DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Vestax VCI-400. Is it still worth buying?

DJ Skitz (USA) 7:42 PM - 9 February, 2016
I have always been a die hard turntable and mixer DJ. However, I have recently hit my breaking point and I need something small and easy for gigs with tiny booths. I DJ fairly regularly at this bar that only has enough space for one turntable and a laptop on a stand. Im tired of have to be a contortionist to set it all up when the room is crowded. Also playing instant doubles all night has become really old.

After a little research the Vestax VCI-400 seems to be a great choice for me. I like it's small size and versatility. It seems to me to be the most professional and well built unit close to it's size. I know there are better controllers on the market but they're all bigger than I want.

The real question is: Should I buy a controller from a dead company? Am I crazy? Im sure eventually the unit won't be supported by a future update to Serato DJ, but for now it seems like the best option for me. What do you think? Anyone with a VCI-400 have experience any negatives? Should I go in a different direction and buy a controller from a company that's still in business?
Mr. Goodkat 9:38 PM - 9 February, 2016
id grab one or a vci 380. 380 doesnt require serato license. might look fo replacement faders before you buy and get a couple just in case. last time i looked they were available.
577er 9:41 PM - 9 February, 2016
As much as I liked the VCI-380, Vestax suffered a ton of quality issues in their final days. I wouldn't use one ever again. Same for the 400. Just too sketchy for a paid gig IMO.
577er 9:46 PM - 9 February, 2016
Just to clarify, I had a 380 go bad almost out of the box. returned it for a replacement that also developed problems, that were fixed with a new crossfader, but it want bad again with a different problem after about 3 months. Also picked up a used VCI300 MK2 which was great for little gigs but also want south on me.
pdidy 9:26 PM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:
Just to clarify, I had a 380 go bad almost out of the box. returned it for a replacement that also developed problems, that were fixed with a new crossfader, but it want bad again with a different problem after about 3 months. Also picked up a used VCI300 MK2 which was great for little gigs but also want south on me.

So you've had a ton of issues with all 3 models ? Hmmm
Joee 11:41 PM - 10 February, 2016
i to had issues with the crossfader on the vci 380

it started to bleed, i think it's expected tho

my friend also has a issues with the headphone jack & fader
577er 12:45 AM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

So you've had a ton of issues with all 3 models ? Hmmm

Probably a year total time from the first VCI380 till I gave up on the second one. Foolishly replaced it with a 300MK2 that lasted around a year. That one want bad in the the weirdest way. Randomly if you stopped a track using the star/pause button the next track loaded to that deck would only play if you held down the cue button. Any sometimes if you held down the cue button for a while and then hit play it would keep playing, sometimes... The jog sensitivity under the edge of the unity could also cause the platter to become unresponsive if set "wrong". So far the Pioneer DDJ line has done me well. Preferred the feel of the Vestax and the sound of the filter as well. The Pioneer filter is awful.
DTweed 1:13 AM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
id grab one or a vci 380. 380 doesnt require serato license. might look fo replacement faders before you buy and get a couple just in case. last time i looked they were available.

+1 way better than the 400
DJ Skitz (USA) 1:23 AM - 11 February, 2016
Thanks for all your input and warnings.
Any ideas for a an alternative controller thats close to the 400's size?
577er 1:40 AM - 11 February, 2016
The Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and Numark NS6 are probably the closest in layout, features.
charlee1985 9:30 AM - 18 October, 2016
I've got a Vestax VCI380 and is the best controller I owned. I've been using it for the last 5 years without any issues.
Flava Matikz 5:37 PM - 12 March, 2018
Quote:

Where can one find replacement upfaders?
DTweed 12:50 PM - 18 March, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Where can one find replacement upfaders?

Ebay and you better hurry because they're becoming harder to find