Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

MCX8000 or XDJ-RX or.......wait for new Pioneer standalone unit ???

Meekeen 12:03 AM - 15 May, 2016
Guys

What would you get please?

MCX8000 or XDJ-RX or.....maybe wait for Pioneer's move now? (since XDJ-RX is almost 1.5 years old now, SZ is almost 2.5 years old and SX2 is almost 2 years old and MCX8000 is out so Pioneer is bound to do something right?)

I have really been reading a lot but never tested the MCX8000 as I live in a shit country where you can't just test things anywhere.
I used to live in usa and had SZ there but I moved to Europe so sold the SZ in the usa. I don't think I'm going for the SZ - it was awesome, but....too expensive and not standalone.

What I need out of a controller is:
-being able to work with laptop (at home) or completely standalone (laptop free) as I will be gigging a lot in pubs and places by the beach
-I need to have things like Flip + Slicer so that I am able to do simple re-edits of songs instead of going with things like Ableton (which I have no knowledge of using)
-DVS and standalone mixer functionality would be great

Pros and cons of the units.

MCX8000
Pros:
-great sound
-great, all metal build quality (none of the Pioneer's controllers have all metal build)
-DVS available, 4 channels standalone mixer
-2 separate screens instead of one (I don't want to 'waveride')
-cheaper yet more feature rich then xdj-rx

Cons:
-no recording to USB (this is honestly a joke)
-Engine 1.5 not very stable on laptop
-some reports of unit freezing when in standalone mode
-some reports that Slicer and Sampler are very unusable in standalone mode
-latency issues (?) - have to set latency at 5 or even 10ms in order not to 'clog' usb connection
-Headphones Cues are lit up all the time and lit up too brightly
-questionable (at best!) mirroring approach (although screens are not mirrored - lack of consistency by Denon)
-only 3 effects available in standalone mode AND those effects are not the most commonly used/handy ones unfortunately
-too many LEDs everywhere, which are too bright and too many colors - it starts to look a bit tacky (toyish), instead of classy (professional)

XDJ-RX
Pros:
-simple and very efficient recording to USB available
-Recordbox (prep software) more stable then Engine 1.5
-few (if any) reports of unit freezing/crashing when used in standalone mode
-a lot of effects available in standalone mode
-asymetric build which mimics 2 CDJs + mixer better
-more professional look with fewer and less bright LEDs

Cons:
-no DVS
-2 channels standalone mixer only
-more plasticy feel then MCX8000
-1 screen only with parallel waveforms which encourages wave riding
-more expensive
-no split headphone Cues

I have nearly decided for MCX8000. I feel that most of the its cons can be tackled by Denon themselves via introducing solutions with firmware - the question is: will they be listening to people and act on it or not. You know, things like: Cue led brightness, maybe recording functionality in standalone mode, improve stability of both Engine on laptop and when in standalone mode etc. And those 3 effects in standalone mode SHOULD be user defined via utility menu or something, c'mmon Denon! I also think that we could use Ethernet connection (those of us who won't be using it for StageLinq) instead of USB to solve latency issue.

What you guys think? please cast your votes, experiences (especially from those who have those units) much appreciated.
Or maybe I should wait for Pioneer's move now (which will be big I feel.....I suppose something like ddj-sx2 + 2 screens?) ? ?

many thanks
Mr Wilks 2:26 PM - 15 May, 2016
Quote:
Guys

What would you get please?

MCX8000 or XDJ-RX or.....maybe wait for Pioneer's move now? (since XDJ-RX is almost 1.5 years old now, SZ is almost 2.5 years old and SX2 is almost 2 years old and MCX8000 is out so Pioneer is bound to do something right?)

I have really been reading a lot but never tested the MCX8000 as I live in a shit country where you can't just test things anywhere.
I used to live in usa and had SZ there but I moved to Europe so sold the SZ in the usa. I don't think I'm going for the SZ - it was awesome, but....too expensive and not standalone.

What I need out of a controller is:
-being able to work with laptop (at home) or completely standalone (laptop free) as I will be gigging a lot in pubs and places by the beach
-I need to have things like Flip + Slicer so that I am able to do simple re-edits of songs instead of going with things like Ableton (which I have no knowledge of using)
-DVS and standalone mixer functionality would be great

Pros and cons of the units.

MCX8000
Pros:
-great sound
-great, all metal build quality (none of the Pioneer's controllers have all metal build)
-DVS available, 4 channels standalone mixer
-2 separate screens instead of one (I don't want to 'waveride')
-cheaper yet more feature rich then xdj-rx

Cons:
-no recording to USB (this is honestly a joke)
-Engine 1.5 not very stable on laptop
-some reports of unit freezing when in standalone mode
-some reports that Slicer and Sampler are very unusable in standalone mode
-latency issues (?) - have to set latency at 5 or even 10ms in order not to 'clog' usb connection
-Headphones Cues are lit up all the time and lit up too brightly
-questionable (at best!) mirroring approach (although screens are not mirrored - lack of consistency by Denon)
-only 3 effects available in standalone mode AND those effects are not the most commonly used/handy ones unfortunately
-too many LEDs everywhere, which are too bright and too many colors - it starts to look a bit tacky (toyish), instead of classy (professional)

XDJ-RX
Pros:
-simple and very efficient recording to USB available
-Recordbox (prep software) more stable then Engine 1.5
-few (if any) reports of unit freezing/crashing when used in standalone mode
-a lot of effects available in standalone mode
-asymetric build which mimics 2 CDJs + mixer better
-more professional look with fewer and less bright LEDs

Cons:
-no DVS
-2 channels standalone mixer only
-more plasticy feel then MCX8000
-1 screen only with parallel waveforms which encourages wave riding
-more expensive
-no split headphone Cues

I have nearly decided for MCX8000. I feel that most of the its cons can be tackled by Denon themselves via introducing solutions with firmware - the question is: will they be listening to people and act on it or not. You know, things like: Cue led brightness, maybe recording functionality in standalone mode, improve stability of both Engine on laptop and when in standalone mode etc. And those 3 effects in standalone mode SHOULD be user defined via utility menu or something, c'mmon Denon! I also think that we could use Ethernet connection (those of us who won't be using it for StageLinq) instead of USB to solve latency issue.

What you guys think? please cast your votes, experiences (especially from those who have those units) much appreciated.
Or maybe I should wait for Pioneer's move now (which will be big I feel.....I suppose something like ddj-sx2 + 2 screens?) ? ?

many thanks

Well Meekeen, you've done a lot of research and picked out every negative (and positive) about the two units that's been discussed around the various threads. Top marks for research! If people did half of what you've done before a purchase the world would have less headaches!

So... You've really nailed the points and now it just comes down to what you prefer. I think there's not a lot to add as you've literally covered everything.

I've had an email from Denon (well it was InMusic) and they confirmed they are watching very closely to customer feedback. They are looking at the products reaction and what we are writing. New features and improvements are almost certain to happen based on what we find and decide works/doesn't work. It's a different approach to Pioneer as they just release a MK2 product 18 months later with features that's could have been added with firmware.
Let's just see. I hope for USB recording too but the lack of beat grids in engine will need to be sorted first. The slicer just doesn't snap to the music transients so a grid is essential. Admittedly, they didn't have to have included a slicer in stand alone and it wouldn't have detracted away from it but including it and it not being right is a shame. Let's hope they nail it soon.

Stand alone works good. It feels like you've gone back to basics a little and used CDJs. The play and cue buttons have a Pioneer style way of play then pause to set the temporary cue (CDJ style) which differs from Serato where you just press the cue point. So yeah, if wave riding isn't your thing I think you'll like that 'raw' feel of using it.

As regard to latency issues. I'm running it at 2ms with no issues on a 2012 MBP with 16GB RAM 2.3 i7 quad core. I think you just knock it up one notch if you experience any issues but some aren't so it depends really.

The sounds is much better than any Pio gear I've heard at that price point. The metal construction adds weight but feels amazing in the hand.

The cue lights. Now I don't think it's that they are too bright when on... It's too bright when they are off! I'm sure this could be dealt with in firmware as the dim state of "off" seems to be much more than a soft glow.

Agreed on the amount of colour. It's peppered with orange and blue. I'd have gone with one colour all over and made it look a bit uniform and add a bit of class but hey-ho! It really looks eye catching in the dark.
By adding the pad colours to the mix there's a lot of colour. A little too much maybe but you don't notice it after a bit. It's just the initial overall look you give it.

I hated the mirroring to start with as I came from Pioneer gear too but after three weeks on it (three six hour gigs a week) I am used to it. I'd have rolled with asymmetrical all over myself as the screen and buttons are but it's a memory musscle game. A few weeks and you'll be fine.

Engine software in Windows... Now I can't drag any Serato crate into it like that say I can... InMusic UK confirmed they couldn't too so I'm gonna guess it's going to be logged and I'll expect to see a fix soon. It's not as advanced as Rekordbox but that's had many years head start. I know engine isn't new but this is kinda like a start of a new beginning. Class this as a V1.0 really. It will get better as InMusic will be using Denon as their true Pioneer challenger. Let's hope their customer service is better than Pioneers! It seems so already so if they stick with giving us new features and not abandoning us after purchase we'll have faith in them.

One small thing I like is that it has two pairs of XLR outputs on the back. Can be used as a second room output and the best bit is you can choose to kill the mic on that output! Brilliant move (it's the little things). I don't have the mic coming through the monitors now adding feedback and can play to a second room without my voice appearing over the music.

FX are lacking but suppose more could be added at some point via firmware. Maybe add a cheap RMX 500 to the unit and have it on the master out? It's an extra box but will give Pioneer FX on Denon build quality. Not ideal but workable.

Saying all that... Pioneer will be ready to counteract at some point soon. Will we see another Serato controller though? Who knows? Pioneer have started the all in-house move so maybe the next controller will be an RX/SX combo but drops Serato? I think we'll see something in the next few months as BPM is in September here in the UK.

Summery:
Amazing build. Amazing sound. Back to basics approach to USB (you don't have to scan the tracks in Engine). Denon are watching all feedback to improve. Well spaced controls.

The mirrored look is subjective and you'll find you either don't mind it or hate it. I hated it... But I'm getting used to it now so don't worry, just persevere with it and you'll be totally fine after a few weeks.

As an overall score it gets a 9/10 from me. Just the cue button lights, layout and lack of beat grids for the loops and slicer get a negative from me. CDJ 1000s don't have beat grids in 'em so feels like looping and slicing on them. If you loop in USB mode then expect to be adjusting the loops in & out points (like a CDJ).

Best controller I've ever owned and enjoy using it lots. It just needs a little refining and nearly all can be done with firmware. I'm confident it will get better over time.

Hope it's helped.
Mr Wilks 2:41 PM - 15 May, 2016
Oh... And the Ethernet connection on the back will be interesting. I'm not sure if the port will be just for StageLinq or could be used for other things.

I'm looking forward to see their upcoming software that will control the lighting. I'll be definitely trying it at the club I'm at. Strobes on builds and cue point triggering will be great. I just hope it works with Seratoand not exclusive to Engine.
Meekeen 12:15 AM - 16 May, 2016
Wilxx / Wilks !!!!!!
Many many thanks for your detailed reply, time and effort you have taken to type it in and read all my post. Not many people do that these days - therefore I appreciate it even more ;)

That's exactly what I was looking for: a detailed and thorough reply by someone who actually owns the unit! mega!!!
I will buy the MCX8000 now and give Denon a bit of credit trust hoping they will be incorporating changes via the firmware to address all of the above that we have both mentioned. They are not serious issues and thankfully they can be dealt with mostly via firmware upgrade.
To me the most important thing they should incorporate asap that way would be: three user definable effects for standalone mode (I mean c'mmon, this must be easy to do but it would make our life so much better. Actually, if the knobs for FXs are 'push type' I would make it possible for each knob to control 3 effects and one would change them by pushing in the knob which would give us 9 effects to use in total); ability to record to USB (that is a must and should be introduced asap) and changing Cues illumination to barely lit when off and maximum lit when on. Also, the ethernet port is there so common - let us use it instead of usb to avoid latency. I know it's meant to be for Stagelinq but not every DJ will use it for that purpose so.....

I also forgot to write about one con for mcx8000 which is......it's too low imho. I will be using it along with one turntable on one side and one SC3900 (SC3900 for DVS mode as I like when 'things move a bit' when I DJ and a turntable for few vinyl records I got). Now, if I put those two on the sides of the mcx8000.....the pitch sliders on mcx8000 may become very hard to operate since the working surface of the mcx8000 is like twice too low in comparison to the 'standard height'.If one looks at xdj-rx or ddj-sz they are both the height of TT/CDJ in terms of working surface which goes a long way.
Generally it occurs to me now that Denon hasn't packaged mcx8000 well: it is twice too low, design is mirrored (bar the screens! Where is consistency Denon?!?!) which is a flaw and it looks a bit tacky with too many LEDs which are too bright and too colorful (I would use for example use mainly 3 colors to make it look classy: blue or xenon blue, red and white maybe) - if you look at xdj-rx it looks better a bit (I know that looks are not important with DJ gear but you know....I will be staring at it hours on end hehe).
Well I will have to live with this 'packaging' as Denon won't change it now (where most other bugs can be solved via firmware) but I think that in the future Denon should incorporate these suggestions about the physical layout/appearance + offer 2 sister units:
one the successor to the mcx8000 and focussed on the mobility so the same size and height (i.e. low) with better looks and asymetric layout and call it maybe mcx9000 (I would actually call it something meaningful and not shitty numbers....it gets remembered so much better - just look at Event and their top of the line monitors called Opal. Sounds way better then XF2045MZ hehe).
The second unit should be almost the same internally but....focussed on home use. Make it bigger (footprint wise) and make it much taller so matches TTs and CDJs height. On top of that include motorized platters and make the screeens slightly bigger (7'' each would be perfect) and make them touchscreen with qwerty keyboard for incremental search. Call it mcx10000, charge more for it of course and let people decide what suits them best. (of course, make it asymmetric, with better looks too).

It also occurred to me that I can't even have the XDJ-RX as there is no Slicer or Flip - two essential functions for me to repackage songs to my liking.
I am also not waiting for them (Pioneer) to make up their minds and release a new unit. Plus, I have a feeling that now, when they have Rekordbox DJ developed which competes with Serato, their answer to mcx8000 may actually not be supporting serato at all but solely Rekordbox DJ and....I kind of like Serato DJ a lot so don't want to make a jump.

Do you have email for denon/inmusic Wilxx? I will hit them up with all my suggestions too heh.
You have helped massively too. Many thanks for that.
Hit me up on Facebook if you're on there: Arkadiusz Mikina living in Modica.

holla :D
DJ Yaitanis 2:55 PM - 29 January, 2017
I have all set up all X for my customers

Pioneer XDJ RX, DDJ SX (1 & 2,) RX, SZ and the Denon MCX 8000

By far the XDJ RX sounded far superior than any ther controller (including Mic 1&2.

All crept for the XDJ have a downside. No qwerty Search option (this can be achieved on the RX by using Rekordbox on iPhone or iPad.

I can see the XDJ RX MK2 with touch coming out soon which will be show stopper.

Not sure what Denon Plans with a MCX8000MK2

You are correct that Engine Sucks a Wad. However Denon is promising 8000 owners a Engine Prime Upgrade..

I can say this about the Denon Unit it is a better build quality! Hats off in that department but The XDJ comes with upgraded Innofaders.

In the Denon there is a Eithernet hook up no idea yet what it's for and nobody has ever heard of the lighting company referenced I think it was a total bamboozel!

The RX is more $$$, Frankly out of the 8000's class.

If you can't wait and have the Money I would go with the RX.
Rebelguy 7:55 PM - 29 January, 2017
When buying hardware always buy it for what it is...not what it will be. There are many stories of hardware manufacturers promising updates and never delivering. Sometimes they do deliver but it can be months to a year or more before they do.

Find the unit that has the features you need right now and make your decision from there.
DJ Yaitanis 9:28 PM - 29 January, 2017
Quote:
When buying hardware always buy it for what it is...not what it will be. There are many stories of hardware manufacturers promising updates and never delivering. Sometimes they do deliver but it can be months to a year or more before they do.

Find the unit that has the features you need right now and make your decision from there.
Lou Dog 7:08 AM - 14 March, 2017
@DJ Yaitanis

So with the rekordbox app on your phone with songs loaded you can QWERTY search? But with only songs on that device correct? Not on an external USB that is also plugged in to the XDJ-RX. Just looking for some clarification. Thanks man
Blueman123 9:06 PM - 27 June, 2017
@Meeken
I just wanted to ask if Denon fixed all the problems and how your experience is so far? I am thinking of buying a new Controller and I cannot decide which one.

Thanks in advance
Tibor_DX 10:45 AM - 13 August, 2017
Hey, could somebody who actually uses the unit answer me one question; how many of the channels are usable in standalone-mode?
I was super bummed as i heard there's only 2 channels when no software is running in the back.... A confirmation would be great, before i go cry in a corner.
Tibor_DX 11:09 AM - 13 August, 2017
Ah schould be mentioned, i'm talking about the mcx8000
acemc 1:10 AM - 14 August, 2017
Only 2 channels available in stand alone mode with the 8000. I.e.: decks 1&2.
The Funk Society 12:18 PM - 14 August, 2017
Right now, I use Engine as a back up as it lacks some functionality I like to use. I have a particular workflow when playing / prepping tracks with Serato and it's just easier, even though I'd like to play without the laptop.

Simple things like quickly sorting crates, having multiple saved loops, cue point names etc... Don't get me wrong, Engine is OK, just lacks the refinement if you're used to Serato.

Hopefully with Prime on the way, it will address some of the short comings.
Meekeen 12:12 PM - 15 August, 2017
Is MCX8000 getting Prime or any meaningful update of Engine anytime soon or Denon DJ just don't care about MCX8000 users anymore?
acemc 12:58 PM - 15 August, 2017
Quote:
Is MCX8000 getting Prime or any meaningful update of Engine anytime soon or Denon DJ just don't care about MCX8000 users anymore?

What Denon say & what Denon actually do, seem to be completely different things.
Denon said "some" version of Engine Prime would be made to export a database for the 8000. But what version that will be remains to be seen. It could be v1.1 or v110.1!!!
So I don't think anybody really knows anymore.
I've lost all faith in Denon and unless they pull their finger out of their ass & sort their shit out, their whole "change your rider" strategy is gonna go down the drain. I see the SC5000 has a grounding issue that gives a buzz on the output when a track is loaded. Apparently it's a hardware fault - something to do with screening or grounding. IDK! but yet no mention of it from the big name dj's! Who can we trust nowadays ?
Watchwww.youtube.com
Chino 5:44 PM - 15 August, 2017
Quote:
I see the SC5000 has a grounding issue that gives a buzz on the output when a track is loaded. Apparently it's a hardware fault - something to do with screening or grounding. IDK! but yet no mention of it from the big name dj's! Who can we trust nowadays ?

That's why I always prefer product reviews that are done by DJs who actually buy the products with their own hard earned $$$!! That way you know your getting an honest review whether it's positive or negative!!!
Kwizzo 9:40 PM - 27 September, 2017
Previously a DDJ-SX owner, I recently purchased the MCX8000. My thoughts/experiences with it are as follows...

I originally wanted the XDJ-RZX, as this was Pioneer and had every function I was looking for, except one: USB slots for standalone mode. WTF Pioneer! So, that out of the way, it was down to the XDJ-RX, or the MCX8000. I opted for the latter (even though they can both only use two-channels in Standalone mode) because sometimes, I do like to play around with 4-channel mixing in Serato, and at least the option is there.

Like you, I am frustrated at the lack of USB drive recording. I don't know why this isn't an option, but I'm not sure why it couldn't have been done onboard. So, that was a problem.

Also, Slicer mode on the MCX8000 (in Standalone) is basically unuseable. I haven't really figured out what exactly it's trying to do as a function, but it is essentially a less-useful Roll at this point; not a Slicer at all. That's one of those thing that hopefully a software update can fix.. BUT....

My main (and initial issue) with the 8000 was the hardware freezing up on me. In Serato DJ or in Standalone, the right display would freeze and become unresponsive altogether, while the rest of the right-hand transport controls still functioned. I tried advice from the Internet and turned down LED brightness, reset to factory, even downgrading firmware. But in the end, I had to RMA the unit. Currently, I have a new one from Denon that came just a few days ago, and it has worked flawlessly. HOWEVER, now I am quite wary of updating any firmware lest the new firmware/software components break upon doing so. In full disclosure, the new unit has a higher Display Version number than my first 8000 did, but all of the other device firmware modules are lower, so hopefully the freezing issue was just one with the display hardware. Being that the new 8000 has been functioning fine and not locking up, I'm going to just leave it as is. If they do upgrade the onboard Engine software though (fixing Slicer, maybe?!), I'll probably take the chance and upgrade.

Hardware-wise, the build-quality is solid. It reminds me of my DDJ-SX in the sense that it has a hefty, metal build that doesn't feel cheap. The faders feel about average, but I don't see the Play/Cue buttons standing up to heavy use. The jog wheels are large enough and work well, with the precision being tuneable through the onboard Settings menu. However, I haven't had a need to adjust them from their default setting ("0").

The Search function while using Standalone is serviceable, but leaves something to be desired. I haven't found a way to sort columns on it yet, but hopefully that's something that can be fixed through firmware. The same could be said of onboard FX; the three that there are to choose from do the job, but aren't particularly newsworthy.

As someone else said, buy the controller for the features it has and not what the manufacturer say it "will" have. Unfortunately, I am almost at the end of my 45-day evaluation period, and am quite conflicted about whether or not to keep this device. I don't love it as much as I thought I would, but it's not terrible, either. If there was a 4-channel XDJ-RX with recording and 4-channel standalone and Slicer functionality, I would have already sent this back and probably gotten that instead. But, there's not, there doesn't seem to be one forthcoming, and I'll probably just end up hanging on to this and hoping Denon actually makes it compatible with Engine Prime as they are purporting to be to doing.

-Jay
Kwizzo 9:44 PM - 27 September, 2017
Also, since I can't find a way to edit my post to add this tidbit, I should mention that for all my bashing of the 8000 in that post, it works remarkably well with Serato DJ, and most of my gripes with it concern its use in Standalone mode.
NUdisc0 4:31 AM - 28 September, 2017
USB media playback is kind of the main reason to get the mc8000.
Scooter Jackson 2:50 AM - 4 October, 2017
MCX8000 user here, and I'll never buy another Denon product again. They're 150% full of BS.
Junglist1SouLjA 5:02 PM - 4 October, 2017
Quote:
MCX8000 user here, and I'll never buy another Denon product again. They're 150% full of BS.

I am considering the 8000 myself but, I would like to know why you think they're full of it? Also, have they ever upgraded Engine with Prime? I just bought an SX2 and was disappointed with the scratching sounding way louder than the other channel at the same low trim. Channel 1 has a tighter scratch than channel 2. And the FX2 side, whatever effect is loaded on the 2nd knob affects the other channel with none of the effects buttons even pressed on! Pioneer has disappointed me. Then hearing how lousy their customer service is, has me considering other controllers. I am having such a difficult time in choosing what to go with. Denon MCX8000/7000, a Numark NS7III, Roland DJ808, or giving Pioneer another chance with the XDJ-RX2?

Any recommendations? The Numark just seems like a cheap build quality with the plasticy displays and mostly just red L.E.D.'s. Do I really want to be stuck to Rekordbox with the XDJ-RX2 and it being a 2 channel mixer? Has Denon improved their Engine yet? I played with it for a couple minutes and liked it. I haven't been able to try the Numark nor the Roland yet either but, I need to make a decision right away! Someone, anyone, please help!
Scott Campbell 12:08 AM - 5 October, 2017
I own a Denon MCX8000 and love it. TBH i have never used it in stand alone mode and do not really plan to. I purchased it to control Serato DJ. It has worked great for me! The only issue I can say i have had is that the pitch bend buttons can get stuck and train wreck your mix. It does not happen often but does occur.
NUdisc0 5:09 AM - 5 October, 2017
I recently bought a MC4000 and thought it was cheaply made.
Junglist1SouLjA 6:32 AM - 5 October, 2017
The MC4000 is a big difference between the MCX8000 so, yeah, I can totally understand why there's cheapness. That's like comparing the WeGo to the SX2 or some smaller 2 channel to just about a 4 channel. It's unlikely for a 2 channels' build quality can compare to the same brand's 4 channel that's more than twice the price of the 2 channel. That's actually a good question! Who thinks a particular brand's 2 channels build quality is as good as their 4 channel? I have already heard that Pioneer's model's below the SZ are not as good of a build quality as the as the upper model's. Someone even claimed that the SZ is a rip off because of the fact that you're just paying for bigger jog-wheel's compared to the SX2.
I am disappointed with the SX2 personally, as I've owned it for about a month now and I am about to send it back. It is behaving quite weird. Check my other posts if it's possible and you're interested. I don't want to repeatedly post the same complaints over and over. Seems like I've already done so. Since I have pretty much decided to send my SX2 back for an exchange, I can't decide on either the 8000, the NS7III, or the DJ808. If anyone has any suggestions/recommendations, please post! Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. The sooner, the better! Thanks!
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:52 AM - 5 October, 2017
had the 8000 for close to. a year, had issues with it and got the 808 as a replacement.

from reading online seems like its a lottery with the 8000, you might get a flawless unit which you will enjoy using or get one that will give you grief.

My 808 works fine apart from the pitch issue (dead zone around the 0 point, about 5mm in both directions)

so I d recommend the 808

whichever you choose just make sure you buy from an official retailer so you can return under warranty should the need arise.

both the 8000 and 808 have better sound than the Pioneer SX (and below).

808 has the tightest jog wheel I ve ever touched.
Junglist1SouLjA 11:22 AM - 5 October, 2017
Nice! You know, the only thing that bothers me about the 808 is no needle search. Even lower quality/cost controllers have needle search. And the NS7III has a small needle search which also bothers me. I hear that the 8000 has screen freezing issue's. Have you experienced any such hang ups with Denon? Makes me think of considering the 7000 if that's the case. I think that if I don't get the 808 or the NS7III now, that I'll get them in the future for sure. I am really swaying away from Pioneer, after hearing of various bad encounters with their customer service and having repairs done under warranty. Scary stuff! I feel like I'm beginning to narrow it down to the 7000, the Numark, or the 808. Does the 7000 have dual deck drop capability? Or these other one's for that matter? How about Flip? Flip is not that important to me but, it's an added feature nonetheless.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:40 AM - 5 October, 2017
Needle drop was not a deal breaker for me. Shift + Jog Wheel and i'm where i wanna be lol.

I was the same way too hesitant when i wanted to switch from the SX to the 8000. I was worrying about the mirror layout, it didn't even take me up to a week to adjust to the 8000.

But if needle drop is an important feature for you should get a device with it.

The 7000 seems like a great choice too.

I have not seen it in the wild in my neck of the woods.
Scooter Jackson 12:58 AM - 6 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I am considering the 8000 myself but, I would like to know why you think they're full of it? Also, have they ever upgraded Engine with Prime? I just bought an SX2 and was disappointed with the scratching sounding way louder than the other channel at the same low trim. Channel 1 has a tighter scratch than channel 2. And the FX2 side, whatever effect is loaded on the 2nd knob affects the other channel with none of the effects buttons even pressed on! Pioneer has disappointed me. Then hearing how lousy their customer service is, has me considering other controllers. I am having such a difficult time in choosing what to go with. Denon MCX8000/7000, a Numark NS7III, Roland DJ808, or giving Pioneer another chance with the XDJ-RX2?

Any recommendations? The Numark just seems like a cheap build quality with the plasticy displays and mostly just red L.E.D.'s. Do I really want to be stuck to Rekordbox with the XDJ-RX2 and it being a 2 channel mixer? Has Denon improved their Engine yet? I played with it for a couple minutes and liked it. I haven't been able to try the Numark nor the Roland yet either but, I need to make a decision right away! Someone, anyone, please help!

serato.com
NUdisc0 1:58 AM - 6 October, 2017
Quote:

Anything InMusic makes is a hit or miss. But I hate Pioneer too. I used to like NI, but their S5 and S8 controllers suck so much. I have lost all respect for NI. There aren't too many good dj equipment manufacturers out there. In the end I am stuck with overpriced Pioneer. Blah.