Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Is Serato DJ as stable and reliable as Scratch Live?

Chino 2:28 PM - 9 March, 2016
We all know Scratch Live is no longer supported. Serato has since developed the Serato DJ software platform. Initially, Serato DJ was developed for controllers but now includes DVS and video support. It also includes a host of new features that were not present in Scratch Live. Have all these new features helped or hurt the overall software stability? How trustworthy is SDJ in live use as compared to Scratch Live? I want to hear about the experiences of other djs. Serato needs to know.
DJ Tecniq 4:13 PM - 9 March, 2016
They merged Scratchlive with Itch to create Serato DJ...What does that tell you. Itch has been discontinued about as long as Scratchlive so why they merged the two I have no idea🤔 However yes there are cool new features that SDJ has. But the overall stability of Scratchlive just leaves SDJ in the dust. The waveforms aren't as smooth, the fx sometimes don't work correctly ex: echo-out, auto gain is too sensitive, Master output level doesn't change overall track gain like Scratchlive could. It's like the didn't take any features that SSL carried over to SDJ. So I still use Scratchlive lol💯👌🏻 if it's not broke don't fix it✋🏻
DJ Special K 5:30 PM - 9 March, 2016
The new Bells and whistles are nice but stability has been an issue for me. For one, I had to upgrade from an 2009 macbook pro to a 2014 I7 because I had to slide my buffer from 0 to 20 ms on the older mac with SDJ. I didn't have to do that with SSL. In addition, it lags, hangs or crashes when inserting USB memory sticks, I'm afraid to drag and drop files on the fly while performing because it could freeze and necessary to restart SDJ. I've never owned a controller and its almost as if they are forcing me into that direction. I either use turntables or CDJ's. Scratchlive was perfect for that. I have an SL3 box.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:06 PM - 9 March, 2016
I feel like I'm walking on eggshells every time I play on serato DJ
DJ Tecniq 6:44 PM - 9 March, 2016
I totally agree they should of kept Scratchlive as DVS (turntables/cdj's) and kept Serato DJ(Controllers only) it would seperate the men from the boys😉 When I first tried SDJ I remember all the problems it had with DVS and it was an absolute nightmare it never made me ever want to make the switch.
popnwave 11:34 PM - 9 March, 2016
Never had an issue with SDJ 1.6-1.8.2 with my MacBook Pro Mid-2012. Initially it was just with a DDJ-SX I bought to play around with it. Once the SL3s were added as support devices I used it with my CDJs and DVJs and timecode with no problems playing music videos.

I will say, I am not a scratch dj nor am I getting crazy with samples or effects and my machine has never had a hiccup. I've never bought anything but mixers, controllers that have been out a good 8-12 months already for use in my live gigs.

But honestly if SSL fits your needs ride it til it dies. Unless some mixer or controller drops that has some ability (Flip isn't a ground breaker but it's cool) there's just no reason to upgrade unless you are forced.
DJ Baby Boy 3:30 AM - 10 March, 2016
Serato DJ has been rock solid for me and I have no complaints at all using a mid 2012 15" MBP

I do spin video (90% 720p & 1080p) with MixEmergency & Resolume Arena

I also use a range of different hardware including SX/2, SZ, Rane 62, Techs, CDJ 2000's (HID), DJM-S9, Reloop Neons, & and iPad for midi control over ME & Arena

I am a (video) turntablist and utilize the sample player a lot as well as video effects and also do clubs weddings and radio and trust it 100% in every gig I do

Quote:
But honestly if SSL fits your needs ride it till it dies. Unless some mixer or controller drops that has some ability (Flip isn't a ground breaker but it's cool) there's just no reason to upgrade unless you are forced.

This is really good advice as well ... Don't feel like you need to use SDJ until you are ready to do so and also when you do make sure that you get a machine that is capable of handling it ... At this point I would say do not go any older than a maxed out 2012 MBP
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:33 AM - 10 March, 2016
I always use SSL... I only use SDJ at 1 venue where I spin video and they have a 900SRT installed.
Entro 10:13 PM - 10 March, 2016
Been using SDJ for 2+ years and I have never, not once, had a crash. It's been fairly rock-solid for me.

That said: The waveforms have been choppy since 1.8 and I have on rare occasions had momentary audio dropouts.

I also wish the updates would come as quickly as Pioneer seems to be churning them out for Rekordbox DJ. :)
ParisCreative 4:07 PM - 11 March, 2016
SDJ certainly has it's growing pains, and it's a much "heaver application" versus SSL. I did use SDJ all last year DJing my weddings and only had a couple minor issues. Right now I really don't use much of the added features of SDJ and I am seriously thinking of reverting back to SSL for this wedding season. Just an additional piece of mind.
Psythik 1:08 AM - 12 March, 2016
Been using SDJ for about a year now and I've had three crashes, thankfully two of them happened before I even played my first tune. That's stable enough for me.
SG SOUNDS 1:45 PM - 12 March, 2016
I use a 2009 macbook pro i mainly use ssl but started using sdj more this year...my 2009 macbook pro runs sdj flawlessly with my rane 62 or my ddj sx...its a mystery to me why my 2009 macbook pro can run sdj flawlessly and others have so much problems running sdj on older macs..

2 things that i upgraded on my mac was the ram i have 8 total now and i upgraded to a 1tb hd..buffer setting is set at 5 if i go any lower the drop out starts...
ParisCreative 1:57 PM - 12 March, 2016
SDJ is just inherently more complex combining controllers and DVS. As they try to add more features, it ads to complexity. Add to that the issues with how OS-X and USB has been causing serious issues post Mt. Lion and it's a recipe for issues.

Now it does seem that Yosemite is OK in general for SSL and SDJ (which I am running). But still SDJ will continue through growing pains as long as there are OS upgrades and feature enhancements to contend with.
deejdave 3:59 PM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
2 things that i upgraded on my mac was the ram i have 8 total now and i upgraded to a 1tb hd..buffer setting is set at 5 if i go any lower the drop out starts

This is it right here. I prefer to be at 1ms but will settle for 2ms. Also do you use Pitch n Time, DVS, Serato Video etc?
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:51 PM - 12 March, 2016
Ya older Macs upgrade the RAM to the Max then slam a ProSSD Then clean fresh install of OSX (Older supported one the better as you Mac is old after all) Then follow the Serato OSX Optimisation. Install SDJ and should run well. i would probably even stick 1.7.8 or below due to the new GUI tech in 1.8.0+

BUT Back to this question

Is Serato DJ as stable and reliable as Scratch Live? i think to think it is and even better at some things like library size. But the biggest downside you hear the most and witness has to be USB Dropouts.
SG SOUNDS 6:55 PM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
use

yes when i use sdj pitch n time is always on...i dont do video....i can get away with the buffer settings on 2 but you can see the cpu light going in the red from time to time so i leave it at 5 and have no problems thus far...

As for the sound quality the one thing i use to bitch about ysing sdj sounds excellent with the latest version of sdj on my rane 62...not so good when using my ddj sx
Philmixit 7:36 PM - 12 March, 2016
For me Serato DJ is the BEST!!!!!