Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video and AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3

DJTiggur 1:50 PM - 24 May, 2016
I was about to purchase a pair of Windows 10 Laptops with Intel i7 processors and AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3 graphics cards. Will Serato video work with these?

Thanks in advance!
Colin Raininger
DJ Tecniq 3:43 PM - 24 May, 2016
A pair? Why not just get a MacBook Pro
DJTiggur 4:23 PM - 24 May, 2016
DJ Tecniq,
I really despise when people answer my question with another question.
I also despise when people don't just answer the question I am asking.

To answer your question, i don't just get a MacBook Pro, because I need to buy a pair of laptops. AND, the solution to every question ISN'T "Just get a MacBook Pro".
DJ Tecniq 4:25 PM - 24 May, 2016
Quote:
DJ Tecniq,
I really despise when people answer my question with another question.
I also despise when people don't just answer the question I am asking.

To answer your question, i don't just get a MacBook Pro, because I need to buy a pair of laptops. AND, the solution to every question ISN'T "Just get a MacBook Pro".
Macbook Pro's work best with Serato Video keep that in mind when you start having problemsšŸ‘ŒšŸ»
DJTiggur 4:58 PM - 24 May, 2016
DJ Tecniq,
Thanks ...
i know more DJs using Serato Video with Windows machines than with Macs.
I've been using Serato with Windows Machines since it was released.

I'm happy to take my chances - after doing the homework.

I've read enough posts comparing the two systems.
Now I just want to know how it works with the Video Card in Question.
popnwave 6:32 PM - 24 May, 2016
Better off asking what make/model of laptop you are considering vs the card. Every machine is different and a Lenovo using that card isn't going to be the same as an Alienware running that card.
DJTiggur 8:55 PM - 24 May, 2016
I am planning on purchasing a pair of:

Inspiron 17 5000 series
6th Generation IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-6500U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)
8GB RAM, 1600MHz
AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3

OR

New Inspiron 15 7000 Series
6th Generation IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)]
8GB RAM, 1600MHz
NVIDIAĀ® GeForceĀ® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
Code:E 9:05 PM - 30 May, 2016
You can at best hope someone on here owns one or both of those computers and says it works. Else you just ask us what we think, and all we can tell you is they meet the recommended requirements, so they should work. SHOULD. No body has any idea more than you do. If you have done your homework you already know the stat's and how many more pro users are on macs. And how nobody gives a fuck about anyone's opinion. There's PC users saying it can work, and if you meet the specs there's no specific reason it shouldn't, and a million reason (all of which relate back to windows) on why it wont. But try it. The best you can do is buy a high spec machine and try it. And hope they have a 15 day return policy.
DJTiggur 6:54 AM - 31 May, 2016
Code:E - impressive writing. And while you clearly are not a fan of Windows computers, you have poetically inspired me to go wtih my gutt. Thank you.

I have been DJing with Serato for almost a decade now on an Alienware, a Dell XPS, a Dell Studio, and a Dell Inspiron, and am only making a new purchase based on the fact that I want a cloned pair of laptops with the appropriate video card to use Serato Video. I have used an SL, an SL1, and a Denon MC-6000, all trouble free with my machines, and as you say one of the machines I have chosen meet the recommended requirements, so I have no doubt it will be okay.
DJ Tecniq 7:37 AM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
New Inspiron 15 7000 Series
6th Generation IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)]
8GB RAM, 1600MHz
NVIDIAĀ® GeForceĀ® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
I would go with this one. I think you'd have better luck with the NVIDIA card. For example my Mid 2014 MBP has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 M 2048 MB, 16 gigs ram and runs video flawlessly. However both different computers so results may vary.
DJ Tecniq 7:42 AM - 31 May, 2016
Also I run SmcFancontrol to keep the fans from overheating. Not sure if pc's have a similar program but it does help esp with mixing HD videošŸ‘šŸ» good luck
DJTiggur 12:22 PM - 31 May, 2016
Thanks DJ Tecniq,

I agree, that seems like the one I'm going with, and it comes with a singe 8GB RAM Chip, expandable to 32 GB - I'm going to throw in another 8GB in each i already have from another computer right off the bat. And the Fan Control DOES exist as part of the control panel.
Code:E 6:06 PM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
Code:E - impressive writing. And while you clearly are not a fan of Windows computers, you have poetically inspired me to go wtih my gutt. Thank you.

I take it that is sarcasm. I'm not really too concerned with how I write. More that I give no BS clean cut info.

Yes I like OSX better. But it's all about the application. For DJing with Video's Serato and Mix Emergency are by far the best combo. But I do use many PC's in Video system installs running Resolume. Are PC's capable, yes, are they better at doing Video DJing, No.

Honestly, specs wise both machine far surpass what you need. If you are capable with dealing with Driver issues. And codecs then you shouldn't have any problems.
popnwave 6:18 PM - 31 May, 2016
Too bad Video DJing isn't like gaming, PCs would blow Macs out of the water time and time again.
Code:E 6:45 PM - 31 May, 2016
Quote:
Too bad Video DJing isn't like gaming, PCs would blow Macs out of the water time and time again.

^^^^ This. Hell feature and ports and option on a PC destroy macs. Serato just works better on OSX and ME is OSX only. :(
DJTiggur 9:48 PM - 31 May, 2016
Code:E,

I wasn't being sarcastic - I appreciate what you wrote.
Code:E 10:15 PM - 31 May, 2016
Oh well in that case, your welcome ;)
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:43 AM - 2 July, 2016
Quote:

I have been DJing with Serato for almost a decade now on an Alienware, a Dell XPS, a Dell Studio, and a Dell Inspiron, and am only making a new purchase based on the fact that I want a cloned pair of laptops with the appropriate video card to use Serato Video. I have used an SL, an SL1, and a Denon MC-6000, all trouble free with my machines, and as you say one of the machines I have chosen meet the recommended requirements, so I have no doubt it will be okay.

Is it the XPS 13 you have? If so what's the specs and how is it with Serato DJ?
Looking to get an XPS 13 for personal use but will like to to be a formidable back up if my Mac is not available for any reason.
DJTiggur 1:53 PM - 2 July, 2016
I bought a pair of the Dell Inspiron 7559 - the gaming edition. It was the least expensive Dell that met (exceeded) the requirements. It has a spot for an M2 SSD, which I just installed, and migrated all of the OS and Apps to, so that the HDD is freed up for purely my music and videos.
At the time of the original post, they were over $400 off each, so saving $800+ made the $2700 final price too good to pass up.

One thing I like about Dell is the ability to order it exactly the way you want it (based on available options). You can also talk with sales and technical support people before you buy. And after all of that, you can still order it on your own and (in Canada) get Air Miles!

Their warranties are well worth the money. I buy the "no fault" package for the maximum time. Anything breaks (down) in 4 years, it is repaired "no questions asked" at your home within 48 hours. And if they can't fix it, you get a complete replacement. I have had mine serviced regularly - one time it was served at a gig location! And my XPS with a cracked lid was completely swapped with an Alienware, because it was 4 years old, and the casing was out of production!

This is why I stick with Dell.
Even my video projectors are Dell.
And, if you are financially tapped, you can get in-house financing.
DJ Tecniq 2:48 AM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
I bought a pair of the Dell Inspiron 7559 - the gaming edition. It was the least expensive Dell that met (exceeded) the requirements. It has a spot for an M2 SSD, which I just installed, and migrated all of the OS and Apps to, so that the HDD is freed up for purely my music and videos.
At the time of the original post, they were over $400 off each, so saving $800+ made the $2700 final price too good to pass up.

One thing I like about Dell is the ability to order it exactly the way you want it (based on available options). You can also talk with sales and technical support people before you buy. And after all of that, you can still order it on your own and (in Canada) get Air Miles!

Their warranties are well worth the money. I buy the "no fault" package for the maximum time. Anything breaks (down) in 4 years, it is repaired "no questions asked" at your home within 48 hours. And if they can't fix it, you get a complete replacement. I have had mine serviced regularly - one time it was served at a gig location! And my XPS with a cracked lid was completely swapped with an Alienware, because it was 4 years old, and the casing was out of production!

This is why I stick with Dell.
Even my video projectors are Dell.
And, if you are financially tapped, you can get in-house financing.
How are your 2 Windows laptops doing with Serato video? Just curious as I have a friend wanting a PC to work with a Windows machine.
DJ Tecniq 2:49 AM - 19 September, 2016
I meant Serato Video* to works with a PC.
DJTiggur 3:44 AM - 19 September, 2016
I have one set up, and have been using it with Serato DJ, Serato Scratch Live, and Serato Video since the end of July. It has been flawless. With the operating system and applications now on the SSD, Windows boots up in 34 seconds and Serato DJ boots up in 12.

I haven't opened the second unit yet - i haven't had time!
I will need it soon , as I have a few jobs coming up which require two DJ setups in different rooms.
DJ Tecniq 3:53 AM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
With the operating system and applications now on the SSD, Windows boots up in 34 seconds and Serato DJ boots up in 12.
Wow that's quite slow as a Mac boots up OS X in less than 10 seconds as for SDJ maybe 8 or less. Which is why I prefer Mac. But that's not bad either. What graphics card is running SV well on the PC? The graphics card is the biggest factor besides ram. Thanks
DJTiggur 4:00 PM - 19 September, 2016
as i wrote in the subject line of this post, it has an AMD Radeon R5 M335 4GB DDR3

I'm happy with 34 seconds, including login time.
my Alienware boots up in 1.2 mins, including login time, with standard HHD, so I'm happy.