DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Start Djing with Digital Vinyl Sistem

Alex Boneless 8:15 PM - 27 April, 2016
What's up guys? I'm here to ask a couple question about djing with Digital vinyl sistems and the hardware required.
I'm new into DJing, I have recently got into music production and I'd like to add djing to my skill, I don't own a setup yet but I know the basics.
I'm into Hip Hop and I would love to learn how to scratch and become a turntablist. I'm also a little into Deep House and chill, faster music than hip hop so i'd probably mix that genre in public as I think it's easier to entertain people even with lower skills, while I'll be taking my time to learn how to do my stuffs for hip hop djing.

I just bought Serato DJ 'cause it was 50%sale these days and it's the dj software i'm most familiar with, so i'd stick with it.
I'm still a student so I don't have a real budget to spend, probably just what a Birthday presents from a few relatives can get me, let's say 500€. Since I'd rather spent these money on a setup that can last me a while and i wouldn't need to replace before i feel to i'm here posting questions.

Let's come to the questions:
-Is it possible to at least learn how to scratch on a DJ controller? (I've seen and did some researches on the Reloop Terminal Mix series and Gemini G4V)
-Is the turntable route THE ONLY WAY to go? (I know is the right way, i'll get to that anyway sooner or later)
-If the turntable route is the way to go even as a beginner, there's still a problem. I won't be able to find and purchase all the vinyls i'd like to play. I've seen this Digital Vinyl Sistem that looks like allowing you to play and mix the music files on your computer through a special vinyl record, so i'd be able to play the music I want without spending the money on expensive records and worrying about not finding what i want to play. AM I RIGHT? It works the way I supposed it does?
-If the last case is true, about how much will it cost me to get a starter setup working? (Hardware only. I already own serato dj that allows this feature i think ).
-Can you tell me good (and rather cheaps) turntables and mixers that would allow me to start djing this way?

Again, i'm not trying to be the best hip hop dj in the world right now, what i wanna do is to own a setup that will allow me to LEARN. Of course i'd rather not dj on the worst setup on planet Earth, so a good mix between quality and saving.
Thank you very much to anyone wanting to help me! Peace

(Sorry for bad english, I'm italian)
spike12 8:59 PM - 27 April, 2016
You can scratch with controllers, but if you want to get into beat juggling, faderless techniques such as tears and clovers, or needle drops, you will have to move to turntables after a certain point.

If you want to go this route on a budget, buy a used pair of technics 1200's and an Akai AMX, thats probably the cheapest set up with dvs you can get. You will have to use your laptop kb to control serato, or get a Akai AFX or Pioneer DJ DDJ-SP1.
Alex Boneless 11:38 PM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
buy a used pair of technics 1200's

Thanks for the reply!
I did a quick research and found that a pair of used technics 1200's cost around 800€ in the best case. Is it their price? How can I in case verify if the turntables are in good shape or not?
With the mixer that would easily be a thousand bucks that i can't afford anyway, but thanks for taking the time to help
spike12 11:49 PM - 27 April, 2016
To check them you can use the oscilloscope on the serato setup screen to verify they spin at the correct speed using a control vinyl. You can also check the deviation at several speeds and verify the signal from left and right come out clean. (you will need to have needles and a dvs record to do this)

The reason they are expensive is because they are made to last and if treated well. They were also the club standard for a long time and have high torque, making it the benchmark "feel" for many djs that use vinyl. The price is cheaper here in NA, but still similarly hasn't depreciated much over time.

If you can find a pair of cheap used reloop higher model (7000 or 8000 I think, but someone else can verify) you may be able to a better price, but they are less common and harder to find, but are probably the best bang for the buck for if you want to scratch. I would advise against buying cheap TTs, you can search the forums for the many reasons why.
Alex Boneless 12:30 AM - 28 April, 2016
I was rather wandering how to check it before buying them since i'm always very uncertain about buying used stuff.
I understand they're the standard and i can understand why, they've been around for quite a while..
I checked and you were right, 7000 and 8000 reloop RP's are the only Reloop models to support DVS. I did a quick research on the common websites around here and I couldn't find even a single one used tho.. If they're hard to find in the States here will be way way harder. The price on them is interesting though and I think the turntable itself would work for me since i'm only starting out, using them at home and not planning any club performance in the near future. See, the problem in Italy is that if i even can get me a pair of used technics 1200's, i'd be buying them from a random guy on the net or in the best case by hand but in any case i wouldn't be able to learn how to use them and see if they're working the way they should before actually taking them home and spend a couple day practicing and reading manuals and stuff. This is the situation around here unluckily, so I'd feel way more comfortable buying new gear.

A couple last questions and then i won't bother you no more, you were very helpful and I apreciate your help a lot, really!

Considering that i won't probably be able to buy them as now no matter what and it will take me quite a while to raise the difference, do you think it's better to start saving enough, even if this means waiting months before starting djing, or it's better for me to buy a controller and start making the first steps and learning the basic of scratching but also actually mixing, even if this means postponing even more the actual turntables and mixer purchase? Is the gear factor more prominent that the practice time factor? (It may sound like a stupid question , but i don't think it is in this specific case)
spike12 12:45 AM - 28 April, 2016
If you have no experience mixing, it is definitely worth starting with as small an investment as possible to learn the intricacies of mixing, musical structure and how to make transitions between different types of music and how to use FX, loops.

P.S. It doesn't matter if your turntables aren't DVS supported, the 1200 don't have any intrinsic DVS capability. DVS capability is provided by the control vinyl and the sound card/mixer.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:46 AM - 28 April, 2016
if you are looking for a decent set of decks to get started on, i would recommend these:

www.amazon.com
spike12 12:47 AM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
if you are looking for a decent set of decks to get started on, i would recommend these:

www.amazon.com

Those actually look like a decent value.
Alex Boneless 12:53 AM - 28 April, 2016
Yes! They would probably work for me and i saw them around before but I didn't know the turntable had no actual influence in using DVS!

To recap all that has been said, would a set consisting of
2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 (or price wise equal turntables)
Akai AMX
Contro vinyls
Serato Dj software

allow me to start djing with DVS?
spike12 12:54 AM - 28 April, 2016
Assuming your laptop is up to spec, yes.
spike12 12:55 AM - 28 April, 2016
Also slip mats and headshell/catridge/needles.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:55 AM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
Yes! They would probably work for me and i saw them around before but I didn't know the turntable had no actual influence in using DVS!

To recap all that has been said, would a set consisting of
2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 (or price wise equal turntables)
Akai AMX
Contro vinyls
Serato Dj software

allow me to start djing with DVS?

dont forget needles.
Alex Boneless 12:57 AM - 28 April, 2016
It takes specific needles for DVS or they simply aren't included in the turntables? Sorry for the dumb questions
spike12 1:00 AM - 28 April, 2016
If you want to scratch, buy a set that track well.. they aren't specific for DVS. Look up vids on djtlmtv on youtube. You will find a wealth of knowledge there.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:01 AM - 28 April, 2016
www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com

these are the two most popular choices amongst scratch dj's
DJ Remix Detroit 1:03 AM - 28 April, 2016
another option is to get an NS7 III... but that may be beyond your budget:

www.amazon.com
Alex Boneless 1:08 AM - 28 April, 2016
Quote:
another option is to get an NS7 III... but that may be beyond your budget:

www.amazon.com

Way beyond and I'd rather go for a cheap controller while waiting to get my hands on turntables.

It's time for me to start saving i guess!!
Thanks a lot to both of you guys, you were awesome!
Scully DJ Services 3:04 AM - 28 April, 2016
If the OP is really on a tight budget, wouldn't buying 1 TT and using instant doubles be a good move? He could save himself a good little chunk of change which means he could get started faster.
Alex Boneless 3:31 AM - 28 April, 2016
Can you explain me what is istant doubles?
Scully DJ Services 12:43 PM - 28 April, 2016
support.serato.com
This article explains it better than I can. Some guys on here like the member "6" use it to save space in their booths or to reduce setup times at gigs and it works well for them.
Alex Boneless 4:33 PM - 28 April, 2016
looks interesting but i'd rather start to mix and practice with both hands and both plates, thanks anyway.

I watched a review for the Akai AMX and I don't like it at all. Limitless gain, touch interface and different crossfader and line faders are dealbreakers to me.
Any other mixers around 200€ with DVS capacity?
Is the Denon Ds1 the only audiointerface to use dvs with serato? Why it costs 300€ and other interfaces costs like 100€?
Tommy Deem 4:30 AM - 30 April, 2016
Buyariginal ns7 from numark, it's around 400-500 bucks and is more than enough for beginner scratcher :)
Tommy Deem 4:31 AM - 30 April, 2016
Typo, buy original...
Tommy Deem 4:34 AM - 30 April, 2016