Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video Output not working

DJ Strike It Up 8:47 PM - 7 May, 2016
Hello community, I recently re-activated my Serato Video plug in on my Mac Book Pro and I connected up my video projector. When I connected the DVI to Video adapter to the Mac Book the "Display" window never showed "Arrangement" - so I couldnt see of the "mirror displays" option was unchecked. When I launched the Serato Video output screen, I wasnt able to move it over to the side to the next monitor thus nothing came up on the video projector. The funny thing is that the video projector goes into an all black screen when I plug in the adapter.

What am I doing wrong? This used to all work correctly for me when I was mixing videos at the nightclubs. Now all of a sudden its not working at all.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I am running an older MacBook Pro A1175
popnwave 11:51 PM - 7 May, 2016
The mac is what's acting up, it's not detecting your projector.. so it's either your adapter or the cable that isn't playing nice. Try hooking up to a TV or something that can use the same output.
DJ Tecniq 2:34 PM - 10 May, 2016
Def sounds like a bad adapter or cable. Try replacing one or the other to test.
DJ Strike It Up 2:35 PM - 10 May, 2016
I replaced the adapter and I am still having the same issue
DJ Tecniq 2:56 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
I replaced the adapter and I am still having the same issue
Tried the cable? How old is your Mac? There may be a graphics defect with your model
DJ Strike It Up 3:11 PM - 10 May, 2016
I have an older MacBook Pro, 2008 model with a Nvida graphics card
DJ Tecniq 3:14 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
I have an older MacBook Pro, 2008 model with a Nvida graphics card
Holy shit. Surprised you got Serato even functioning on a computer that old. It is very possible it's your macs video card that is faulty. A lot of the early macs had video problems. The 2010-2012 models. Not sure about the 08' models but I would assume. I suggest take your Mac to an Apple Store and have it tested. They will do a diagnostics test on your machine. However I suggest upgrading your Mac. You are running a 2008 MacBook and it's 2016. What do you think would go wrong?
DJ Tecniq 3:18 PM - 10 May, 2016
Your Mac itself is almost "10" years old. And the core2duo's are no longer supported with Serato unless you are running Scratchlive? If you are using Serato DJ than I'm surprised you even got video working. Cause SDJ will eat the shit out of that 08's CPU.
DJ Strike It Up 3:26 PM - 10 May, 2016
I normally don't use Serato Video anymore but Serato DJ has been working flawlessly on that Mac with my controller.

But it is time to upgrade. I've been reading a bunch of the posts on here about which MacBook to buy that meets all the specs for both Serato DJ and Serato Video.

Any suggestions?
DJ Tecniq 3:30 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
I normally don't use Serato Video anymore but Serato DJ has been working flawlessly on that Mac with my controller.

But it is time to upgrade. I've been reading a bunch of the posts on here about which MacBook to buy that meets all the specs for both Serato DJ and Serato Video.

Any suggestions?
Yes a 2012 or later model with Yosemite (not El Capitan)
DJ Tecniq 3:31 PM - 10 May, 2016
And to answer your question about your old model it is true they have graphic issues as well. Read here your computer if I'm not mistaken had a recall awhile back.
www.macworld.com
DJ Tecniq 3:33 PM - 10 May, 2016
The 2012 and later models didn't have video card issues which is why I suggest those. For example I run a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro and it is flawless. Runs video no problem with hardly any CPU💯
DJ Tecniq 3:35 PM - 10 May, 2016
Also you can try doing a "pram" reset for your Mac which may fix your video problem temporality. Still eventually you will need to upgrade the laptop.
DJ Strike It Up 3:42 PM - 10 May, 2016
Yep I did a "Pram" reset already and that didnt do anything.

I guess its time to start to shop for a new MacBook :(

Thanks!
DJ Strike It Up 4:49 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
The 2012 and later models didn't have video card issues which is why I suggest those. For example I run a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro and it is flawless. Runs video no problem with hardly any CPU💯

I'm looking at this particular refurbished model and I saw this in the specs:

"Graphics - Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching"

Is this Macbook Pro good to use for Serato Video? I have never seen that before, 2 video cards in a Macbook.
popnwave 4:57 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

"Graphics - Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching"

Is this Macbook Pro good to use for Serato Video? I have never seen that before, 2 video cards in a Macbook.

The highest end 15s have the dedicated (sometimes you'll see "discreet" used to describe) video cards. So, yes that is normal.

The mid 2012 non retinas had NVIDIA 1GB cards and they run everything just fine (1080p), so newer models will do you good as well.
DJ Strike It Up 5:04 PM - 10 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The highest end 15s have the dedicated (sometimes you'll see "discreet" used to describe) video cards. So, yes that is normal.

The mid 2012 non retinas had NVIDIA 1GB cards and they run everything just fine (1080p), so newer models will do you good as well.

So this particular Macbook Pro would be ok to run Serato Video?

Here are all the specs:

Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display

Originally released October 2013
15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB Flash Storage1
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
popnwave 5:24 PM - 10 May, 2016
Yep, plenty of power in that bad boy to do anything you can throw at it. Just remember you'll want to stick at Yosemite until the rest of the El Capitan crap is sorted out and that model supports it (Yosemite) just fine.

The only other thing you will have to decide is if you get REALLY into video (recording sets, more transitions, sequencing effect) you will want to look into MixEmergency vs SV. But just for playback SV will do you fine.
DJ Strike It Up 5:25 PM - 10 May, 2016
Thank You popnwave!
DJ Tecniq 5:44 PM - 10 May, 2016
Cosign that Mac should work fine and you will see a huge difference in performance and analyzing files. Usually if it's got a integrated graphics chip with dedicated video card (Nvidea) you'll be fine👍🏻
DJ Strike It Up 2:06 AM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
Cosign that Mac should work fine and you will see a huge difference in performance and analyzing files. Usually if it's got a integrated graphics chip with dedicated video card (Nvidea) you'll be fine👍🏻

Thanks guys four all the help and guidance. I ended up buying a refurbished 2014 MacBook Pro. But now I am noticing one problem. When I launch Serato Video and I move the output screen to the extended monitor, the top bar of the window doesn't go away. Even when I put Serato in full screen mode the output screen still has the top border with the "Serato Video Output" visible on the extended monitor. How can I make that go away???
DJ Tecniq 5:57 AM - 14 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks guys four all the help and guidance. I ended up buying a refurbished 2014 MacBook Pro. But now I am noticing one problem. When I launch Serato Video and I move the output screen to the extended monitor, the top bar of the window doesn't go away. Even when I put Serato in full screen mode the output screen still has the top border with the "Serato Video Output" visible on the extended monitor. How can I make that go away???
Odd that doesn't happen to me and I have a 2014 MacBook Pro. However are you making sure Serato is in full screen as well as the video ouput. I can try and help you but this only happens for me when you have the program slightly minimized. Hit me up with a private message and I'll try to help👍🏻
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:38 AM - 26 May, 2016
Try and run the demo version of Mix Emergency on the 2008 MacBook Pro and see if you can get an output window.

I used to run a 2008 and Serato DJ 1.7.4

Do you get a Dexktop image on the projector at all (when SDJ is not running)?