DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 to Pioneer s9

Mr. Goodkat 11:54 PM - 1 April, 2016
If you switched from a Rane 62 to a Pioneer s9, why did you switch?

I never considered the 62 because i had more than a few friends say they didnt like it or i saw them complain about it on social media.

The real upside i can see is being able to use scratch live or dj, so i went to demo'ed one and i could use sdj or ssl with el capitan 11.11.3.

just wondering what made people switch.
Dj Rehab 1:29 AM - 2 April, 2016
I switched because of the cue buttons and the headphone fader. When I got the Pioneer, I had no idea Serato DJ would run better on it . Also, the roll effects on the Pioneer are just sick. Like a dicer but better. I've grown to love the Pioneer, I flow much better with it. I've even had people come up and tell me I must be practicing more (lol). No, it just had a better layout.
Niro 9:51 AM - 2 April, 2016
My S9 sits on the shelf, fun simple mixer, but quality isn't up to par. Mine would reboot if i hit yhe cue buttons too fast. The layout is a little simpler than the 62, because it is more basic in function and ability.
DJ Irv 3:20 PM - 2 April, 2016
Quote:
Mine would reboot if i hit yhe cue buttons too fast.

RMA that thing. 1600 is too much to pay for paper weight.
Mr. Goodkat 4:24 PM - 2 April, 2016
Quote:
My S9 sits on the shelf, fun simple mixer, but quality isn't up to par. Mine would reboot if i hit yhe cue buttons too fast. The layout is a little simpler than the 62, because it is more basic in function and ability.

you never thought about trying to send it to pioneer? mine works fine., its gotta be a lemon.

i guess when i demo'ed it, the buttons did see a bit small. although i dont like the 8 big color changing buttons. Seems like to much and if you get a lot of cues it looks so toy like. like a simon says game.
DJ Irv 5:07 PM - 2 April, 2016
Quote:
although i dont like the 8 big color changing buttons. Seems like to much and if you get a lot of cues it looks so toy like. like a simon says game.

On Traktor cue colors are fixed colors so at a glance you can tell what the cues are for.
Blue: Cues
Green: Loops
Yellow: Load Cue
White: Beat Grid

It doesn't quite make as much sense on SDJ/SL it picks colors all willy nilly. The colors should mean something.
Niro 5:36 PM - 2 April, 2016
It was just sent back today, i posted a video and a few people contacted me about their S9 also being glitchy, but thought it was their usb coming loose...etc. All good, there's always going to be some lemons in the pile. Just hope any hardware issues happen within the first year or its gonna be pricey to get fixed.

Since i color code my cue points, i personally like the colored buttons. The mixer is good for out of the box use, gets really limited if you're a power user. Not sure how the midi channels are routed, but there are some really basic functions that it is able to do. Like mapping the load deck to each side, currently the library section on both sides will is only mappable to do functions on one side. There's a lot of ther stuff too, but that should be pretty basic.
thorissr 8:33 PM - 2 April, 2016
I switched for the cue buttons which eliminated the the need of bringing my ddj sp1. Also the fact that when I demo'ed it the buttery smooth cross fader and the effects toggle switches sealed the deal for me.
JaeOneMusic 4:28 PM - 15 July, 2016
I went back to the 62. I had too many issues. Faceplate paint, knob paint, and crossfader calibration issues should not be issues on a mixer at that price point.

I also missed the headphone channel cue buttons on the 62, which allowed me to treat them like like a fast master/cue switch.

On the s9, you had to turn the master/cue knob to master when needed. I keep my cans on for a majority of the night and use the master quite often to monitor when I bring in new tracks, etc.
Mr. Goodkat 9:19 PM - 16 July, 2016
still on my 62 and ssl. no problems. sdj continues to give me problems and spin backwards until i change the name of the midi folder for whatever reason.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:09 AM - 18 July, 2016
Waiting on my S9 to the deliver... Just a flare up of RGAS as I already have a 62.

Ordered it post Brexit due to the drop in the exchange value. I'm in the Euro zone.

Saved close to €250, I can imagine that some foreign investors would have made some solid investment during that period eg buying properties and what not.
HighTopFade 10:32 PM - 21 October, 2016
S9 owners, where do you have have the attenuator set to have similar output as the Rane 62?