Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Apple Ends Support for QuickTime for Windows

Olee 7:07 PM - 15 April, 2016
US government recommends to uninstall QuickTime for Windows users.
www.us-cert.gov
www.theverge.com

I'd like to hear from the Serato guys on how to deal with this situation.

Thanks!
Versionist 9:13 PM - 15 April, 2016
Why do you need QuickTime for Serato? I always skip that part of the installation.
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:55 PM - 15 April, 2016
Quote:
Why do you need QuickTime for Serato?

well if you want to use certain audio and video formats that you need quick time for serato
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:57 PM - 15 April, 2016
also because merica recommends uninstalling quicktime your a terrorist if you don't comply
wildchild6907 10:17 PM - 15 April, 2016
what.does.that.have.to.do.with.djing.in.general.........i.dont.trust.t
hem.cowards.
wildchild6907 10:17 PM - 15 April, 2016
im a army vet...trust me dont trust them....they are not in ur best intrest
Beau_Barger 10:57 PM - 15 April, 2016
Right, its actually a heap vulnerability if you have QT. So all those cute "see your aura color" things on Facebook, or even nice 3D screen saver sites, they can remotely execute code, thus activating a payload, through your browser if you have QT installed on Windows.
Beau_Barger 10:59 PM - 15 April, 2016
Also, @wildchild6907 thanks for your service.
Lightning 2:23 PM - 17 April, 2016
Maybe M$ should no longer support Office on Mac. This is stupid that post Job'S Apple would even consider this as ok. Doesn't give any developers much time to come out with a backout strategy for programs that use QT dependency.
I'll probably wind up uninstalling SDJ until this security issue is resolved. Knowing Serato's take on it, they will probably recommend that we keep our laptops air gapped indefinitely.

www.inc.com
DJ Aquapimp 6:47 PM - 18 April, 2016
I'd really like to hear serato's take on this! A HUGE portion of my library is ALAC. Seems they should come up with a fix and update both scratch live & serato dj to continue supporting a format that was supported when people purchased their devices. I'm so glad I have rekordbox DVS now with my new DJM-900NXS2 and it works just fine with ALAC without quicktime installed. I just think the library organization needs improvement. My ALAC files actually play fine in WMP as well so I don't see how both of those programs can get it to work without quicktime and Serato can't. The clock is ticking serato, are you just going to sit around and let brighter minds at Pioneer take your market share while your software becomes irrelevant beacuase it's losing features that people bought it for?
Whozya 5:54 AM - 19 April, 2016
Serato DJ also uses Quicktime to play MP4 videos that we are all getting now. I did uninstall quicktime on my PC just in case this warning is accurate. All my video files are MP4's and will no longer play with Serato DJ. I would hate to see the Serato team just watch their customers lose money because they decided to do nothing. I have tried Virtual DJ with Video after I uninstalled quicktime and that program works just fine. I really like Serato DJ and would like to see them help their customers with this issue.
soul63 7:15 AM - 19 April, 2016
i did uninstall quicktime..no idea if really needed to but this laptop i use a lot on the net..i have left it on my other laptop because i dont use internet on it..its a case now of looking for an alternative programme..i can still play mp4 files in vdj & traktor and thankfully dont have to many,so if i need to really play an mp4 track in serato i can record it to mp3 in vdj or trakor or get a converter..dont know if i want serato to step in..would they?
Michael A 8:58 PM - 19 April, 2016
Well I really did it this time. I deleted Quicktime for Win 7, and now in SDJ my I tunes Library is showing the yellow triangles of death. I'm so fucked.

If I have to delete and re-install SDJ (7.8), and/or rebuild the V2 database, do I lose all my saved loops and cue points, etc.?
deejdave 11:24 PM - 19 April, 2016
Quote:
If I have to delete and re-install SDJ (7.8), and/or rebuild the V2 database, do I lose all my saved loops and cue points, etc.?

No this info is saved to the files themselves not that database.
Michael A 12:07 AM - 20 April, 2016
@deejdave, thanks for the info. Holy smokes thank goodness!!! I set a lot of saved loops.

I've been backing up and saving all of these Serato folder and files periodically. Can I just replace the Serato files with my most recent version of the files or is it best to start from scratch?

Thanks again!
Michael A 12:14 AM - 20 April, 2016
Regardless, apparently it's just not an option for win 7 users to delete QuickTime, security threat or no threat. It does not just affect video but capability to run audio files as well.

This machine is frozen in time, no win updates, no Serato updates, no nothing. I guess it's just a question of time. Looks it's time for a MBP. I've been watching some refurb mid 2012 models.

Thanks again!
Senor R 1:17 AM - 20 April, 2016
Since QuickTime is not going to be available for futures windows updates. That means that Seraton will have to find a different option for displaying de videos. I hope that they can impove the Serto Video.
Michael A 4:35 AM - 20 April, 2016
Thankfully, I was able to get this fixed. To do so, I did the following:

1) Uninstall QuickTime and Serato DJ.
2) Rename and move the Serato and Serato Backup files.

Restart

3) Download and re-install QuickTime.
4) Restore from back up earlier version of _Serato_ and Serato Backup files to Win Music folder.
5) Re-install SDJ 1.7.8.
6) Re-scan ID3 tags in SDJ.
Whozya 5:49 AM - 20 April, 2016
That is not really a fix when your uninstalling and then reinstalling quicktime,
Michael A 6:14 AM - 20 April, 2016
QuickTime looks to be necessary for SDJ to read and import my I-Tunes Library in Win 7.

Merely going back to a restore point before I initially uninstalled QuickTime did not fix the problem. Nor did re-importing the I-Tunes into SDJ, or re-scanning the tags, or just restoring the earlier SDJ back up files. Once it was broke, it was broke.

So in a way this is the best fix at the moment, short of buying a refurbished MBP. I got my more or less air gapped Win 7 laptop back to run 1.7.8. Cue points and loops are there. I'm not changing a damn thing going forward.
max_imus 11:28 AM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
I'd really like to hear serato's take on this! A HUGE portion of my library is ALAC.

same here. Serato response would be appreciated
Michael A 12:03 PM - 20 April, 2016
Not just Serato having big problems, Adobe came out and warned that some of their products rely on the codec and will be effected. It's a mess and apparently there isn't an easy plug-in to provide or Adobe would do so.
deejdave 9:36 PM - 20 April, 2016
Quote:
QuickTime looks to be necessary for SDJ to read and import my I-Tunes Library in Win 7.

Merely going back to a restore point before I initially uninstalled QuickTime did not fix the problem. Nor did re-importing the I-Tunes into SDJ, or re-scanning the tags, or just restoring the earlier SDJ back up files. Once it was broke, it was broke.

So in a way this is the best fix at the moment, short of buying a refurbished MBP. I got my more or less air gapped Win 7 laptop back to run 1.7.8. Cue points and loops are there. I'm not changing a damn thing going forward.

I hope you understand it is Quicktime on Windows itself that is the issue so any workaround involving keeping Quicktime would be right back where you started.
Michael A 9:55 PM - 20 April, 2016
Yes sir, I understand the underlying problem of an unsupported but necessary QuickTime for Win remains. But thankfully back to where I started will work for the time being. That being a Win 7 machine that runs SDJ 1.7.8 really well. It's a whole lot better than the yellow triangles and dead in the water.

I wonder if the industry just responds with a codec to fill this necessity and this all goes away quietly, or if Apples decision to stop supporting QuickTime is an indication of greater changes the OSX work arounds for WIN game going forward.

I'm already shopping MBA vs MBP, in case push comes to shove and I have to choose. It was inevitable anyway.
Whozya 10:13 PM - 20 April, 2016
I put in a support ticket for this issue with the Serato team and here is the response I recieved from them.

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this issue with QuickTime and Windows.

We are aware of announcement about Quicktime and have addressed this with an article on our Help Centre, which you can find here (support.serato.com).
Depending on the kinds of files you're using, you may or may not be able to uninstall QuickTime without this affecting your use of Serato DJ.

If you are using Serato Video with video files, or have any AAC audio files you will need to keep Quicktime installed. The potential to change the way that we deal with Video & AAC files is something that we have in our sights, and may pursue in the future.

Bruce T.
Customer Support Team Lead

So from what I understanding from the support team, Windows users that bought Serato DJ and Serato Video are left to either blow in the wind or run the possible risk of having their computer hacked due to an unsupported program on their computer. This is not how you respond to this issue when you have programs like Traktor, Rekordbox, and Virtual DJ that are not having the same issue and are all looking to take Serato's customers.
Whozya 10:37 PM - 20 April, 2016
I am very careful with all programs I install on all my computers. But the fact that the customer support team is saying it may pursue a fix in the future does not instill faith in myself or any customer. It is like saying that you have faulty breaks on your car and the mechanic says that if you don't put your foot on the break it should be OK and then says that he may look into a fix for the breaks on your car. That kind of thing does not make you very confident in the mechanic or the dealership that you took your car to for repairs. Just Sayin ;)
Michael A 10:38 PM - 20 April, 2016
Their response is not a whole lot different then Adobe's response to its customers.

The real question is how does the market respond to apples power play? Do you just divest in the windows hardware, and give in and purchase the Apple? Or does it piss the market off, and drive them away from the Apple product?

Apple is kind of being cute and not even making a significant statement regarding why they chose to stop supporting this product. I believe it was a calculated move, and one to make a statement to the industry. The timing is kind of curious too considering the recent issue with the cracking of the phone security.
Whozya 10:41 PM - 20 April, 2016
They started to not support windows quietly when Windows 8 was released. It is just that nobody noticed or cared. Now that they are on Windows 10 and now computer security experts are realizing that the security on Quicktime has not been updated in so long there is an issue and I am sure someone has had a security breach because of this.
dj_spark 5:37 AM - 21 April, 2016
As long are your djing laptop don't got online, you shouldn't care...
deejdave 9:21 PM - 21 April, 2016
Quote:
As long are your djing laptop don't got online, you shouldn't care...

I always keep my laptops online when djing especially with 1.9 and pulselocker obviously.
DJ Aquapimp 11:06 PM - 21 April, 2016
Quote:
in the mean time as long as you don't load dodgily sourced files into your library you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

.exe is not a supported media file type. Just sayin ;)

What? Please explain because you seem mis-informed on this issue.

www.forbes.com

“These two vulnerabilities are considered ‘remote code execution’ vulnerabilities, which means a miscreant could get the victim to click on a link or visit a website, and remotely hack into the computer without ever physically being in front of the computer,”

Advising your customers to keep this kind of vulnerability on their PC's is pretty risky & irresponsible. Are you just not at all worried about lawsuits because you are based in New Zealand?
soul63 11:26 PM - 21 April, 2016
excuse me for being a bit dim.lol..if the player is removed can files still then be played in serato?
soul63 11:32 PM - 21 April, 2016
thanks for your help..lol..simple yes or no would have sufficed...not being very tecnically minded sure somebody will answer
soul63 11:36 PM - 21 April, 2016
ah''i just read on..ok cool..lol
Olee 2:21 PM - 25 April, 2016
Thank you for your answer @Kane D :)
nik39 5:20 PM - 25 April, 2016
Quote:
We're only advising that users who NEED quicktime to play certain file types keep quicktime 'installed'. For minimalised risk, remove the executable application files instead of the whole program, that way the player is removed, but the codecs & libraries will still be usable for decoding certain file types within Serato DJ.

Refer to our article below for more info.
support.serato.com

Hey Kane,

uninstalling the executable would be sufficient to be safe? Sounds a bit strange to me. Who is saying that the exploit in the executable does not affect the libraries/dlls?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:53 AM - 26 April, 2016
Hi nik39

Good question :) We have investigated this thoroughly and feel confident that the recommendation to remove the executables is good: support.serato.com

The more dangerous of the two vulnerabilities - a user opening a malicious web page - is definitely avoided by removing the Quicktime Player, as this type of attack requires the Quicktime Player to launch (which isn't possible if it's not there).

For the other vulnerability where a user needs to open a malicious file, the best information strongly suggests that the Quicktime Player needs to be used for there to be a danger. The way Serato software uses the Quicktime libraries and the SDK means that this attack almost certainly won't work if a malicious file is accidentally imported and loaded to deck.

Cheers, Aaron
dj_spark 9:53 AM - 29 April, 2016
The vulnerabilities seem limited to 32bits Windows, the x64 are safe.
blog.beatunes.com

"Apple has never ported QuickTime into the 64-bit world"