DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Haitian Music

RonDu 2:18 PM - 27 April, 2016
Whaddup,

Want to know how, if any of you, are getting your Haitian music (if you play that). ie; Kompa, Zouk, etc. There is a Haitian DJ who is kind of big in my area but he says he gets almost all of his music from Youtube. I don't know of any pools or sites where I can get or see what is the hottest, latest, classics or whatever for Haitian music. Can any Haitian DJs or anyone familiar with Haitian music help a brotha out?

In advance, thanks are in order.
DJ NewYork 3:07 AM - 28 April, 2016
Great question DJ RonDu, YouTube is a great source to learn what's going on in the Haitian music sector (Kompa/Zouk) but I would totally advise against ripping music from YouTube because it doesn't support the artist and the poor quality sound can devalue your services. What's big with Haitian people when playing parties are "Bal" tracks, which are live recordings from concerts each band plays opposed to the studio recording versions. The reason is that it brings a different vibe than the original tracks that everyone is used to listening to, plus they're longer like 8 to 14 minutes long. You can purchase both types like I get on Google Play Music or iTunes. Unfortunately they're no pools that exist to support this genera which is fine because this genera doesn't release as fast as to what we consider pop music here in the US. I'll list some popular bands/artist to get you started in the right direction towards your research that have a nice body of work and respected in their genera of category that you can purchase their tracks:

__Kompa___
NuLook
Djakout Mizik
Carimi
Dat7
T-Vice
Harmonik
Alan Cavé
Zin
Krezi Mizik
5Lan
Michel Martelly
T-Micky
Zenglen
Kreyol La
Tantan

___Zouk___
Phyllisia Ross
Marvin
Tina Ly
Fanny J
Nichols
Marcia
STONY
Teeyah
Jean-Marie Ragald
Kim
Marysa
Kingsley
Stephane Moreau
Kaysha
Yoan

hope this is helpful to get you started & I'm sure others will chime in.
RonDu 1:54 PM - 28 April, 2016
Thanks a lot, NY. I am familiar with the majority of the Kompa artists but not the Zouk but you have helped me out tremendously. Some of the Haitian DJs I know are stingy with their knowledge as if I was going to take their market or something. lol. I just want to have the up-to-date and classic joints since maybe 20-25% of my gigs are from Haitian-American clients.

I was kind of suprised that a somewhat popular Haitian DJ would tell me that he rips some of his music from Youtube - unless he was setting me up for failure or something...

Thanks again *dapz*
Gio Alex 2:47 PM - 28 April, 2016
This is a good question. I wonder as well. Trying to expand my Zouk knowledge.
Good3go85 10:50 AM - 15 May, 2016
PULSELOCKER
REDSELECTER 3:27 PM - 15 May, 2016
great post - what I am having trouble finding these days is the faster stuff - 120 BPM +

everything from Martinique + Guadeloupe seems to be either zouk love or (wack) dancehall/urban stuff.

any pointers?
DJ A PLUS HT 11:35 PM - 29 June, 2016
I get most of my music from Itunes, Amazon and this website: wagmarlovemusicstore dot net.
There are also plenty of Haitian Music Stores in Boston, NY, Miami, ATL etc.
Anyone ripping tracks of youtube shouldn't call themselves DJs.
RonDu 2:42 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
I get most of my music from Itunes, Amazon and this website: wagmarlovemusicstore dot net.

There are also plenty of Haitian Music Stores in Boston, NY, Miami, ATL etc.

Anyone ripping tracks of youtube shouldn't call themselves DJs.

Do you know of any reputable ones in Miami?