DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Questionable/atypical wedding song requests

d:raf 1:50 AM - 28 May, 2016
So, I have a wedding gig coming up with some... "questionable" song requests. I know that a lot of people don't listen to lyrics, but some of these seem a bit over the top. Along with some of the usual suspects (Outkast's "Hey Ya", Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance", Soft Cell's "Tainted Love", etc.), they've also asked for:

Cee-Lo Green-"Fuck/Forget You"
Pink-"So What"
Beyoncé-"Irreplaceable"
Adele-"Rolling In The Deep"
Bon Jovi-"You Give Love A Bad Name"
The Rolling Stones-"Paint It, Black"
Shaggy feat. Rik Rok-"It Wasn't Me"

They've asked for more than enough music (13 hours worth for 5-6 hours worth of actual play time) so I can save these for direct requests or avoid playing them at all, but I think it's both funny and fascinating.

Any of you guys get any non-weddinglike wedding requests?
Tommy Deem 2:15 AM - 28 May, 2016
Yep :)
Rebelguy 2:35 AM - 28 May, 2016
All the time...
DJ Stoyvo 5:00 AM - 28 May, 2016
Yup.

Bride and grooms first dance was Trap Queen. Also got requests for songs like the avengers theme song or the John Cena entrance chune
DJ Reflex 6:22 AM - 28 May, 2016
Almost every weekend! Always some sappy break-up song or death metal for some reason!?!
d:raf 9:22 PM - 7 July, 2017
Latest request to add to this list: Beyoncé's "Hold Up".

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Matty Stiles 4:03 PM - 9 July, 2017
Man where I'm from "it wasn't me" would be a sure fire hit
MexiKanMan 8:09 PM - 9 July, 2017
I'm not surprised anymore by what they request. I alway try to ask, "what song(s) don't you want played." At some point one or both of them had something on the side and a certain song will remind the other party of that time. It can really save some embarrassment from them having to run to the booth and ask you to "please play something else."
deezlee 9:03 PM - 9 July, 2017
If their parents are divorced, find out what "their song" was and don't play it!
d:raf 10:02 PM - 10 July, 2017
Quote:
I'm not surprised anymore by what they request. I alway try to ask, "what song(s) don't you want played." At some point one or both of them had something on the side and a certain song will remind the other party of that time. It can really save some embarrassment from them having to run to the booth and ask you to "please play something else."

I ask that too on the questionnaire I send beforehand, but usually all they put there is line dances, the chicken dance, country music and YMCA (although one time someone strongly insisted on "no Luther Vandross", and another had "no Luke Bryan").

I asked the bride about the Beyoncé song to make sure she didn't mistake it for "7/11" or something (on their song list they had a few misnamed tunes/artists and a few with song names replace by the track number so I knew they weren't -that- diligent) but she said she loved Bey so it was "all good". I played it during dinner; she thanked me out loud and went around the reception singing the hook to guests; pretty sure it was the only part of the song she cared about.