Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

1.9 Beta & Pulselocker

ParisCreative 1:30 PM - 25 February, 2016
I see the 1.9 Beta is out now. I have not been an advocate of streaming services however I am not anti-progress. My question is with Pulselocker is it setup more like a regular music pool or are the songs that you download locally subject to deletion if Pulselocker chooses to? I am very fearful of the latter and there have been countless other services out there that had something similar only to delete other files (Adobe CC is the latest in a long line). I certainly don't want to have my library compromised.
ParisCreative 1:35 PM - 25 February, 2016
I should have added... Is the Pulselocker files co-mingled with your regular library or can you direct that to another share?
DJ P Dot 8:49 PM - 25 February, 2016
I had the same questions you did, so I decided to give the beta a try just to check out Pulselocker. I recorded a quick video with an explanation of my findings:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I could see myself having Pulselocker as an addition to the DJ pools that i subscribe to, but at this point I can't see myself using Pulselocker as a replacement for them.
ParisCreative 9:06 PM - 25 February, 2016
When it downloads does it co-mingle the songs with your regular files or does it store it into the local Serato directory?
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:53 PM - 25 February, 2016
If you don't pay for a month you loose access to the files if Pulselocker go bust you loose the lot. If Pulselocker remove content you loose it. You do not get to keep the files ect.
MassAppeal 9:56 PM - 25 February, 2016
My biggest question (and I will probably play with it tonight when I download it) is if it will auto analyze your tracks; specifically the volume.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:06 PM - 25 February, 2016
So basically its like spotify. You loose your files if you don't subscribe. How does that make sense sef?

And i see what they did with the exchange rate too $19 = 20 pounds
MassAppeal 10:07 PM - 25 February, 2016
You don't own the files...your leasing them month to month. If you stop paying, your "lease" is gone and done.
blur2011 10:21 PM - 25 February, 2016
And, I assume, that if Pulselocker loses its agreement with the record label, the tracks get removed from their library and yours.

I run an external drive to keep tracks on and go back and forth between two computers. I assume the tracks are stored in a data folder that is dictated by Serato and Pulselocker and I won't be able to move the files.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:28 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
You don't own the files...your leasing them month to month. If you stop paying, your "lease" is gone and done.

Shouldn't be more than 5 bucks a month then.
DJ P Dot 12:48 AM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Shouldn't be more than 5 bucks a month then.

Doesn't seem right since Spotify is more than $5 a month
Mr. Goodkat 1:03 AM - 26 February, 2016
an integrated streaming service within SDJ is def worth more than 5$ a month.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:16 AM - 26 February, 2016
Is it true that record is disabled when you are playing a pulse locker tune.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:57 AM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:

Yes
paazel 10:31 AM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
I had the same questions you did, so I decided to give the beta a try just to check out Pulselocker. I recorded a quick video with an explanation of my findings:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I could see myself having Pulselocker as an addition to the DJ pools that i subscribe to, but at this point I can't see myself using Pulselocker as a replacement for them.

Informative vid. Thanks!
DJ P Dot 10:55 AM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Informative vid. Thanks!

Glad you found it helpful!
Mike from Chicago 3:10 PM - 26 February, 2016
Not to be a debby-downer here, think about it guys "Big Brother" is looking for a way to allow/prohibit and charge you for music.

There's a few things I see wrong with this technology:
What If Pulselocker loses it Record Label content partner?
Not all venues will have an internet connection so this means a DJ would have to purchase a mobile hotspot package that will allow 99999999999gigs of data.
Does the music file need to buffer similar to how a track is analyzed on you laptop, so this means a Fast internet connect will be needed
Pulselocker will not be any use to a Video DJ as the file content will probably small like that of a an iPOD file (ACC format)

In my opinion this technology is way ahead of its time and I believe that some of the software bugs, product support and current technology should be perfected prior to introducing other technology that gets designed on a broken platform.

I hate to say it but SDJ 1.7.5 is closest to being stable on most Macbook Pros, many DJs that I have networked with are using MixEmergency with SDJ and/or SSL.
Mr. Goodkat 3:49 PM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
Not to be a debby-downer here, think about it guys "Big Brother" is looking for a way to allow/prohibit and charge you for music.

they are charging
MassAppeal 5:26 PM - 26 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes

Welp, there is my reason not to get it. Having a "physical" file IMO is still the way to go (for now) due to the reasons others have stated (minus the pricing aspect) Spotty internet being the biggest concern.
Cham 6:46 PM - 26 February, 2016
Pulselocker seems like a bit of a fail at the moment. Are there any other interesting news in 1.9?
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:57 PM - 26 February, 2016
serato needs to get pulselocker to analise the whole database ,

not only serato but all the other software partners, when you stream a song no meta data appears you have to save it for offline then scan to get a bpm and key, this info needs to be shown when a search of pulselocker is done not after you download, disconnect your sl device and analise
monkeyfunk 9:57 PM - 26 February, 2016
Anyone up for doing some song searches in pulse locker ? I'm interested in how deep their catalogue is.
Mr. Goodkat 10:03 PM - 26 February, 2016
people should start posting songs and seeing if they come up
MassAppeal 11:07 PM - 26 February, 2016
Why don't you use the free 2 week trial?
Mr. Goodkat 12:01 AM - 27 February, 2016
it might be good just to see what comes up and what doesnt, ive been on it.

i think it would take a while to get in the groove and build up playlists and such.

first time i was on it, i didnt verify the account and it wouldnt load(which i didnt realize), but i did go to the website and make and account and look around.

pretty cool. its just one of those things that could take time to find things or realize what isnt in there as far as labels and artists.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:27 PM - 27 February, 2016
Id like to know why its 20 bucks when VDJ does the same thing at only 10 bucks plus I can download a cache file whereas SDJ only lets you stream it??
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:39 PM - 27 February, 2016
And why does it have "Tribute" versions?
I tried it today. Nice idea but I don't know what it offers that the normal pools dont?
The Return of Dj Sparky 5:35 PM - 27 February, 2016
Quote:
Id like to know why its 20 bucks when VDJ does the same thing at only 10 bucks plus I can download a cache file whereas SDJ only lets you stream it??

Serato have to get their cut
Mr. Goodkat 5:57 PM - 27 February, 2016
and you have to use vdj. nothing wrong with it, but most people here are using serato.

hence the serato.com/forum/discussion web addy
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:17 PM - 27 February, 2016
Yeah I know this is the "Serato" forum, I was sent an invite to the beta but 20bucks for that obscure request every now and again isn't worth it to me.

This is only good for those obscure request which is what id use it for only. Anyone trying to build they're library with this is nuts!!

That 240 a year would be better spent on a legit pool else where.

Its a great idea and a nice "tool" but that's exactly how it should be looked at, a "tool".

These newbies are shooting themselves in the foot with this.......
Mr. Goodkat 6:29 PM - 27 February, 2016
not really cuz they can just go steal the music they like and save thru pulse locker or go buy a lossless file at a digital store. at least they wont be getting shite quality dj pool tracks.
DJ Tecniq 8:48 PM - 27 February, 2016
1.9 has added way too many features. Can we get back to stability or nah...
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:14 PM - 27 February, 2016
Quote:

One feature 😂 Ya to much that
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:20 PM - 27 February, 2016
Quote:

1. You well need to open a separate thread for that so as not to derail this one 😁

2. Or open a help request. If you have open a request, kindly post the ticket number here so it can be chased up.

3. Stability is a feature we hope to bring to Serato DJ, but we don't have a date for that yet. Just make sure you have Scratch Live installed on your snow leopard.

4. We hope after implementing the new "Ultra Combo mode" requested by "all the DJs" for that "Ultra Victory DJ performance" stability will be our next focus.

5. Don't forget to open a feature request 😂
Marv Incredible 3:48 AM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:

I swear Tecniq's only got one record in his crate 'cos he never changes it.
wadup 5:13 AM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yup one scratch record....
bcatdclub 8:57 AM - 28 February, 2016
Torrents, youtube and Ableton to remix your tracks is way yyyyyyyyy better. Plus you can have stuff others will be trying to I.D. instead of playing the same stuff:) I will pass.
Dj Owe 3:14 PM - 28 February, 2016
If pulselocker has a library like Spotify and works like Pyro does with the song suggestions I'd be in heaven.
I guess with my old age and different music tastes now I'm finding it hard to keep up with new tunes and find myself being the old skool guy but since I been on Pyro I have been keeping up with new music a lot easier.

Just from that video pulse locker library needs more tags. Sorting by year. Genre. Sub genre. Etc
deejdave 11:25 PM - 28 February, 2016
Quote:
Torrents, youtube and Ableton to remix your tracks is way yyyyyyyyy better. Plus you can have stuff others will be trying to I.D. instead of playing the same stuff:) I will pass.

PL is direct from record labels and has much broader selection whereas torrents is peer to peer. Which do you think would be more unique? Direct from the labels or direct from.................. other people who already have it. Furthermore THIS is legal where what you are suggesting is not.
Quote:

The $20 PL tier absolutely does include the option to download the file for use offline but I find that the music is much more suited for my taste. Still has work to be done with the mainstream etc. but it is coming along. From what I have seen the content unlimited has taken a huge hit since VDJ got caught with the who grooveshark debacle. Youtube/video edits, lacking library, etc. although I am not sure if they have gotten things straightened out. I do know (from recent testing) there is already a huge and definite difference in content very much in Pulselockers favor for the genres of music I prefer. TBH PL actually beats out even Spotify in many cases.

I am assuming your experience with content unlimited has been pretty good which is fine. Different strokes for different folks. Both are pretty amazing. I think PL has a better offer but not sure it is twice as good but time will tell. They have been speaking (over at PL) about offering a mobile app later this year which would definitely sweeten the pot and they certainly need to get rid of the filler (tribute and cover) tracks. Personally I would prefer Spotify but I'll take PL for now :)
Quote:
Quote:

Ugh
Quote:
Just from that video pulse locker library needs more tags. Sorting by year. Genre. Sub genre. Etc

Year is already present. The Genre I am sure will be added at some point (as the website offers full arrangement of such) but yes very surprised it is not there already. VERY nice to see the record label tag always present and the rest (Key, BPM, etc) will show up when analyzed (or played) as usual.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:55 AM - 29 February, 2016
I just joined Pulselocker minutes ago - looking at it with a web browser first and eventually will try the offline player.

I need to update some physical record pool tracks later tonight but figured I would search for some of the same hits in Pulselocker and see if available.

Signup seems pretty painless - like an expansion pack.

I think I have a gig next weekend where it is a former clients parent 75th birthday, not sure if pluselocker will take me that far back but may come handy.

Just searched for Temptations nothing I wanted came up BUT when I searched for THE Temptations - got some of what I needed. I guess you have to be REAL specific with searches - not like the Serato search we all know and love.

Will post up more about it and follow this thread after I did deeper into it
deejdave 3:34 AM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
I guess you have to be REAL specific with searches - not like the Serato search we all know and love.

Absolutely and I hate this part! You'll use a keyword and nothing then you actually add a word and stuff pops up...................... makes no sense.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:29 AM - 29 February, 2016
Please include an option to deactivate PL. I'm not going to use it and it's making my Serato cluttered.
It should be a plug in..No?
Isn't that the reason y'all removed the beat match Tempo display
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:54 AM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
Please include an option to deactivate PL. I'm not going to use it and it's making my Serato cluttered.

Hmmmm ----> i190.photobucket.com
Mr. Goodkat 11:31 AM - 29 February, 2016
swear some of you are like the bad requesters at clubs.
deejdave 5:18 PM - 29 February, 2016
I saw DVO bring up the same thing at one point but what i don't understand is that it is you yourself who has to activate it in the first place. Wouldn't it be reasonable that the proper course of action would be to simply not log in or activate it?
Mr. Goodkat 5:43 PM - 29 February, 2016
youre making too much sense dave
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:06 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmmm ----> i190.photobucket.com

Thanks
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:07 AM - 1 March, 2016
Didn't see that. It was on by default sirs/mas
deejdave 1:42 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:

Without being logged in (via SDJ) Pulselocker does not word does it? Furthermore how were you logged in without entering your account info?
deejdave 1:42 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
word

= work
DJ Tecniq 2:35 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Says....the beginner DJ.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:44 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Without being logged in (via SDJ) Pulselocker does not word does it? Furthermore how were you logged in without entering your account info?

I think he may have ben talking about the Pulselocker line linkwith the Offline Tracks and Playlist subcrates - no? 3 lines of clutter
deejdave 3:01 AM - 1 March, 2016
I hope not. You can minimize that so it is literally only one line within the crates.
deejdave 3:02 AM - 1 March, 2016
Then again who am I to tell anyone what is or what is not clutter. Either way easy enough the option he is/was asking for was there from the beginning so all is well :)
DJ Romey Rome 7:17 AM - 1 March, 2016
Ive been going through Pluselocker catalog, building playlist and doing a few mixes at home for a few days now. There catalog has to be one of the best I use. Did a search by label by putting in Motown, Stax, and Def Jam and found a lot of stuff I may need in the future. Whats really dope about them is they have a huge selection of underground hip hop like stuff from Stones Throw, Mello Music Group, BBE, and more. More stuff than the other MP3 pools that all have the same stuff.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:29 AM - 1 March, 2016
It's all good now.

Took me a minute to find where the Tempo Matching Display was. Didn't realise it was an option.

For a minute I thought I was running 1.8 only to find the toggle deep within the options.

I just hope the folks at serato take a wee breather and just improve efficiency over the next few X.X.X updates.

Still can't delete files properly.

As this is about PL, I did try it out and it's got a deep afrobeats , I'm talking early hits from 2face Idibia.

Wish they had a purchase option, they need to clean up that library fast. OMG.

I see tracks there with wrong BPM and Grid. Is this a serato problem?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:32 AM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
I see tracks there with wrong BPM and Grid. Is this a serato problem?

Yes as the tracks analyze as it downloads the stream/file to your laptop.

The serato bpm/grid detection is shocking at best anyway. They made it better for a free pyro app like. but stuff paying sdj users.
Dj Owe 1:44 PM - 1 March, 2016
Agreed and it's gotten worse since the latest update. It's shifting cue points and beat grids even locked ones
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:20 PM - 1 March, 2016
I learned to spin real vinyl back in the early 80's and I been using ScratchLive since 1.7.x around 2007 or so, I always beat matched by ear and used the big (and small) vertical waveforms in the center of SSL and SDJ.

Now that I know how to ACTUALLY use that Tempo Match display - that shit actually has to be one of Serato's BEST features since cue points, auto BPM detection and Instant Doubles.

Thanks for bringing it back!!!

Used 1.9 last night for some practice and found myself looking at Tempo Match Display more and more.

Shit is actually awesome. Fuck keeping it real - that went away with the Sync button - lol.
Mr. Goodkat 10:25 PM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Now that I know how to ACTUALLY use that Tempo Match display

whats the key? i never really understood it
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:40 PM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Kinda explains it here - youtu.be at 2:30

If you ever spun real vinyl - it's actually like a digital VISUAL finger push or finger drag to align the tracks QUICKLY.

You just look at the icicles at the top and move the pitch to line them up.

Hard to explain until you actually use them - old school DJs do this naturally but this quickly reinforces what you already do.
Mr. Goodkat 10:42 PM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

well it seems to work now, with pulselocker running everything fine.

i deinstalled the beta originally and re installed.
Mr. Goodkat 10:58 PM - 1 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

well it seems to work now, with pulselocker running everything fine.

i deinstalled the beta originally and re installed.

wrong thread, but still its pretty cool. not sure why its a bad thing at all.
teddlyf 5:27 PM - 3 March, 2016
I upgraded to Serato from Intro because of the potential for Pulselocker but I'm already starting to regret it. The selection of tracks is shoddy at best. I'm really shocked and disappointed. I looked for tracks by Dixon, John Talabot, Kink, Tale of Us and Lake People, all big names (about as big as it gets) in the underground house and techno scene and Pulselocker had one of them (and that was the Lake People one, who are the least well known of the five). I won't be bothering to stay with it, which is a pity because it was exactly what I was looking for.
teddlyf 5:31 PM - 3 March, 2016
Just to put that post in to context, Spotify has four of those tracks. I just search for Innervisions (one of the biggest labels in house music) and they had three or four releases from about five years ago and nothing since?
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:32 PM - 3 March, 2016
teddlyf pop your feedback in here serato.com
Mr. Goodkat 5:46 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
ust to put that post in to context, Spotify has four of those tracks

so 1 to 4 is an major upgrade? i
teddlyf 5:48 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
ust to put that post in to context, Spotify has four of those tracks

so 1 to 4 is an major upgrade? i

Well I only looked for five...

I just did a basic search for five of the biggest tracks in the scene from the past couple of years
pdidy 9:16 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
I upgraded to Serato from Intro because of the potential for Pulselocker but I'm already starting to regret it. The selection of tracks is shoddy at best. I'm really shocked and disappointed. .

Serato dj has a FREE trial.
Pulselocker has a FREE trial.

So the real problem is you are failing you by not thinking smart. Lesson learned ?
teddlyf 9:18 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I upgraded to Serato from Intro because of the potential for Pulselocker but I'm already starting to regret it. The selection of tracks is shoddy at best. I'm really shocked and disappointed. .

Serato dj has a FREE trial.
Pulselocker has a FREE trial.

So the real problem is you are failing you by not thinking smart. Lesson learned ?

Well I'd have upgraded to Serato DJ eventually anyway, but I went earlier than I was going to!
Dj Wunder 11:48 PM - 3 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I guess you have to be REAL specific with searches - not like the Serato search we all know and love.

Absolutely and I hate this part! You'll use a keyword and nothing then you actually add a word and stuff pops up...................... makes no sense.

Ooh that's a big strike. Definitely contradicts my Serato search technique of only using partial words, so "Don't Stop Believing by Journey" gets found by typing "journ don stop"
deejdave 12:06 AM - 4 March, 2016
Same here. Will use artist first name or last name remixer first name or last name and one or two key words of song. Currently this does not work with PL. I mean you can even spell it out letter for letter, word for word and it may or may not come up. Then type the artist name and search (fine tooth comb and takes a while) and BOOM there it is!
Dj Wunder 12:11 AM - 4 March, 2016
Ew.