Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Disabling Individual MIDI Ports

Unit27 3:08 PM - 11 April, 2016
Is there a way to disable individual MIDI ports for use by Serato DJ?

I'm having trouble with MIDI feedback between 2 controllers, and one of them is not intended to be used by Serato. Problem is as it stands Serato sends MIDI feedback to all ports at the same time, causing unintended behavior on my 2nd controller.

The Enable MIDI Device toggles MIDI mapping functionality for all devices at once. I'm looking for a way to disable single ports for use by Serato, or maybe a way to route MIDI input and output to a specific port. I'm wondering if there's a way to do that in the MIDI mapping XML.
DjSyndic8 6:49 PM - 11 April, 2016
so you have 2 midi controllers going into 1 laptop yes?
Unit27 7:55 PM - 11 April, 2016
Quote:
so you have 2 midi controllers going into 1 laptop yes?

Yeah, trying to use one for Serato control and another for Live.
DJVertigo 12:38 AM - 12 April, 2016
I would like to know if this is possible as well/
DjSyndic8 2:31 AM - 12 April, 2016
Problem: MIDI controllers - apparently, there can only be one?
serato.com
Code:E 4:38 AM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Problem is as it stands Serato sends MIDI feedback to all ports at the same time, causing unintended behavior on my 2nd controller.

Are you sure. because I'm not sure that's true...
Unit27 6:43 AM - 12 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Problem is as it stands Serato sends MIDI feedback to all ports at the same time, causing unintended behavior on my 2nd controller.

Are you sure. because I'm not sure that's true...

I've checked with MIDI Monitor and when Serato first loads or you load a MIDI map it sends a MIDI messages batch to initialize your controllers. Problem is the same batch is sent to all ports, which is what can create conflicts. Also MIDI feedback goes out to every controller, that's why it's recommended that you use different controllers on separate MIDI channels. My problem is one of my controllers (Ableton Push) receives notes on all 16 channels for LED blinking, so I can't filter it out.
the smooth operator 1:18 AM - 18 April, 2016
I am having the same issues. I use the ableton push 2 in user mode for serato dj and mixemergency functions and the standard mode for ableton. i use midi patchbay to route the user mode to a different channel so it doesnt conflict with my mixer (rane 64) or turntables reloop rp8000s. i have light feed back that triggers certian pads even when out of user mode. i can deal with it but its annoying. it doesn't trigger any functions but it is confusing and makes the light feed back not as useful as it could be. I just added an akai 49advance and it conflicts with the midi between my turntables making all the midi functions useless. I am still trying to work the issues out in midi pipe but in serato djs setup if i disable any midi device it disables them all. i don't need the keyboard for any serato functions but for some reason it won't let me disable it
DjSyndic8 4:11 AM - 18 April, 2016
so you guys are trying to make something work that is not suppose to on your laptops right, plugging so many midi controllers into one laptop and expecting it to work flawlessly, to me that is a not a stable setup especially if you are going to play live
there is a reason why this is not supposed to work purely because of stability issues, if you really want a work around why not use 2 or 3 laptops and route them all onto a 4 channel mixer make sense doesn't it.
Unit27 5:14 AM - 18 April, 2016
Not everything is about stability. What we're trying to do is be able to combine 2 pieces of software and take advantage of each one's features.

The way hardware drivers work nowadays makes a multi controller setup perfectly doable in a stable manner, and there's a ton off artists working with complex setups on a daily basis. The problem is that Serato DJ's MIDI implementation isn't fully fleshed out yet, maybe to keep it simple, because the team hasn't got around to it yet, or because it's not in their game plan. The fact that they've added native hardware remapping makes me think it's the 2nd reason. What we're looking for is basic MIDI routing functionality, and I something that could open up Serato for innovative applications.
DJ KNKT 9:02 AM - 26 December, 2016
+1

I'm currently using Serato DJ 1.9.4 with a Rane TTM 56s, SL3, NI Traktor Kontrol x1 (1st edition), and Ableton Push1.

My dilemma may not be exactly like Unit27, but then again it might. I've tried countless hours of rearranging things, searching forums, etc. to be able to use my Ableton Push "User Mode" and NI's x1 to map the same feature. i.e.- have Cue #1 be pressed from either the x1, OR, the Push. Think of DJ routines you see now-a-days where a DJ uses Traktor & a Maschine MK2 to activate the same cue point. There is so much more they do, but that's a basic feature. I'm wanting to use the Push1 similar to a MK2. To be able to do a drum pattern/solo and then quickly switch to user mode to start/stop a cue point, or whatever.

I've contacted Serato countless times about MIDI issues that have yet to be resolved. Serato Scratch Live worked great (for the most part), but of course, if I'm going to want to use all the Serato DJ features that I spent money on, then I'd like to be able to use SDJ over SSL.

One way that "might" resolve some issues is if I can enable/disable certain MIDI devices in SDJ just like what was mentioned above.
dj monsta 12:38 PM - 2 March, 2017
Same here.
I use Ableton with Push1 and Serato with Rane 62. If Ableton/Serato has Link now it should work, but it doesn't. When play drums in Drum Rack on Push, Serato send some midi information and when I hit one button, the other buttons in Rack plays also and that's a mess.I have unchecked in Serato Midi preferences "use device" for Push, but anyway it send information to Push. Can't find any information on this.
the smooth operator 2:35 AM - 15 March, 2017
Midi patch bay free program. Route all other midi controllers to midi channels 2 through 16. I use the push 2 multiple keyboards Rane 64 reloop rp8000. Send midi to ableton, serato, mixemergency. This program solved all the midi conflicts .... some on Instagram hit me up and they were about to return there reloops because of all the conflicts they took my advice and use midi patch bay. Easy to use works like magic !
the smooth operator 2:36 AM - 15 March, 2017
Quote:
Same here.
I use Ableton with Push1 and Serato with Rane 62. If Ableton/Serato has Link now it should work, but it doesn't. When play drums in Drum Rack on Push, Serato send some midi information and when I hit one button, the other buttons in Rack plays also and that's a mess.I have unchecked in Serato Midi preferences "use device" for Push, but anyway it send information to Push. Can't find any information on this.

In ableton it is easy to disabled the devices (track on off) that you don't want sending notes
DjBliZz 3:16 AM - 15 March, 2017
Following...
DJ KNKT 1:28 AM - 3 May, 2017
Quote:
Midi patch bay free program. Route all other midi controllers to midi channels 2 through 16. I use the push 2 multiple keyboards Rane 64 reloop rp8000. Send midi to ableton, serato, mixemergency. This program solved all the midi conflicts .... some on Instagram hit me up and they were about to return there reloops because of all the conflicts they took my advice and use midi patch bay. Easy to use works like magic !

@the smooth operator ...I have tried that (I believe) because my Traktor Kontrol x1 (gen 1) came with a program called "control editor." In that program, you can change the channel of the notes. I did this, didn't work. I tried making the notes the exact channel and cc number that my ableton push had (so that two controllers could control the same feature), but that didn't work either. Also, I've noticed that playing the Ableton Push while Serato DJ is open will cause unwanted things to happen too. Like adjusting the master volume on the Push will constantly retrigger cue #3 I think it was. Also, by pressing (I think it was) the play button on the Push, it activates Serato Video.

Any thoughts?
the smooth operator 4:22 AM - 4 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

@the smooth operator ...I have tried that (I believe) because my Traktor Kontrol x1 (gen 1) came with a program called "control editor." In that program, you can change the channel of the notes. I did this, didn't work. I tried making the notes the exact channel and cc number that my ableton push had (so that two controllers could control the same feature), but that didn't work either. Also, I've noticed that playing the Ableton Push while Serato DJ is open will cause unwanted things to happen too. Like adjusting the master volume on the Push will constantly retrigger cue #3 I think it was. Also, by pressing (I think it was) the play button on the Push, it activates Serato Video.

Any thoughts?

I was having the same problem midi patch bay fixed it I run a lot of midi devices with Serato dj each device in a different midi channel. That traktor program might just be changing what channel goes to traktor . Midi patch bay controls all programs you specify
djdebby9ja 12:19 PM - 4 May, 2017
pls i need help anytime am playing with my serato dJ different song play underground even if i pause d two side player d sound still come out on till i on plug d cable from my laptop n plug it back b4 it stop
pls help me its really disgracing me in d club
Unit27 12:32 PM - 4 May, 2017
Quote:
pls i need help anytime am playing with my serato dJ different song play underground even if i pause d two side player d sound still come out on till i on plug d cable from my laptop n plug it back b4 it stop
pls help me its really disgracing me in d club

You should start a new thread, your issue is different of what we're duscussing here.