Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Just For Clarification

Xtendamix 4:19 PM - 8 February, 2016
Been talking to a lot of people recently and everyone is confused.

Legit Video Pools

Xtendamix
VJ-Pro/Smashvision
Promo Only

That's it! The rest aren't. They aren't paying royalties and they are on the radar of the labels. Period. If you have a promo deal, it doesn't count. You are not high enough up the food chain. Labels don't care about promo anymore. Videos are monetized assets and they wanna get paid for them. Whatever deal you think you have, it won't hold up in court, you will be taken down. Universal and Sony are on a tear to take all these pools down this year.

I know most DJs don't care, all I'm saying is if you continue to support the rest of them, fine, that's your decision. My only honest advice, is don't lock into a one-year term or any long term cause most of them won't see the end of 2016 and you won't get a refund.

Sorry guys, it's just how the industry goes!
popnwave 10:20 PM - 8 February, 2016
It's a bitter pill for some folks, but it's been headed this way since the mid 00s. I've mentioned before Universal was the first one to tell me "no more promo videos unless you pay!" and at that point it was a couple K $USD for me, a VJ with a single night weekly. Can't imagine the crap the pools have to deal with on the negotiation side.
Xtendamix 11:40 PM - 8 February, 2016
Been working on it for 3 years. I tell them I want their deals. They ask, "What Deals".

I say, any of the 50 pools that already exist...

They tell me they are aware of 2 of them. You know the rest of the story

Labels are focused on streaming..they want control of their content and to monetize it.

Streaming brings in ad revenue. Nothing is free. So anyone collecting money and not paying is on the chopping block.
DJ Tecniq 11:58 AM - 9 February, 2016
Is that why the legit pools all have tag info to keep the labels happy? I notice a lot of them do not. So sites like bpmsupreme, avdistrict, crooklynclan all going down.
Xtendamix 1:22 PM - 9 February, 2016
The tag is mandatory. In industry terms, it's called a Chyron. It's a visible watermark.

Tagless = bootleg

Why tell the labels who you are if you don't really exist
Why tag an illegal product and show the labels you are bootlegging
Mr. Goodkat 6:49 PM - 18 March, 2016
is dj city legit ?
Marv Incredible 8:25 PM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
s dj city legit ?

I think this thread is more about video pools and so far as I know, DJ city don't do video.
popnwave 10:10 PM - 18 March, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
s dj city legit ?

I think this thread is more about video pools and so far as I know, DJ city don't do video.

Yeah I went and looked around myself and didn't see them pushing videos other than those of DJs actually doing routines.
Mr. Goodkat 10:55 PM - 18 March, 2016
ah. so again is there some sort of licensing agency that can charge venues for content used?
popnwave 6:41 PM - 19 March, 2016
Quote:
ah. so again is there some sort of licensing agency that can charge venues for content used?

There are plenty and it varies between countries and territories.. US has the BMI/SESAC/ASCAP, Canada uses AVLA, and the UK and EU has it's own rules.

Most of the time a legit US bar is paying the fees, if you are a mobile jock it really depends on if it's a well known wedding hall or otherwise that is paying licensing. If not you are responsible to at least be using a legit pool or you're on the hook.
Mr. Goodkat 8:40 PM - 19 March, 2016
ah, thanks, i knew about bmi/ascap as far a music goes, i just didnt know if there was a video licensing one as well since its vid and not audio content.
djpuma_gemini 3:35 PM - 22 March, 2016
Djcity is an audio pool and I won't speak on anything video related with them.
Jim Davis Productions 11:31 AM - 16 March, 2017
Quote:
if you are a mobile jock it really depends on if it's a well known wedding hall or otherwise that is paying licensing. If not you are responsible to at least be using a legit pool or you're on the hook.

I know this thread is a year old, but I wanted to clarify the above statement.

In the U.S., if you aren't charging admission to an event, and it isn't open to the "general public," it's considered a "private" event and not subject to BMI/ASCAP licensing requirements -- i.e. pretty much every wedding.

If a wedding venue wanted to hold a "bridal show," for example, and charge vendors and attendees, and they had a DJ spinning copyrighted music, that's different. But private weddings and parties - no licensing needed.

The second part of the statement doesn't make sense. A DJ's responsibility to obtain music from a legit source or to purchase it legally doesn't depend on a venue's licensing whatsoever.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, but when I was starting as a wedding DJ, it was threads like this that had me confused until I finally spoke to industry people that knew what they were talking about. For anyone that wants to check, there are FAQs on BMI and ASCAP's sites discussing licensing as well. (I don't know about rules outside the U.S.)