched this summer 2016 and we have already added a few new features. Example: think of all the development in Serato over the past 10 plus years. I started using scratch live before it even had key lock! Now look at it. I think you will like how we grow & will be surprised by how fast JammText develops. Even as we stand now, I still feel we have many advantages over anything else on the market. We also have the best price point. But again thank you for the feedback. It has definitely been noted.

Keep up the good work dude
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:52 PM - 30 October, 2016
Used JammText last night. Its quickly turned into "I'm single ready to mingle" post board. 😆
Any plans to introduce text for non US based users?

Can approved post be removed after approval.
Culprit 6:28 PM - 30 October, 2016
I'm getting a glitch with the latest version on OSX. When you approve messages it skips every other picture message. So you see 1 and you can't see the next one, but you can approve or deny it, then the following one works. V1.1.1
Mister Vince 11:56 PM - 30 October, 2016
DJ Marv,

Yes you can remove post after approving them, goto the messages feed, highlight the message and hit the X. You can approve rejected messages or reject approved messages at anytime during your event.

Culprit,

We do not officially support (OS X 10-12 Sierra) yet. Thats coming soon, but try the latest update of JammText version 1.1.2. and see if that works for you. You can also submit a bug report and we can look into it. From the pulldown window goto "Help / Send Bug Report"

Cheers
Culprit 1:23 AM - 31 October, 2016
Thanks Vince,

I am running Yosemite
IamDJLo 2:18 AM - 4 March, 2017
I have been using Jamm Text for the past couple months. I love it. I use it with serato DJ and
I am making the switch to mix emergancy. Great product Vince!!!!
Culprit 8:38 AM - 4 March, 2017
Agreed great product
Mister Vince 4:18 AM - 7 March, 2017
IamDJLo & Culprit, Thanks guys!! We got a lot of good things coming to JammText in the near future so stay posted..
Culprit 1:45 AM - 8 March, 2017
Quote:
IamDJLo & Culprit, Thanks guys!! We got a lot of good things coming to JammText in the near future so stay posted..

Awesome, I would really love a quick "respond" button next to the reject button, and also a quick block button too.

so

"Accept", "Reject", "Respond", "Reject & Block"
DJ Baby Boy 4:59 AM - 8 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome, I would really love a quick "respond" button next to the reject button, and also a quick block button too.

so

That would be incredible to have!
Mister Vince 8:29 PM - 8 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so

Hey guys, are you looking for these features to be added in the control window? Because you can already block people with one click from the messages feed. Also the quick respond button is a feature that will be out in the next version of JammText. But I'm definitely interested in what your thoughts are for these buttons.

thanks
Culprit 8:44 PM - 8 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so

Hey guys, are you looking for these features to be added in the control window? Because you can already block people with one click from the messages feed. Also the quick respond button is a feature that will be out in the next version of JammText. But I'm definitely interested in what your thoughts are for these buttons.

thanks

Hey Vince,

When we are in live mode, sometimes the list does not populate fast enough to reply or block. I am using the latest version 1.04 on Macbook Pro. Sometimes when I switch windows the program crashes as well.
Mister Vince 3:20 PM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:

Hey Vince,

When we are in live mode, sometimes the list does not populate fast enough to reply or block. I am using the latest version 1.04 on Macbook Pro. Sometimes when I switch windows the program crashes as well.

Are you talking about the list in the message feed? Are you sure your system matches our minimum requirements? With that said, we should get to the bottom of this. You should send in a bug report.

To fill out a bug report, You can do this by going into the JammText app and click Help->Send Bug Report from the menu.

Also for a much quicker response, fill out a trouble ticket at www.mixcityinc.com . This will give us more information about your situation so that we may better assist you.

You can also find answers to many common questions on our knowledge base at www.mixcityinc.com

Finally, I would still like to know if you wanted the new bottoms you described on the control window. (The window that sits above your Serato controls). Or in the main app on the message feed page.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Culprit 5:05 PM - 9 March, 2017
I'm talking about the area where you can type a response to the customer. The message feed works as expected. How do you quickly block someone in the message feed?
Mister Vince 6:38 PM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
I'm talking about the area where you can type a response to the customer. The message feed works as expected. How do you quickly block someone in the message feed?

Blocking Contacts
If a contact is harassing you, you can block them. This will automatically reject any messages from that phone number, Twitter username, or Instagram username. For example, if the same person repeatedly sends offensive or annoying messages, from the message feed page, select one of their messages and click the block icon.
jammtext.com

Or go to the person's contact in the address book and select to block or unblock them.
jammtext.com
Culprit 7:54 AM - 10 March, 2017
Got it, I never noticed that button before.
David Barese 5:42 PM - 14 September, 2017
Quote:

so

Hey Culprit, the reply button is added to the control window in the latest version of JammText (ver 1.2). Thx for your feedback on this.