Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video Crashing with Rane 62

DJRQ 11:09 PM - 17 March, 2016
Lately when video DJ’ing with Serato DJ 1.8.1 on the Rane 62 I’ve been having a major issue in which I loose DVS control of the decks. When this happens, the decks freeze (I see no scopes in setup) and audio stops, but SDJ isn’t entirely frozen. I can still load songs and I see the first frame of the video on my display. Can’t do much else though, as DVS never recovers, and it won’t let me put the decks into internal mode to play a audio.

I don’t recall this happening on my DDJ SX2, but I haven’t had the opportunity to test with any of my other controllers or mixers. Also still need to test with Scratch Live.

No corrupt files in my library. All mac optimization tips have been followed, and I've tried two different external video hard drives with fresh databases on the drives. Followed Serato tech advice and re did my plist files as well as deleting my Rane midi driver. Also tried the 1.9 demo and still have the issue.

Hoping someone out there has had a similar issue and was able to resolve it somehow!
popnwave 3:02 AM - 18 March, 2016
What OS are you running?
DJRQ 3:14 AM - 18 March, 2016
I'm running Yosemite, 10.10.5 to be exact.

Computer Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB
popnwave 5:33 PM - 18 March, 2016
Hmmmm you're not running El Cap, so there does the easy diagnosis.

If you turn off SV and just play the audio from videos, I know it sounds silly, but does it every hang in a similar way? Might help narrow it down. I don't think it's your videos, I think it's SV and the combo of DVS.

Since you don't have to use the DVS function when you're on a controller this seems like the next most likely culprit. You could always disable SV and grab the Mix Emergency demo, even though it's limited it might play nicer and that will point back to SV again as being the problem.
DJRQ 6:53 PM - 18 March, 2016
Good idea! I'll try just playing the audio from the video's and see if it still hangs.

Forgot to mention, I tired the Mix Emergency demo and got the same exact hang.
Ferbnation 7:39 PM - 19 March, 2016
Same issue for me. I went back to 1.7.1 (the last saved version on my computer). I have just installed 1.8.2 I will see if that has fixed the issue with the Rane Sixty-Two
DJRQ 7:23 PM - 3 April, 2016
Quick update,

Finally had time to test with my DJM 900srt and everything works flawlessly, so it looks like my problem is isolated to the Rane 62. Unfortunately it seems as though Serato support is out of trouble shooting suggestions.
DJ Tecniq 1:34 PM - 4 April, 2016
Have you tried SDJ 1.9 with the 62?
DJRQ 11:39 PM - 4 April, 2016
Quote:
Have you tried SDJ 1.9 with the 62?

Only a beta, I believe it was a release or two before the final. Same outcome.
DJMark 11:22 PM - 10 April, 2016
I use Scratch Live and Mix Emergency on 62 mixers.

It just works, and works, and works...then it works some more.

Every time I try an (at home, of course) SDJ test there's some weird issue or other. Can't imagine putting up with that crap in front of a live audience.
KJ. Juanito 10:36 PM - 15 April, 2016
Same issue here! I had updated all the hardware and firmware on both the mixer and Macbook and runs flawless when im NOT doing Video. However, the moment I connect the HDMI cable/video cable, again withe the crashes, drops and other issues.
DJRQ 8:50 PM - 5 May, 2016
Final update,

Moved my video library from my Segate Backup Plus Slim USB 3.0 drive, over to a FW800 G-Drive (with FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter) and video is now working well with the Rane 62.

Not sure if I was running into a usb throughput issue or what, but hope this helps anyone that runs into the same issue.
DJ Tecniq 9:58 PM - 5 May, 2016
Quote:
Final update,

Moved my video library from my Segate Backup Plus Slim USB 3.0 drive, over to a FW800 G-Drive (with FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter) and video is now working well with the Rane 62.

Not sure if I was running into a usb throughput issue or what, but hope this helps anyone that runs into the same issue.
Glad to hear but I think SDJ has a major issue with drives that are plugged in USB. I think it's always been that way. FireWire or thundeebolt is the way to go. Although I've had great luck storing and playing vids off USB sticks and memory cards👍🏻