DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJs not having any problems with SDJ

Mr. Goodkat 6:06 PM - 28 February, 2016
Obviously there are ongoing complaints that never stop about Serato products, however some people, like myself rarely have problems and have never had major problems.

Personally, i think it worries some people, and keeps them from from trying certain Serato software. I know i would be concerned if i read this board and its complaints.

I even had a meltdown after accidentally installing El Capitan after reading the horror stories from this board(and i know most were before el capitan was supported in 1.81). After a short amount of trouble shooting, everything works fine, ive played 2 gigs, practiced, etc and my computer runs no different. Its not slower, faster, sdj works exactly the same, rock solid.

So i thought, who is having zero problems on SDJ? am i the only one? surely there is one or 2 other DJS that wonder, 'what all the fuss is about with this or that' or 'why is the sky falling for some of you and im just djing with zero problems'?

I dont like auto gain in SDJ, but i just turned that off and really never really got into auto gain, even in ssl. Midi mapping was pretty shite until 1.74, but that has been fixed as well.

Even with those problems, it never hindered using DVS and it never stopped me from just getting on 2 decks and playing tunes in any form or fashion.

so who doesn't have problems? no need for comments just a +1.

who knows maybe i am the only dj alive with no serato problems. in such case i can sell my machine for millions.
djvtyme85 9:23 PM - 28 February, 2016
after the library issue was fixed and i added more RAM on my computer SERATO DJ has been as solid as SL is. SDJ is slightly slower booting up but that not a big deal.
DJ Fluke 613 1:59 AM - 29 February, 2016
I have no issues, mbpro 2012, Yosemite ns72.
DJ Quartz 3:07 AM - 29 February, 2016
Macbook Pro (Late 2011), Maverick 10.9.5, 8GB Ram, ATI 6750M (512mb)

Used Serato DJ with SL4, Rane 68, Rane 62 and NS7FX

I have been using Serato DJ for 2+ years now since it received DVS support.

I stopped using Scratch Live at that point as well.

I use it in combination with Mix Emergency 3.02 as well.

I used it daily to practice, record mixes, and live use.

It works!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:36 AM - 29 February, 2016
Macbook pro 2011 and 2012 usin using a set of pioneer CDJ 850`s and a Pioneer DJM 850 with no problems.

Can say Ive been pretty much problem free since SDJ came out, dont think ill ever go back to SSL.....
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:54 AM - 29 February, 2016
I'm new to the SDJ party coming from Scratchlive with a SL3. I'm on a Windows PC I5, record with Audacity, have my wifi on, stream an encoder and have no issues at all.
dj_soo 11:55 AM - 29 February, 2016
I wouldn't say zero problems, but I haven't had too many major issues in a while.

2012 quad core MBP running mountain lion.

Rane 62 timecode w/ techs and VCI-380

I have seen a serious issue with my SL3 where sound would drop out on one side after fast scratching requiring a restart of the software tho which is disconcerting. I believe the same issue has been reported on the AMX
Dj Rehab 1:58 PM - 29 February, 2016
I had issues with the Rane 62 and SDJ. But I haven't had a single problem with it using the S9.
Logisticalstyles 1:58 PM - 29 February, 2016
No problems here. I use SDJ with the AMX and the DDJ-SB2.

2013 Macbook Pro i7 with 8GB RAM. When I use my turntables I revert back to Scrath Live because I'm still using my original SL1.
DJ Matty Stiles 2:00 PM - 29 February, 2016
Why no auto gain? It's non destructive. Unless you're concerned about its accuracy? (Which would do the job better than humans 9 out of 10 times). For me it just speeds up the process so much more instead of having to monitor and adjust and fiddle with the gain nobs I can just "power mix. I love it
DJ Matty Stiles 2:16 PM - 29 February, 2016
Same as soo. No major issues. The only issue I had is, 1% of the time SDJ will recognise my 62 or SL3 but won't receive timecode signal. The first time it happened to me was at a gig and I had absolutely no idea what was happening - Because I was so used to Scratch Live working flawlessly I spent 20 mins of my set fiddling around with RCAs and the back of the mixer. I ended up playing off a few emergency MP3 CDs. Cleared the floor playing a long emergency pre-mix while troubleshooting. Had no idea it was a software issue until I managed to duplicate it at home. Pissed me off so much.

That said, I do enjoy flip, PnT and the DDJ-SP1. I have started to EXPERIMENT with sync because I like to test out every new feature (learnt to beatmarch without a computer 11 years ago) and it looks to open up some new creative possibilities

Another issue, I use SDJ as my library (not iTunes) and to drag a song to another DAW like ableton I can no longer select the song and cntrl + tab. It's really annoying
DJ Matty Stiles 2:22 PM - 29 February, 2016
Effects rule in SDJ (compared to SSL), however I wish there was a way to see the beat parameters without taking up so much screen real estate (a little display on the SP-1 would be out of this world)
HighTopFade 4:55 PM - 29 February, 2016
No problems after upgrading from a 2010 Macbook to a 2012. Serato DJ will display bad or no timecode signal. However, Scratch Live was fine. Pretty good thing Rane 62 is backwards compatible.
dj_soo 12:15 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
I have started to EXPERIMENT with sync because I like to test out every new feature (learnt to beatmarch without a computer 11 years ago) and it looks to open up some new creative possibilities

I use the sync button to extend the pitch range of my tech 12s.

So say I have a track at 105 bpm and want to drop an acapella that's 90 bpm over it, I'll zero the pitch on the acapella, hit the sync button and it'll make 0 on the acapella 105. Then I'll just beatmatch and pitchride normally.

You can do the same in controllers, but you have to remember to unlink the other side from the sync otherwise the pitch faders will be locked together.
DJ Tecniq 2:33 AM - 1 March, 2016
It honestly comes down to whatever hardware/equipment you are using with El Capitan. Cause not all products are supported. If you aren't having issues I'm guessing you must be on a controller and not a DVS setup.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:40 AM - 1 March, 2016
Scratchlive 1.9.2
Windows XP

No problems!

Eva!
Β 6 3:51 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Scratchlive 1.9.2
Windows XP

No problems!

Eva!

Reading comprehension problems every day though.

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:24 AM - 1 March, 2016
Nope! But I see you still startvin' for attention....lmao.

You finish that MSU++ class yet?
Mr. Goodkat 4:38 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
It honestly comes down to whatever hardware/equipment you are using with El Capitan. Cause not all products are supported. If you aren't having issues I'm guessing you must be on a controller and not a DVS setup.

dvs with a s9 and a srt. no problems.
DJ Tecniq 4:45 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

dvs with a s9 and a srt. no problems.
That's good to hear although I've heard from a few on the forum the S9 is not playing well with El Capitan.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:11 AM - 2 March, 2016
Rane 62 + MBP 2014 (sometimes with DDJSX)

1. Sometimes Serato DJ doesn't recognise the mixer. A hot unplugging sorts this out

2. If i set the Latency lower than 2ms i get a pop/crackling sound and with the 1.8 version I think I'm getting the pop at 2ms too.

3. Other than those it works well for me 97.8% of the time.

4. There is also a mini freeze/hanging (audio still playing) when I want to edit a beat Grid. This is usually the first track I'm trying to edit after starting serato DJ. Subsequent editing doesn't cause the hanging. This is a constant every time.

5. Deleting crates/files is still a pain

6. I like autogain

None of this has affected my performance with the it, it's just worth pointing out as it affects workflow.

Eg the beat gridding hanging I described,i have to wait after hitting alt+space bar for like 7 seconds before I can now start slipping or adjusting the beat grid.
SG SOUNDS 2:17 PM - 2 March, 2016
Believe it or not sdj runs flawlessly on my 2009 macbook pro.either with my ddj sx or my rane 62 however i still mostly use ssl majority of the time..
DJ Tecniq 2:38 PM - 2 March, 2016
I think SDJ works best with newer computers. One thing is certain these issues were never a problem in SSL. Just saying.
DJ Remy USA 2:46 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
after the library issue was fixed and i added more RAM on my computer SERATO DJ has been as solid as SL is. SDJ is slightly slower booting up but that not a big deal.

I think thats my problem I need like 16 GB of ram in my mac at this point the 8 GB isnt cutting it with SDJ it skips alot.
DJ Remy USA 2:57 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
Scratchlive 1.9.2
Windows XP

No problems!

Eva!

this makes me laugh JM still bro
Taipanic 3:21 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:

You can do the same in controllers, but you have to remember to unlink the other side from the sync otherwise the pitch faders will be locked together.

LOL, I had bumped the sync button on my SZ while playing a gig, took me a minute to figure that out. Couldn't figure out why a 126 BPM track was trying to play at 80. Didn't help that the stage lights washed out the sync button lights, couldn't tell they were lit.
Taipanic 3:26 PM - 2 March, 2016
No issues for the most part with SDJ, mostly laggy graphics and a couple of database crashes when shutting down. Only 2 debilitating crashes that required restart/reboot in a year.
2010 MBP17 8g, external FW & USB3 drives, P&T, M.E.
myndgruv 4:26 PM - 2 March, 2016
mid 2012 macbook pro non retina with 16 gb ram and a 1tb SSD. Havnt had an issue in over a year with my rane 62 and SDJ. I play out every weekend and have yet to crash.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:29 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Scratchlive 1.9.2
Windows XP

No problems!

Eva!

this makes me laugh JM still bro

You know what? The bottom line is that I NEVER wind up worrying about computer issues.

I just set up and play.

End of story.
DJ Baby Boy 11:15 AM - 5 March, 2016
Running a 2012 MBP and been running SDJ only since DVS support was added with close to zero problems since making the switch and that's while running PnT & Video via MixEmergency using Techs, Reloop RP8000's, CDJ 2000's in HID, Rane 62, DDJ-SX/2, DDJ-SZ, DJM-S9, VCI-380, Reloop Neon X 2, Serato Remote

Side note SSL will no longer run for more than 10 minutes without crashing (Not a problem since I only use SDJ now) with Rane TTM-57, Rane 62, Or SL1 and myself nor anyone from Serato can tell me why that is
DJ Tecniq 5:43 PM - 5 March, 2016
Auto gain is not accurate at all...used SDJ at home with auto gain at 92 db and gains were bleeding. However the actually (sound) itself didn't sound like it was clipping. Very misleading. This is why I loved master output level in SSL it could get overall gain volume for tracks and did what it was intended to do. It was super useful to stay out of bleeding/clipping.
Β 6 6:29 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
Nope! But I see you still startvin' for attention....lmao.

You finish that MSU++ class yet?

Oh you mean starving for attention because I posted in a thread about SDJ with something irrelevant.

Gotcha.

Lack of reading comprehension and brains. You sure hit the jackpot. lol

nm
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:30 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
Auto gain is not accurate at all...used SDJ at home with auto gain at 92 db and gains were bleeding. However the actually (sound) itself didn't sound like it was clipping. Very misleading. This is why I loved master output level in SSL it could get overall gain volume for tracks and did what it was intended to do. It was super useful to stay out of bleeding/clipping.

I do have to agree with this. The signal is waaaaaay hotter for me coming from ScratchLive & SL1. I'm working to find a happy medium of gain control
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 PM - 5 March, 2016
Quote:
Oh you mean starving for attention because I posted in a thread about SDJ with something irrelevant.

LMAO!

You already know you're irrelevant....

:-)
Laz219 1:41 AM - 6 March, 2016
2012 (non retina) MBP, SL3, turntables, dicers and akai mpk25

Been using SDJ since DVS support became available and yes, I had some minor problems with the early builds. All of which have been ironed out since.
Never had an actual crash or anything that serious though, even though I get every update once they are available.

I occasionally still play in SSL but I always feel like I'm missing too much.
PnT, better FX (although I miss the old echo out) and to be honest, I'm so used to SDJ now that the GUI color scheme of SSL looks strange to me.
Β 6 2:47 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO!

You already know you're irrelevant....

:-)

Second grade come back. Try again. :)

nm
Β 6 2:48 AM - 6 March, 2016
My bad. That was a typo. I meant to type second PLACE come back.

Bahahahahahha!!!

nm
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:08 AM - 6 March, 2016
Quote:
My bad..

Yes, it IS, but we already know about your 2nd Grade skills...

Bwahahahahahahha!

Wow, 2 in 2 days.....
Β 6 9:52 PM - 6 March, 2016
;)

nm
DJ Matty Stiles 11:46 PM - 6 March, 2016
How are you guys addressing your problem with autogain bleeding?
DJ Tecniq 1:21 AM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Its happening for me too using the SL3 you just need to go lower than 92db but I think the gain levels are way too low under a 92 db setting. This is why Scratchlive is still accurate cause the master output level adjusts overall track gains. SDJ's master output level just syncs with your mixers/controllers master. Completely opposite and has nothing to do with affecting the overall gain/trim structure. Sorry but it's the truth auto gain is misleading. However the audio doesn't "sound" like it's bleeding but it is being displayed that way. Still on SSL for these reasonsπŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ’―
DJ Matty Stiles 11:46 AM - 7 March, 2016
^ not gonna lie, I've had the same problem on the 62 and SL3 (not sure if it makes a difference as it still bleeds offline?). This is probably to a lesser extent but I definitely see it happening here and there.

Look everyone this really really sucks, serato should take note, I mean why should you have to sacrifice volume simply to avoid bleeding? Such a basic issue.

Firstly I would re-analyse my library, secondly if I did encounter bleeding I would adjust the gain manually on the track itself (remember alt + click resets it). That seems to be a work around for now.
deejdave 1:56 PM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Its happening for me too using the SL3 you just need to go lower than 92db but I think the gain levels are way too low under a 92 db setting. This is why Scratchlive is still accurate cause the master output level adjusts overall track gains. SDJ's master output level just syncs with your mixers/controllers master. Completely opposite and has nothing to do with affecting the overall gain/trim structure. Sorry but it's the truth auto gain is misleading. However the audio doesn't "sound" like it's bleeding but it is being displayed that way. Still on SSL for these reasonsπŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ’―

Although I could do without the emojis this is by far the most well written, non offending and fair comment I have seen you write to date. No that you need my approval or anything but just saying you would/will get a LOT more positive feedback AND results by going this route!!

Not too late bud!
DJ Tecniq 2:06 PM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Although I could do without the emojis this is by far the most well written, non offending and fair comment I have seen you write to date. No that you need my approval or anything but just saying you would/will get a LOT more positive feedback AND results by going this route!!

Not too late bud!
Thanks but there are reasons why I complain and rant about certain issues within SDJ. It's such a simple fix how hard can it be. I don't know but when I play songs in Scratchlive they are just right compared to playing the same song in SDJ the tracks are bleeding. I have noticed with bass tones the gain really shoots up there. The way the gain structure in SDJ it's way to sensitive. And sorry about the emoji's I'm on my phone.
deejdave 2:14 PM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Thanks but there are reasons why I complain and rant about certain issues within SDJ. It's such a simple fix how hard can it be. I don't know but when I play songs in Scratchlive they are just right compared to playing the same song in SDJ the tracks are bleeding. I have noticed with bass tones the gain really shoots up there. The way the gain structure in SDJ it's way to sensitive. And sorry about the emoji's I'm on my phone.

It's not what you say or that fact that you say it. It is how you say it and how you present yourself. I promise. Now I understand getting frustrated and such but in my experience it is even better to aim said frustration directly at Serato's support as a developer rather than trying to slam them as a company.

Reason being is people will actually endure your words and find the substance to what you are actually trying to say. This is NOT the first time you were correct with your point BUT it is the first time I personally sat there (even willing to reread) and fully absorbed what you were trying to say. Just trying to help is all. You are very active on these forums and I even see you try to help peeps at times. It just seems you have more to offer when you are fair and actually put more effort in your words describing the problem rather than words describing your feelings toward Serato :)

Again not that you need my approval............. just trying to help.
DJ Tecniq 2:27 PM - 7 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It's not what you say or that fact that you say it. It is how you say it and how you present yourself. I promise. Now I understand getting frustrated and such but in my experience it is even better to aim said frustration directly at Serato's support as a developer rather than trying to slam them as a company.

Reason being is people will actually endure your words and find the substance to what you are actually trying to say. This is NOT the first time you were correct with your point BUT it is the first time I personally sat there (even willing to reread) and fully absorbed what you were trying to say. Just trying to help is all. You are very active on these forums and I even see you try to help peeps at times. It just seems you have more to offer when you are fair and actually put more effort in your words describing the problem rather than words describing your feelings toward Serato :)

Again not that you need my approval............. just trying to help.
You make a great point and yes I try to help others when I can and have calmed down with the rants about the overall software. I'm just saying we are almost at a 2.0 version and these small kinks should have been worked out. I have noticed for controllers bleeding really doesn't occur but for certain DVS systems it does. I also don't understand how a program built from "scratch" apparently can have so many problems. You would think it would be the opposite. But this isn't the case because Sam even said so himself that Itch was merged with Scratchlive to create SDJ...Well I've never really used Itch but it's pretty much outdated and heard it had a lot of problems as a "basic" software application. Why they would even merge Itch with Scratchlive is beyond me. But I'm just a user not a developer. This feels like so long ago...
youtu.be
norway 8:00 PM - 10 March, 2016
Quote:

how manny GB of ram most have for serato work 100%????
Taipanic 7:52 PM - 11 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

For Mac, 8, minimum, 16gig if it will take it, if you are doing video.
norway 3:17 PM - 12 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For Mac, 8, minimum, 16gig if it will take it, if you are doing video.

Thanks
WarpNote 9:00 AM - 14 March, 2016
On SDJ exclusively for about 1,5 years now.
Been solid to me. As a gearwhore, I own and use SL4, DJM-900SRT, Rane 62, DJM-S9, Akai AMX, DDJ-SX, Numark Mixtrack Edge, Akai AFX, DDJ-SP1, Dicers, HC1000S. My residencies has either/a combo of DJM-900 Nexus (club kit), DJM-850 (Club Kit), Rane 64, CDJ-2000 Nexus (HID) and/or turntables. i have a late 2013 15" retina i7 2,7 ghz, running osx 10.10.5

I often run Resolume alongside SDJ for visuals.

All in all, I have to say I'm very impressed with SDJ, being able to support so much different hardware. I did have a few niggles at times, but nothing serious, and nothing I couldn't work around if I needed. Happy camper here.
norway 9:06 AM - 14 March, 2016
Quote:
Been solid to me. As a gearwhore, I own and use SL4, DJM-900SRT, Rane 62, DJM-S9, Akai AMX, DDJ-SX, Numark Mixtrack Edge, Akai AFX, DDJ-SP1, Dicers, HC1000S. My residencies has either/a combo of DJM-900 Nexus (club kit), DJM-850 (Club Kit), Rane 64, CDJ-2000 Nexus (HID) and/or turntables. i have a late 2013 15" retina i7 2,7 ghz, running osx 10.10.5

All in all, I have to say I'm very impressed with SDJ, being able to support so much different hardware. I did have a few niggles at times, but nothing serious, and nothing I couldn't work around if I needed. Happy camper here.

what best apple mac i can buy so evrything work good i going to buy this one DDJ-RX
WarpNote 9:12 AM - 14 March, 2016
I never played the DDJ-RX, and I don't think I ever will.

Personally, I will always get the highest spec I can afford when shopping for a new mac.

If on a budget, I would look for used machines similar to my own: late 2013 or newer, retina 15". Reason I would for 15" is the screen estate and dedicated graphics, but you might have other preferences.
norway 9:15 AM - 14 March, 2016
in here in thailand use this one and look good, but i not sure what i coming too buy in apple mac only i know more ram i have better its it
dj_soo 9:40 PM - 15 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

what best apple mac i can buy so evrything work good i going to buy this one DDJ-RX

RX is a Pioneer and Rekordbox product. You'll get better answers asking on forum that's not run by competing software.
deejdave 10:30 PM - 15 March, 2016
Then again there is a good chance you will get more advice from the peeps here than th from pioneer reps themselves. Lol
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:40 AM - 16 March, 2016
I'd just like to add a Denon MC4000 working flawless with SDJ as well as my DJM 850 with my set of CDJ 850's and a DDJ SP1.......
norway 6:20 PM - 17 March, 2016
Quote:

how manny RAM u do have before you upgrade???
Taipanic 5:38 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:

RX is a Pioneer and Rekordbox product. You'll get better answers asking on forum that's not run by competing software.

If you get the DDJ-ZX you can run Rekordbox & Serato.
deejdave 6:38 PM - 23 March, 2016
Not sure what you meant as there is no such thing as the DDJ-ZX and as dj_soo said the DDJ-RX is a Rekordbox ONLY product. If you get the DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX, etc. you can run boht Serato and Rekordbox.
Taipanic 7:54 PM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Not sure what you meant as there is no such thing as the DDJ-ZX and as dj_soo said the DDJ-RX is a Rekordbox ONLY product. If you get the DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX, etc. you can run boht Serato and Rekordbox.

Meant the SZ, multitasking typo.