DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

2 Weeks In A Row

Dj K.Smith 7:14 PM - 22 May, 2009
That I've had gigs cancel LAST MINUTE... Damn recession...

Anybody else been hit last minute like this recently? This sucks...
Dj Shamann 7:41 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:

Last week, a few weeks before that it wasn't a cancel but a promoter I regulartily do one offs with, very successful one offs... had an absolute flop. That's why I've been laying low lately in more solid, but less profile gigs while this shit sorts itself out. It's not as fun but right now I don't trust many "big party! look at us" type gigs with the recession happening.
Dj K.Smith 7:47 PM - 22 May, 2009
I had a gig laast week cancel, but for a good reason... Birthday boy had to go to the hospital...

This weekend, dude this didn't finalize anything... Blew me up for months and months calling so when it was time to lock it up, nothing... I was looking forward to that $500 you know, lol????
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:57 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Last week, a few weeks before that it wasn't a cancel but a promoter I regulartily do one offs with, very successful one offs... had an absolute flop. That's why I've been laying low lately in more solid, but less profile gigs while this shit sorts itself out. It's not as fun but right now I don't trust many "big party! look at us" type gigs with the recession happening.

I had this happen not to long ago and it worked out for me, i got up with some local DJs who were doing 1 time a month promo partys, i did it in FEB and then i played with them again in March....then in April I wasnt invited to spin because they decided the party was doing so well they used the money from the ladt on eto get a nation wide type DJ to come spin.......i showed up the the party at about 2 am right before the big name went on and there had been mabye 30 people there durring the course of the entire night....between the venue and the superstar they lost ALOT of money....i had to walk up to the people and laugh and go "you see what happens when DJ MBezzle dosent spin hahaha".....they didnt think the joke was as funney as i did. (ps their all good friends of mine i wasnt being cocky they knew i was joking)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:57 PM - 22 May, 2009
you guys should post all of this in that can you make a living off djing thread
djrayray0981 8:01 PM - 22 May, 2009
Same here. I was suppose have one Last night on Thursday. I even started a thread on here because it was my all 90's Video gig. She called me on Monday, thought she was going to re-confirm that where still good, but instead she told me... she just lost her job and couldn't afford it. Need to be stricter on taking deposits. I also had a big wedding cancel on me. Said their cousin who is a dj was going to do it for free. Been having a hard time booking shit. I have been getting hit up for gigs, but nobody wants to pay. Got a call from Arroyo high school asking me to do their dance? Told them $500 for 4 hours and would even throw in the video, said if I would be willing to do it for $200 with out video. Had to say no. Wasn't worth canceling my bar gig... Nobody wants to pay more then $200 bucks. Going to have to start under cutting myself!!!
sixxx 8:06 PM - 22 May, 2009
Always.... get... a ...... non-refundable..... deposit. (for mobiles)
Dj K.Smith 8:16 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
Recession has really fucked with my cash flow.

Yeah man I usually would have had a few weddings under my belt by this time of the year but even they are slow... I still have a few exciting things coming up but in no way like the last 2 years...
Dj K.Smith 8:17 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
Always.... get... a ...... non-refundable..... deposit. (for mobiles)

Always do... That's a must...
sixxx 8:19 PM - 22 May, 2009
I'm with you on that K.Smith. I don't do many mobiles but my ad is always running for free in our publication. So, every year I get a bunch of calls regardless.... except this year. I notice a few calls here and there.
Dj K.Smith 8:28 PM - 22 May, 2009
It's really noticeable right now... I guess I've been fortunate to have been busier in the past to not really think about how fluid the gigs were. I miss that regular activity...
sixxx 8:32 PM - 22 May, 2009
I'm so glad I don't rely on DJing money for anything. It's nice to have but other than that my job pays all my bills. :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:34 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
I'm so glad I don't rely on BJing money for anything. It's nice to have but other than that my mom pays all my bills. :)

not everyones as lucky haha
Dj Shamann 8:34 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
It's really noticeable right now... I guess I've been fortunate to have been busier in the past to not really think about how fluid the gigs were. I miss that regular activity...

Big time. At the moment I think with all this downtime it's time to prepare a proper promo assualt, make a bunch of mixes, redesign all my online stuff etc, and then just go full force. Right now being broke and bored is a bad combo.
Dj K.Smith 8:41 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
I'm so glad I don't rely on DJing money for anything. It's nice to have but other than that my job pays all my bills. :)

Definitely... Dj'ing is my hustle money... My got out to eat lunch money, car wash money, buy a new macbook money, etc... LOL
Dj K.Smith 8:42 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
Big time. At the moment I think with all this downtime it's time to prepare a proper promo assualt, make a bunch of mixes, redesign all my online stuff etc, and then just go full force. Right now being broke and bored is a bad combo.

Yeah man I've been "re-doing my crates" and trying to make new sets... I reember how much I hate this part but how dope it is when I'm done and people dig my new arrangements...
DJYoshi 9:24 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:

everyone's had this sh** happen to them
just come up with a contract..if you need a copy of a service contract, let me know and I'll send one to you and you can just replace my name with yours....
take a 50% deposit....that way you're good to go...
50% of xxxx is more than 100% bullshit
djbigboy 9:45 PM - 22 May, 2009
I have not been getting a lot of mobile call either. And they want a discount, and for the amount they wanna pay, I'd rather do the club and not have a hassle (ie bs details, setting up gear, etc).
Dj K.Smith 9:47 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:

everyone's had this sh** happen to them
just come up with a contract..if you need a copy of a service contract, let me know and I'll send one to you and you can just replace my name with yours....
take a 50% deposit....that way you're good to go...
50% of xxxx is more than 100% bullshit

Oh I got a contract and all that... It's not a negative thing at all just sucks that times are like the way they are... People aren't as party going so to speak...
Mike_P 10:03 PM - 22 May, 2009
yeah it's tough right now. luckily i havent had any actual gigs cancel on me (i always have a contract and take a deposit) but i have had a lot of people call to set up a meeting then call me the day of and cancel. or tell me they loved my demo CD and that they want to set up a meeting and i never hear from them again. try to call and get a machine and no call back. most of the people i have booked i have had to give discounts to in order to get them. really sucks and this is how i make my living. :(
mle 10:35 PM - 22 May, 2009
The past few wedding clients that I have meet in person said that they really wanted me as their DJ but ended up getting a "cheaper" DJ because the "budget is tight". I've also had a few people think about throwing a birthday or graduation party and then quickly scrap the plans after they go calculate the costs. I won't lower my prices though. Just means that I have a lot more open weekends this summer than I have ever had. Things will come around though... Just stand firm on your prices otherwise you'll be essentially renting out your equipment below rental rates and working for free :P
sixxx 10:42 PM - 22 May, 2009
I agree with you mle. I won't go any lower than what my rates are. They're set very competitive already. I also look at it that way. If I ain't giggin', I'm spending time with my family which is nice. :)
AMF 12:12 PM - 24 May, 2009
So far I've been fortunate and not have many gigs cancel on me. On the 2 recent occasions that I've had a cancellation (in the past year), I've needed the time off anyway.

I have a question... if more than a few clients are on tight budgets, why wouldn't you make a "discount package" for them? Like for a wedding. If you normally charge $1000 for your good setup, why not just bring a couple PRX speakers and turntables (that's it)? Tell them to find someone to make the announcements, etc. This way you really don't have to meet with them 3 times before the wedding (only once to get the deposit!). Charge $500-$600 for this. Believe me I'd rather get my normal $1000 too. But in these times we all have to be a little flexible.
DJ Jonasty 1:55 PM - 24 May, 2009
Instead of lowering prices, maybe a good route to go is to throw in some extra's for the same price. Throw in a light show or video or extra time for the same price. I don't know, could provide some extra incentive.

My bar gig on Fri, we called it a night before it even started because it was so slow. So I hung out and had a drink and some food. As I was hanging out a small party came in and it was a woman's 30th birthday. They found out I was a dj and wanted some music. I said $200 and I'll play for ya. Couldn't get that, but they ended up scraping $150 together so I went to my truck, got my coffin and just played for an hour on the house speakers. I just plugged in and hit play. I figure something was better than nothing. Hard Times. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad here. Not as many weddings booked as last year or the year before, but that's a good thing I think! I'd rather hang with the family, real talk.
AMF 2:55 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
Instead of lowering prices, maybe a good route to go is to throw in some extra's for the same price. Throw in a light show or video or extra time for the same price. I don't know, could provide some extra incentive.

I think this is kind of like lowering the price (in theory). Once again, I've been fortunate so far but I'm not doing $1000 parties either, except for 1 prom this year. My DJ business isn't setup for extravagent events unless they're asking for it. Then I partner up with a sound/lighting company. I have some decent lighting but nothing like a few people here have (like kris p). Once this economy straightens itself out in a couple years, I'm going to get "extravagent" with my set up. Right now there is no need to do that because no one in Michigan can afford it.

Most of my mobile gigs consists of 2 turntables and 2 speakers... now let's party!
Dj K.Smith 3:18 PM - 24 May, 2009
I practically give video away to clients now-a-days... It is helping in justifying my prices because I'm selling them on "different" at their party...

I fortunately have something the next 2 weeks to make up for the last 2 weeks of cancellations... Man I'm missing loud music in my life, LOL...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:21 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:

That must be nice, people always want Oranges and Orange Juice even in a down economy..

: )
AMF 3:34 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
... Man I'm missing loud music in my life, LOL...

Yep. I love when the weekend comes so I can un-wind and hear some loud music (with a few drinks too). I dunno, it's something theraputic about DJing. It keeps me sane in an insane world. =P
sixxx 4:23 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

That must be nice, people always want Oranges and Orange Juice even in a down economy..

: )

Nah. That one is my other real job. I was talking my real job where I'm your pimp and you whore yourself out for $50.00 a bj. It's amazing you can bring 1000's in one night. lol
Hawk 5:08 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:
This year I've been having to watch my spending and the only trip I've taken so far was my trip to the bay...

I havne't been watching my spending and now I can't even afford an ego trip.
mle 5:38 PM - 24 May, 2009
Quote:

I have a question... if more than a few clients are on tight budgets, why wouldn't you make a "discount package" for them? Like for a wedding. If you normally charge $1000 for your good setup, why not just bring a couple PRX speakers and turntables (that's it)? Tell them to find someone to make the announcements, etc. This way you really don't have to meet with them 3 times before the wedding (only once to get the deposit!). Charge $500-$600 for this. Believe me I'd rather get my normal $1000 too. But in these times we all have to be a little flexible.

I do have a "base" package like what you're talking about but that doesn't compare to the DJ's who are offering everything they have for $400 or less. I'm one of the few who actually lists their base package prices on my website which is done to discourage the price hunters. It's just the mind set right now to skimp on where you can. They still end up spending $30k on the wedding but want to use a $200 DJ :P Just gonna wait it out here. Like others, DJ'n income for me is just extra pocket change while the day job pays all of the bills...
AMF 5:57 PM - 24 May, 2009
^^^ in this case you're absolutely right. It's just dumb for them to get a $200 DJ.

About 2 months I had got a call from a guy I've known for a few years. He's getting married soon. He called me because another dj was gonna "rob him blind with what he was charging", so he asked me to do it. I asked what the other dj was charging and he said $500. =P

I conveniently became "booked" at another engagement on the date of his wedding. The ONLY way I'd do a reception for less is if it was for my mother. And she's already married to my daddy. lol.
Dj K.Smith 9:14 PM - 24 May, 2009
Don't think any lower of me but I've even looked on cragslist to see what gigs were out there, LOL...
DJ GOOK 9:45 PM - 24 May, 2009
Its been happening to me ,but i do contracts and that means I still get paid at least half of what i charged them.
SiRocket 10:15 PM - 24 May, 2009
i laugh at people wanting weddings done for anything less then $800.00.... my best friend had a wedding this last weekend and the dj was horrible, he actually had a pre-mix of oldies (elvis... etc.) beatmatched, and he hit the "prev track" button his cd decks and it repeated the same "mix" over again, he just looked to see if people noticed and he let it ride... he was even "eq bouncing" with his hands to make it seem like he was doing something.

I'm not a mean guy at all, but no one was dancing after a few "heaters" and the guy was more concerned about eating his food and drinking his beer and then playing with his rackmount dual cd's... not to mention the guy was 300lbs and was sweating like a pig... i felt bad for him before he started but after that performance.... i laughed.

Told my buddy, did you enjoy your $500 dj???? he wasn't too happy at all. LOL

My original quote for him was $800.00 with video and lighting. one sub... and two pa's (and i was going to mic the ceremony too for no charge.)

This dj didn't mic shit, and couldn't even announce worth crap... makes me feel good about how i perform and shit.
SiRocket 10:17 PM - 24 May, 2009
one more thing... to me, i want people, friends, and family to hang out at my wedding, it is a BIG DEAL!!! why cheap out on the entertainment? booze can only do so much to people before they get tired and want to go home... this last wedding that i was talking about started at 5pm, and people were leaving at 8pm, and the crowd was all my age and my friends... (21-29 years old) plus the older peeps for family.

Sad when you don't have people wanting to stay around because the entertainment sucks.. LOL
DJ GOOK 12:59 AM - 25 May, 2009
dam sirocket I charge a mear 300.00 for a wedding. I dont never mic the wedding I let the wedding cornater do that.I see now I have to bump my prices up if a fat man worried about food and not the job at hand charging 500.00 and I'm dam GOOD.Thanx rocket for that info :)
Dj K.Smith 1:16 AM - 25 May, 2009
Well if it's a "Cornater" you work with it might be better that you don't "MC" a wedding, LOL...

If you only charge $300 you're killing us. So much just has to be right that day and the dj's pay is one of them. I'll always argue that we have the hardest, longest, and most taxing job of any other vendor at a wedding/reception. We make the party, period...
latindj 5:21 AM - 25 May, 2009
It's been hella slow this year...but like others have said, I won't lower my prices. I just won't work...

I quote people $1200 for 5 hours..and go up from there.
Laz219 11:32 AM - 25 May, 2009
I'm still yet to really be affected although for one monthly event I started it's getting harder to draw a good sized crowd.
Only cancellation I've had as yet though is this Saturday but that's because the birthday girl postponed it to go see the pussycat dolls...
DJ GOOK 12:52 PM - 25 May, 2009
Quote:
Well if it's a "Cornater" you work with it might be better that you don't "MC" a wedding, LOL...

If you only charge $300 you're killing us. So much just has to be right that day and the dj's pay is one of them. I'll always argue that we have the hardest, longest, and most taxing job of any other vendor at a wedding/reception. We make the party, period...

Killing youll.shit I'm killing myself. I'm trying not to let the wanab dj get all the money.I see i have to loose a few wedding gigs. So you are saying that the starting price should start at $800.00 and work from there?
DJ Jonasty 3:37 PM - 25 May, 2009
Charge what you're worth. period.
Dj K.Smith 4:52 PM - 25 May, 2009
^^^ +1...
Jader 3:56 PM - 26 May, 2009
Quote:
Told my buddy, did you enjoy your $500 dj???? he wasn't too happy at all. LOL

hehe
dj_KaSE 5:01 PM - 26 May, 2009
Quote:

+1

(Well, my wife's the one with the day job.)
Dj K.Smith 5:44 PM - 26 May, 2009
Yeah man thank God for the "9-5" but I'm missing some of my hustle money for real... I'm trying to be debt free this year... People need to call me about my turntables so I can make that happen...
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 6:32 PM - 26 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
... Man I'm missing loud music in my life, LOL...

Yep. I love when the weekend comes so I can un-wind and hear some loud music (with a few drinks too). I dunno, it's something theraputic about DJing. It keeps me sane in an insane world. =P

+1

My regular spot that I rotate with another DJ at canceled my Saturday this week. I guess their havein a band in there this week. It's cool I guess cause the other DJ is wack and they want me to start doin every weekend now. Saturdays are always hit and miss so I just hope they don't start doin bands every Saturday.

Haven't noticed alot of cancelations in my area though.
DJ GOOK 10:44 PM - 26 May, 2009
I work the night shift 3-11(friday,saturday and sundays) how can i get my parties in.need some suggestions.Quiting my job is not even thinkable
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:46 PM - 27 May, 2009
have an opener play till midnight then you play from midnight to close
OG Supernatural 3:18 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:

Trend is also that folks are hiring DJ's at the last minute? I'm getting calls for weddings 1-2 months away when usually they book 6 months to a year out! I'm sure folks are watching their money and if things are ok a month out from the event they will hire... if things ain't so good they cancel.
Dj K.Smith 3:23 PM - 27 May, 2009
True that OG... That has happened a bit this year, but it's been a little slow my way... How are you guys up there in the Bay?
latindj 3:32 PM - 27 May, 2009
It's been a little slow, although I haven't really hustled much this year with the wifey beeing sick. I kind of took it easy but I have noticed people booking with only 1 or 2 months before their event. My buddy had no problems booking his entire year early though...
SiRocket 3:59 PM - 27 May, 2009
i love when someone wants to book me for a wedding a month in advance but meeting with me isn't a priority to them or they rush the whole playlist, routine, etc... not my fault you guys didn't take the time.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:10 PM - 27 May, 2009
Man look, I'm about to start making FREE CD's again.
Dj K.Smith 6:52 PM - 27 May, 2009
I ain't mad JM... I need to start practicing more in all this free time I seem to have...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:12 PM - 27 May, 2009
U Already Know...At least it will be different with the SL3 now....stay tuned...
Dj K.Smith 8:27 PM - 27 May, 2009
You got a TON of records to rip...
DjWoody 9:11 PM - 27 May, 2009
I been bombarded with Wedding requests this year. I turned every single one of them down, except the one this coming weekend. Why? Cuz that's my sister's wedding! lol...

The main reason why I turned down the weddings was because most of the people who have called me are old friends of mine who I haven't spoken to in ages. And out of the blue they call me, not to say hi but to DJ their wedding. That's bullshit. They only call when they need something. I know a few of them already got married and I didn't even get invited! HA!!!
Dj K.Smith 9:18 PM - 27 May, 2009
You can always have them callme Woody, lol... I'll charge them more to help you get back at them.... LOL
dj_KaSE 9:42 PM - 27 May, 2009
Yeah Woody, I'll help you out too haha.
sixxx 10:06 PM - 27 May, 2009
Yeah. I hate people who call me out of the blue for favors. lol
SiRocket 10:07 PM - 27 May, 2009
yo, sixxx pm me... i need to borrow your turntables!
DJ'Que 10:26 PM - 27 May, 2009
Yeah woody I'll knock out some of them weddings for you.
DJ'Que 10:43 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
dam sirocket I charge a mear 300.00 for a wedding. I dont never mic the wedding I let the wedding cornater do that.I see now I have to bump my prices up if a fat man worried about food and not the job at hand charging 500.00 and I'm dam GOOD.Thanx rocket for that info :)
Thats a dam shame. I get $300 dollar deposit's or $300 to rent out my system.for weddings I charge $1000 the lowest.and most pay me in full so they dont have to worry about the dj no more. I look on cl and laugh at dj's chargeing that. its like you would dj at party for $200 and then dj a wedding rec.for $200 which means they never dj'ed a reception b4.I got a call from a lady last week that said I like your ad.So how much to dj a reception for 5hr. I said $1250 she say's but this other dj told me $300 I was like ok cool book him.so she did.well she calls me 1 into the reception and ask if I could make it cuz the $300 dj didnt show I go thats nothing new.but I go I'm djing now so I cant,then a replacement dj show's and goes im hear to cover for ?? dj and she goes of on him and she was mad.he goes look he called me to cover for him.she said I call him 1000 times and he didnt pickup. and he started laughing and said I know.well he djed and she said he was terrible.
DJ'Que 10:53 PM - 27 May, 2009
Quote:
I work the night shift 3-11(friday,saturday and sundays) how can i get my parties in.need some suggestions.Quiting my job is not even thinkable
I dont know any dj's that work a regular job them days especially from 3 till 11pm.thats why you charge $300 for a wedding. cause its side money for you. your in a different bracket then most of us.not being a jerk,but it seems you havent been djing that long.
sixxx 2:21 AM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
yo, sixxx pm me... i need to borrow your turntables!

hahaha
DJ GOOK 2:45 AM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
I dont know any dj's that work a regular job them days especially from 3 till 11pm.thats why you charge $300 for a wedding. cause its side money for you. your in a different bracket then most of us.not being a jerk,but it seems you havent been djing that long.

actually I've been Djing for 15years now. I have a family now and dj money is not guranteed and I'm on this shift because of a promotion.One thing my 9 to 5 gives me is a guranteed pay check and also health benefits for my fam. oh yea that $300.00 dj wasnt me. just cause you charge a G dont mean you are worth it. I'm just talking actual factuals.
DJDaveOtt 3:02 PM - 28 May, 2009
i, like 5 million other americans, lost my job in jan of this year and now im relying solely on djing (and unemployment compensation)
i talked with my saturday night club owner and worked out a deal so that i can book private parties in the evening/early night and show up there at about 11-11:30. i recorded some mixes and put them on an ipod. they play them and make their own announcements like "DJ DAVE OTT will be here shortly, shot specials, and so on"

1st, i try to schedule the private party to end at 9-10. this seems to work when i tell them i charge by the hour...$100/hr so starting at 4 and ending at 10 would be $600.
if that doesnt work and they want to have a dj til 10, 11, or even 12, i ask them if its alright if i have an associate of mine take and play requests for the last hour or two. there are always young, eager to learn djs, that will take that job. and i can afford to compensate them well, especially if they are tearing down the gear. and that is the easy part of the night...no announcements...

i have noticed im getting fewer calls for mobile gigs.
i blame it on a couple different factors.
1st, seems like alot of people are price shopping.(and i'm expensive)(at least for my area)
2nd, seems like i hear about a new dj every week. you know, the kid with a laptop, internet connection, and virtual dj....lol
3rd, i will NOT lower my price. i will work with you on price, but im NOT free!
lastly, people are cutting back. other djs are available for weddings cause they are not djing grad partys, bday partys, ect...

i wont lower my price. i try to explain and educate customers on why i charge so much. running a legit business, dedicated phone line, website, advertising, insurance and not to mention, PROFESSIONAL equipment...

to sum it up, yeah. it's been slower than normal. when i had my 9-5 i didnt need the gigs. now i do, and their arent many comin in....
Caramac 3:28 PM - 28 May, 2009
Sorry to hear that bruv and for everyone in similar situations at the moment.
Boba Tha Hut 4:39 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Yeah. I hate guys who call me out of the blue for sexual favors. lol

Does your lady know about this sixxx?
sixxx 5:10 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah. I hate guys who call me out of the blue for sexual favors. lol

Does my lady know about me sixxx?

That you're gay? I don't know. Ask her.