DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Could the Denon MCX8000 be a serious alternative to a Pioneer Setup in Clubs?

robinho 2:09 PM - 29 March, 2016
Hello everyone!

I´ve just watched yesterday some videos about the Denon MCX8000 and everything sounds so great that I start to ask myself if this mixer/controller could be a serious alternative to the pioneer club setup (for example: 2x CDJ900NXS & DJM850k, i know that the top is the CDJ2000NXS2 and the DJM900NXS2, but I dont want to spend 6.500€ for this stuff).

First of all, i want to introduce myself and my setup. I am a DJ for one year now and my setup is 2x Reloop RP-6000 and the Traktor Kontrol S8 from NI. I like this setup, but it is very big and needs a lot of space.
Another disadvantage is that you have to use a laptop. You could replace the two RP6000 with some Pioneer CDJ or Denon SC3900 to use the S8 as standalone mixer in case that the laptop crashes, but you still have the disadvantage that the S8 and Traktor Pro 2 have some bugs and are not recommended for clubs. Actually I don´t care because my calendar is full as mobile DJ, but i want to make a step up after the summer period.

Well, as we know, the big clubs all have Pioneer DJM and CDJ as standard because it is absolutely reliable, the sound is awesome and so on...to make it short: there is a reason why Pioneer is the #1. But as above mentioned, Pioneer is damn expensive. Now, Denon will release the MCX8000 by the end of next month and it looks like this thing is able to do everything that a whole and expensive Pioneer Setup can do as well. You have USB Slots for external sticks or hard drives, an own integrated engine, the screens are awesome, it works perfectly with Serato or as standalone-mixer with integrated effects and everything for just 1.300€. This looks like a perfect deal.
I am really not a fan of jogwheels, I prefer vinyl and if I got the space for using the MCX8000 with TT´s, I could do so and still have a backup solution if my laptop crashes or anything happens with the TT´s.
But...I wouldn´t buy it, if the MCX won´t be accepted in the clubs. Will this controller/mixer find it´s way? If this thing is as good as it seems to be, then the price will be a hugh advantage and even clubs will have to think about that (in my opinion).

But what do you think? What points are wrong with my
consideration? As I said, I´m not that experienced as DJ and not a native speaker (so sorry if i made some faults), but i´m always willing to learn.

So, I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Rob
Rebelguy 3:09 PM - 29 March, 2016
No it will not.
Mr. Goodkat 3:23 PM - 29 March, 2016
im sure if you want to bring your denon its fine to use in clubs, clubs just wont be purchasing one for the booth.
darkpsyde dnb 8:58 PM - 29 March, 2016
Not until they have decent bpm recognition in their software and editable grids. It looks like it would be great as a controller for serato. But if you're going to need the computer anyways, they need to shave $400 off that price.
Rebelguy 10:22 PM - 29 March, 2016
Quote:
Not until they have decent bpm recognition in their software and editable grids. It looks like it would be great as a controller for serato. But if you're going to need the computer anyways, they need to shave $400 off that price.

It's only $1299. If that's the case then Pioneer should shave $1100 off their price of the DDJ-SZ. Which they should.
dj_soo 10:29 PM - 29 March, 2016
no way.

I could see a small bar or lounge looking to save money setting one up, but never a real club.
darkpsyde dnb 11:44 PM - 29 March, 2016
youll receive no argument from me that pioneer is over priced, but if you are losing the stand alone, any controller paired with the numark dashboard will do the same thing. Plus they add a third middle screen and it's only $299. I'm just saying, don't advertise as stand alone if the software sucks.
DJ Jonasty 4:30 AM - 30 March, 2016
Plus the whole mirrored layout of that would drive me nuts.
robinho 6:15 AM - 30 March, 2016
I know that Engine 1.5 is not a good software yet, but in case your laptop crashes, you could survive the night with the MCX without bigger circumstances. And who tells us that Denon DJ ist not able to make the software better? Rekordbox was not as good as it is now when they released it.
The big clubs will stay with their pioneer setup, in most cases this is sponsored by pioneer anyway, but any other smaller clubs who could save a lot of money when they buy the MCX instead of a CDJ or XDJ Setup might think about that.
For me, i have choosen to give it a chance.
darkpsyde dnb 6:27 AM - 30 March, 2016
As a user of their software for almost three years, I can tell you from experience. If they didn't fix it from engine 1.2 to being their newest best engine 1.5 they bragged so much about in their marketing.. They could have at least fixed the basic complaints I mean.. No accurate bpm means looping, slicing, rolls and everything else doesn't work. If you think they'll fix it ask a 3900 owner.
robinho 6:37 AM - 30 March, 2016
yes i know what you mean, but in the meantime Denon was bought by the inMusics and now this is their first big release since that happened. And for me, I´ll play with serato and notebook anyway, so I just need engine and the MCX as standalone in case that something happens.
Shiloh Pharaoh 1:25 AM - 7 April, 2016
I really hope the mcx has no bugs
robinho 6:02 AM - 7 April, 2016
Yes me too, i pre-ordered it. As soon as i´m sure about its reliability, i will sell my Traktor S8 gear and finally after damn annoying 4 month, i will come back to serato.
I think for the moment the MCX will be a good alternative to the pioneer gear, especially if you dont have the money to buy that. but if pioneer goes on with their development of their products and of rekordbox, there will be no other way than spending the money to them.
Imagine they combine the best of the CDJ, DJM and DDJ-SZ to one standalone product. This would be a monster.
DJ HERE 11:39 AM - 13 April, 2016
I have MCX8000 and I am had Pioneer SX and Numark NV so here is the results I found
1 audio is much better than pioneer's
2 screens are same as NV better have more information
3 platters are PRO DJ quality
4 using SERATO there is no lag using MacBook 2008,MacBook pro 2014,ASUS SC400 I3 Windows 10
5 Easy to get use too this is a serious unit.
darkpsyde dnb 3:12 PM - 13 April, 2016
But the standalone doesn't work well, that's my only issue, if it's a standalone it's worth 1300, if it's just a serato controller with screens an mc600mk2 and numark dashboard, will save you 400, and be smaller and lighter. Plus it's also DVS ready,
DJ HERE 3:30 PM - 13 April, 2016
I have owned the 6000 as well and this is fly far much better I will try stand alone give my thoughts
DJ K-Ceaser 12:38 PM - 15 April, 2016
What's up here is a quick review that I did.
youtu.be
DJ HERE 1:58 PM - 15 April, 2016
That video shows Denon is serious.
Shiloh Pharaoh 1:59 PM - 15 April, 2016
Great video. A real down to Earth video. Funny dude. 👍👍👍
DJ K-Ceaser 2:06 PM - 15 April, 2016
Quote:
Great video. A real down to Earth video. Funny dude. 👍👍👍

Salute Bro! Much love.
DJ K-Ceaser 2:06 PM - 15 April, 2016
Quote:
That video shows Denon is serious.

Salute! Peace
darkpsyde dnb 2:51 PM - 15 April, 2016
But does the looping and bpm work?? That's what is the crux.. Yes it can play one song or two but if all of the other features, looping, slicer, etc, that are bpm dependent, and the bpm is wrong you still need the laptop. Is it really that hard for denon to make editable grids or a decent bpm detection? That's the $1399 question.
DJ HERE 3:01 PM - 17 April, 2016
well I am glad I have the Denon my hardrive went out on my mac and because of the back up
USB drive I had and the Screens no one knew there was a problem so if you want a great controller and a backup in one MCX8000 is the only option
jordankatz1 6:24 AM - 25 April, 2016
I just got one of these today to replace my DDJ-SX2 and Numark Dashboard. There is a HUGE difference in sound Volume and Quality. It's totally solid. New features are definitely cool. A few small things I would change but it's definitely an upgrade.
darkpsyde dnb 11:41 AM - 25 April, 2016
The new version of engine released over the weekend fixes a lot of issues. Still some to be sorted. And seriously you bought a dashboard that's been out a month or two and already replacing it? idk, I like mine, but I'm also using it with Serato timecode which makes a big difference in serato face.
jordankatz1 1:23 PM - 25 April, 2016
The screen started flickering the other day. So I figured if I could get $750 for my DDJ-SX2 and return the Numark it's not that big of a difference and it's definitely worth the upgrade
darkpsyde dnb 2:36 PM - 25 April, 2016
Yeah if I was on a regular controller I could see it, I'll wait till its under a grand or the mk2 comes out.
Gio Alex 2:43 PM - 25 April, 2016
With controllers, I doubt they'll become club standards in general, or at the very least, not for a very long time. Clumsy, unprofessional DJs spill drinks on a equiptment all the time, and it's way harder to replace/repair a controller, than a mixer/TT. IMO.
jordankatz1 3:53 PM - 25 April, 2016
I can't believe the sound on it. Wow. Leaves the Sx2 in the dust.
darkpsyde dnb 4:56 PM - 25 April, 2016
Yes, denon uses quality parts. My x1600 has been through hell and sounds way better than my pioneer djm900 that's been through the same.
jordankatz1 4:56 PM - 25 April, 2016
Good they are making a come back
darkpsyde dnb 4:59 PM - 25 April, 2016
Also good that they shut down the pricks running their dj site. They received a ton of complaints after the launch of the 8000, and the site has been off line since last week. :)
jordankatz1 5:00 PM - 25 April, 2016
What were the complaints
darkpsyde dnb 5:03 PM - 25 April, 2016
Basically it wasn't a denon owned forum so anytime anyone would complain or have an issue with products the moderators would make rude comments. Which lead to either being banned for calling them out over it or just leaving well enough alone. A lot of people who were going in to ask questions quickly decided it was better to fend for yourself on the internet rather than try to get a straight answer on their forum. I can't imagine that type of 'support' would look good for denon while trying to rebuild their brand with inmusic. Plus I'm sure their lawyer department grew exponentially with inmusic at the helm.
mattdub 2:19 PM - 8 July, 2016
Big clubs will not typically move away from a modular setup, however this is solid for home use, mobile or your own club gigs where they might not have gear. The way engine is set up, you can drag your rekordbox list into engine very easily. Makes it seamless to use this gear and duplicate a flash drive right quick when going into a club with in house pio gear or vice versa. Seeing how the rx is only two channel with no serato or dvs support, I see the price difference and feature benefits being worth that small inconvenience. Not to mention supporting the players who are choosing to push innovation, the best vote is always with your dollar. Hopefully this creates a war between the two for the best gear. IE, like Apple and Google. In that case, the consumer wins with better gear and lower prices.
darkpsyde dnb 10:04 PM - 8 July, 2016
One can only hope.
djbrulafu 11:20 AM - 9 July, 2016
I came across a slight issue with it.

Loaded up a long mix (just for background when Im cleaning the house), i loaded up another track on deck 2 and deck 1 cut out.

I've recorded what happened.

Anyone got any ideas. I'll post this to the guys at denon too.

youtu.be
DJ_Dad 3:21 PM - 9 July, 2016
It probably is an issue, but reveals itself with big tracks on slow use devices. I noticed that your navigation seemed a bit slower than mine when browsing tracks. Do you have another (faster) flash drive you can try?
DJ_Dad 3:23 PM - 9 July, 2016
Slow *usb* devices that is
djbrulafu 6:18 PM - 9 July, 2016
Quote:
It probably is an issue, but reveals itself with big tracks on slow use devices. I noticed that your navigation seemed a bit slower than mine when browsing tracks. Do you have another (faster) flash drive you can try?

Yeah, I've just checked the drive and its a 128gb usb 3.0 stick from sandisk. To be fair, there is about 117gb of music on there. That might have something to do with it. I wonder if using a usb 2.0 would make a difference.
Marko Riva 9:29 PM - 10 July, 2016
Hi everyone, i have a question to all mcx8000 users. How is the play/cue , pause buttons feel? Is it an accurate solid responsive click? ....or is it still mc6000mk2 rubbery feeling?
This will be really critical for me in my decision to buy it. I will appreciate your input on this one please,
Thanks everyone
DJ_Dad 9:57 PM - 10 July, 2016
Solid click. Very similar to the pioneer sx2.

The only negatives I found have been repeated by many others on this board. Cue lights too bright in the "off" mode for the 1 and 2 channels. Mirrored layout is less than ideal, but easy to get used to and I have found doesn't impact MY performance.

Super high quality feel to the whole thing and the mixer inputs and outputs and killer. Feels like a step up from the sx2, but not a huge jump.
Marko Riva 10:12 PM - 10 July, 2016
Thank you so much DJ Dad!! This is very reassuring, we haven't got any in-store demo units yet, i live in a small city,
Cheers
djbrulafu 11:27 PM - 10 July, 2016
Agree with everything Dj Dad says.

I quite like the mirrored layout, but thats just a small thing
khy 12:29 AM - 10 October, 2016
any updated experience? i tried to get connected in sam ash and serato could not load the driver. back at hotel installed latest version of serato, engine, and denon driver. different store, got connected but had repeated drops in serato. when it was finally stable, distortion on every output, master, booth, both headphone jacks. tracks played find in serato standalone. so on to of these multiple issues engine software crashes a lot. just looking for a lighter solution for mobile gigs than my turntables and road cases, so stand alone usb is appealing but the issues i experienced and have been reading about are not encouraging.

going back to first store to try different units.

any updates?
darkpsyde dnb 1:13 AM - 10 October, 2016
I'm having issues with deck two freezing up on the screen. Not sure why, serato continues to play but the screen just stops responding.. lame.
DJ_Dad 1:23 AM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm having issues with deck two freezing up on the screen. Not sure why, serato continues to play but the screen just stops responding.. lame.

What firmware are you running on your unit ?
sl1200 9:05 AM - 10 October, 2016
Manufactures should follow Pioneers lead and stop making mirrored decks on their high end controllers.

I have never seen professional stand alone Turntables or CDJ players that are mirrored.

This is one reason I will not even consider a Denon controller.
darkpsyde dnb 11:38 AM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Whatever the version is that came out a few months ago when they did the last engine update.
DJ_Dad 1:50 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Whatever the version is that came out a few months ago when they did the last engine update.

I think you need to update it. All my issues went away with the one just prior to the latest (1.4) which came out after the one you are running. It was a noticeable improvement for me.
darkpsyde dnb 1:55 PM - 10 October, 2016
Thanks, I just looked and was using 1.3. I will go update.
khy 12:58 AM - 14 October, 2016
It's a pity I couldn't find a working version in Miami, they must have got a bad batch, 3 different stores, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, all had the distortion issues, one the platter were out of sync, 3 crashed with serato, at least 2 just crashed by themselves, one wouldn't update the firmware at least one was up to date and still had all the issues. Only one had a clean signal and that was only with Engine on usb.

Happy for those who found working ones, pity I couldn't.
LSy 3:30 PM - 31 May, 2017
Quote:
Solid click. Very similar to the pioneer sx2.

The only negatives I found have been repeated by many others on this board. Cue lights too bright in the "off" mode for the 1 and 2 channels. Mirrored layout is less than ideal, but easy to get used to and I have found doesn't impact MY performance.

Super high quality feel to the whole thing and the mixer inputs and outputs and killer. Feels like a step up from the sx2, but not a huge jump.

what's the off mode?