DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What's the difference? (RCF ART-732a vs RCF HD-32a)

DJ Tracktion 10:17 PM - 17 February, 2016
What's the difference? They look identical according to rcf website. Price is almost identical ($100 difference) so I don't think there is too much of a component difference. HD32's look better but that can't be the only difference, can it?

Anyone have any experience with both?
Joee 11:03 PM - 17 February, 2016
good question, not sure but i think they use the same horn driver

732 www.rcf.it

hd32 www.rcf.it

safe to assume they use the same amp module , only visible difference is the box ,full grill & powercon adapter

they may be tuned differently?
Rebelguy 11:07 PM - 17 February, 2016
The high frequency driver may be different. Definitely a different horn.
Joee 11:10 PM - 17 February, 2016
i don't why it didn't link the right page

look at the components tab for each speaker ,the horn driver looks identical
Rebelguy 2:33 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
i don't why it didn't link the right page

look at the components tab for each speaker ,the horn driver looks identical

Thr drivers may be the same (they don't list the model number for the HD32) but the actual horn is different. One has a 2" exit and the other is 1.4". The 732 also states the high frequency driver is neodymium. The HD32 does not. The HD32 is heavier so maybe it doesn't have neodymium drivers.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:58 AM - 18 February, 2016
Is one model older than the other?
Joee 12:18 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Thr drivers may be the same (they don't list the model number for the HD32) but the actual horn is different. One has a 2" exit and the other is 1.4". The 732 also states the high frequency driver is neodymium. The HD32 does not. The HD32 is heavier so maybe it doesn't have neodymium drivers.

horn drivers in both boxes

"At the core of HD 32-A design is the new ND 840 compression driver. The ND 840 large format compression driver delivers"

"DESCRIPTION
The ART 732-A with 12” woofer guarantees linear response and precise low- frequency control.
The ND 840 large-format titanium-dome compression driver is responsible for one of the key advantages of this product: the 3.0"

i'm guessing the low drivers & amps are the same too, I've spoken with them about the d line, i was told it's tuned differently "has a scoop eq" is what was said IE the smiley face eq

Quote:
Is one model older than the other?

732 is newer
DJ Tracktion 6:37 AM - 19 February, 2016
Weird they would have 2 almost identical speakers.
DJ Tracktion 6:28 PM - 19 February, 2016
Also, when pairing these tops up with a sub that isn't RCF (like a Kw181) how important would you say it is to use an external crossover?

I've heard people use a similar combo (tops and subs that neither had internal crossovers) and I can't say that I heard a negative impact from having the tops in full range and the subs doing their thing.

Anybody have an opinion on the rcf sub 708 as mkII or 705?

Ideally the HD32a plus kw181 would be main sound and yamaha dxr10's with a 15" sub would be a versatile back up/cocktail hr/monitor/smaller event system.

The kw 181 is good enough for my needs (size, sound, price) and the MC I work with for private events has 2 himself so we could then have 4 if needed for bigger events, teen events etc.

I couldn't find real world reviews on the sub 708 mkII. If it compared favorably with the kw181 then maybe I just go with that, or if not crossing over the HD32a's didn't matter then maybe stick with the kw 181's.

An external crossover isn't really something I want to add to my set-up If i can avoid it. Like most mobile guys I"m looking for easy in and set-up, easy out and break down...but that sounds good doing it :)

...and Joe, I'm not interested in the evox ;)

There's too many choices out there lol! Thanks for any insight!
Joee 7:51 PM - 19 February, 2016
problem with the RCF top box is they have no internal crossover / high pass filter

you would need to get a sub that output that ,just on the strength that the 708 is in a bigger box makes me think it will sound much better than the kw181

i compared a 15" rcf sub to the kw181 s1285.photobucket.com you could not tell the difference

i say if your getting rcf tops go for the 708mkII
DJ Tracktion 4:22 PM - 25 May, 2016
So anybody use the Art 708 mk2 8" speaker?

I'm looking for a multi purpose, ceremony speaker, small party (paired with a 12" or 15" sub) and monitor speaker. Hard to tell if these can be used in a wedge monitor positioning (on it's side, tilted up)

I know the k8 and dxr8 cannot be used this way but no where local has this rcf (even my local rcf dealers) and they weren't sure, it does have the same basic design as the ART 10", 12" and 15" speakers that can be sued this way so i'm hoping same is true with the 8".

Anyone with experience though?
JDforKing 5:03 PM - 25 May, 2016
Quote:
So anybody use the Art 708 mk2 8" speaker?

I'm looking for a multi purpose, ceremony speaker, small party (paired with a 12" or 15" sub) and monitor speaker. Hard to tell if these can be used in a wedge monitor positioning (on it's side, tilted up)

I know the k8 and dxr8 cannot be used this way but no where local has this rcf (even my local rcf dealers) and they weren't sure, it does have the same basic design as the ART 10", 12" and 15" speakers that can be sued this way so i'm hoping same is true with the 8".

Anyone with experience though?

A Yamaha dxr10 can be used as a wedge monitor. I have a pair of Yamaha dxr8s and a ev ekx15sp that I use for small to medium size wedding receptions and it sounds awesome and is easy to transport. I'll be purchasing another ekx15sp soon for larger events.
DJ Tracktion 8:44 PM - 25 May, 2016
Don't want a 10" speaker though (actually, if there was an ART 710, i'd consider it...not a fan of the art310 for this application).

I like the Dxr8 also (the whole dxr/dsr lines really) but going to have rcf subs so rather have it all match as well.

Just need to know if these art 708's can be used that way. I found one picture in a google image search of them used this way but it was really just some random picture and could've easily been an art 410/ 712 or whatever..
Sydney Schlepper 6:59 AM - 26 September, 2016
Don't know why guys must try to advise when they obviously haven't studied the factory description and specs. "The concept of this unique speaker (HD32-A) derives from the touring industry, bringing in a compact cabinet all the experience of the RCF professional sound". It's the same sound system as the ART732-A, but exactly 2 kg lighter (an obvious target metric), achieved by making the dimensions (HWD) 61mm, 57mm and 9mm less. As the 732 model was built to exacting specs to optimise (as far as possible) acoustic quality with internal phase correction of bass,the circuitry of the 32-A probably has a minor bass delay to return sound within the desired 180 degree return profile, and minor midrange and tweeter boosting to account for the smaller cabinet. In fact, you can see this if you compare the two curves for SPL versus frequency response. This gives an incidental win of a very marginally improved bass response on the 32-A, although synthetic. As it's virtually impossible to discern the 2-3 dB difference at 40-50 Hz, it doesn't matter. You chose between a sound quality difference which you won't hear in something which fits into a compact trunk with the keyboard alongside, or the original heavier version which you might struggle to pack and which might get you on the road to a hernia.
ChicagoPhil 10:43 PM - 21 May, 2017
Quote:
As it's virtually impossible to discern the 2-3 dB difference at 40-50 Hz, it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry, I have to take serious exception to this comment. A 3dB difference, is DOUBLE the volume. If you can't hear a difference between 2-3 dB, I respectfully suggest that you get your hearing checked. Having used both the ART line, and the HD32, my personal evaluation is the the HD32 is a far higher quality sound than the low-end ART line. The ART speakers I've had the (dis)pleasure of listening to were fine at low volumes, but a bit harsh and brittle on top. Push them too much, and they clip, distort, and sound... Not so good. On the other hand, I love my HD32's. Used one last night for a percussionist in a very loud latin band. I use it for a keyboard wedge frequently, and as mains. It's a great bang-for-the-buck speaker that sounds great, and blows away the K12, Mackie, JBL and similarly sized and powered 12s. If you want better, then you have to spend more $$ on a Meyer, Kv2, Fulcrum, or the like.
Rebelguy 11:05 PM - 22 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
As it's virtually impossible to discern the 2-3 dB difference at 40-50 Hz, it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry, I have to take serious exception to this comment. A 3dB difference, is DOUBLE the volume. If you can't hear a difference between 2-3 dB, I respectfully suggest that you get your hearing checked. Having used both the ART line, and the HD32, my personal evaluation is the the HD32 is a far higher quality sound than the low-end ART line. The ART speakers I've had the (dis)pleasure of listening to were fine at low volumes, but a bit harsh and brittle on top. Push them too much, and they clip, distort, and sound... Not so good. On the other hand, I love my HD32's. Used one last night for a percussionist in a very loud latin band. I use it for a keyboard wedge frequently, and as mains. It's a great bang-for-the-buck speaker that sounds great, and blows away the K12, Mackie, JBL and similarly sized and powered 12s. If you want better, then you have to spend more $$ on a Meyer, Kv2, Fulcrum, or the like.

I am sorry but you are wrong.

3 dB = twice the power (Power respectively intensity - mostly calculated)
6 dB = twice the amplitude (Voltage respectively sound pressure -
mostly measured)
10 dB = twice the perceived volume (Loudness nearly sensed psychoacoustics)

Also as someone who owned and sold the HD32A. I would take the Yamaha DSR112 or JBL SRX812p over it.
SG SOUNDS 12:35 AM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Blows away jbl??? obviously you never heard the jbl srx812
Rebelguy 1:07 AM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Blows away jbl??? obviously you never heard the jbl srx812

That's what I said also.
ChicagoPhil 1:14 AM - 23 May, 2017
Well, with all due respect guys, I may be wrong about the exact mathematical formula for dB perceived volume, amplitude, etc, but I stand by my point that 2-3dB is certainly audible, or should be to you as a sound guy. Also, if you like the sound of a JBL SRX, or the Yamaha over the HD32, bless you. Have at it. I personally think the HD sounds far better than either of these two speakers. And the TT22a even better. Better definition and clarity in the high and mids, better power handling at high SPL levels, etc. But I am approaching this from a pro audio point of view. I mix live bands, and I'm not a DJ. DJs have the luxury of playing already mixed, almost always highly compressed music (unless you care enough to run uncompressed music). For live music, vocal projection, separation, definition, I prefer the HD32, hands down. Including over the QSC K12.. I don't even think it's close. Of course if money was no object, it'd be Meyer or Kv2 over any of this stuff. I'm only using powered speakers anyway, as I'm getting too old to schlep my MacPherson M2X's and the Crown MA 3600x1200 amps around anymore. Those M2X's still rule ((1000w EVx, and 2" driver, bi amped, 800 Hz crossover)
DJ Tracktion 7:47 PM - 24 May, 2017
So I went with The HD 32-a and have nothing but good things to say about them - crisp, clear, great throw, sounds good when pushed - although I don't recall ever seeing the limiter light - so in reality they don't really need to be pushed. I do weddings but also mitzvahs which are at more of a club volume level.

I did end up pairing it with the kw181 sub and there are no discernible negatives from running them in "flat" without a crossover with these subs.

I ended up getting a pair of the Art708mk4's as well with the sub702asII and happy with those. Your not blowing any chests out with this sub, just nice sound paired together. You can use the 708's in wedge position and the rcf covers for these can open in the front, back and has a flap for the pole mount, comes in handy during any outside event (ceremony, cocktail hr) with a threat of any precipitation but also protects when using it in wedge position.

The HD32-a are very good speakers. They lack a little in the low end (k12 wins here) but they blow the k12 away with throw, clarity and sounding awesome when pushed as where the k12's get super harsh.

Quote:
The ART speakers I've had the (dis)pleasure of listening to were fine at low volumes, but a bit harsh and brittle on top. Push them too much, and they clip, distort, and sound... Not so good
- I did not notice this with the Art 745a's that I've used plenty of times - It's damn near impossible to make them clip and they don't break up. I can't imagine this being the case with the Art732 or 735 either. I haven't pushed the 708's to clip but maybe this could be the case as there is only so much you are going to get out of an 8' woofer and 1" driver.

All in all you can't go wrong with the HD32a. Happy with the purchase.
DJ Tracktion 7:49 PM - 24 May, 2017
One down side is the amp/mixer section is very limited compared to competitor boxes - no combo input, only one XLR in and 1 XLR out with a 1/4' out as well.
DjSamOmol 7:58 PM - 23 August, 2017
There is a new mk4 version for both these, and the specs are now more identical than the older version, from max spl, watts, to crossover point. Would be intresting to hear them both out