DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJM 900nxs2 or SRT?

jdiox369 4:39 PM - 22 April, 2016
Hello -

I am in the market for a new mixer. I am deciding between 900nxs2 and 900srt

I use serato primarily. I am concerned that the 900srt is discontinued.

is the 900nxs2 serato DJ ready?

what would you choose?
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:27 PM - 22 April, 2016
well one mixer works with serato one doesn't i'll let you find out which one is which
Gio Alex 5:45 PM - 22 April, 2016
Quote:
well one mixer works with serato one doesn't i'll let you find out which one is which

LOL best answer.
jdiox369 11:06 PM - 22 April, 2016
Well I have 2 xdj1000 which are HID in serato. I could hook that up directly to the computer and use the mixer sound card directly into macs. LOL...
deejdave 11:55 PM - 22 April, 2016
Quote:
Well I have 2 xdj1000 which are HID in serato. I could hook that up directly to the computer and use the mixer sound card directly into macs. LOL...

This is very false. You still need a supported interface (mixer, controller or SL Box) to activate the software and use as the audio device.
Quote:
use the mixer sound card directly into macs.

Not even 100% sure what this means but I can tell you it is wrong. The SRT is compatible with Serato DJ. The NXS2 is not. Will it be? Maybe but not yet.
jdiox369 12:04 AM - 23 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Well I have 2 xdj1000 which are hHID in serato. I could hook that up directly to the computer and use the mixer sound card directly into macs. LOL...

This is very false. You still need a supported interface (mixer, controller or SL Box) to activate the software and use as the audio device.
Quote:
use the mixer sound card directly into macs.

Not even 100% sure what this means but I can tell you it is wrong. The SRT is compatible with Serato DJ. The NXS2 is not. Will it be? Maybe but not yet.

I guess just true for traktor?

Thanks for answering my question
deejdave 12:06 AM - 23 April, 2016
Quote:

Correct but it is not the HID part that makes this true for Traktor. You are able to use the CDJ (XDJ in your case) as the actual sound interface. Something that is not possible with Serato.
dj_soo 4:51 AM - 24 April, 2016
900 NXS2 isn't supported by serato yet, but it could happen.

Kind of depends how all-in Pioneer wants to go with Rekordbox DJ
jdiox369 5:52 AM - 25 April, 2016
Question. If I have an akai amx, which is a serato Dj ready midi mixer, can I use that as the 'serato box'?

Essentially:

Xdjs & akai into USB hub
USB hub into mac
Output xdjs into Djm
Djm booth out into akai input channel 1 (optional)
Djm main out to main speakers
WarpNote 6:19 AM - 25 April, 2016
You could, but you would run the xdjs into the amx.
Then run master out to one channel on the djm, and the headphone out to the other channel.
On the amx, raise channel one and keep crossfader left, also press headphone cue on amx channel two. Then adjust amx channel one gain and headphone gain to match outputs.
Its doable, what you would call a ghetto rig, rather fiddly, and nothing I would do in the club myself. I would either get the SRT or the NXS2 with a Rane box/Denon DS1....
WarpNote 6:20 AM - 25 April, 2016
channel on the djm = channel one the djm.
Gio Alex 2:04 PM - 25 April, 2016
Quote:
Question. If I have an akai amx, which is a serato Dj ready midi mixer, can I use that as the 'serato box'?

Essentially:

Xdjs & akai into USB hub
USB hub into mac
Output xdjs into Djm
Djm booth out into akai input channel 1 (optional)
Djm main out to main speakers

Why not get a DS-1, SL2 or SL3?
WarpNote 5:24 PM - 25 April, 2016
Quote:
Why not get a DS-1, SL2 or SL3?

He probably has the AMX sitting there ...?
Or it might be a cost issue?
Gio Alex 6:20 PM - 25 April, 2016
Quote:
He probably has the AMX sitting there ...?

I can see that.

Quote:
Or it might be a cost issue?

But this... If you can afford to spend money on a 900nxs2 or SRT I'd imagine you could afford to buy at least a $250 serato box.
jdiox369 7:38 PM - 25 April, 2016
Yes I can afford it. But if I have an amx lying around that I could use, I'd rather save where I can

I want nxs2 because it's the "newest" and would be nice to be ahead of the curve and acclimated to new tech

I want srt because it's a simple plug and play.

I regular play out at club on cdj2000nxs and djm900nxs with sl4 (all clubs material).

What I want to purchase this mixer for is simply home use. So the extra wiring doesn't bother me if it works
jdiox369 10:30 PM - 29 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Correct but it is not the HID part that makes this true for Traktor. You are able to use the CDJ (XDJ in your case) as the actual sound interface. Something that is not possible with Serato.

I just tried this at the club last night and it worked.

2CDJ2Knxs to hub to computer .
Djm900nxs straight to computer.
Used serato DJ without box
deejdave 10:37 PM - 29 April, 2016
Please note this thread is about the 900NXS2 and 900SRT not original 900nexus.
Gio Alex 2:22 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just tried this at the club last night and it worked.

2CDJ2Knxs to hub to computer .
Djm900nxs straight to computer.
Used serato DJ without box

the original 900nxs is compatible with serato's clubkit so of course it worked. Like Dave mentioned above this thread is about 900srt (serato) vs the 900NXS2
jdiox369 10:59 PM - 2 May, 2016
Right. I guess I never considered the original nexus because every time I play with it out, it's connected to a box.

After further research, I am slowly ruling out the srt as the nexus 1 is essentially the srt now with the club kit minus a few other minor features (4 phono ports, magvel fader, sync fx , etc..)

I think I may have to go with the nexus 1 for now until nxs2 is supported w club kit (if that ever happens).

I also imagine nxs1 will be easier to sell than srt should I decide to later get nxs2
deejdave 11:45 PM - 2 May, 2016
Quote:
After further research, I am slowly ruling out the srt as the nexus 1 is essentially the srt now with the club kit minus a few other minor features (4 phono ports, magvel fader, sync fx , etc..)

100% agree.
Quote:
I also imagine nxs1 will be easier to sell than srt should I decide to later get nxs2

Disgaree with this part. Even being discontinued the SRT holds and is holding a higher resale value by a substantial amount actually. As a matter of fact the highest the Nexus will go for is around the lowest you will fine an SRT for on average with a swing of around $500.
jdiox369 12:08 AM - 3 May, 2016
I'm not talking about resale value, rather demand. Yes the srt will go for more, but would probably have more demand for a nexus1, no?
jdiox369 12:09 AM - 3 May, 2016
I know you're salty about the nexus1 being supported by club kit after purchasing an srt... (Did my research) ... Don't take me down with you!!! xD
Mr. Goodkat 12:25 AM - 3 May, 2016
any 4 channel pioneer mixer sells all the way back too the 500/600 if they are in good working order. seems like the magnetic faders would last alot longer than the nxs faders as well.

id go used if you go 900, so they'll be about the same. id see which fader box you like the best and then choose. id say used they are gonna go for around the same price tbh when you decide to sell it.

i guess the srt could go obsolete if apple os dont work with the srt? since its discontinued? or did they say they were gonna support/not support it with any firmware updates?
djvtyme85 12:51 AM - 3 May, 2016
no one seems willing to try rekordbox. i'll actually give it a try if i can save the money for a nexus 2. serato dj is cool but i'm open to rekordbox as being a viable alternative
deejdave 1:18 AM - 3 May, 2016
As I said I think the 900Nexus IS the way to go. BUUUUUUUT
Quote:
I'm not talking about resale value, rather demand. Yes the srt will go for more, but would probably have more demand for a nexus1, no?

Unfortunately it is supply SND demand that drives prices. You flew with the demand part while completely neglecting the supply part.

There are more Nexus's than people demanding them.

There are fewer SRT's than people demanding them.

Furthermore the release of the DJM-900NXS2 renders the 900Nexus obsolete and inferior in every way while it is somewhat unrelated to the SRT.

I STILL maintain that the better purchase would be the 900Nexus but if resale is a factor I stand by my words ;)

And FTR I was salty about the Nexus getting support because I purchased an SRT specifically for Serato while I already owned and still own a 900Nexus LMAO.
deejdave 1:20 AM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:

And to clear up 100% would you rather have 80 people asking to buy something for $10 or 10 people asking to buy something for $100? This is the quality over quantity argument as well as sometimes less is more:)
jdiox369 7:54 PM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
As I said I think the 900Nexus IS the way to go. BUUUUUUUT
Quote:

Unfortunately it is supply SND demand that drives prices. You flew with the demand part while completely neglecting the supply part.

There are more Nexus's than people demanding them.

There are fewer SRT's than people demanding them.

Furthermore the release of the DJM-900NXS2 renders the 900Nexus obsolete and inferior in every way while it is somewhat unrelated to the SRT.

I STILL maintain that the better purchase would be the 900Nexus but if resale is a factor I stand by my words ;)

And FTR I was salty about the Nexus getting support because I purchased an SRT specifically for Serato while I already owned and still own a 900Nexus LMAO.

no i definitely get what youre saying. Did you end up selling your SRT? If you already had a nexus, why not just get a SL box if you needed serato capability?

And i hear you about the supply and demand part.. i think demand is very minimal in my area tbh.. yes im in a big city.. but all i hear is nexus nexus nexus..

if nxs2 were serato compatible, i wouldnt even think twice about this purchase. but right now i am in a position to buy something years old, yet still the industry standard... or buy the newest thing and find a workaround for serato..

no im not the biggest fan of rekord box BECAUSE of my dj style -- open format. the way the serato interface is, is perfect for the way i mix. and im not too keen on rekordbox dj.. seems like a serato dj wannabe. but maybe they want to convert all serato dj users to rekordbox dj...

IF i decide to broaden my horizons and invest into rekordboxdj... do i need an extra box or something? im not sure how rekordboxdj actually works.. i just remember looking at it once and was like...hey! that looks EXACTLY like serato
Mr. Goodkat 8:16 PM - 3 May, 2016
Quote:
no im not the biggest fan of rekord box BECAUSE of my dj style -- open format. the way the serato interface is, is perfect for the way i mix.

then i would get a srt. you hear nxs because it came out first and the SRT was came out 2-3 years after. IMO its a better mixer feature wise with the same basic soundcard.
DJ Jonasty 8:54 PM - 3 May, 2016
With all that said the original NXS is the only one that is certified for dvs for all the players. Serato, Traktor and Rekordbox
Mr. Goodkat 10:31 PM - 3 May, 2016
rekordbox.com

srt works the same as nxs with rekordbox. dont think the OP ever mentioned traktor
jdiox369 12:17 AM - 4 May, 2016
Yeah traktor is definitely not an option. Lol
deejdave 12:37 AM - 4 May, 2016
SRT works 100% with Traktor anyways just not DVS.
Quote:
Did you end up selling your SRT? If you already had a nexus, why not just get a SL box if you needed serato capability?

Didn't sell and still have all three Nexus, SRT & NXS2. I do and still have an SL4 but TBH I have purchased things for lesser reasons and the SRT (at the time) made things possible that the SL4/NXS combo never could.

As far as the NXS2 getting Serato support keep in mind a.) there is more demand for this than any other mixer (by a HUGE margin) and Serato took their time with Nexus so chances are good IMO.
Quote:
Quote:
no im not the biggest fan of rekord box BECAUSE of my dj style -- open format. the way the serato interface is, is perfect for the way i mix.

then i would get a srt. you hear nxs because it came out first and the SRT was came out 2-3 years after. IMO its a better mixer feature wise with the same basic soundcard.

If they were similar in price I would agree but they are actually anywhere from $400-$600 in difference in equal condition it seems.

PS. I always thought the 900Nesus should have been named the SRT:

S - Serato
R - Rekordbox
T - Traktor
Mr. Goodkat 1:08 AM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
If they were similar in price I would agree but they are actually anywhere from $400-$600 in difference in equal condition it seems.

new but not used, i sold my srt for $1200(needed a quick sale to jump on a used s9, that i got for 1300$), no bites at 1500$, but i did have a few bites after the sale.

again its just not as popular as a nxs because alot of people didnt like the faders of the SRT(at least what i heard from local djs and twitter).

thats why i said test the fader box because i actually liked the faders better than a NXS, and like i said the fader is magnetic. the efx sync. etc. its just made for serato and the OP is gonna use serato.

BTW jdiox369, Dave has a dj company so he has lots of gear. I have one mixer and one computer. Im getting used to a 2 channel mixer, but i did like my SRT and would have kept it if i could afford or needed 2 2000 mixers.
deejdave 2:59 AM - 4 May, 2016
I too like the faders in the Srt better than the nexus. Strange. Yah I seen the advatnages in being more common in this regard. Makes sense.
deejdave 3:00 AM - 4 May, 2016
The quantized beat fx is exclusive to the Srt too and is quite amazing.
Mr. Goodkat 4:42 AM - 4 May, 2016
its all regional, guitar center has actually been doing alot of used sales online,

they have used srt online for 14-1500, nxs are 11-1400

i bet you could get 50-100$ off those prices if you really tried or knew someone up there.

cant really go wrong either way
keithers 3:05 PM - 4 May, 2016
no serato dj on the NXS2 is really a drag...

I went from Rane62 to the NXS2, and now I am wishing I held onto my 62 as well
WarpNote 3:15 PM - 4 May, 2016
Having both 900srt, Rane62 and the S9, I gotta say the S9 is stll favourite.
jdiox369 3:22 PM - 4 May, 2016
Quote:
Having both 900srt, Rane62 and the S9, I gotta say the S9 is stll favourite.

What makes the s9 the favorite
WarpNote 6:20 PM - 4 May, 2016
RGB performance pads, loop controls, track browse, crossfader feel, line fader feel, dual USB computer setup (great for back2back/tag team), post fader on SDJ fx (on the SRT they are pre fader), FX levers are loads of fun (quicker to assign the FX than the 900).

That said though, the 900 is also a great mixer. I does boil down to your style of playing. If you like to layer fx, you probably wanna go with the 900, as it has both color fx, beat fx, send/return (S9 does not have send/return). And you can even layer serato fx on top with the 900. With the S9 you are limited to one effect at the time + filter/dub echo/etc. (no gate)

Also, if you mix more than 2 channels you'd want the 900, but if you're tablist, party rocker or like to bang the cues, you probably would prefer the S9.

Your best bet is to try them both and decide for yourself, but it may not be an option for your current location?
jdiox369 6:26 PM - 4 May, 2016
So I was looking at the s9 initially too. However, my purpose for this mixer purchase is to practice club set up at home. Clubs I play at always have the 900. And I don't want to bring a personal mixer to the club.

Though I do like the features of the 900.

My style is a lot of cutting, cueing, and genre blends so s9 makes sense .. But I don't want to get used to a mixer that I won't be able to use out

S9 to 900 would be a bit of a different flow no?
WarpNote 6:36 PM - 4 May, 2016
Kinda different, but not totally different.
I bought the 900 for the exact same reason myself to be honest, wanted to learn the standard well. As long as the club has cdj2000's I will run them in HID and get access to my cues and loops directly on the player, or I will bring the DDJ-SP1 as an add-on to the mixer.

Still, I often find it easier to just bring the S9 to clubs, I have yet to play a club that refused me to connect the S9. (I play about 6-8 different clubs each month.)
DjBliZz 7:52 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
rekordbox.com

Are the SDJ FX really not post-fader on the SRT? That's disappointing.
DjBliZz 7:53 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
RGB performance pads, loop controls, track browse, crossfader feel, line fader feel, dual USB computer setup (great for back2back/tag team), post fader on SDJ fx (on the SRT they are pre fader), FX levers are loads of fun (quicker to assign the FX than the 900).

That said though, the 900 is also a great mixer. I does boil down to your style of playing. If you like to layer fx, you probably wanna go with the 900, as it has both color fx, beat fx, send/return (S9 does not have send/return). And you can even layer serato fx on top with the 900. With the S9 you are limited to one effect at the time + filter/dub echo/etc. (no gate)

Also, if you mix more than 2 channels you'd want the 900, but if you're tablist, party rocker or like to bang the cues, you probably would prefer the S9.

Your best bet is to try them both and decide for yourself, but it may not be an option for your current location?

*This is what was supposed to quote the first post*

Are the SDJ FX really not post-fader on the SRT? That's disappointing.
keithers 8:01 PM - 5 July, 2016
Nexus 2 still doesn't work with serato though right?
deejdave 8:05 PM - 5 July, 2016
Quote:
Nexus 2 still doesn't work with serato though right?

Not yet.
jdiox369 4:37 AM - 6 July, 2016
I can confirm. I even tried it lol..
Nexus 2 + serato = no no.
rekordbox works really nice with it however....
blackavenger 7:25 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
With all that said the original NXS is the only one that is certified for dvs for all the players. Serato, Traktor and Rekordbox

I just hope that before Serato go under that they and Traktor Scratch are added to the NXS2's hardware support. I know it seems unthinkable that Serato are going under, but looking at all the recent news about Rane, I can't help but wonder....

If Serato sell to anyone, I just hope it's Pioneer and not InMusic.
Mike Blendz 3:12 AM - 14 July, 2016
Not sure if this belongs on the thread but I'm needing to use the Nexus2 setup soon at a club. Seeing as serato dj isn't compatible couldn't I just plug in an sl box (sl 3 that is) and then just use scratch live??
sl1200 4:34 AM - 14 July, 2016
Yes you can use the sl3 with the DJM900Nexus2 or any other dj mixer with RCA inputs
deejdave 1:14 PM - 14 July, 2016
Quote:
Not sure if this belongs on the thread but I'm needing to use the Nexus2 setup soon at a club. Seeing as serato dj isn't compatible couldn't I just plug in an sl box (sl 3 that is) and then just use scratch live??

Could do this exact thing with sdj as well as SSL.
Mike Blendz 6:59 PM - 14 July, 2016
Ok thanks! Just no HID mode correct? Only tone via CDs or usb right?
Mr. Goodkat 7:32 PM - 14 July, 2016
hid works with either
deejdave 11:01 PM - 14 July, 2016
Quote:
hid works with either

He is 100% wrong. The nxs2 setup is not supported via his by SSL or sdj yet. Rekordbox and vdj only thus far.