DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Internal HD with a Optibay Caddy 1TB???

DEE JAY BASS 12:27 AM - 11 February, 2016
Fellow Djs running internal HD's!!
Have any of you guys installed a Optibay Caddy in your MacBook Pros?
If you have successfully installed a 1TB Drive in the Caddy Tray, what brand/type of HD did you install?
I am running into some SERIOUS read/write issues with a WD 1TB

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction..
DJ Baby Boy 4:33 AM - 11 February, 2016
I've had no problems and I'm running a 2TB Samsung spinpoint m9t with a Samsung 850 evo SSD in the main bay ... What machine do you have as I've heard a lot of 2011 MBPs having issues with drives in the optibay
DEE JAY BASS 5:01 AM - 11 February, 2016
Unfortunately I am running a late 2011 MBP..

The part that is pissing me off is that I have a WD Black 750 - 7200 RPM running inside the drive bay already and it works flawlessly, so I figured I would buy a 1 TB WD with the same SATA speed and it won't work for S**T...

WD Laptop Mainstream WDBMYH0010BNC-NRSN 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit <<--- DRAMA!!!

WD Scorpio® Black™ <<--- Works like a dream -- Doesn't come in 1TB

Main drive is a 480 Samsung SSD
yowordiagree 9:28 AM - 11 February, 2016
I also have a 2011 mbp whilst I'm using an external when I get round to fitting an extra drive I'll probably just get one from ocw just to save the headache
Dj_Nix 12:11 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
Unfortunately I am running a late 2011 MBP..

The part that is pissing me off is that I have a WD Black 750 - 7200 RPM running inside the drive bay already and it works flawlessly, so I figured I would buy a 1 TB WD with the same SATA speed and it won't work for S**T...

WD Laptop Mainstream WDBMYH0010BNC-NRSN 1TB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit <<--- DRAMA!!!

WD Scorpio® Black™ <<--- Works like a dream -- Doesn't come in 1TB

Main drive is a 480 Samsung SSD

the 2011/2012 cd bus speed doesnt support sata3... that said, if you put the smaller (most likely slower sata2) drive in the optibay and the larger drive in the main spot ur system should be fine. I just moved my system over from 2009 13" to a 2012 15" a few hours ago. save ur cash
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:09 PM - 13 February, 2016
Previously owned a 2011 MBP and I installed a 1tb 7200rpm drive in the optibay.
I bought all the parts from eBay and used this HGST drive www.hgst.com
Worked flawlessly till I sold the laptop.
Dj_Nix 9:25 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:

Mthe drives in mine are also the hgst but I have the 750gb. My drive is sata2
Code:E 9:32 PM - 13 February, 2016
Not all late 2011 macs where created equal. Some can and some can't handle larger HD's in the opt bay. The best thing todo is to buy a larger HD from OWC. they wrote there own firmware to force sata 3 drives to run in sata 2 mode so that theres no isses in the opt bay.
Dj_Nix 9:51 PM - 13 February, 2016
Quote:
Not all late 2011 macs where created equal. Some can and some can't handle larger HD's in the opt bay. The best thing todo is to buy a larger HD from OWC. they wrote there own firmware to force sata 3 drives to run in sata 2 mode so that theres no isses in the opt bay.

Hmmmm good to know. I'll be in the market for a larger drive soon.
DEE JAY BASS 4:36 AM - 23 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Mthe drives in mine are also the hgst but I have the 750gb. My drive is sata2

The HGST!!!! WORKED LIKE A DREAM SON!!!! RESPECT