Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

El Capitan has been a nightmare with Serato DJ (NS7ii)

Official_Dutch 4:16 PM - 14 February, 2016
Started having issues with Serato DJ (Unexpected crashes "Serato DJ Quit Unexpectedly"). Was running a Mid 2009 Macbook Pro with 500g HD, 8g Ram, Duel Core 2 Processor. But my Macbook was old and using about 60-80 CPU usage. So yesterday the time came where I decided it was time to update the laptop. Purchased a new Macbook Pro, 8g ram, i5 Processor, 512g SSD.

A Time Machine backup within the hour put my entire computer onto my new laptop. Updated drivers, and Serato DJ since my laptop came with Capitan 11.11.2. Ran a test for about an hour at home with no issues at all.

Fast forward to my set later in the evening, system appeared to be running fine, but the waves seemed a little choppy and slow. Especially when setting loops. Then of course, right on cue at midnight, full dance floor, FULL AUDIO DROPOUT. No crash, no "unexpectedly quit", just spinning platters, running waves, with no sound at all.

This has to be a software issue. I played a song on my phone before restarting which was connected to my NS7ii and had no sound issues there. I don't think its the USB because I played for about 3 hours with great sound quality until the dropout. Later that night before bed I searched every forum to try to fix the issue. The only thing I thought of was updating the firmware (even though I do not run video or any add ons) thinking this might solve it. Nope. Did a test run on the deck and I'm hearing pops, distortions, and bad audio quality.

My last attempt will be today when I revert back to Yosemite. Hopefully this is the fix. IF ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCES THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I work in lounges and clubs 3-4 nights a week, and am now going into sets without any confidence in my technology.

In conclusion, given that my macbook pro was right out the box, brand spanking new. I have to put the fault on Serato DJ's compatibility with El Capitan. DO NOT UPDATE TO CAPITAN UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN TO WORK FLAWLESSLY!!!

***Not sure if this matters but buffers were set to 5 and screen updates set at 40***

(Will update my post after reverting back to Yosemite to see if this fixes the issue)
DJ Fluke 613 4:48 PM - 14 February, 2016
Downgrade to Yosemite. I had similar issues captain on my first 2 gigs using it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:05 PM - 14 February, 2016
What version of SDJ was you using as the loss of audio output was a know bug and fixed (So we are told anyway) in 1.8.1 also did you use the newest Driver from Numarks website. (Just checking)
Official_Dutch 6:13 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Downgrade to Yosemite. I had similar issues captain on my first 2 gigs using it.

I am currently trying to do so, but because I purchased the newest macbook pro with capitan installed, I keep getting a message "This OS is too old to be used on this computer" when trying to reboot (restart + option) and selecting the Yosemite Installer (via separate external drive). Currently waiting on phone to speak with Apple Care to see if there is a way around this. Had to get a friend to cover my set tonight because I just don't trust it. Next set isn't till Thursday and have a feeling I'll be trouble shooting this all week.
Official_Dutch 6:15 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
What version of SDJ was you using as the loss of audio output was a know bug and fixed (So we are told anyway) in 1.8.1 also did you use the newest Driver from Numarks website. (Just checking)

Yep. I was using the current 1.8.1 when I received the audio dropout and then starting getting the distortion and poor sound quality after updating the firmware.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:36 PM - 14 February, 2016
This controller has been doomed! No end of long standing issues. Shame really.
Official_Dutch 6:56 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:

I feel like it's not the controller though, rather than an issue with Serato DJ. I been using the controller since last January (2015) and never had any dropouts, distortion, crashes, with Lion and Yosemite. The issue clearly lies with Serato DJ's inability to run efficiently with El Capitan.

Also....after speaking with AppleCare for an hour...

There is no way to install Yosemite on a new Macbook Pro that came out the factory with Capitan. Now I'm in a position to return this for an older model that had Yosemite...but the frustration in that is that they do not come with a SSD (which I wanted if I was upgrading my old 2009 MBP).

Really in a tough spot. I need Serato to fix these kinks in the system and fast,
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:58 PM - 14 February, 2016
The guy you spoke to is talking crap go into am apple store loads of people on hear have had Yosemite put on by Apple as a new Mac model has not come out since the release of el calital they was released with Yosemite.

Ow ya the issues are most likly on seratos side as they have all been so far.

Hope you get to the bottom of it tho.
teemac111 8:35 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:

Nah..mine works fine.You just have to disable PnT forever,calibrate b4 live gigs & turn off all unnessecary background stuff
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:49 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Nah..mine works fine.You just have to disable PnT forever,calibrate b4 live gigs & turn off all unnessecary background stuff

So doomed then as no other hardware you would need todo that.
teemac111 9:02 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So doomed then as no other hardware you would need todo that.

No other controller has spinning platters..its a big difference.Im fine with mine
teemac111 9:04 PM - 14 February, 2016
And btw..PnT causes glitches on ANY controller,not just the NS7
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:06 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
And btw..PnT causes glitches on ANY controller,not just the NS7

Works fine on all hardware i use apart from ns7ll
teemac111 9:09 PM - 14 February, 2016
Your lucky..Ive had pops and drop outs after a few songs with it engaged on my SX2,NS72& my 57/62 with 3900s combo..I gave up on using it a while ago
Official_Dutch 11:37 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

How do u disable PnT?
AddamXavier 12:15 AM - 15 February, 2016
I have an older Mac, but i would made a Genius Bar appointment and confirm that they can put Yosemite on it. The downgrade process for me was super painless (obv had to reinstall/restore backups, but not that big a deal). Just told them i wanted to downgrade and they started immediately, no questions.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do u disable PnT?

Setup > Expansion Packs > Pitch 'n Time DJ and uncheck 'Enable Pitch 'n Time DJ'
DJ Fluke 613 12:30 AM - 15 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I feel like it's not the controller though, rather than an issue with Serato DJ. I been using the controller since last January (2015) and never had any dropouts, distortion, crashes, with Lion and Yosemite. The issue clearly lies with Serato DJ's inability to run efficiently with El Capitan.

Really in a tough spot. I need Serato to fix these kinks in the system and fast,

I believe it's more of a Numark driver issue. Even if the firmware has a touch strip issue. I believe that's why the ns7 3 was released. Its class compliant (no drivers) and I beleive this is how they will manufacturer going forward. Think about it why would they release an exact duplicate on esthetics and add stupid screens that can be purchased for the previous model that makes it identical in looks.

Not ever has a company released back to back flagships in so little time, especially if they are the same thing. Some things on the inside must of been addressed. I was the one who discovered the random skip forward or backward back in 2014. Took me a god damn year to address, which til today the solution was to disable touch strip. They used cheep parts. A lot of issue people have are related to their computers. These ns72 issues are Numark related. GUARANTEED the 3 has no drop out issues, nor skipping issue, the way it communicates was changed, and changed for a reason.
DJ Fluke 613 12:31 AM - 15 February, 2016
Sorry on the first line I meant the new firmware has a touch strip issue.
pdidy 1:27 AM - 15 February, 2016
Official_Dutch there are far too many variables to blame your issues on any one possibility so lets skip that for now.

Though it goes 100% against professional dj ethics for you to preform with this laptop tonight, you can potentially be up and running in less than an hour by simply partitioning your internal hard-drive and installing Yosemite on. Watchwww.youtube.com
Official_Dutch 3:37 AM - 15 February, 2016
Wasn't aware of the strip search issue. I disabled it because I rarely will use that anyway. I also didn't see PitchNTime in my expansion pack but I did make sure the 'enable Serato Video' box was unchecked. Just did a test run with latest firmware and latest Capitan update.

Ran the deck for four hours, didn't receive any choppy waveforms or audio dropouts. I did notice a click or two but nothing too severe.

I'll continue to do 3-4 hour test runs for the rest of the week leading to the next set on Thursday.
Official_Dutch 5:43 PM - 18 February, 2016
Haven't heard from Serato about the matter yet, but I've been doing some test runs over the last few days without any issues. I did however notice the choppy waveforms came back today which isn't a great sign but wasn't happening too frequently. Still a concern. Would anyone recommend restarting this software during a set (ex: play one song off their phone) if I'm experiencing the choppy waves because it will in fact lead to an audio dropout? Just curious. Or do the choppy waveforms tend to just happen and has no relation to the dropout.

Once again my specs are:
2015 Macbook Pro w/ Retina 8g Ram 512gb SSD / 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5
with Capitan 10.11.2 with latest firmware and latest serato DJ update

My buffer is set on 5ms & my screen updates are at 40.
DJ Heir-Raid 5:58 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I believe it's more of a Numark driver issue. Even if the firmware has a touch strip issue. I believe that's why the ns7 3 was released. Its class compliant (no drivers) and I beleive this is how they will manufacturer going forward. Think about it why would they release an exact duplicate on esthetics and add stupid screens that can be purchased for the previous model that makes it identical in looks.

Not ever has a company released back to back flagships in so little time, especially if they are the same thing. Some things on the inside must of been addressed. I was the one who discovered the random skip forward or backward back in 2014. Took me a god damn year to address, which til today the solution was to disable touch strip. They used cheep parts. A lot of issue people have are related to their computers. These ns72 issues are Numark related. GUARANTEED the 3 has no drop out issues, nor skipping issue, the way it communicates was changed, and changed for a reason.

Just for the record...the NS7 2 & 3 look alike but are different and the 3 does experience audio drop outs and crashes and does the whole slipmode without you being in slip-mode. Lol