DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Is my teacher buggin?

jordankatz1 6:18 AM - 24 April, 2016
Well first I'll start off off by saying the guy I take lessons with is fantastic. But a few of the things he is telling me seem questionable and don't make sense to me.

He is telling me they are going to shut off mp3 and close down a lot of DJ sites and to go with Pulselocker. He is like obsessed with Pulselocker and pushing it on me. Im not that crazy about it. I like that you can search in serato for a song and the song quality is amazing. But you can't do squat with the files and can't use them in anything but Serato. I love serato I have no plans on switching, but Im really leaning towards that new Denon controller cause in case my macbook goes down you can still get through the gig. Bu with pulselocker you cant cause the files dont work. Any thoughts?
DJ Matty Stiles 8:21 AM - 24 April, 2016
Use everything at your disposal. Streaming. Non streaming. Pools. iTunes. Bear port, ripped CDs, ripped records. Etc etc etc. there is never a one size fits all solution. Just get the best quality of whatever you can get your hands on
DJ Irv 1:11 PM - 24 April, 2016
I'm not a fan of renting music. I want to know the musi mine forever and will play on any device. I already pay rent, cable electricity and I'm not adding pulselocker to that.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:42 PM - 26 April, 2016
Quote:
He is telling me they are going to shut off mp3 and close down a lot of DJ sites and to go with Pulselocker. He is like obsessed with Pulselocker and pushing it on me. Im not that crazy about it.

Streaming does seem to be the future but nothing beats a good Pool with DJ tailored edits of music that you "own" or at least control.

If you were a wedding dj or a request based mobile DJ - Pulselocker and spotify have their place.

Back when I was a vinyl DJ - I would have to play things from a rack mounted CD player just to "have it". Now, you occasionally may have to play a youtube request from your phone to make or keep someone happy.

As mentioned above - steaming should be "A" option - not your "only" option - imho
d:raf 3:13 AM - 27 April, 2016
Quote:
As mentioned above - steaming should be "A" option - not your "only" option - imho

Ewwwwww...
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:40 PM - 30 April, 2016
Fuck pulse locker
djnak 3:09 AM - 1 May, 2016
Quote:
Fuck pulse locker
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:32 PM - 1 May, 2016
Quote:
Fuck pulse locker

you'd fuck anything with a pulse
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:46 PM - 1 May, 2016
Quote: