Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

TTM57: Some software assign sugestions

DJK 11:40 AM - 27 May, 2006
Ability to assign Full Left Pan and Full Right Pan to the Joystick
This would give me the most important feature I lost from the 56! I have a couple scratches I made up that use the pan fader!

Ability to assign Flex FX toggle to the footswitch
This way you could set up an effect on the Aux bus, and then use buttons 1 and 2 on the footswitch to apply the effect to either channel while keeping you hands free!

Ability to assign 'Effect On' to user groups 1 and 2 and the footswitch
So we can apply the effect while scratching! This is a huge oversight that alot of people say they really want! Adding it the group 1 and 2 would allow us to keep the features we use most on those groups so that you don't have to switch groups as much.

Ability to assign loop edit point to the joystick in user groups 1 and 2
This is so that I can keep the knobs as libray controls, but still fine edit loop in and loop out points in the same group.

Ability to assign the effect BPM lock to the master bus
This way you don't have to send the 'hot' deck to the bpm lock every time so the delay works correctly. When you mix, you usually stay at pretty consistant a bpm for several songs.

Ability to assign a button to toggle through multiple pre-defined footswitch groups, so you can assign and acess more footswitch controls without changing groups.
What can I say I am a footswitch whore, I just cant get enough, but then again what creative tabalist wouldn't be? Think about the way the joystick in the record group cycles the record input.
nik39 12:59 PM - 27 May, 2006
I like all of them, except

Quote:
Ability to assign the effect BPM lock to the master bus
This way you don't have to send the 'hot' deck to the bpm lock every time so the delay works correctly. When you mix, you usually stay at pretty consistant a bpm for several songs

I think I have a better idea, my idea would automatically follow the insert point of the effect, as described here www.scratchlive.net <- click.
DJK 3:04 PM - 27 May, 2006
But I don't think your idea would work with using the flex fx to send each channel to the aux bus? Other then that it looks pretty clever though.
nik39 3:16 PM - 27 May, 2006
Yes, it wouldnt work in such cases.
DJK 10:04 AM - 29 May, 2006
Mods, any word on any of these? We need effect assign on the footswitch more then any other thing beside fixing the half volume recording bug, IMO.
DJK 6:57 AM - 4 June, 2006
Bump
skinnyguy 9:34 PM - 4 June, 2006
ooh....didn't double check this yet and it just popped in my mind...in relation to using the flex fx to "punch in" fx, and making the flex fx button optional, how about just assigning it to the joystick options? or both latching option and joystick assign..
DJK 7:01 AM - 12 June, 2006
Bump again, any word on these mods?
s42000 3:48 AM - 16 June, 2006
*bump*

Nice ideas !
DJK 6:19 AM - 26 July, 2006
Well, come on mods, this mixer is not living up to it's potential, and the reasons I bought it are all broke...

Just a friendly reminder because the squeeky wheel gets the greese!
skinnyguy 8:44 PM - 26 July, 2006
Quote:
ooh....didn't double check this yet and it just popped in my mind...in relation to using the flex fx to "punch in" fx, and making the flex fx button optional, how about just assigning it to the joystick options? or both latching option and joystick assign..

update - make it assignable to the footswitch as well =)

mahalo =)
boabmatic 11:24 AM - 17 August, 2006
I'd like to see...

Effect Assign PGM 1/PGM 2 and effect ON to be assignable in group 1 & 2 also, preferably the foot switches...
gmobley 3:55 PM - 23 October, 2006
DJK, I'm onboard with your suggestions, same line as I was thinking after using the mixer a couple of days.

Really need to toggle what channel the effect is on using the foot pedal. - This way I could just leave the effect on and then active the channel when needed. Left swith = Left Side / Middle Swith = Send BPM / Right Swith = Right Side

Also being able to active the Flex effect on and off using the foot control would be great.

New Request - I would like to be able to assign the the pitch bend controls to the joysticks. Pushing up with nudge it up and pushing down with nude it down.

New Request - How about a mode where you could advance to your next available cue marker using the foot pedal?
vexkon 9:45 AM - 24 October, 2006
I think that assigning the flexfx to a footswitch is essential. If only we could have a midi output!!

Also I'm loving the advance cue marker via the foot pedal idea.
nik39 1:15 PM - 24 October, 2006
Quote:
I think that assigning the flexfx to a footswitch is essential

Agree fully.
DJK 2:56 PM - 24 October, 2006
I still cant believe it is 6 months latter and we still dont have This...
DJK 2:37 AM - 12 November, 2006
Almost 7 months, and we have gotten almost nothing new for the TTM57. Many of the reasons that people bought this product have become obsolete because they still have not been implememnted. I guess since there is no real compeditor to this product that Rane/SSL dosnt feel the need to get these things out in a timely manner. I can understand that some things are not easy to implement, but I have done alot of programming in my day, and you cannot tell me that adding the fx on switch from the mixer control surface to the footswitch is going to take this long. At this point it is really down to me as the consumer simply having to wait for a compeditor to awnser these issues and convert to there product, or wait for Rane to finally give us simple features that were promised when the 57 first dropped, or should have been a no duh kind of thing in the first place.

This mixer held so much promise at first, and I glady parted with $1200. Now I feel like I have been swindled.
skinnyguy 9:28 PM - 12 November, 2006
we're only on version 1.11 of the ttm57 software...hold on for a bit...i'm predicting ssl software 1.7 will bring 1.2.x for the ttm57 and i'm sure they will have some nice additions for us there.
DJK 5:52 AM - 13 November, 2006
I agree, but my point is the amount of time it is taking. I would rather pay a reasonable aount for updates so that SSL has a decent enough size staff to implement these changes in a timely manner. 7 months for an effect on button to be moved is not timely, it is rediculous.
boabmatic 12:03 PM - 13 November, 2006
if you check 1.6.3 public beta 1 the software now saves the effects settings and the joystick states so the updates are coming...

the last few releases have been aimed at getting bug fixes,improving handling of corrupt files etc.. and now GUI tweeks in 1.6.3.

you need a stable foundation before starting on adding new features,and as skinnyguy states I reckon that 1.7 will have a good few feature adds in it for the 57.
MrGoodie2shoes 7:53 AM - 14 November, 2006
I really need to be able to assign loop (trigger) to the joystick.. I am really surprised it is not already on there. If someone knows something I am doing wrong, please let me know.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:04 AM - 20 November, 2006
Hi DJK and all,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The long delay is due to the significant amount of work we have been doing to rearrange the internal workings of the TTM 57SL to get ready for the next lot of changes. It's taken a lot longer than we expected, which has meant that even some of the simple changes have taken a while.
We're sorry to have made you wait so long, the next changes are not far off, and the changes we have made will make it easier to add features in the future.
DJK 7:33 AM - 23 November, 2006
Thanks, I also recently saw your interview on scratchworx, and it has helped make me more patient.

Straight up, that is why at the end of the day I buy your products. No other company would get on their forum and give a no excuses, no bull shit apology/condolences like that.

Thanks for the good customer service, I look forward to the changes.
DJK 6:00 AM - 22 January, 2007
still dreaming about effect on with the foot switch. . .
nik39 6:25 AM - 22 January, 2007
Yah... at least twice a week.
DJK 10:54 PM - 25 February, 2007
Foot switch efx on.... PLEASE I AM BEGGING...
DJK 3:54 AM - 12 March, 2007
Another month and still no efx on... sigh
boabmatic 11:38 AM - 12 March, 2007
DJK ... your dream will be reality soon ...
DJ Stuart (AR) 6:34 PM - 27 March, 2007
link to Sam's interview?
Dizz 8:46 PM - 29 March, 2007
Yeah!
Need the foot switch flex fx capability!
DJK 9:56 PM - 31 March, 2007
boabmatic - I hope so, but until I hear it from the mods.....

DJ Stuart (AR)- Just go over to skratchworx, you cant miss it. Look for Rane Fest

Dizz - Yes

Serato/Mods - Looks like we will have had this mixer a whole year without allot of the things that were advertised at release implemented? I understand that some of the stuff is more complicated, and I also appreciate that you take time to do things right. But some stuff like efx on foot switch seems simple enough that I am really frustrated. I willing shelled out $1200 for this mixer, but in truth it hasn't done ANY of the things I bought it for.

Please take all comments in a posotive light, I am just trying to be posotive but still push for what alot of us need/expected.
nik39 8:45 PM - 1 April, 2007
Quote:
But some stuff like efx on foot switch seems simple enough that I am really frustrated.

Dito.
sliquid 12:11 AM - 3 April, 2007
That post from sam was in november, its now april (nearly six months ago). I share the same opinion as above - i bought this mixer for alot of the advertised featues that aren't yet intergrated (creating mixtapes easily and the effects) but both have yet to be fully sorted out. Bit dissapointed really no firmware update for the last 12mths i've had this mixer. what's the deal? are rane just concentrating on vista and 'overview builders' ???
whoami 1:29 AM - 3 April, 2007
no doubt... i could care less about video etc....
vexkon 7:36 AM - 3 April, 2007
I share the feelings with those in this thread. With all the other choices we have now with Torq and a new Tracktor ect. I'm finding it hard pressed to not just up and sell mine & get a cracking mixer with Torq.
DJ Stuart (AR) 4:49 PM - 3 April, 2007
I know they are taking waaaay too long but be patient or you'll regret it when 1.8 comes out.
cappinkirk 2:19 PM - 11 April, 2007
the best is explaining the benefits to people and when they ask "yeah but can it do this" you say something like "well they can release software upgrades...but they haven't yet so far...but they will...sometime...they said soon but that was in November...."
cappinkirk 2:19 PM - 11 April, 2007
don't get me wrong I'm maaaaaaaaaaaaad patient:)
nik39 2:22 PM - 11 April, 2007
MAkes perfect sense, cappingkirk. Seriously.
cappinkirk 5:45 PM - 12 April, 2007
its usually when i get to the part where I complain about the delay not being updated (with 100% or 3/4 delay) or having any EFX upgrades...but I know that Rane is on it.
DJK 10:20 PM - 16 April, 2007
will its a new month, got to put in my monthly what the f*** next month I will have posted every month since release, ALL I AM ASKING IS FOR EFX ON WITH THE FOOT SWITCH.
DJK 1:34 PM - 26 April, 2007
Thank you SSL. Squeaky wheel gets the grease even if it takes almost a year.
DJK 4:09 AM - 27 April, 2007
Loving this SOOOO much. Only gripe is we need to be able to assign it to the foot switch in our custom groups.
boabmatic 9:56 AM - 27 April, 2007
yeah I already reqested that :) once thats done I might even buy a new footpedal

currently only got a one button footswitch from an old tascam 4 track recorder.
DJ Geoff B 6:45 AM - 28 April, 2007
I just purchased my TTM-57SL and I'm trying to get accustomed to doing as much as possible from the mixer. The main problem with finding songs to play is this: depending on what I'm looking for, I might sort by Song name, BPM, or artist.

If I could program buttons on the mixer to change the column that determines the sort order, I'd save lots of time.
DJK 4:27 PM - 30 April, 2007
Geoff, you can easily fix that problem by how you make your crates, or itunes play lists. You could have lists that have the same music, then a differant sort order in each.

IE

Hip Hop (Artist)
Hip Hop (Track Title)
Hip Hop (Album)
Hip Hop (BPM)

Then you could scroll through the playlists with the left knob and tracks with the right. You may want to look into that as a solution, since that would meet your criteria of searching by different categories without having to taking your hands off the mixer.
cappinkirk 8:39 PM - 1 May, 2007
itunes playlists are not the move, they are too easy to delete in itunes and u can't undo it! i've deleted about 4 itunes playlists now and i quit using them.
dj dawn 10:32 AM - 6 May, 2007
Quote:
itunes playlists are not the move, they are too easy to delete in itunes and u can't undo it! i've deleted about 4 itunes playlists now and i quit using them.

I backup my entire iTunes library (songs, playlists, database...) on a daily basis. No problem then if you're a little bit to eager to delete things.
DJ Geoff B 7:19 AM - 12 May, 2007
DJK - Thanks for the suggestion... it works fine, just a little clumsy (lots of crates, plus I have to remember to put new additions into all the crates).
cappinkirk 6:29 PM - 24 May, 2007
its way more dynamic to use categories, genres and groups than it is to use crates. delete your crate and you are houston texas (screwed) but if you rename your category or genre it will always be associated with the file for searching.
AdamJay 8:03 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Ability to assign Full Left Pan and Full Right Pan to the Joystick
This would give me the most important feature I lost from the 56! I have a couple scratches I made up that use the pan fader!

Ability to assign Flex FX toggle to the footswitch
This way you could set up an effect on the Aux bus, and then use buttons 1 and 2 on the footswitch to apply the effect to either channel while keeping you hands free!

Ability to assign 'Effect On' to user groups 1 and 2 and the footswitch
So we can apply the effect while scratching! This is a huge oversight that alot of people say they really want! Adding it the group 1 and 2 would allow us to keep the features we use most on those groups so that you don't have to switch groups as much.

Ability to assign loop edit point to the joystick in user groups 1 and 2
This is so that I can keep the knobs as libray controls, but still fine edit loop in and loop out points in the same group.

YES!!!

I'm borrowing a friend's 57SL for a week while i decide if its the direction i need to go with a new mixer. I've gotten fast at switching between groups for FX, and i don't really need to look at the screen to know what i've got going on, but it would be infinitely more usable and enjoyable if FX functions were among the freely assignable commands for the first 2 groups.

More controls added to the Custom groups in general would be a huge improvement.
But until then i'll have to perfect my ninja skills in switching groups fast as lightening
Davinylslica 10:13 PM - 24 July, 2009
Quote:
will its a new month, got to put in my monthly what the f*** next month I will have posted every month since release, ALL I AM ASKING IS FOR EFX ON WITH THE FOOT SWITCH.

has this happened yet? If not...i am begging as well. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaasseee.