DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Pyro

Scully DJ Services 3:16 AM - 12 February, 2016
Just downloaded this app on my iPhone and I'm pretty impressed. For what it is, it does a very good job of simple transitions from song to song. Has anyone else tried it, and if so what are your thoughts? Also, would any mobile guys consider using it for dinner music at an event or even as a last resort backup if all of your gear magically broke?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:46 AM - 12 February, 2016
This a game changer. When bar owners get hold of this it's a wrap.
Scully DJ Services 4:27 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
This a game changer. When bar owners get hold of this it's a wrap.

I can kind of agree with that. I bet this will exponentially increase the amount of 'DJs' in the the world. On the plus side though, at least it can actually mix and won't get booted of the stage unlike KidX *shots fired*
Dj Wunder 4:27 AM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Just downloaded this app on my iPhone and I'm pretty impressed. For what it is, it does a very good job of simple transitions from song to song. Has anyone else tried it, and if so what are your thoughts? Also, would any mobile guys consider using it for dinner music at an event or even as a last resort backup if all of your gear magically broke?

Backup? No. But dinner and background? 100%
dj jamalot 5:25 AM - 12 February, 2016
Man i just tried it and it is the Bizness... i have a ton of playlists on my phone i picked one thru it in a low to high bpm order and pyro did the rest it has some decent transitions, better than waiting for the next song to start after a fade. Cocktail hour can be fun again :-)
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:29 PM - 12 February, 2016
I don't have an iPhone, how does it handle all those BPM that serato gets wrong eg a song that is 120bpm but Serato gives a 90bpm reading?

Is it a different engine? And If it handles song analysis better than SDJ then I presume another SDJ code rewriting might be on the horizon...leading to another plethora of bugs etc

Time to go look for my old IPad and try it out.
dj jamalot 1:01 PM - 12 February, 2016
I used Megaseg for this before now my phone can handle it I really like this app! It even did a echo hold type of effect... Serato's doin tha most!
DJ GOODFOOT 2:20 PM - 12 February, 2016
It's cool but depressing that another technological advance is aimed at eliminating jobs. Weddings, corporate parties, bars, gone. There's already no more record or movie stores providing incomes, we have self checkout at grocery stores and online retail sites like Amazon and Alibaba are squeezing out brick and mortar businesses in local neighborhoods. With all these jobs getting automated or shifted to online retail, I wonder what people are going to do in 10-20 years for work. The bigger picture is scary...and I miss record stores.
dj jamalot 2:30 PM - 12 February, 2016
A good DJ cannot be replaced with an app... I embrace technology everything must change nothing stays the same I miss record stores as well I come from the era when if you had the music collection you was that guy but this all changed with the digital age, now anyone can be a DJ and if you are still in the game after 37 years (me) you must be doing something right. Whenever I feel nostalgic and miss "Vinyls" I visit my storage.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:56 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
A good DJ cannot be replaced wth an app

I strongly disagree. In most places good djs have already been replaced by cheap shitty djs and those djs can easily be replaced by an app.
dj jamalot 3:18 PM - 12 February, 2016
With that being said if this app could take my place i'll gladly let it i haven't had a weekend off in 10 years let the robots run the show i'm going to Disneyland.
577er 3:21 PM - 12 February, 2016
This is kinda dope. From the looks of it the only DJs that need worry are the ones playing songs straight through with minimal crossfades who don't read the crowd etc... I'd agree dinner & cocktail hour just got way more interesting.
DJ GOODFOOT 3:33 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
A good DJ cannot be replaced wth an app

I strongly disagree. In most places good djs have already been replaced by cheap shitty djs and those djs can easily be replaced by an app.

Truth ^^^
There will always be people that will pay for quality, but the majority will try to find the cheapest option that will work. Also, many of the gigs that will go away are the kind that younger DJs used to take to get experience. Moving forward, how can a beginner DJ argue to get paid against a free app that does the same job? On top of that, if bars and small venues switch to an app based music provider to save money on turntable, mixer, and CDJ maintenance then that beginner DJ is going to have to bring their own equipment (for free) just to get "exposure and experience".

I'll download the app as a fallback if my laptop or hard drive crashes completely but I'm not excited about the direction where this is going.
Mr. Goodkat 4:20 PM - 12 February, 2016
in my area(large city, not coastal, but top 10 city, top 5 metro area), dj's have only really been playing in smaller bars(instead of clubs or dancehalls) for about 20 years en masse. im sure a few smaller places had them, but every bar/sports bar/lounge didnt have djs.

in the last 10 years with dvs systems, this has changed as more people can dj easily and cheap and the paradigm of having a dj in a small bar has shifted.

id say a lot of these gigs are unnecessary and personally i think its worse for beginning djs. Most of these places(speaking of the states) have guys bringing whole setups for small money, which kills the income for established working djs for several reasons.

First, they are bringing 1000s of dollars of gear for a dj fee only price. The bars and clubs in the past ( i started getting paid in 2000) already had gear and you brought records, needles(were in the club but most have preference), slip mats, record brush, headphones for X amount and the gear/sound was provided. Occasionally you might have to bring something if the mixer, tt or monitor was out, but for the most part you brought the music and dj accessories, club supplied the gear. Now its do all that, and bring all the gear for the same price as a dj fee. The problem with this is that people think across the board that thats what we should do and get paid the same or less than i did 16 years ago when i started.

Second, a lot of these gigs are for owners who arent about a dj as much as a promoter, and its basically cheap entertainment for crowds, ofter, who care nothing about music and/or a dj playing music. Playing at the local sports bar might get you 50-100$ but its not going to help you become a good dj for anything other than doing other crap gigs and certainly not for when you play a set for people wanting to dance and/or hear anything outside of pure pop garbage. If you want to be a corporate/wedding/sports bar dj i guess thats cool, but if you have any aspirations outside of that area, its really just bad training.

The most important places for djs, imo, are places where djs are needed intrinsically (nightclubs/open areas with dancefloors and soundsystems) and not to be in these small time gigs, faux dj aesthetic retail stores, and sports bars with people eating wings and fries and trying to get a 60 oz beer with a tap on it.

long live pulse and the demise of the dibby dj.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:42 PM - 12 February, 2016
I think one of the greatest problems in the dj community is that most, prob 85%, djs drastically overestimate their skill level or overvalue their worth. Right now on my newsfeed im seeing djs who cant mix soda and ice preaching about how they cant be replaced by this app. Really? "This app cant do scratches like me"...dude ive seen you live you baby scratching in the downbeat of your extended intro mix on every song wont be missed. "This app cant replace my creativity"....dude your entire set is the billboard top 50. "This app cant replace my live performance"...you have one beat juggle that you perform every week to the same song and you still fuck it up 26% of the time. "This app cant rock a crowd like me" ....dude you took a night off last week and had a noob fill in and the crowd didnt notice.

Its like ive been saying, everytime theres an advancment towards replacing the dj a great number of them laugh at it and how it will never replace them but they ignore the fact that with each iteration it IS advancing toward that goal. First it was CDJs with the bpm readout and steady hold. Djs said itll never replace me, they still have to beatmatch (but more people got into the game and the bar dropped a bit). Then serato and traktor came in and made it THAT much easier with waveforms and full library's and djs said well they still have to know how to mix (but more people got in and the bar got lower). Then controllers made it cheap and added sync and djs said well they still have to know when and where to mix (but more people got in and the bar was lowered). Now this app does it for you and djs move on to another excuse about why itll never replace em (yet more and more people are in and the bars near the floor). Now I agree these things will never replace a tier 1 dj like ztrip or atrak......but I hate to break this to ya but most of yall aint them.

You know who I do see this app working out well for, hot chicks. I know a ton of top tier venues who are dripping at the teeth to a smoking hot chick up on that stage but they cant find one proficient enough to handle double duty. Ive personally been approached by chicks wanting me to make mixs for them to fake to and i have friends at big venues who have been straight up asked to make mixs for chicks to essentially take their night. Im sure this will help out the celebrity "Ill "dj" your club for a 100,000 appearance fee" market as well.
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
It's cool but depressing that another technological advance is aimed at eliminating jobs.

This.
Mr. Goodkat 6:08 PM - 12 February, 2016
if this app replaces you, you weren't needed in the first place.
Gio Alex 6:27 PM - 12 February, 2016
^^This guy. Always with the extremes. I do agree with you though.

But the app is still a problem, regardless. For obvious reasons. Some people don't know quality until they have something to compare it to. There are those cases.
Joee 6:59 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Also, would any mobile guys consider using it for dinner music at an event or even as a last resort backup if all of your gear magically broke?

yes
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:01 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:

A) Djs are NEEDED in most places, that dosent change the fact they exist and need places to play and grow.

B) Even if you are correct here, my point is, what about the next app and the next app and the next app. Your comment is EXACTLY what im talking about in my post
Gio Alex 8:14 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

A) Djs are NEEDED in most places, that dosent change the fact they exist and need places to play and grow.

B) Even if you are correct here, my point is, what about the next app and the next app and the next app. Your comment is EXACTLY what im talking about in my post

Boom!
Mr. Goodkat 8:53 PM - 12 February, 2016
i always feel like a dj is needed everywhere, just not to dj.

there are tons of places that would be better off financially by hiring a dj to do playlists and consult rather than actually physically dj.
Gio Alex 9:14 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:

there are tons of places that would be better off financially by hiring a dj to do playlists and consult rather than actually physically dj.

This is true, although it gets into this dangerous territory where it can be abused. It's all innocent at first till it becomes a problem. It may not replace a dj where a dj may or may not be needed, but I can see where let's say a bar owner might wanna pay a dj even less, saying something like, "well, technically I can just use pyro so take it or leave it.

It's just not as black and white as you paint it. Quick question (out of curiosity), do you live in U.S. or overseas?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:43 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:

I would argue that in this scenario a dj isnt even needed. Most basic chicks that ive run into can put together a playlist that girls will love better than most male djs and a good experienced bartender can usually gauge what tracks work for their establishment
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:49 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This is true, although it gets into this dangerous territory where it can be abused. It's all innocent at first till it becomes a problem. It may not replace a dj where a dj may or may not be needed, but I can see where let's say a bar owner might wanna pay a dj even less, saying something like, "well, technically I can just use pyro so take it or leave it.

That actually happened to me. I worked at a spot a few years ago that was the largest (physically) venue in the city and thus was paid very handsomly. The venue was bought out after the owner got tired of dealig with the hastle of running it. I hit up the new owner and offered my services/gave a prive and was laughed at. He told me he had the biggest venue in the city so people aregoing to come regardless, theres no reason to pay me anything when he can just run a playlist. He has a guy come in and run mixmiester all night and the place stays packed. Now, did that put me out of a job? No, i was hit up later that week by someone who thinks the "look" of a dj on "real equipment" is an asset to a venue and ive been working steady but i def took a hit in salary on it.
Gio Alex 9:53 PM - 12 February, 2016
Quote:
That actually happened to me. I worked at a spot a few years ago that was the largest (physically) venue in the city and thus was paid very handsomly. The venue was bought out after the owner got tired of dealig with the hastle of running it. I hit up the new owner and offered my services/gave a prive and was laughed at. He told me he had the biggest venue in the city so people aregoing to come regardless, theres no reason to pay me anything when he can just run a playlist. He has a guy come in and run mixmiester all night and the place stays packed. Now, did that put me out of a job? No, i was hit up later that week by someone who thinks the "look" of a dj on "real equipment" is an asset to a venue and ive been working steady but i def took a hit in salary on it.

And this is exactly what I mean. People just wanna be like well if you're good or great you don't have to worry. That's not necessarily true because sometimes you're dealing with people that may not understand the value of actually have a professional DJ. Some people get, others don't. So things like this do affect us all.
deejdave 2:18 AM - 13 February, 2016
Has nobody here ever heard of Pacemaker for iOS?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:43 AM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
I think one of the greatest problems in the dj community is that most, prob 85%, djs drastically overestimate their skill level or overvalue their worth.

Man if this isn't the damn truth.
dj jamalot 5:43 AM - 13 February, 2016
i thought this was about an app... i've been letting it play in my car and it is really ok, will def work for cocktail hour. as far as replacing DJ's not in my venue because i do lot's more than play music if this app could mix video's i'd hire it.
dj jamalot 5:46 AM - 13 February, 2016
Right now i'm doing an open Mic / Karaoke the app can't do that... besides i got a year left on my 5 year contract we're negotiating another 5.
Mr. Goodkat 3:50 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:

i had a pacemaker(not the heart thing, but the little hand held dj thing, which was genius btw)

its the same people if im not mistaken.
Mr. Goodkat 3:52 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

so like i said, if you can be replaced by a playlist they probably dont need a dj.
DEE JAY 360 6:24 PM - 13 February, 2016
Great app!! Has anyone experienced a train wreck mix tho? Sometimes the mixes come in on the wrong count and sounds horrible. May even cut off a portion of the song. Is there an adjustment I can make?
deejdave 6:49 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i had a pacemaker(not the heart thing, but the little hand held dj thing, which was genius btw)

its the same people if im not mistaken.

It is and for iOS (iPhone) the app is almost identical to Pyro but add FX (paid expansions). For iOS (iPad) they add a basic crossfader etc. They are actually still in Beta themselves and things are pretty decent over there as well. I prefer Pyro as it is by my Fav team! LOL.

These apps are by NO means a replacement for a DJ. They are great for listening to but there is almost little to no energy as at the end of the day it is still a playlist powered jukebox. This is pretty much Winamp capabilities from back in the day for mobile with the addition of streaming. Furthermore VDJ (content unlimited) , Djay Pro (Spotify), DJ Player Pro (Deezer), Mixvibes (Soundcloud), Pulselocker, Djay 2 (Spotify), PCDJ (Pulselocker) and Rekordbox DJ (pulselocker) all offer/will offer the same exact thing give or take some advanced mixing/syncing capabilities.

As a matter of fact Flow8Deck (MIK), and Traktor are the only DJ apps I can think of that do not offer streaming. Mixxx does not either but due to its open source nature I am sure it will not be far behind.
pdidy 8:32 AM - 15 February, 2016
Quote:
Great app!! Has anyone experienced a train wreck mix tho? Sometimes the mixes come in on the wrong count and sounds horrible. May even cut off a portion of the song. Is there an adjustment I can make?

No but you can press the load/mix button twice to stop the train wreck.....
pdidy 9:26 AM - 15 February, 2016
Serato Pyro + Airplay (Air express $99) = Wireless streaming of music from Iphone/Ipad to your sound system/Mixer/powered speaker without being tethered to a wire.
AKIEM 4:08 PM - 15 February, 2016
$99 wow
Scully DJ Services 12:13 AM - 16 February, 2016
Ok, so after using this app for a bit, I have found that many of the transitions are phrased badly and most 1s don't line up which makes it sound very wonky. Also, it struggles with music that isn't in 4/4, so any 6/8 stuff has been really oddly transitioned for me. While this for sure isn't the replacement *yet* for a real DJ, I do see its potential and will be using it for dinner music at all of m upcoming gigs.
pdidy 1:19 AM - 16 February, 2016
Ive been using this app for 2 days now and in my opinion it scores High grades for it "intended Use". Its definitly my favorite app for day to day listening on headphones, in car or at home on Bluetooth speakers.

This app will get good use at my Free, family and low priority for skill type events.

For professional dj purposes I will use it for early warmup when im setting up, sound checking and no clients have arrived. I will also use it as my in case of emergency remote/wireless Backup for short term issues.

But of course amateur dj's and civilians will attempt to use this app in low level dj situations where its performance will vary from good to shit-da-bed depending on genre. This app will do good in House like genres where low skilled dj's are acceptable. While is BPM detection is generally on point with the 120+ house genres but its phasing is totally unacceptable in any pro dj situation.

For 60bpm to less than 120bpm genres like hiphop, top 40, R&B, Reggae, Latin this app is pretty shitty but that is to be expected. If you play these genres you already know Sync/Beatgrid Algorithm's have always been shitty in these bpm ranges and advancements are extremely slow. My guess it will take at least another 5 years before these Algorithm's are perfected at a highly reliability for Hophop, top 40, R&B, Reggae, Latin type genres.

But strictly House music dj's, yall can start worrying now because it wont be long before they master the phasing Algorithm in 4X4 beats....lol
AKIEM 2:22 AM - 16 February, 2016
So then this up can DJ better than some DJs.

from the gate
Dj_Nix 4:04 AM - 16 February, 2016
Virtual DJ had this feature like 10 years ago. Would automix from a playlist you made, transition and all. Nothing new here.
pdidy 4:13 AM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Virtual DJ had this feature like 10 years ago. Would automix from a playlist you made, transition and all. Nothing new here.

vdj could do this on you phone 10 years ago ?

Ive never used Vdj for more than 10minute so this is all new to me.
deejdave 4:15 AM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

Not entirely true as there are SOME new features as this will now add music that is not even in your playlist that you may have not even heard of. Again just another reason why this is great for listening and finding new music but ONCE AGAIN this is not even in the realms of a DJ app to begin with.

As seen by using it they went with the tinder approach and feel as to be relevant in the times we are in. Self entertainment and trying new things............. just like tinder as well LOL.
pdidy 4:15 AM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

House music ? yes, absolutely...
deejdave 4:48 AM - 16 February, 2016
Some? Sure. Then again I would throw those quotes in on and around that term "DJ's" there as there is literally SOOO much missing. This is simple beat matching and A/B mixing. No REAL looping, no REAL layering, no custom FX etc. Maybe some will be worried but TBH (and I promise I am not trying to sound mean) I am not worried any more than I am by these same "some".
AKIEM 4:54 AM - 16 February, 2016
apps will improve quicker than DJs.

matter of fact DJs are loosing skills

sure, we can keep changing who gets the "" around DJ
(till no ones left without those quotes lol)
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:25 AM - 16 February, 2016
Tried it with an Afrobeat playlist ...train wrecked all the time.

DJs should not feel threatened by this app. I can't remember the last time I heard the full length of a song before transitioning into the next track. Hell there are songs i haven't got a clue what the second and third verse sounds like.

It definitely has its usefulness (warm up, family bbq, setting up time etc) and in those situation I will rather play gap less (zero dead space between track +/- drop on one) than to train wreck.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:36 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Tried it with an Afrobeat playlist ...train wrecked all the time.

DJs should not feel threatened by this app. I can't remember the last time I heard the full length of a song before transitioning into the next track. Hell there are songs i haven't got a clue what the second and third verse sounds like.

It definitely has its usefulness (warm up, family bbq, setting up time etc) and in those situation I will rather play gap less (zero dead space between track +/- drop on one) than to train wreck.

I'm sure it's shit with Bossanova & Waltz too. For a small bar or venue where it is just basically background music this is a win. Especially if they can have patron get the songs they want played. They will not care about a trainwrecks.
Gio Alex 4:43 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

from the gate

Most. lol in today's shitpool
Gio Alex 4:44 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

House music ? yes, absolutely...

DEAD!
DJ Irv 4:55 PM - 16 February, 2016
In NY i have seen DJ's at major venues that can not dj at all. They had a girl at The PARK that couldn't spin her way out of wet paper bag. That venue needed PYRO. These sucka DJ's are really going to have to step their game up.
Gio Alex 4:58 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
In NY i have seen DJ's at major venues that can not dj at all. They had a girl at The PARK that couldn't spin her way out of wet paper bag. That venue needed PYRO. These sucka DJ's are really going to have to step their game up.

All of this.

But I have seen some popular rapper turned DJs (ain't naming names) completely trainwreck at big venues, but because you're dealing with a crowd that are (1st) fans, and then (2nd) drunk and don't know any better.
Gio Alex 4:59 PM - 16 February, 2016
They don't tend to notice, I meant to add on.
DJ Irv 5:06 PM - 16 February, 2016
Traktor has had the ability to autonomously if you set mix in / mix out cues for songs but, this is annoying to setup and besides Paris Hilton's faked sets I never seen it used.
Gio Alex 5:10 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Traktor has had the ability to autonomously if you set mix in / mix out cues for songs but, this is annoying to setup and besides Paris Hilton's faked sets I never seen it used.

LOL she uses traktor?
DJ Irv 5:15 PM - 16 February, 2016
When I saw a video of her spinning she was using Traktor. Probably because the whole set could be programmed by her ghost DJ and automated to mix in and out of songs.

I actually use Traktor at home and ScrathLive out. Paris Hilton needs PYRO.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:19 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
but because you're dealing with a crowd that are (1st) fans, and then (2nd) drunk and don't know any better.

Quote:

This is what everybody is overlooking.
Gio Alex 5:28 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
but because you're dealing with a crowd that are (1st) fans, and then (2nd) drunk and don't know any better.

Quote:

And also they're slammin/droppin' hits that cater to that specific demographic. I've seen it happen so many times. "Yo DJ So and so had the illest set last night!!" Then me and my homegirl will look at each other like that set sounded like a drum set falling down a set of stairs. lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:30 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

And also they're slammin/droppin' hits that cater to that specific demographic. I've seen it happen so many times. "Yo DJ So and so had the illest set last night!!" Then me and my homegirl will look at each other like that set sounded like a drum set falling down a set of stairs. lol

And there you have it.
popnwave 5:47 PM - 16 February, 2016
Screw small bars anyway. Too many fools working for a bar tab and calling themselves a DJ.

Anyway about the app, does nice with tracks +-8 % of each other. Cute little echo out on the ones it can't match. Doesn't do well with songs with looong fade outs (noticed this on 80s songs I had in a Spotify playlist). Cute, interesting, DJ replacement? Only if you completely stink, and that has been said about everything from Winamp to iTunes, to now Pyro.

THE SKY IS ALWAYS FALLING for some of you scrubs. SMH
DJ Irv 5:54 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
THE SKY IS ALWAYS FALLING for some of you scrubs. SMH

Somebody had to say it.
Mr. Goodkat 5:55 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway. Too many fools working for a bar tab and calling themselves a DJ.

this
Gio Alex 6:12 PM - 16 February, 2016
LOL... that's funny

Hey I'm not worried, I get paid regardless. I'm just sharing points.
djsmuve415 6:14 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

Unfortunately, it is all thats left in certain cities and places.
Gio Alex 6:16 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

Yeah, some people eat off of those gigs.
Mr. Goodkat 6:25 PM - 16 February, 2016
as long as you are getting paid well and music is part of the atmosphere, that means they respect and do want you there.

i do think the drink tab type bars where music is just an afterthought and the dj is there to play current pop hits, those bars will pyro.

what it will take is a company that has a nationwide system and salesmen to push these systems to owners and managers. im not sure if that quite exists yet.

the one i always bring up is BOSE. they tried to break into the club/bar market about 6-7 years ago and started giving out their own little club systems to different bars(of course they were stamped with huge bose logos that were easy to see). They did decent with getting them in there, but they were just not very good systems. The one i saw was severely underpowered for the room. id say it was about 1/4 of what they need. anyway, someone must have been pushing that, so if a company was to start giving an automated system, and start marketing and promoing, it could work pretty well.

someone should now go make millions or at least scam millions from that idea.

personally, im too lazy.
Gio Alex 6:28 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
The one i saw was severely underpowered for the room. id say it was about 1/4 of what they need.

I recall seeing/hearing a lot of spots with those underpowered systems.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:32 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

Quote:

Truth
Mr. Goodkat 6:33 PM - 16 February, 2016
some bose rep had to pushing those. so if a pyro type app could be nationwide marketing and the correct support staff it could take some places.

i just dont think that they would take the time to really get djs to curate what should play.

probably one of the dj pools would be the obvious move, since they are already uploading new music weekly.
popnwave 9:16 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

If you're getting paid in a bar tab, that's not much to eat. You should be getting a % of sales when you work for a bar as a DJ, if they don't charge cover. If you can't get that, the bar is disrespecting you and is no better than getting paid chump change as a fry boy at McDonald's.

There was a time I could VJ one night a week and live great as a bachelor. It took years but I have a career now and still do gigs on the side for fun and to reinvest into the hobby. DJ'ing is not a career unless you run a proper business with it (think of the big names in the industry like pro NFL or MLB players, they are the 1%) and can make enough to pay bills, save for retirement. If you're scraping by you better be looking for something else.

This all comes back around to Pyro. If you see this as your competition you have marketed yourself incorrectly or you should not be in this industry. TouchTunes and any other jukebox came way before this and actually generates bar revenue, unlike Pyro. Why would they replace that with Pyro?

Find a mentor and realign your priorities if Pyro scares you in any way. It will make your life easier in the long run.
Gio Alex 9:33 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
If you're getting paid in a bar tab, that's not much to eat. You should be getting a % of sales when you work for a bar as a DJ, if they don't charge cover. If you can't get that, the bar is disrespecting you and is no better than getting paid chump change as a fry boy at McDonald's.

There was a time I could VJ one night a week and live great as a bachelor. It took years but I have a career now and still do gigs on the side for fun and to reinvest into the hobby. DJ'ing is not a career unless you run a proper business with it (think of the big names in the industry like pro NFL or MLB players, they are the 1%) and can make enough to pay bills, save for retirement. If you're scraping by you better be looking for something else.

This all comes back around to Pyro. If you see this as your competition you have marketed yourself incorrectly or you should not be in this industry. TouchTunes and any other jukebox came way before this and actually generates bar revenue, unlike Pyro. Why would they replace that with Pyro?

Find a mentor and realign your priorities if Pyro scares you in any way. It will make your life easier in the long run.

First off, I'd like to say that I agree with almost everything on here, if not all.

I'd also like to add that I hope you're generally speaking and not to me directly because some of the points I mentioned are speaking for others and not me. LOL Just to be clear.

I've been doing this for a long time. I have a full-time great paying job that keeps me so busy that I don't take any DJ jobs that are under a certain amount because it's a waste of my time. I have very little free time. Djing is a side gig, long time passion, hobby for years and these days If I'm not seeing a couple grand a month for a couple gigs I don't do it. I know my value and skill.

Moving forward, being from NYC, I don't know anyone personally that is NOT "getting a % of sales when you work for a bar as a DJ, if they don't charge cover." In fact, that's pretty standard here. If you have a good relationship with the place and are seasoned, at times you can even charge a flat rate that supasses the bar's percentage at the end of the night. I've done this before for out-of-state gigs.

Better bar gigs or hotels lounges can pay up to 350-500 for a night. Now, if you're doing this full time. 3-4 days/nights a week, that's actually that bad at all. Even on the low end of 350 and 3 nights you're still looking at 1050. Now, I would assume that some of those places see and understand the value of a dj, so there'd be no question of something like pyro getting in competition with this DJ we're theoretically speaking of. However, there are time when establishments switch management (like mentioned before), and that management may not see the value in a DJ. So they either say pyro and then lower that rate to let's say 150-200 instead of that 350 for the night.

All I'm saying is there are more possibilities than the black and white images some of y'all are painting. There's all types of scenarios.
popnwave 9:37 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

All I'm saying is there are more possibilities than the black and white images some of y'all are painting. There's all types of scenarios.

You are correct, I just get tired of those folks who complain about getting their peanuts taken away by a phone app because they are lazy and don't diversify.

Things don't happen over night unless you hit a jackpot, folks. Don't be the one caught with your pants down and nothing else to do in life.
Gio Alex 9:45 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You are correct, I just get tired of those folks who complain about getting their peanuts taken away by a phone app because they are lazy and don't diversify.

Things don't happen over night unless you hit a jackpot, folks. Don't be the one caught with your pants down and nothing else to do in life.

I hear you, I don't disagree. I can tell the frustration by the way lol

But things are all connected. Now when the said DJ accepts the $150-$200, then that's where the cycle of not paying ppl properly starts.
beagle82 11:10 PM - 16 February, 2016
I downloaded the app but it won't open. I have iOS 7.0.6 any suggestions?

Thx
AKIEM 11:20 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I dont5hink anyone is actually complaining about losing jobs. If pyro is taking ur job you probably arnt in a position to realize whats happening anyway.

But.

There is the ongoing discussion about what computers/machines will be able to do in the future better than a human. And this is a clear and predicted step in the.
popnwave 11:20 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:
I downloaded the app but it won't open. I have iOS 7.0.6 any suggestions?

Thx

Reboot your iDevice? If so wonder what they will do for a support avenue since the specs do say 7.0 or later. No forums for it just yet, either.
popnwave 11:22 PM - 16 February, 2016
Quote:

There is the ongoing discussion about what computers/machines will be able to do in the future better than a human. And this is a clear and predicted step in the.

Skynet will DJ your favorite bar and then blow your ass up.
AKIEM 11:30 PM - 16 February, 2016
lol

I always though human intelligence and artistry would guarantee jobs for intilectuals even if robots take over all the manual labor. But I'm reconsidering that. Never the same or equal, but I think learning algorithms will be doing things no one ever expected - and this is how it starts...
AKIEM 11:31 PM - 16 February, 2016
Actually it started with auto sync... but yeah...
pdidy 11:59 PM - 16 February, 2016
Certain styles of djing just can not be replicated with an algorithm because there's just too much Human influence that requires an actual person.

For example, the NYC hiphop and DanceHall Reggae styles when combined with Mic work (hyping the crowd, screaming on the Mic). These styles are infused with random acts of human emotion that can not be replicated by a robot or algorithm.

But an EDM Robot is just around the corner and will rock the BIGGEST and HIGHEST paying festivals because fake djing and prerecorded sets are acceptable there.
Mr. Goodkat 12:02 AM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
lol

I always though human intelligence and artistry would guarantee jobs for intilectuals even if robots take over all the manual labor. But I'm reconsidering that. Never the same or equal, but I think learning algorithms will be doing things no one ever expected - and this is how it starts...

its only a matter of time. realistically the only thing that can stop technology now is some major natural disaster on the level of massive asteroid or world war.

its a MAD situation.
Mr. Goodkat 12:04 AM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
the NYC hiphop and DanceHall Reggae styles when combined with Mic work (hyping the crowd, screaming on the Mic). These styles are infused with random acts of human emotion that can not be replicated by a robot or algorithm.

if people do things with technology that you can't imagine, the things you CAN imagine always seem like they are easily doable.
beagle82 12:44 AM - 17 February, 2016
Ya I rebooted my device as well. Seems odd, itching to see this baby in action
DJ Jonasty 1:19 AM - 17 February, 2016
I commute to work by bike and this is sweet for mixing up my playlists. Tried it today and loving it. And yes I agree this app can Dj better than a lot of DJs I've seen. Well Done Serato. This could easily be a paid app that would sell well.
dj720 1:38 AM - 17 February, 2016
it's aight..very inconsistent transitions between songs (some even starting at the chorus of the next song) and usually about a half a beat off or so. It's cool to have playing in the backgroud (or in my case, my car) but this isn't going to replace a dj unless that person trainwrecks constantly and works at a place where the dj is considered an over priced itunes. I'd be worried if and when they decide to upgrade the app with a better beat/song detection, setting custom transitions and other options.
pdidy 2:31 AM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
I'd be worried if and when they decide to upgrade the app with a better beat/song detection, setting custom transitions and other options.

That will happen in the paid version that can read your tags, beatgrids and cue points :)
Mr. Goodkat 3:32 PM - 17 February, 2016
put the app on my phone, put 4 new house songs on(since i knew they would be quantized), and i thought it worked well.
Gio Alex 3:36 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I'd be worried if and when they decide to upgrade the app with a better beat/song detection, setting custom transitions and other options.

That will happen in the paid version that can read your tags, beatgrids and cue points :)

lol i mean, it's possible
AKIEM 4:05 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Certain styles of djing just can not be replicated with an algorithm because there's just too much Human influence that requires an actual person.

For example, the NYC hiphop and DanceHall Reggae styles when combined with Mic work (hyping the crowd, screaming on the Mic). These styles are infused with random acts of human emotion that can not be replicated by a robot or algorithm.

But an EDM Robot is just around the corner and will rock the BIGGEST and HIGHEST paying festivals because fake djing and prerecorded sets are acceptable there.

I agree with the difference.

Anything where the personality is what people are entertained by is good. (unless it comes with a hologram of your favorite DJ)
Gio Alex 4:12 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
(unless it comes with a hologram of your favorite DJ)

I'm starting to think total recall and star wars mixed together lol
DJ Irv 4:43 PM - 17 February, 2016
Pyro can't play dancehall the way it should be played. IceCream sound.
Hanginon 5:57 PM - 17 February, 2016
I am new to both Serato DJ as well as these forums. What I find really interesting is the rift between those who don't want to see anything change (the "rip my turntables and/or motorized platter CDJ's from my cold, dead hands" belt buckle DJ) and those who embrace change. You need look no further for a better example than the suggestion of adding a dedicated "song preview or prelisten" function to Serato DJ, and the ensuing arguments it creates.

Stopping technology is like trying to keep water from flowing downhill due to gravity - it is a loosing battle. Also, it is does not address the Elephant in the Room. Take Serato DJ and Mixvibes Cross DJ, put them in a blender, and then back what comes out with the financial power of Pioneer. If you really think that's not going to make changes happen more quickly here at Serato, there is an old bridge I need to talk to you about!
Gio Alex 6:27 PM - 17 February, 2016
^^^In reference to this, no one is really not embracing technology. If you think about it, we're on the serato forum so that says a lot. However, generally speaking, we have an influx of fly by nights and garbage djs, artists, musicians, and a lot of it has a direct correlation with technology because it's cheaper and making things easier. I think we've reached a plateau.

In my era (not to sound like an old record), you would have to buy a pair of turntables, a mixer, some speakers and records. Which also meant you needed to space for it. Buy records weekly. So we're talking 1000-2000 just to start. Which was a lot for a hobby you won't even take seriously. Also, it was a way to filter a "fly by night" from stepping into a venue to play for a buncha ppl. First off you'd had to build a music library which would cost you hundreds or thousands.

Now you have someone who'll buy a $150 controller with illegally downloaded music and decide that same day that they should get a gig. It's a entitled attitude and audacious.

Now, I'm not saying that all who embrace technology have this approach or attitude, but there's a good side and there's a bad side. This is the whack part about it.
AKIEM 6:30 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
I am new to both Serato DJ as well as these forums. What I find really interesting is the rift between those who don't want to see anything change (the "rip my turntables and/or motorized platter CDJ's from my cold, dead hands" belt buckle DJ) and those who embrace change. You need look no further for a better example than the suggestion of adding a dedicated "song preview or prelisten" function to Serato DJ, and the ensuing arguments it creates.

Stopping technology is like trying to keep water from flowing downhill due to gravity - it is a loosing battle. Also, it is does not address the Elephant in the Room. Take Serato DJ and Mixvibes Cross DJ, put them in a blender, and then back what comes out with the financial power of Pioneer. If you really think that's not going to make changes happen more quickly here at Serato, there is an old bridge I need to talk to you about!

I hear you, but I don't agree.

years ago Serato proudly had a slogan "the computer doesn't do the work for you" or something like that. When computer DJing came out, people assumed (wrongly) that the computer was 'doing something' like it was DJing. Serato (i believe) was originally against 'out-sync' for that reason. There was a philosophy of using the computer to enhance the vinyl playing experience.

That is no longer the case. The rout Serato has gone is a choice. Right or wrong what technology is developed and implemented is a choice.

Now maybe it is more profitable to created software that does the work for you - I happen to think that is not the case. I happen to think that it would have been better to stick to making pro equipment.

...and what Gio said
Dj Wunder 9:41 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

Then someone pursuing a DJ career would want to consider moving. Think of the thousands of aspiring actors who move to Los Angeles every year, they don't sit and sulk about their limited acting opportunities in Fargo North Dakota.
Gio Alex 9:45 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

Then someone pursuing a DJ career would want to consider moving. Think of the thousands of aspiring actors who move to Los Angeles every year, they don't sit and sulk about their limited acting opportunities in Fargo North Dakota.

Moving where? NYC? Where it's already overpopulated, ridiculously expenses, full of dj schools cutting into jobs by becoming booking agents. lol

Rather than seeing that this is a problem as well as a "cool invention" I just see people making excuses. What happens when there's literally a million djs in one area with just 100 dj jobs?
AKIEM 9:48 PM - 17 February, 2016
the art of turning anyone into a 'dj'
Mr. Goodkat 9:53 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
What happens when there's literally a million djs in one area with just 100 dj jobs?

100 person b2b nites, everybody gets to play 1 song and gets 3$.
lvmez 9:53 PM - 17 February, 2016
I think the software is a few updates away from being any good. I played about 20 tracks from iPhone and wasn't impressed. Most were train wrecks.
Gio Alex 9:56 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
I think the software is a few updates away from being any good. I played about 20 tracks from iPhone and wasn't impressed. Most were train wrecks.

That's like 50% of DJs i hear, what's the difference?
Gio Alex 9:57 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
What happens when there's literally a million djs in one area with just 100 dj jobs?

100 person b2b nites, everybody gets to play 1 song and gets 3$.

LOL This.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:33 PM - 17 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Screw small bars anyway

This is actually where the "good" djs should start to worry. Ive tried to explain this in here several times. I always preach about the effects of these things and the rebuttal us always "ya but you live in a 1 horse town, that shit wont fly here in metropolis"....ya BUT there are ALOT more one horse towns than there are metropolisis. So when all these one horse towns switch to auto robot dj, which they easily can because theyre the only game in town, where do you thin the most talented djs will go...theyll flock to the few areas that retain the standard further watering down the market. You mention all the actors that move to LA, well how many of those actors make it? How many are actually making a living? Not many
dj jamalot 11:20 PM - 17 February, 2016
At the end of the day it's just a tool to give the "DJ" a break nothing more, Sure some may use this to replace a "DJ" So what find another spot, The bigger picture is Serato created this not to eliminate "DJ's but to give iPhone / IOS users a way to play music uninterupted. i'll be using it Saturday for background music... We shall see.
AKIEM 12:35 AM - 18 February, 2016
Not really end of the day tho...
deejdave 1:01 AM - 18 February, 2016
Again has NOBODY heard of Pacemaker? This EXACT concept has been out for quite some time. I mean literally Spotify and full SYNC mixing with song choosing.................. the works. Except it adds FX (via paid expansions) and........................ it did just as much to the DJ industry as this will. The ONLY reason many of you guys even know about it is because of Serayo.com etc.

This is being marketed as a personal music player, treated as a personal music player, and being accepted by some as a DJ replacement.

I had an excellent day today at work thanks to this app. Is it perfect at mixing? NO but then again judging by some peeps comments here I can only imagine the fear it would stir up and the nightmares it would give you guys if it was perfect.

There are SO many apps that have these exact features I am having trouble understanding why some think this is the end...................... again I must conclude that it is because you actually know about Pyro while have no clue about the many other options that have been available for years with even more mixing options, etc.
djsmuve415 1:28 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
again I must conclude that it is because you actually know about Pyro while have no clue about the many other options that have been available for years with even more mixing options

exactly... I've been hearing about the death of DJ's, blah, blah, blah, for like many years now starting all the way back to when Pioneer first had a rack mounted dual CD player that had a "Auto-Mix" feature... OMG, the amount of fucking DJ's who jumped off a cliff or found another way to commit suicide when that came out! Jeez.
The truth of the matter is, theres a ton of reasons why places are closing or doing away with DJ's all together, with many factors involved... This app is hardly a deciding one.
AKIEM 1:29 AM - 18 February, 2016
Are you offended by the discussion here?
dj jamalot 1:34 AM - 18 February, 2016
Megaseg is one of those options and a very good one at that it was aimed primarily for
Radio stations i've used it in the past for the background music portion it's fully adjustable into and outro points or let the Robot do it...

Great Discussion!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:04 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
again I must conclude that it is because you actually know about Pyro while have no clue about the many other options that have been available for years with even more mixing options

exactly... I've been hearing about the death of DJ's, blah, blah, blah, for like many years now starting all the way back to when Pioneer first had a rack mounted dual CD player that had a "Auto-Mix" feature... OMG, the amount of fucking DJ's who jumped off a cliff or found another way to commit suicide when that came out! Jeez.
The truth of the matter is, theres a ton of reasons why places are closing or doing away with DJ's all together, with many factors involved... This app is hardly a deciding one.

lmfao, you start your argument with " I've been hearing about the death of DJ's, blah, blah, blah, for like many years now starting all the way back to when Pioneer first had a rack mounted dual CD player that had a "Auto-Mix" feature" as if those djs are crazy then finish it by confirming their worrys "The truth of the matter is, theres a ton of reasons why places are closing or doing away with DJ's all together"
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:07 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

There are SO many apps that have these exact features I am having trouble understanding why some think this is the end.......................

You just explained it yourself. There are SO any apps, in other words there is a market for them and a financial interest in creating an app to completely replace the dj. RIGHT NOW at this moment in harvard theres a dorm room with the next mark Zuckerberg coding away an app with the sole purpose of replacing the dj and getting rich
dj jamalot 2:18 AM - 18 February, 2016
Hey if they can create an app that can mix flawlessly while reading a crowd and make announcements keep the dance floor packed hell i'll by that Bish and put away my gear after 37 years it's time to go.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:18 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Hey if they can create an app that can mix flawlessly while reading a crowd and make announcements keep the dance floor packed hell i'll by that Bish and put away my gear after 37 years it's time to go.

A) the reality is it have to read the floor a floor can be programmed

B) a dj isnt required to make announcements, thats what an mc is for

c) why would you buy it, youll be outta a job lol
deejdave 3:21 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
You just explained it yourself. There are SO any apps, in other words there is a market for them and a financial interest in creating an app to completely replace the dj.

I suppose if they weren't mostly DJ apps you may have a case but unfortunately out of ALL of the apps I am speaking of only ONE is not. VDJ, DJ Player Pro, Djay Pro, Djay 2 are all DJ apps so I am not sure if these would fall under the category of "replacing the DJ" as last I checked it takes a DJ to run them. They just all happen to be moving with the times.

They have the capabilities but trust when I say they do not (nor do I think they will ever 100%) replace the DJ as there are certain elements not producible at this point by software or
algorithms.

Literally the DJ just as a fixed point concept is enough to beat out a jukebox or playlist. The energy by a human interacting with the crowd alone can NEVER be replaced.

I could go on but let me be frank............... if an explanation is needed I fear we will not come to an agreement anyways as we are coming from two very different angles. The market is large enough for all types in my experience though. YES there are the undercutters, YES some may even try to use apps like the above................. I say let them. I would be lying if I said it did not make my sale all that much easier.
deejdave 3:22 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

A) the reality is it have to read the floor a floor can be programmed

B) a dj isnt required to make announcements, thats what an mc is for

c) why would you buy it, youll be outta a job lol

It seemed clear enough to me that he would by because it is highly unlikely to exist anyways.
deejdave 3:24 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lmfao, you start your argument with " I've been hearing about the death of DJ's, blah, blah, blah, for like many years now starting all the way back to when Pioneer first had a rack mounted dual CD player that had a "Auto-Mix" feature" as if those djs are crazy then finish it by confirming their worrys "The truth of the matter is, theres a ton of reasons why places are closing or doing away with DJ's all together"

It seemed clear enough to me that he was implying there are more real world things going on including DJ related progress but if you were to ask these business owners for their reasoning "a new app came out" would probably not come out of their mouths........
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:29 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It seemed clear enough to me that he was implying there are more real world things going on including DJ related progress

So clubs are doing away with djs and closing due to....dj related progress...seems legit

Quote:

if you were to ask these business owners for their reasoning "a new app came out" would probably not come out of their mouths........

True...."im saving $600 a week and still getting the job done" would be closer
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:39 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
I would be lying if I said it did not make my sale all that much easier.

As a trance dj? Dude you might be THE most replaceable guy in here, shit, TIME replaced you lol. Whens your next gig, how many this month?
dj jamalot 12:33 PM - 18 February, 2016
This is definitely not new I had a numark cd mix all in one wedding ceremony rig that with a 1/8 in plug in both decks it would robo play between two CDs just like the pioneer unit I personally love Technology it's advanced djing light years, it's making it easier for amateur's too actually play pretty good along with easily accessible music collections basically anyone with some savings can be a DJ and if anyone of us gets replaced by an app or a newcomer they probably deserved it. when you guys can look back at 30+ years in this game and still be relevant you won't care about an App!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 1:21 PM - 18 February, 2016
Clearly some of you are really butt hurt about this.
Gio Alex 3:32 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

I explained on several occasions above how many of these things play a role and one thing leads to another. If you have the time I suggest you check it out. People tend to think a lot of things aren't a big deal but they all connect. Cheap ass gear = cheap ass djs = cheap clients. I can go on and on and on.
Gio Alex 3:33 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
"The truth of the matter is, theres a ton of reasons why places are closing or doing away with DJ's all together"

But on a broader scale this is very true.
Gio Alex 3:37 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Clearly some of you are really butt hurt about this.

True.

I think it's a great discussion, but some are emotional about it. I personally, like the discussion because I feel like technology in general in the past 5-8 years has really shifted how we communicate. There have been these articles discussing how texting has created a lot of bad grammar, and how a lot of kids can't spell for shit. lol
Gio Alex 3:42 PM - 18 February, 2016
I will say though, there are certain kinds of bars that are better of with a long ass playlist of crappy pop music. Mainly bars in manhattan on a friday, saturday where the demographic is 12teen to 21yr old adhd college kids. I feel bad for the hell the dj has to go through in those situations.

One time I saw a buddy of mine play a night there and was like, "yo you wanna do one of these nights with me?" It's good money" I was like NOPE!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:06 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
This is definitely not new I had a numark cd mix all in one wedding ceremony rig that with a 1/8 in plug in both decks it would robo play between two CDs just like the pioneer unit I personally love Technology it's advanced djing light years, it's making it easier for amateur's too actually play pretty good along with easily accessible music collections basically anyone with some savings can be a DJ

This sums up the problem nicely

Quote:
if anyone of us gets replaced by an app or a newcomer they probably deserved it.

ya, fuck me for investing in pro gear and wanting to be paid in cash instead of hi 5s
Gio Alex 4:14 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
ya, fuck me for investing in pro gear and wanting to be paid in cash instead of hi 5s

HA!!! DJ for car fare or gas.
popnwave 4:16 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I will say though, I have VJ'd for airfare, accommodations and food when I did a friend's wedding. I actually plan on doing it again in October this year :D But to go cross country for a week it seems worth it.
Gio Alex 4:19 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will say though, I have VJ'd for airfare, accommodations and food when I did a friend's wedding. I actually plan on doing it again in October this year :D But to go cross country for a week it seems worth it.

Yeah, but that's different. That's a great look! Your getting a $1000+ trip paid for in exhcange for your services. Are they friends?

Back in the day I definitely DJ'ed for car fare and drinks, but that was when I started. I'd take what I can get back then. Also didn't even think I could get paid to DJ. I just loved to do it. I do for charity events from time to time as well.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:41 PM - 18 February, 2016
Lol, cats mad @ an app.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Lol, cats mad @ an app.

Lol, cat just got a computer capable of running the app
dj jamalot 4:47 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Lol, cats mad @ an app.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Much Ado about nothing.
deezlee 5:18 PM - 18 February, 2016
As far as actors, I'd rather see a good actor in a local play where I can sit 20 feet from them as they perform an unfakable task (acting well) then see an actor on tv that was filmed in 100 takes in LA.
But I'm sure if you've never seen a real actor act well in person then watching tv is good enough.

Actually I'm not into plays or tv but I stand by the analogy! (I do DJ at local bars though).
Dj Koppa Top 6:22 PM - 18 February, 2016
Love the app... Nice for when your laptop freeze mid set or bathroom break or even intermission filler.... nice as a backup. Replacement?.........aaaahhhh .... Hell NO!!!
Unless there's a hype man add on coming soon *cover eyes and bow*
popnwave 6:26 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

Yeah, but that's different. That's a great look! Your getting a $1000+ trip paid for in exhcange for your services. Are they friends?

Sure are, good excuse to catch up with old friends since that (Tampa) was my club market for 13 years until I moved. I am happy to come out even for that alone.

For anyone else I'd want a nice fee on top of that! :D
Gio Alex 6:31 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
For anyone else I'd want a nice fee on top of that! :D

Absolutely!!! Enjoy man!
AKIEM 7:29 PM - 18 February, 2016
"Im about to go DJ Hype Man the function"
DeeJay*CASPER 7:40 PM - 18 February, 2016
the funniest thing I think about with Serato Pyro is how the patrons(sheep) will be walking around like robots looking for the DJ.

(in robot voices)
"where is the dj so I can bother him with my request?"

"where is the dj so I can tell him I'm about to leave and request a song?"

"where is the dj so I can tell him it's my friends birthday and request a song?"

LOL.....on the real. In the loooong run it will affect the future dj's but we're safe......no panic here
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:51 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Lol, cats mad @ an app.

You did?

Well Mobile is in for a treat!
deejdave 10:05 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Lol, cats mad @ an app.

No computer can run this app.
Quote:
Quote:

As a trance dj? Dude you might be THE most replaceable guy in here, shit, TIME replaced you lol. Whens your next gig, how many this month?

Actually swamped but in all fairness not my typical gigs but it pays for my lifestyle while my 9-5 pays the bills. I would love to play at clubs spinning my bread & butter tracks but clubs just do not pay anymore thanks to promoters NOT apps (LMAO btw) and private events are where its at.

I also have to be honest and say I have no idea what the talk of bars and clubs getting rid of DJ's is. Here on L.I. one can find a club or bar gig at a moments notice. The competition is real and lame but again this is due to computers (not iphone apps) and some bring JUST that which sucks. I can understand not bringing TT's anymore as TRUST bar & club owners don't want scratch DJ's either (which kind of sucks) but just a computer is pushing it in IMO. Luckily these are the guys who do not last and being the head DJ at a decent size bar on L.I. (Mulcahys) these are the guys who got sent home mid-set.

Do you really feel Serato Pyro will kill off Djing? I mean time has already proven the other apps that have been doing the exact same thing didn't so it is JUST Pyro that will?
deejdave 10:13 PM - 18 February, 2016
BTW I am assuming by your little attempt of a jab "trance" comment that adapting may not be your strongest point.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol, cats mad @ an app.

Quote:
Quote:

Actually swamped but in all fairness not my typical gigs but it pays for my lifestyle while my 9-5 pays the bills. I would love to play at clubs spinning my bread & butter tracks but clubs just do not pay anymore thanks to promoters NOT apps (LMAO btw) and private events are where its at.

I also have to be honest and say I have no idea what the talk of bars and clubs getting rid of DJ's is. Here on L.I. one can find a club or bar gig at a moments notice. The competition is real and lame but again this is due to computers (not iphone apps) and some bring JUST that which sucks. I can understand not bringing TT's anymore as TRUST bar & club owners don't want scratch DJ's either (which kind of sucks) but just a computer is pushing it in IMO. Luckily these are the guys who do not last and being the head DJ at a decent size bar on L.I. (Mulcahys) these are the guys who got sent home mid-set.

Do you really feel Serato Pyro will kill off Djing? I mean time has already proven the other apps that have been doing the exact same thing didn't so it is JUST Pyro that will?

Do you realise all the contradictory things you said here or do i need to point them all out?
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:23 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
BTW I am assuming by your little attempt of a jab "trance" comment that adapting may not be your strongest point.

lol @ the guy playing music that died in 98 talking about others adaptibility
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:25 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:

Factually wrong
Mr. Goodkat 11:05 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

not where hes from.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:10 PM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Factually wrong

Yep.

Bezzle got the hookup...
deejdave 12:42 AM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Factually wrong

I must have missed something so please enlighten me? You have a link of someone running Pyro on a laptop or something?
Quote:
Quote:

Well that would be the part I was referring to. You actually think I play trance at my current gigs? Could possibly be what I meant when I said
Quote:
in all fairness not my typical gigs

It literally never crossed your mind that I play other types of music like maybe the "house" part which is LITERALLY the first word on my profile .................. uhhhhhhh???

To be honest I rarely play even that but I missed the part where I committed to be 100% current on my profile with what I do on a daily, weekly or annual basis. Perhaps I will come up with a newsletter for you so you need not check up on me.

Just an observation but individuals who tend to do the whole stalk & report approach rarely have any actual substance to their arguments. Try to attack the words/topic and not the user maybe. In all fairness if I judged you solely by what I see on the forums .................... yeah.
deejdave 12:44 AM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Do you realise all the contradictory things you said here or do i need to point them all out?

By all means. I would love to get into it with you.
deejdave 12:46 AM - 19 February, 2016
Before you start though keep in mind that Pyro is in no way the same as Laptop DJing. They both play music yes but so does my PS4....................... proceed.
AKIEM 12:59 AM - 19 February, 2016
Pretty sure an ipad emulator would work.
(not that ipad djing isnt a thing anyway)
deejdave 4:26 AM - 19 February, 2016
Could potentially load (maybe) but I can't see it running connecting to the Spotify service etc.
d:raf 4:48 AM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Factually wrong

An Ipad/Iphone is a computer.

Bezzle wins.

TECHNIKALITY!

</DJ Kombat>
deejdave 4:53 AM - 19 February, 2016
By this logic so is a calculator. Looks like I stepped into the wrong room. Should have known better than to venture into the forum backstreets LOL. Hopefully with the new format this will be rectified.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:33 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Factually wrong

An Ipad/Iphone is a computer.

Bezzle wins.

TECHNIKALITY!

</DJ Kombat>

;D
dj jamalot 4:50 PM - 19 February, 2016
All these complaints i'm running a playlist i put in bpm order and it's doing it's thing!

if you don't reorder your playlist sure it will train wreck just as YOU would IJS...Carry On.
Scully DJ Services 7:47 PM - 19 February, 2016
Quote:
All these complaints i'm running a playlist i put in bpm order and it's doing it's thing!

if you don't reorder your playlist sure it will train wreck just as YOU would IJS...Carry On.

What genre are you using? In my experience of pop, hip hop, blues, jazz, EDM, etc. it trainwrecks most transitions even with the songs in bpm order. The tempo isnt the issue. The issure is that the algorithms arent good enough to know where the '1' is nor where each phrase starts
dj jamalot 9:40 PM - 19 February, 2016
Hip hop it's ok still starts early sometimes and can still train wreck but I've heard worse...
pdidy 11:37 AM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
Hip hop it's ok still starts early sometimes and can still train wreck but I've heard worse...

no, hiphop is shitty but house is ok.

just like beatgrids and sync, hiphop is shitty but house is ok.

apparently hiphop, r&b type beats are far more complicated algorithms to perfect as there has been very little progress in the past 5 years.
Gio Alex 2:53 PM - 20 February, 2016
***Troll alert***

This is why spinning house isn't impressive at all. Lol
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 5:13 PM - 20 February, 2016
Many solid points here. After listening to Pyro for 20 minutes my conclusion and initial thoughts are this-

If the only value a DJ brings to the table are VERY simple best matching and blending, then yes, Pyro is your worst nightmare. But so is an app called Rock My Run, which are pre made mixes that are even better than Pyro.

I'm actually really surprised at how many DJs on here who seem to have solid DJ skills are worried about Pyro and it's boring, monotonous blends.

Like someone on here said, if Pyro is a threat, time to revamp and update your business plan....assuming you have one of course.
deejdave 6:21 PM - 20 February, 2016
^^^^ All I'm trying to say.
Quote:
***Troll alert***

Can't argue that TBH. I happen to love the music but pound for pound it is by far the easiest to mix. Again this is talking straight A/B mixing of course as there is MUCH to be done. STEMS alone brings an element not found (proper) in any other style. Rockin just over 700 STEM files and I am very much awaiting the day Serato adds this to their arsenal. I am willing to wait as I know there are some bread & butter elements missing still but maybe even hire another team to add this. I am also hoping the new relationship between Serato and Spotify (via Pyro) can bring Spotify directly into SDJ. Pulselocker SHOULD be decent when it is fully operational but I can't help but think Pyro would be the perfect complement to Serato if they BOTH accessed the same library.
AKIEM 8:36 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
I'm actually really surprised at how many DJs on here who seem to have solid DJ skills are worried about Pyro and it's boring, monotonous blends.

I dont think there are any DJs on here 'worried' about compatition from Pyro - like in a battle.

Its more about the future effects on the industry.

There are TONS of crap unskilled ""DJs"" out there on every level in every market taking space and taking money - doesn't mean anyone thinks they have any skills
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 9:34 PM - 20 February, 2016
I dont think there are any DJs on here 'worried' about compatition from Pyro - like in a battle.

skills

Let's not waste time with 100 posts about who is "worried" and who's not and what defines "worried" Wasn't the point. Pyro will not unemploy any decent DJ that knows how to do more than a basic blend after playing the entire song. Plus the "draw" of the physical presence of a DJ can't be replaced by an app.
AKIEM 9:49 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:

skills

Let's not waste time with 100 posts about who is "worried" and who's not and what defines "worried" Wasn't the point. Pyro will not unemploy any decent DJ that knows how to do more than a basic blend after playing the entire song. Plus the "draw" of the physical presence of a DJ can't be replaced by an app.

Have you ever taken a job that require very little dj skill? I have plenty. Ive done lots of jobs requiring little of my actual skill.

Having a physical presence and talking on the mic does not make a DJ of you (least no in the sense we are talking about)

I don't think anyone is saying this app in its current iteration will kill all dj jobs.
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 10:13 PM - 20 February, 2016
Actually that's what it seems like what a lot of people are saying. But I do also see what you're saying. For a play/fade in/fade out DJ, Pyro may take some jobs.
Gio Alex 10:21 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:

Its more about the future effects on the industry.

There are TONS of crap unskilled ""DJs"" out there on every level in every market taking space and taking money - doesn't mean anyone thinks they have any skills

This is what I'm trying to say.
Mr. Goodkat 11:31 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
***Troll alert***

ugh, so troll
Gio Alex 11:49 PM - 20 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
***Troll alert***

ugh, so troll

haha
AKIEM 2:06 AM - 21 February, 2016
Quote:
Actually that's what it seems like what a lot of people are saying. But I do also see what you're saying. For a play/fade in/fade out DJ, Pyro may take some jobs.

ah, and now you 'seem' to be worried about pyro taking jobs - lol!
southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik 2:20 AM - 21 February, 2016
Soooooo worried. lol!
Mr. Goodkat 12:40 AM - 24 February, 2016
if you think about it, it needs a pro version that would read your serato cue points and bpm(maybe it already does).

then you add

start at first cue
mix out at/end at last cue
fade time

you could even add in a sample bank for drops
so you have drops every song/time interval(1-10 mins)

then you could create a new job as music director/mgr and come in and set up the weeks playlists(maybe you do 1-2-3 nites or the whole week.

so you might get paid less, but be able to do multiple jobs on one nite. or you get a few programming nites and still dj for mo $ mo $$ mo $$$ (sorry for 90s/dad joke)
DJ Quartz 12:53 AM - 24 February, 2016
I'm going to chime in here for a sec. Correct me if I'm not wrong, if you're a resident DJ and not just doing guest spot... Aren't you responsible for WAY more than just DJ'ing?

What about technical support and maintenance of equipment, marketing the club and having to do promotion to grow your nights and network with businesses for giveaways and staff parties, etc, etc...

It's not just about spinning.
AKIEM 12:54 AM - 24 February, 2016
Could compile data from Play Lists, find mix out points, songs that mix well, styles, and etc.
Gio Alex 3:05 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I'm going to chime in here for a sec. Correct me if I'm not wrong, if you're a resident DJ and not just doing guest spot... Aren't you responsible for WAY more than just DJ'ing?

What about technical support and maintenance of equipment, marketing the club and having to do promotion to grow your nights and network with businesses for giveaways and staff parties, etc, etc...

Yes and No. It depends on the place. Some spots have different standards. Some expect the manager to oversee such responsibilities.
DJ Quartz 3:07 AM - 24 February, 2016
Well I'm asking for a raise. Ha ha ha
AKIEM 3:11 AM - 24 February, 2016
Just because you are a promotor, bartender, bouncer, fuckin' uh mopping floors at the end of the night (remember that), fluffer, graphic designer, sound man, and etc. doesn't mean ANY of that bullshit has anything to do with DJING.

It just means they have you doing extra shit.
DJ Quartz 3:19 AM - 24 February, 2016
I disagree, if you're the main DJ and stuff breaks. Who's fixing it?
DJ Quartz 3:20 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

By the way this was a joke, they do take care of me for extra duties.
DJ Quartz 3:24 AM - 24 February, 2016
Anyway, end of day Pyro is not replacing anybody. Relax and go practice.
AKIEM 3:28 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

The sound man.
DJ Quartz 3:28 AM - 24 February, 2016
There's no sound man. The sound man is me.
AKIEM 3:35 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
There's no sound man. The sound man is me.

Quote:
Just because you are a promotor, bartender, bouncer, fuckin' uh mopping floors at the end of the night (remember that), fluffer, graphic designer, sound man, and etc. doesn't mean ANY of that bullshit has anything to do with DJING.

It just means they have you doing extra shit.

that 'etc.' includes: soundman, tech, lighting guy (or chic), bathroom attendant, valet, hostess, uber driver, drug holder, coat room attendant, purse holder, short order cook, phone charger guy and etc.
DJ Quartz 3:37 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
that 'etc.' includes: soundman, tech, lighting guy (or chic), bathroom attendant, valet, hostess, uber driver, drug holder, coat room attendant, purse holder, short order cook, phone charger guy and etc.

Let's not get it twisted now.

I do things that related to DJ (Equipment & Spinning) portion of the club and Promotions of the Events and Club Nights.

They didn't have me doing this, I went in that. Because the previous DJ's didn't do jack sh**.
AKIEM 3:40 AM - 24 February, 2016
...runner, equipment rental, projection, go-go dancer, rider fulfillment, social media chic...
DJ Quartz 3:42 AM - 24 February, 2016
But I'm not here to debate this because I have a belief that not everybody doesn't have to agree with it. This is just my opinion.

If you're a Club DJ/Moblie DJ, you have to take a lead if you want your nights to be successful. No one's going to do it for you.

Just like you have to do promotions for your Mobile business and provide good service to be successful as well.
d:raf 3:46 AM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
...runner, equipment rental, projection, go-go dancer, rider fulfillment, social media chic...

...cake baker...

serato.com
DJ Quartz 3:49 AM - 24 February, 2016
HA!
AKIEM 4:04 AM - 24 February, 2016
yeah, Im just joking around (but only half joking)

...comedian, (lol) cake baker (and that shits real), drug pusher, sober cab, male or female model, political spokesperson, gigolo...
DJ Quartz 4:13 AM - 24 February, 2016
Don't get me wrong though. I understand where you're coming from as well.
DJ Quartz 4:14 AM - 24 February, 2016
I'm fortunate to be in a position where the owner really appreciate what is done.

I've also been on the other side where the club doesn't want to do anything and expects the club to be full.
deezlee 10:38 AM - 24 February, 2016
A ssl plugin version could learn your DJ style in a second by factoring in your typical number of verses played, transition choices, times played etc.
deezlee 10:40 AM - 24 February, 2016
Could probly learn the frequency and choices of scratches pretty quick too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:18 PM - 24 February, 2016
lol @ the phone charger guy....
DJ Quartz 1:48 PM - 24 February, 2016
^ I do have a charging station just for that at weddings now. :)
dj jamalot 2:30 PM - 24 February, 2016
I used Pyro for my background set and it wasn't pyro that wowed em but my Streetwise hip hop / Jazz slow songs that i actually got tons of compliments on and people taking my card for future events...
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Well heres the thing, there are other people out there who JUST do these jobs, probably better than you. For example, your asked to promote because theyre already paying you to dj so theyre adding a promoters duty on top of that to save money by not hiring a real promoter. If your not djing....why would they pay you to just promote when they could just hire a real promoter and get more for the money. Same can be said for everyone using the "i cant be replaced because i know how to speak into a mic and the machine dosent"....well ya but if you ARENT djing there are plenty of guys out there who can say "put your hands up" and "if you lost a phone please come to the dj booth" better than you.

Also on a more basic level, I WANT to be employed as a dj, if you take away that aspect and your just the bar back, door guy, facebook manager, barf cleaner upper, uber driver, plumber, network tech, stool holder, coat room attendant, meter maid, tow truck guy.....why would you want the job anymore
dj jamalot 3:37 PM - 24 February, 2016
Bezzle has a point as a resident DJ you/ I am responsible for all A/V related issues albeit my situation may be a bit different as a government contractor but nonetheless I have to insure everything works. I recone speakers repair lights projector bulbs come up with Themes promote events...yup I do it all.
Gio Alex 4:31 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

You let the management know and they get it fixed. That's how it works where I'm from and live. I dunno about other places.
Gio Alex 4:32 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Well you should.

Most places I just gotta chit chat and show up. All that extra shit is management and promoters.
Gio Alex 4:33 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
lol @ the phone charger guy....

Quote:

LMFAO
DJ Quartz 4:43 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Well heres the thing, there are other people out there who JUST do these jobs, probably better than you. For example, your asked to promote because theyre already paying you to dj so theyre adding a promoters duty on top of that to save money by not hiring a real promoter. If your not djing

People missed my point a few posts ago when I made the raise joke. I actually get paid to do the other tasks.

Where I'm from we have 'club' promoters. The DJ's do it, same as making sure the gear is good.

Quote:
You let the management know and they get it fixed. That's how it works where I'm from and live. I dunno about other places.

Not happening here, things not get fixed otherwise. I let them know the cost, the parts are time are paid for and it gets done timely.

If I can't do it, it's sent to where it has to go for repair.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

People missed my point a few posts ago when I made the raise joke. I actually get paid to do the other tasks.

Where I'm from we have 'club' promoters. The DJ's do it, same as making sure the gear is good.

No, you missed the point. Here ill put it this way, how many clubs are you being paid to promote for where you are NOT employed as a dj first and formost?
DJ Quartz 4:48 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

Typo, we don't have 'club' promoters.

The way it's works where I'm from is if you resident there you promote the club. They do promotions to but if you want your night(s) to blow up it's on you.
DJ Quartz 4:50 PM - 24 February, 2016
And for the record it doesn't have to be just clubs, any event whether it's a Club event, cabaret/social whatever it may be.

That's how it goes down where I'm from.
Gio Alex 5:00 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Not happening here, things not get fixed otherwise. I let them know the cost, the parts are time are paid for and it gets done timely.

If I can't do it, it's sent to where it has to go for repair.

I hope they're paying you a nice salary.

A few swanky spots I spin at the managers are very on top of repairs and such. They just send the gear to a repair spot asap.
DJ Quartz 5:06 PM - 24 February, 2016
They're good about that as well if it's something that I can't fix.

They take care of me and we have great nights now as well.

Anyway, imho I just see Pyro as a fun toy but I don't see it taking anyone's job.

There were many 'DJ'-esque apps before Pyro and there will be ones after it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:44 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Typo, we don't have 'club' promoters.

The way it's works where I'm from is if you resident there you promote the club. They do promotions to but if you want your night(s) to blow up it's on you.

Same question applys, how many clubs are paying you to promote where you arent already djing.

Furthermore, if the clubs you play at stopped paying you all together, how much professional level marketing do you think that would buy?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:45 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

There were many 'DJ'-esque apps before Pyro and there will be ones after it.

And thats the point we're trying to make
DJ Quartz 8:04 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Furthermore, if the clubs you play at stopped paying you all together, how much professional level marketing do you think that would buy?

They wouldn't do that because it only sense that DJ playing there a connecting with the patrons to come there because they like the music and style of djing does the promotion.

Like I said that is how it is here.

I know in the bigger centers, they have 'promoters', etc, etc...

But I've heard the horror stories DJ's went through with that as well. So I'm glad I do it myself personally.

Things get done as they should and there is no politics or BS to deal with.

To answer your question I get paid to promote events or clubs I spin at only. I have no interest to promote a venue that I'm not involved with.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:42 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:

I'm ashamed to admit, I actually had to employ the services of said aforementioned person one day....

Didn't know them from Jack, but needed to recharge....
Gio Alex 8:43 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm ashamed to admit, I actually had to employ the services of said aforementioned person one day....

Dead!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:31 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

They wouldn't do that because it only sense that DJ playing there a connecting with the patrons to come there because they like the music and style of djing does the promotion.

So the patrons come because they like the music and how its played....both of which can be easily replicated with an app so no, it WONT make sense to have you there. Your point is invalid

Quote:

Like I said that is how it is here.

I know in the bigger centers, they have 'promoters', etc, etc...

But I've heard the horror stories DJ's went through with that as well. So I'm glad I do it myself personally.

Things get done as they should and there is no politics or BS to deal with.

The same thing can be said about djs.

Quote:

To answer your question I get paid to promote events or clubs I spin at only.

Exactly, because they are already paying you for the service your good and and cant be easily replaced, at the moment, and it makes more sense to tack onto your responsibilitys instead of paying more for a 3rd wheel. Take away the djing aspect and i garuentee that they could get more promo for their money than your providing.

Quote:
I have no interest to promote a venue that I'm not involved with.

So once an app replaces you, will you still want to work there?
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:32 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Pacemaker running low?
DJ Quartz 9:42 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
So the patrons come because they like the music and how its played....both of which can be easily replicated with an app so no, it WONT make sense to have you there. Your point is invalid

Wrong!
DJ Quartz 9:42 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Exactly, because they are already paying you for the service your good and and cant be easily replaced, at the moment, and it makes more sense to tack onto your responsibilitys instead of paying more for a 3rd wheel. Take away the djing aspect and i garuentee that they could get more promo for their money than your providing.

Wrong again, they never had a promo person.
Gio Alex 9:46 PM - 24 February, 2016
As a DJ though, do you really want to do all that? Maybe it's different where you are, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for all that. I wouldn't even have the time.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:54 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong!

How so, please explain
Mr. Goodkat 9:54 PM - 24 February, 2016
i think its more small town and/or small bar type things. seems like most bigger bars have bigger staffs and budgets for marketing and someone at the bar does it or its hired out locally.

i would never mind taking kit to get repaired, so i know its done right and who its done by, but im not paying for it or doing it myself.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:55 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Wrong again, they never had a promo person.

How am I wrong, I never said they had one before (please point out where i said they did) I said that if they take away the music aspect they can easily get someone who has the social ability to bring in more people than you can. #fact
Gio Alex 10:03 PM - 24 February, 2016
I'm not knocking your job though @DJ Quartz. Just seems like a whole lot to do that other people could be doing, but then @Goodkat explains that small town or venue types will have different priorities than a the bigger cities so I guess I can understand how you ended up in that position.

I can understand making sure the gear always works, but I'd be more concerned with delegating the repairs than actually doing them myself. Sounds like you're part of the bar staff itself. I try and keep my relationship with a spot strictly DJ. I don't want them to start asking me or expecting me to do shit that has nothing to do with me DJing there.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:07 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I'm not knocking your job though @DJ Quartz. Just seems like a whole lot to do that other people could be doing, but then @Goodkat explains that small town or venue types will have different priorities than a the bigger cities so I guess I can understand how you ended up in that position.

I can understand making sure the gear always works, but I'd be more concerned with delegating the repairs than actually doing them myself. Sounds like you're part of the bar staff itself. I try and keep my relationship with a spot strictly DJ. I don't want them to start asking me or expecting me to do shit that has nothing to do with me DJing there.

Earlier in the thread I told a story about a large venue i used to work at that was bought by a new owner and i was replaced by a guy using mixmiester....that venue still pays me (well)to come in once a month and tune the system. Great exampe of how doing other shit not saving your dj job
Mr. Goodkat 10:09 PM - 24 February, 2016
why not drop your dj fee to include system maintenance and maybe it would be less but still close so they could afford you to dj?
popnwave 10:10 PM - 24 February, 2016
The longest running venues I've ever been too are well run, but the resident DJs are usually pitching in time to make sure their slice of the operations are running well.

I take pride in the product I presented and unless you are working in some overpriced venue there's not always someone on staff who is more knowledgeable than I.
Gio Alex 10:17 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Earlier in the thread I told a story about a large venue i used to work at that was bought by a new owner and i was replaced by a guy using mixmiester....that venue still pays me (well)to come in once a month and tune the system. Great exampe of how doing other shit not saving your dj job

Welp, and there ya go.
DJKROOKS 11:52 PM - 24 February, 2016
i like the app, i think it would be a great tool to use for a backup *knocks on wood
Its also a great tool for searching for new music or old music that you could have possibly forgot about. Not sure if this will have a negative effect as far as clients rather using the app than hiring a DJ.
DJ Johnny Moon 8:39 PM - 17 December, 2017
Quote:
It's cool but depressing that another technological advance is aimed at eliminating jobs. Weddings, corporate parties, bars, gone. There's already no more record or movie stores providing incomes, we have self checkout at grocery stores and online retail sites like Amazon and Alibaba are squeezing out brick and mortar businesses in local neighborhoods. With all these jobs getting automated or shifted to online retail, I wonder what people are going to do in 10-20 years for work. The bigger picture is scary...and I miss record stores.

Hopefully start taking on a mindset of Entrepreneurship and start learning how to create opportunists for them self instead of people handing out 9-5 jobs. Tech always gets put down when people become afraid to adapt to changes.