Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SOUND QUALITY : How can I improve my SX2's sound quality?

DubRepvblik 11:03 PM - 12 March, 2016
Cheers folks,
I have faced discrimination for using SX2 controller rather than CDJS. I find myself more comfortable and creative on the SX2 for performances. One of the statements used against me is sound quality difference.

I would like to hear some simple tech-speak on how I can improve the quality of my SX2(usually run through a mixer/djm900nxs channel) with Serato DJ software/Windows 8 OS.

My laptop is a ASUS N550JV .

I read other forum posts that touched upon simpler controllers and SX, but nothing on SX2.

Thanks !
Johnny H 11:52 PM - 13 March, 2016
Sx 2 in my opinion has poor sound quality, never been happy with it, and I am considering changing it soon, I was use to using CDs 2000s and the ax 2 sounds nowhere near as good! And the sx2 is not s cheap controller in the pioneer range! Though CDj 2000s are much more expensive that said, think pioneer should have seriously improved the sound quality of the sx2
Dj MacMillz 12:16 AM - 14 March, 2016
Use an external mixing board.
pdidy 2:10 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Sx 2 in my opinion has poor sound quality, never been happy with it, and I am considering changing it soon, I was use to using CDs 2000s and the ax 2 sounds nowhere near as good! And the sx2 is not s cheap controller in the pioneer range! Though CDj 2000s are much more expensive that said, think pioneer should have seriously improved the sound quality of the sx2

ok this was funny to me, I did a google search of "PIONEER DDJ Sx2 poor sound quality"
and the few post that I could find coincidentally had you in all of them....lol

So considering the high sales of the sx line, if there were an issue one would think there would likely be hundreds of posts.... right ? Its clear that you are campaigning for the the issue but know one seems to be following......Just something to think about.

1. serato.com (this thread)
2. serato.com (Your thread 1)
3. serato.com (Your thread 2)
4. serato.com (unrelated to your issue thread)
5 . www.native-instruments.com (Your thread 3)
Johnny H 2:32 AM - 16 March, 2016
No it's really very simple....

I'm not happy with the sound quality of my SX2, nothing to do with any of your so called ideas lol.

It really does make me laugh with some posts, if your happy with the sound quality all well and good, but then you may be also using mp3s too!

If you had actually read all my above posts you would also know that some of the poor quaity was also down to previous versions of serato, which has now been rectified with later versions.

But that said compared to CDj 2000s dosent even come close!

Maybe the SZ will ? Will be trying to see,

My opion has nothing to do with you or your points in your post, I know I can achieve better sound quality.

And for the record this post was started by someone other than me lol
pdidy 2:56 AM - 16 March, 2016
Hey im just putting the info out there with a sprinkle of logic, don't shoot the messenger....lol
Mr. Goodkat 7:22 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
But that said compared to CDj 2000s dosent even come close!

why would it? the DAC's are much better in the cdjs
Johnny H 7:27 AM - 16 March, 2016
Well as I'm an electronic design enginger by trade working daily with fpgas Field programmable gate arrays..... A sprinkle of logic is right up my street.

Anyone who's educated and knows electronics will instantly understand why there is a lack of sound quality from the SX. It's all down to the DACs used in the SX.

Now compare them to the DACs used in RME products and they don't come close.

But what amazes me more is how few people even notice this lack of sound quality. The world is contaminated with crap sounding MP3 music and so called djs lol

Shame you don't understand either, go and listen to avRME
Johnny H 7:28 AM - 16 March, 2016
RME sound card and them put it out there as you say lol.....
Mr. Goodkat 9:23 AM - 16 March, 2016
how about just getting another unit or mixer that has the right sound quality?
Johnny H 10:05 AM - 16 March, 2016
That's what I plan to do, but the SZ is now been out along while and could be the last pioneer controller supported by serato ??

RZ is a newer option but means leaving serato and moving to record box, not really wanting to leave
Serato

If the controller had a spdif out I could use my own high quality dac

So not really sure what way to go regarding controller?
SG SOUNDS 10:48 AM - 16 March, 2016
He is right the ddj sx and sx2 do have poor sound...what you can do is use an external mixing board with it to boost the signal..i use a allen & heath zed mixer with mine..or you can trade for a ddj sz which have a better sound card or wait for the new denon controller thats coming out it boasts a high end sound card from what ive read..
pdidy 11:09 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
He is right the ddj sx and sx2 do have poor sound...what you can do is use an external mixing board with it to boost the signal.

What you are describing along with an external mixer as a fix is best defined as low output or headroom.

the op is alleging poor sound quality which cannot be fixed by boosting a signal. the op is alleging that the sound quality is subpar and unusable therefore a external mixer will only make louder subpar and unusable audio.

These are two different things entirely but quite often described the same way ig "poor sound".
SG SOUNDS 11:50 AM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
He is right the ddj sx and sx2 do have poor sound...what you can do is use an external mixing board with it to boost the signal.

What you are describing along with an external mixer as a fix is best defined as low output or headroom.

the op is alleging poor sound quality which cannot be fixed by boosting a signal. the op is alleging that the sound quality is subpar and unusable therefore a external mixer will only make louder subpar and unusable audio.

These are two different things entirely but quite often described the same way ig "poor sound".

yes you are correct in terms of low output and headroom..but to me my allan & heath mixer also enhance the sound of my ddj sx controller...ill leave the eq on the ddj sx flat and use the eq on the Allan & Heath mixer board and this method do actually enhance the sound quality of my ddj sx...

If i use my ddj sx by itself it just sound lame even if i turn up the eq knobs...its like the eq knobs does nothing...
Johnny H 1:01 PM - 16 March, 2016
If pioneer had added external spdiffs on there controllers we wouldn't need to be having this conversation as a good external dac would be the answer other than the low grade pioneer Sx dac.

They have an external spdiff on there djm900 why not on there controllers, how much more money would it have really cost? .... Not much at all !
Johnny H 1:04 PM - 16 March, 2016
Totally agree about the lame sound and eq that comes from the Sx

I also own an Allen and Heath cone 92 mixer, and the sound quality from that mixer blows away the sound of the Sx

It's clear there are people on this forum that post but don't have access to high end kit before commenting !
SG SOUNDS 1:05 PM - 16 March, 2016
imagine a controller with the same sound quality as a rane 62 or s9....the new denon controller claims to have awsome sound quality...have to wait and see
pdidy 1:08 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
ill leave the eq on the ddj sx flat and use the eq on the Allan & Heath mixer board and this method do actually enhance the sound quality of my ddj sx...

That would only work for the op if mixer boards had the ability too make 128 sound like 320.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:09 PM - 16 March, 2016
DDJ-SZ has Same sound quality as The DJM-2000Nexus according to Pioneer.
Mr. Goodkat 4:51 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
It's clear there are people on this forum that post but don't have access to high end kit before commenting !

i think we just wonder why you keep using it and complaining about it if you have an xone to work with. cant u just use that?

Quote:
I also own an Allen and Heath cone 92 mixer, and the sound quality from that mixer blows away the sound of the Sx
Johnny H 5:38 PM - 16 March, 2016
No! I'm trying to move from cd to digital and get away from CDs and thus cdj 2000s and xone 92 mixer

The reason I keep complaining is because for a pioneer high end controller i.e one model down from the top..., it sounds very poor, end off conversation.

It's not what I would class as a cheap controller / setup by the time you add a high end Apple Mac to the setup.

It should sound much better than it does, period.

Possibly I should have gone for the Sz from day one, but wasn't expecting to Sx to sound so poor.

If your lucky enough to be educated and have a good understanding of quality, then one can compare different products out there and posts ones findings. That's all I have done,

Still don't know what way to go at the moment, SZ, RZ, new djm900 with cdj2000s, who knows ??

But not with the sound of Sx2

But happy for all of you that are😊
Mr. Goodkat 5:41 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
No! I'm trying to move from cd to digital and get away from CDs and thus cdj 2000s and xone 92 mixer

is it just a size or money thing?

why cant you be digital with that gear. its technically better than the sx?

im trying to make sense of this?
Johnny H 6:02 PM - 16 March, 2016
Size is important, though SZ would be OK, sometimes I work in bars that are very cramped. Thus the main reason I'm trying to get away from 6 cases of CDs that I use to take out with me!

Last October I thought I would dip my toe in the digital DJ world and purchased the sx2 as it was a fairly new model and try it out, the rest you know.

Maybe my expectations were too great for the sx2

The one good thing that came out of the sx2 purchase was serato, this was the first time I had ever used it and now they have rectified the sound quality issues in serato it sounds very good and I find it ultra stable on the Mac book too.

Yes money can be an issue as I have to save up for items and truly hate buying something expensive and then not being happy with it and end up scrapping it.

I like to buy something once and then being happy.

I don't buy Rubbish equipment, and was very shocked with the sx2

I'm also trying to cut down setup time ie not having lots of leads etc, so like the idea of a controller. If only there was a real high end pro controller with digital out I could use my RME DACS and be done.

Also not sure what way pioneer and serato are heading in the future, it would seem denon are now where pioneer use to be with serato.

So if a DJ wants to stay with pioneer kit, do the have now and more so in the future jump ship and move over to record box ???

This is why I'm not sure where to go from here
Mr. Goodkat 6:56 PM - 16 March, 2016
ah i gotcha, makes sense. friend had the sx1 and i was never really impressed either.

mabye the sz is the way to go. maybe when the sz2 drops you could pick one up at a discount. the sz is big to me, it rather just use a mixer and cdjs or tts
Johnny H 7:31 PM - 16 March, 2016
Is there any news about the sz2, will there ever be a SZ2 as pioneer seem to be all about the RZ and RX

This is why I'm not sure what way to go, ?? I'm happy to wait for a SZ2 if it ever happens

😊
Johnny H 7:48 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:

the op is alleging poir sound quality which cannot be fixed by boosting a signal. the op is alleging that the sound quality is subpar and unusable therefore a external mixer will only make louder subpar and unusable audio

I'm not saying it's unusable !

Simply saying it doesn't meet my standards in sound quality ☹️
pdidy 9:12 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
the op is alleging poir sound quality which cannot be fixed by boosting a signal. the op is alleging that the sound quality is subpar and unusable therefore a external mixer will only make louder subpar and unusable audio

I'm not saying it's unusable !

Simply saying it doesn't meet my standards in sound quality ☹️

My comment was referring to you and your standards ONLY. You've alleged on every opportunity available that the the ddj sx2 does not meet your standards in sound quality. You've described the ddj sx2 as muddy, horrid ,poor sound quality , crap ect.....

Now if we are to believe all that is true (to you only) then "unusable" would be an accurate assessment for a professional dj with high sound quality standards such as you. Right ?
Johnny H 9:36 PM - 16 March, 2016
No not at all!!!

You seem to be very good at speaking for others lol yet you can't even tell the difference between good quality audio 🙄

If your not able or educated enough to compare and hear the difference between high quality audio and non high quality audio....

Then either you don't own anything good enough to make the comparison,

Your ears are totally shot, get a hearing aid!

Or your music collection is such a crappy quality that you can't tell the difference.

Whatever it is, stay in your little world bigging up the SX2, it's clear there are a few pro people out there with different views to you lol
Johnny H 9:39 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:

Now if we are to believe all that is true (to you only) then "unusable" would be an accurate assessment for a professional dj with high sound quality standards such as you. Right ?

Me only???

Obviously you read other posts either lol
Johnny H 9:41 PM - 16 March, 2016
Obviously you DONT read other posts either lol
pdidy 10:21 PM - 16 March, 2016
Calm down and focus Johnny H, this is not about me or other users opinions of the ddj sx2 sound quality...... Just so there was no misinterpretation I clearly stated...

Quote:
My comment was referring to you and your standards ONLY.

Quote:
Now if we are to believe all that is true (to you only)

Notice the use of the word "ONLY"

So now that we are clear that Im only addressing YOU and know one else lets move forward :)

Quote:
You've alleged on every opportunity available that the the ddj sx2 does not meet your standards in sound quality. You've described the ddj sx2 as muddy, horrid ,poor sound quality , crap ect.....

Care to respond Sir ?
Johnny H 10:54 PM - 16 March, 2016
Not really!

Said all I need to say about the sx2 and it's not me only! Try reading this post in greater detail! As this post was started by another unhappy Sx2 customer who was receiving negative comments about the sound quality.

And as non proud owner of the sx2 I'm totally entitled to voice my opinion and my findings.
Johnny H 11:03 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
Cheers folks,
I have faced discrimination for using SX2 controller rather than CDJS. I find myself more comfortable and creative on the SX2 for performances. One of the statements used against me is sound quality difference.

See Not ONLY Me lol
pdidy 11:08 PM - 16 March, 2016
So now you dont want to talk about the sx2 ? i ask you one direct question and you immediately shut down and deflect.
Quote:
Not really!

Said all I need to say about the sx2

I suspect you have a lot more to say provide you don't have to answer specific questions :)
pdidy 11:13 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
See Not ONLY Me

And why do you constantly repeat things we all already know that are not being challenge or debated ?

Are you a Bot ? lol
Johnny H 11:16 PM - 16 March, 2016
what do you want to know about the sx2 ?

pose your question ?

oh....

Quote:

Care to respond Sir ?

You assumption is Very Very Wrong,

I have Never Ever Stated is was unusable, being a very educated person in electronics, I know just because the sound quality is nowhere near acceptable to me, does not make it unusable.

not sure how you could ever come to this assumption ??

So do we agree there is at least TWO people that is not over happy with the SX2 sound quality, not ONLY me.

But DubRepvblik as well !

I notice you own the SX, I'm pleased your happy with your SX.
Johnny H 11:18 PM - 16 March, 2016
no bots here lol, you haven't really come up with any positive points about the sx2 ? lol
popnwave 11:18 PM - 16 March, 2016
I swear some of you guys are the DJ equivalent of Bridezillas. Seriously if you're playing in a tiny ass bar no one cares how your Rane/Pioneer/Denon/Numark stuff sounds compared to some huge venue or your elegant studios. As long as you aren't playing low bitrate mp3s or using some wierd ass knockoff eq like American DJ decks, who cares?

You're going to have to make concessions based on cost and/or logistics of your gigs.

Personally as much as I LOVE my TTs and mixer at home, screw that noise at gigs anymore if I have to lug it around. If the venue doesn't have something set up for me, it's DDJ-SX time. Less wear and tear on me and usually the venue's soundsystem is in way worse shape and no one is going to notice what you do in this situation.

Now I know why when I read about people like Elon Musk kicking bitchy Tesla customers to the curb I crack a smile.
pdidy 11:46 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
not ONLY me.

But DubRepvblik as well !

Nope not so fast, its to soon to count his vote because there are too many unknowns and he is no long participating to verify them.
Are these people discriminating against him simply because they are biased against ALL controllers ? Unknown.

What is DubRepvblik's libaray file quality ? Unknown

What sound system is DubRepvblik djing on and is the ENTIRE signal chain and speaker system accurate enough to establish a clear and noticeable difference. Unknown
Johnny H 11:59 PM - 16 March, 2016
Have you compared the sound quality of your Sx to let's say a CDJ 2000 or a German made RME sound card (best sound card I have ever heard)?

Using the same loss less WAV file,

Then you would hear the difference, or maybe you wouldn't ? I can tell the difference.

I only use high quality WAV file ripped from cd albums

A/B testing with different hardware and keeping all variables to a minimum is the only positive way to test and compare.

It's really not that difficult ...
pdidy 12:01 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
you haven't really come up with any positive points about the sx2 ?

Right, I own a DDJ-SX2 and Ive never argued my opinion positive/negative in this thread....lol
DJ Unique 12:02 AM - 17 March, 2016
Compared to my Rane 62, my SX2 does sound inferior though it is acceptable for mobile use. The mids are lacking and highs are a bit harsh on the SX2, which is similar other older Pioneer mixers I've worked with.
Johnny H 12:23 AM - 17 March, 2016
Totally agree....
pdidy 12:39 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
A/B testing with different hardware and keeping all variables to a minimum is the only positive way to test and compare.

Wrong, no qualified or professionally trained sound engineer worth their salt would ever say that too one of his peers. It would be an immediate red flag to ignore anything else that may fall out of your mouth.

A true professional would only accept your Smaart/spectre measurements are proof and scoff at your ancient ear test as you boastfully qualify your answer with your job resume as an electronic design engineer by trade working daily with fpgas Field programmable gate arrays......lol

Wow, you must be a hit at the sound guy parties :) www.bville.org
pdidy 12:49 AM - 17 March, 2016
BTW Johnny H , what dj gear do you currently own ? (Turntables, CDJ, controllers mixers/boards, speakers, processing)
Johnny H 12:56 AM - 17 March, 2016
Lol

Wrong yet again lol

My ears tell me everything I need to know,

A/B testing is exactly the way I like go, so you do it your way and I'll do it mine lol

Acted pro ASIC, do your home work lol.
pdidy 1:06 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
My ears tell me everything I need to know,

That's cool and all but you do realize that's not an accepted truth in the pro sound/audio world. right ?
pdidy 1:13 AM - 17 March, 2016
Lets not even address the FACT that it humanly impossible unless you just happen to be a super hero.....lol
pdidy 1:17 AM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:
Acted pro ASIC

Correction, its Actel proASIC smh.
pdidy 1:22 AM - 17 March, 2016
Ok this is my last question for tonight, you Sir have been very entertaining :)

Quote:
BTW Johnny H , what dj gear do you currently own ? (Turntables, CDJ, controllers mixers/boards, speakers, processing)
Johnny H 1:25 AM - 17 March, 2016
I phone prodictive text works well sometimes, not so well with big fingers lol

A3P250 nice IC does some clever things with the right VHDL and smart draw software
Johnny H 1:28 AM - 17 March, 2016
Likewise very very entertaining and thank you

Kit = Sx2

That's it
DubRepvblik 7:32 PM - 7 November, 2016
Hey guys ! WOAHH long discussion :) Sorry I have been preoccupied IRL and forgot to check in here.

I normally use 320 ( some wav, mostly mp3 ) songs . SOMETIMES.. rarely..if there's something HOT that I want and can't find, I will rip it with an HQ ripper ( no youtube2mp3.com haha ) and try to get an HQ rip. If it sounds like crap on my studio monitors, it's a no no.
My library is mostly 320 MP3 .

I play in clubs using VOID Acoustic system usually .
Otherwise, I play on JBL speakers. SOMETIMES I play on large venue ( 600+, 1000+ people ) that has own sound + additional bass.. Yeah, sometimes these venues have shitty sound system ! And promoters just buy subs to rattle the house..

Anyhow.. I can confirm, my mids and highs sometimes sound crappy on SX2. Bass sounds OK.
I generally use a short RCA wire to connect to DJM900nxs or PIONEER XDJ RX ( for smaller gigs ).

I am considering selling my SX2 and upgrading to say SZ or SZ2. I may drop it altogether and go for XDJ RX since it is more CDJ like .

A random thing that happened at my last gig : halfway during my set,my sound dropped !The room was bumping, it was my bday, and this bihh DROPPED . My controller , Serato, everything still on and not glitching, just no more sound output from me . I wonder why ...

hmm

thanks for the opinions tho!
pdidy 8:05 PM - 7 November, 2016
Lil late to your own party lol
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:27 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
Lil late to your own party lol

Lol

I'm looking to upgrade the SX to another controller too. I'm not sure about all the sound quality malarkey hear. Still rocking the bar with it every weekend with Videos and Music from Pools.

Just caught in no man's land of Pioneer not releasing another Serato controller and the new Denon 8000.
DJ Tecniq 8:52 AM - 8 November, 2016
I'll keep this simple. I've noticed a "huge" difference with PC sound quality vs Mac. Mac's I think just have better sound cards. So maybe you should test the controller on a Mac you may be surprised.
mixgoonie 9:30 AM - 8 November, 2016
That sounds the most strange info i ever have received. Maybe the drivers are better on Mac vs PC.

Are we also speaking of the same version ? Because SDJ 193 provide a better sound quality.
DJ Tecniq 9:39 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
That sounds the most strange info i ever have received. Maybe the drivers are better on Mac vs PC.

Are we also speaking of the same version ? Because SDJ 193 provide a better sound quality.
It could have something to do with the Windows OS as well. Not sure how much the sound cards have really improved. I have tested a Pioneer DDJSR on a Windows machine vs a Mac and the Mac seemed to just sound better with a more clean sound.
mixgoonie 10:05 AM - 8 November, 2016
Since i have both (Mac vs PC) and a crappy sound on my low budget controller, i will try to free time to compare ;) Just curious ;)
DJ Tecniq 7:36 PM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
Since i have both (Mac vs PC) and a crappy sound on my low budget controller, i will try to free time to compare ;) Just curious ;)
Good idea. Maybe Windows 9 or 10 sounds better. I would also try updating any audio card drivers if the PC needs it that may help as well.
mixgoonie 11:35 PM - 10 November, 2016
Tested about one hour mix on my mbp and it seems that the sound quality is slightly better on macos.

I will record externally same song same controller and same external soundcard and see i feel a difference.
DJ Tecniq 4:57 PM - 11 November, 2016
Quote:
Tested about one hour mix on my mbp and it seems that the sound quality is slightly better on macos.

I will record externally same song same controller and same external soundcard and see i feel a difference.
Told ya. I wouldn't steer you wrong and I'm sure it all depends on diff PC machines. The more expensive the better the audio card will be.
mixgoonie 5:49 PM - 11 November, 2016
My feeling is that it is related to Macos more than the hardware.

Asio and core audio probably sound different.

Since I have a pc with Iaktos I will be able to confirm you that.
DJ Tecniq 8:03 PM - 11 November, 2016
Quote:
My feeling is that it is related to Macos more than the hardware.

Asio and core audio probably sound different.

Since I have a pc with Iaktos I will be able to confirm you that.
That would be great Asio core audio I think is really high quality I can see how Windows can differ from this.
SG SOUNDS 12:05 AM - 13 November, 2016
for those looking for a controller with a awesome soundcard take a look at the Roland Dj 808...it has the best sounding soundcard of any controller to date...i sold my ddj sx for the Roland because of the shitty soundcard in the ddj sx controller..The Roland controller sound just as good or even better than my rane 62 mixer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:38 AM - 13 November, 2016
The Denon MCX8000 sounds great too. Played out with it for the very first time tonight. The lows were thumping and none of that shrilly highs of the SX.
SG SOUNDS 3:01 AM - 13 November, 2016
Quote:
The Denon MCX8000 sounds great too. Played out with it for the very first time tonight. The lows were thumping and none of that shrilly highs of the SX.

Yes it does but it still second to the Roland in the soundcard category...The Denon do sound better than all the pioneer controllers even the sz
DjSyndic8 4:22 AM - 13 November, 2016
bad mp3 quality could contribute to bad sound quality

but I'm happy with DDJSX2 I dont have the SZ to compare it to also I think some versions of serato has better sound quality then others
mixgoonie 9:02 AM - 13 November, 2016
To all the people who have a high soundcard, it Could be interesting to compare the sound of Windows compare to Macos
Mr. Goodkat 8:38 PM - 13 November, 2016
after getting back to rane, its amazing how bad pioneer 900 sounds with SDJ(havent heard the Djm 2000 nexus, heard its better). if you can use a different mixer on a large system, its pretty easy to hear.
mixgoonie 8:53 PM - 13 November, 2016
What about Rane vs Denon MCX800 ?
mixgoonie 10:44 AM - 2 December, 2016
Up ? Has someone been able to compare MCX800 or 700 with Rane mixers ?
dj Krazey leo 10:53 AM - 6 December, 2016
The MCX8000 has excellent Sound card it shines especially when using powered speakers it sounds great but I also had the Rane 57mkii I sold it and regret it but that's a next story the Rane in my opinion sounds better if you're using it on a club sound system and you want that warm clean punchy quality that's gonna maintain for 6 hours through out the night that's where the Rane will shine, At high volumes most controllers seems to get out of hand but but if you stay below the clip light on the Rane mixers you can really crank that master volume up especially if you have good quality mp3 but overall they are both excellent just use wisely and they both will shine
catelli 11:14 PM - 7 June, 2017
SX sound quality is not "terrible" but it is not club level. Don't get me wrong...I liked my DDJ-SX a lot but its hardware is quite 'entry-level'. The sound card is a simple two stereo channels (master/cue) so all mixing/effects are done internally, software level in serato/traktor. The power source is a simple "wall" 5v PSU so its hard to expect great sound quality and "punch" from a system like that. I moved to a DJM850 + 2 Kontrols X1 and it sounds so much better. The DJM sound card is 4in x 4out stereo channels so all mixing is done on the mixer hardware, not in software. A "Real" mixer like a DJM have a much better quality power source and master preamps so obviously it will sound much better. The DDJ SX DAC may well be high quality, but the sound get crapped by a poor PSU and lower quality master preamps.
Hanginon 11:32 PM - 8 June, 2017
Interesting...unfortunately, mobile DJ's following this thread who have the typical 15" two-way loudspeaker, really don't know what good mid-range sounds like. There are exceptions, like RCF ART 745-A's that have huge compression drivers (so they can be crossed over to the woofer at a low frequency), but most are poor.

Again, for mobile DJ's, the microphone preamp(s) in a lot of controllers is almost an after thought, so get a small mixer with good ones (A&H, Yamaha, plus others), and also feed the output of your controller to it. Since we now have additional gain in the signal path, keep the gain settings in your (5 volts powered) controller real low. Make up the gain in your extra mixer (that runs on a higher voltage).

I run Serato DJ with an Auto Gain setting of 89db, the controller runs "in the green" (barely hitting yellow), and then make it all back up in my small mixer. It sounds excellent.
catelli 1:27 PM - 9 June, 2017
I agree with Hanginon, on my old SX it was easy to hear the degradation of sound quality on higher gains. I always play at 0db on any mixer, but on many controlers it is absolutely crucial. The DDJ-SX as 10-segment VU meters (on channels - but no db markings) so I always played to the 5th led max. I play only flac/wav files and practice with a pair of KRK Rokit 8" monitors. at the 7th or 8th led (2 to red) the audio became somewhat 'dirty'. Adding a better mixer in the signal path would add some "colour" to the final signal and a higher gain without distorsion/degradation, but if you're hitting higher gains and distorting the sound on your controler, even the best of the mixers would only amplify a bad signal .
Vinyl R 9:33 PM - 12 June, 2017
Really interesting thread so would just like to add I own a Pioneer SX2 and paired it up with a Macbook Pro which outputs to a pair of RCF 315a's and was really concerned with the sound quality so added a small sub which gave me a more rounded sound. I then added a Allen & Heath Xone 23 mixer and found that if I kept the gains down on the SX2 and worked the EQ's on the Xone 23 things sounded more acceptable.

I have to say though personally I love the SX2 its a great controller that I also use in DVS but if I could make a change it would be the sound quality. Guess that comes with the price tag ;)
Hanginon 10:26 PM - 12 June, 2017
New DJ (like almost all new DJ's) buys 15" two-way speakers thinking he won't need a sub.

Finds out bass isn't good enough, adds sub(s).

Finds out 12" (or even better, 10") two-way tops (with the subs) produce superior sound, especially the all important mid-range. Plus, lower weight.

Gets the smaller tops.

Puts 15" tops on Craigslist, where there is already a million of them.

I make no bones about it - with only a few exceptions (like the expensive ART 745'A's I referenced above), I don't like 15" two-ways. Many manufacturer's used to offer 15" three ways that sounded good (with a dedicated mid-range driver), but were big and heavy. Still, there has to be a way of breaking this "right-of-passage" cycle for DJ's.
Johnny H 11:55 AM - 13 June, 2017
Just amazed with sx2 pioneer use such a low quality sound card / chip set for the audio.

Other than that it is not a bad controller,

Considering Pioneer have been industry standard since the demise of vinyl, how can Denon controllers have a better quality sound to their controller,

Pioneer should really stop cutting corners and sort out there poor sound sound cards even if they increase the price of their controllers.

Though the sx2 is not a cheap controller.
mixgoonie 1:17 PM - 13 June, 2017
It shows how many DJ's don't use their ears and are buying Pioneer controllers...

At least it will maybe give a chance to Denon to take more market share...
Johnny H 2:43 PM - 13 June, 2017
Denon deserve more of the market share, it's rather embasising that pioneer are even manufacturing such low grade audio chipset / sound cards. Pinoneer in the past have always been know as high end audio and top notch DJ products albit the build quality is somewhat plasticaly.

With my cdj 1000s mk 1/2/3 cdj 2000s I never once faulted the audio quality from pioneer. Thus why I thought it would be a safe bet moving over to the pioneer sx2 controller.

I have never once liked the sound quality from this controller and never will do, as seriously thinking of leaving pioneer kit for something better.

The sx2 to me sounds like a cheap quality sounding controller.

I use to think the pioneer logo meant good quality, since buying the sx2 I think the pioneer logo means cheap and nasty sound quality
The Lazy One 6:21 PM - 14 June, 2017
Quote:
Denon deserve more of the market share, it's rather embasising that pioneer are even manufacturing such low grade audio chipset / sound cards. Pinoneer in the past have always been know as high end audio and top notch DJ products albit the build quality is somewhat plasticaly.

With my cdj 1000s mk 1/2/3 cdj 2000s I never once faulted the audio quality from pioneer. Thus why I thought it would be a safe bet moving over to the pioneer sx2 controller.

I have never once liked the sound quality from this controller and never will do, as seriously thinking of leaving pioneer kit for something better.

I use to think the pioneer logo meant good quality, since buying the sx2 I think the pioneer logo means cheap and nasty sound quality

Quote:

Quote:

anyone knows if MC7000 and MCX8000 has the same soundcard?
dj_soo 3:43 AM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
Pinoneer in the past have always been know as high end audio and top notch DJ products albit the build quality is somewhat plasticaly.

Have they? I've disliked the sound of most pioneer dj gear since I started playing back around the time the DJM 600 dropped. Just never liked the sound quality or the eqs or their faders and pots.

The first pioneer mixer I've heard that sounds good to me is the S9 (haven't heard the nxs2 yet).

There was always a harshness and overly-bright sound to pioneer gear I've used and heard.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:12 AM - 15 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

anyone knows if MC7000 and MCX8000 has the same soundcard?

The 8000 sounds very good. Not sure if it's the same as the 7000. Despite the initial issues I had with it I kept using it. The issues are sorted now by a little tweaking in the utility of the controller. It's my favourite controller now for Serato DJ. Engine is another story altogether. Buggy software making standalone use very dodgy.
dj Krazey leo 12:04 PM - 15 June, 2017
The mcx 8000 sounds warmer and has some what of a better tone than the mc 7000 . In my oppinion the 7000 sounds a bit like the 6000
Vinyl R 9:17 AM - 18 June, 2017
Actually I've been following this thread for some time now and it raises some good points especially if you own a SX2.

I am thinking about how much time and £££'s I've invested in getting my set up right and maybe now i wish i had invested that time in the music itself.

But once again this weekend I've spent hours researching a viable alternative to my current SX2 and so far the best I've come up with if i wish to stay with SERATO is switch to DENON or Move over to TRAKTOR (which my son uses) the sound that comes out of his Z2 blows away my SX2.

My son also tells me that Serato is the choice of many Mobile and home Dj's like myself but Traktor is the choice of club dj's.

As a student who is a DJ and die hard clubber and me as fifty year old Geezer my clubbing days a rare treat so I bow to his knowledge.

So to Conclude Serato lets have Dj controller with less of want we don't need and more of what we want..... Decent Sound Quality, Reliability, and a few bells and whistle, Take a leaf out of the old school book. ;)
Mr. Goodkat 7:02 PM - 18 June, 2017
dont listen to your kid, listen to a professional dj.
Andrei Matei 5:28 AM - 26 June, 2017
Tested this stuff at length.

DDJ-SR: Unacceptable, crappy sound
DDJ-SX2: Marginal/Passable sound if run conservatively and through an external mixer like Zed10.
DDJ-SZ: Good sound
DJM900NXS: Good sound
Xone:92: Great sound

If you play on small systems with people who don't care and you don't care, the SX2 is workable. If you play on big systems that have very high-quality sound ala Void, etc. everything that is Serato-based will sound significantly worse than just straight CDJs.
Johnny H 6:16 AM - 26 June, 2017
Agree 100%

Spot on with your family findings,
R-A-C 2:45 AM - 28 June, 2017
Quote:
There was always a harshness and overly-bright sound to pioneer gear I've used and heard.

which is why they "enjoy" a tin-can reputation. basically seriously overpriced junk but hey, they gotta get the bucks back for all their PR ;-)