Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Transcend Jetdrive Lite

DJ Tecniq 12:03 AM - 2 May, 2016
Are these a reliable solution for storing and playing music vids? Running out of space but I don't have problems storing and playing music vids off my USB 3.0 drives. I just want a simpler setup. Is anyone using these?
popnwave 2:48 PM - 2 May, 2016
Finally played around with one, a 128GB model in my Mid 2012. Moving over big files takes longer than USB but playback had no issues, and the library seemed responsive. I didn't have the unmounting issue some folks do when the Mac wakes up from sleep either.
DJ Tecniq 5:27 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:
Finally played around with one, a 128GB model in my Mid 2012. Moving over big files takes longer than USB but playback had no issues, and the library seemed responsive. I didn't have the unmounting issue some folks do when the Mac wakes up from sleep either.
Nice. I never put the Mac to sleep when I'm gigging. I think I'm gonna purchase one. I have USB sticks that are all full. I really need to weed out just the vids I know I'll play. Thanks for your input👍🏻
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:47 PM - 10 May, 2016
The inevitable space issue. I'm almost there too with videos.

Any issues with getting one of this www.amazon.co.uk

I know we are yearn for portability but its still not the size of one crate of records.

I have a 2tb lacie for both videos and audio. I'm currently gonna move all audio out to a 1TB USB 3.0 drive and leave the lacie 2tb for videos only. If and when i run out of space i might be getting one of those for videos or www.amazon.co.uk
DJ Baby Boy 5:44 AM - 11 May, 2016
As I tell absolutely everyone I 100% advise against using a USB external hard drive when djing and to always use either FireWire or Thunderbolt due mainly to the fact that all USB bus' share power with each other but FireWire and Thunderbolt have their own and won't pull from anything else
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:04 AM - 11 May, 2016
Quote:
As I tell absolutely everyone I 100% advise against using a USB external hard drive when djing and to always use either FireWire or Thunderbolt due mainly to the fact that all USB bus' share power with each other but FireWire and Thunderbolt have their own and won't pull from anything else

Planning to use the TB2 dock for the drives, Numark orbit, Pioneer SP
DJ Baby Boy 6:05 AM - 11 May, 2016
If you're gonna use the TB2 dock go with a thunderbolt drive for sure it works amazingly
arne 11:26 AM - 18 October, 2016
Quote:

I just came across this thread since i was eying with the Jetdrive for my Videos too! I always feel like my FW Lacie that is connected to my Macbook via the TB adaptor is a little to loose!
The Jetdrive Lite doesn´t use USB but the SD Slot, so what you´ve mentioned above shouldn´t apply here, right?
I´m just not sure if the reading speed of the Jetdrive is fast enough to play Videos in VSL?
popnwave 3:11 PM - 18 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I just came across this thread since i was eying with the Jetdrive for my Videos too! I always feel like my FW Lacie that is connected to my Macbook via the TB adaptor is a little to loose!
The Jetdrive Lite doesn´t use USB but the SD Slot, so what you´ve mentioned above shouldn´t apply here, right?
I´m just not sure if the reading speed of the Jetdrive is fast enough to play Videos in VSL?

It's fast enough, but the one quirk that keeps coming up is some people saying it unmounts at random times, which would really SUCK. I've yet to hear from anyone taking one into a live setting to really see how well it holds up. The speed available on the slot should be enough to cover mixing videos though.
arne 3:16 PM - 18 October, 2016
Hmm, i´ve read somewhere else that they sometimes unmount when you´re macbook goes into sleep-mode, but if it unmounts during a set that would suck hard! I would just feel way more comfortable to have a Jetdrive permanently in the SD-slot than a external harddrive connected via TB!
DJ Tecniq 8:46 PM - 18 October, 2016
I actually didn't go the sd card route instead I have a Samsung T3 ssd USB 3.0 ext drive that has been awesome. Super light and tight USB connection. Zero issues and stays very cool. Best decision I made for video/playback storage. Good luck