Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ScratchLive SL1; El Capitan

RustyRuss 3:49 PM - 21 February, 2016
My SL1 has been solid for about 5 years now and never had 1 single issue until now.
When I play a track it glitches fairly often, like every 15-20 second. The audio cuts out for about a half a second the starts back again.

It says my software up to date... 2.5.0 and I'm running it on a MacBook Pro with El Capitan software. Of course this all started when I updated the OS.

A colleague mentioned to me that Serato doesn't plan to support the SL1 anymore and no more updates will be issued for this hardware since it's "old technology". Just wondering if this is true and I need to make other arrangements for future sessions. Kinda tired of lugging my desktop around to gigs.

I have no interest in downgrading my OS to make the SL1 work right, so thats not an option.
Just need to know if this is a permanent issue with this device and I have to get something else.

Thanks.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 PM - 21 February, 2016
Yes sorry your colleague is right the SL1 has been long discontinued. The reason you are having issues is because of El Capitan. There are currently no driver support for any Rane sound card devices. Most users are still on Yosemite using their hardware. El Capitan has serious audio issues with Serato.
DJ Tecniq 8:37 PM - 21 February, 2016
More info here. Notice how the SL1 is not even mentioned but all the other Rane cards are currently unsupported. El Capitan is the problem. All kinds of devices are having issues with EC not just Rane/Serato. You will not have success using Serato on El Capitan unless you downgrade your software or upgrade to a hardware device to support Serato DJ and EC like the Denon DS1 sound card.

support.serato.com
RustyRuss 8:57 PM - 21 February, 2016
I know the issues, just needed to know if it was permanent and I now have a $550 paperweight. Appreciate the info.

Oh well, change is inevitable. And expensive unfortunately.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:53 PM - 21 February, 2016
Just downgrade the OS. What's so important in El Cap that you rather blow a bunch of money that you wont have to if you just dropped down an OS??
DJ Tecniq 9:55 PM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
I know the issues, just needed to know if it was permanent and I now have a $550 paperweight. Appreciate the info.

From what I'm hearing it's not permanent but there is no estimate on when it will be fixed but Rane is working with Apple to resolve the issues and have been so hopefully the next El Capitan release will resolve these issues however there has been supported hardware that are still having issues with EC so I would not trust it at this stage. Eventually you will have to update your SL1 anyways to stay current with future technology. I would say your best bet is the Denon DS1 which is the cheapest sound card for SDJ. Or downgrade your OSX and buy the Rane SL2 which works both for Scratchlive and SDJ this way you can use both. Hope that helps.
Code:E 2:53 AM - 22 February, 2016
Quote:
now have a $150 paperweight.

Fixed.
pdidy 5:39 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Please PM me and I will gladly take that "paperweight" off your hands free of charge.
Joe Fresh 6:42 AM - 24 February, 2016
Here's the hard truth RustyRuss - if you want a glitch-free performance out of your SL1 and Scratch Live, you're going to need to run it on OS X Yosemite or Mavericks.

Fortunately, you can partition your hard drive to allow for a second installation of the older OS. This way you don't have to roll back your entire system.

There are video tutorials that can help you with this, Rane made one here: Watchwww.youtube.com

Hope this helps you out man.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:18 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
now have a $49 paperweight.

Fixed for 2016
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:20 AM - 24 February, 2016
Most stable OS with SL1 is Snow Leopard amd SSL 1.9.2 with a core duo Mac.
perfa 7:01 AM - 4 August, 2016
Well this works now :)
serato.com