DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need advise about macbook pro

djgiannis 10:22 AM - 8 February, 2016
Dear friends,

First of all sorry for my poor english.It's not my native language.
I owe a 2009 macbook pro 15,with Core2duo 2.53,4GB ram,250GB.
It came with 10.6.8 and i never upgraded to a newer OSX.i still use Serato itch software,cause i am the kind of guy that if something works,i don't bother upgrading.
I only do wedding gigs and the macbook still works like a charm.
It is optimized for djing only.I haven't installed any other software except itch and i don't use it for anything else.Not even surfing.Battery lasts 3 hours,but i only use it plugged in a/c power.

Now i think of upgrading to serato dj,cause i bought a compatible controller.
So,i need advise from experienced macbook pro users.
I have 2 options

A)Do a major upgrade.Switch to ssd and 8GB ram..make a clean install of latest OSX..cost in my country,about 500 us dollars in an authorised repair center.

B)This March i am travelling to Singapore and i have the opportunity of buying the entry level macbook pro 2015,with 256 ssd,2.2,16GB ram at changi airport tax free,for about 1800 US dollars.(256gb storage is not a problem.It's enough for my mp3's).
Of course i know that it is not the best time to buy a macbook pro,because in a few months is coming the 2016 version with skylake..But what can i do?
Consider also that i wil sell the old macbook for about 350 dollars to a friend,so switcing to the new macbook pro, will cost me about 1450 dollars.

So..What do you guys think i should do?
The macbook pro 2015 worth the 950 us dollars more ,versus to a 2009 machine with upgraded storage and ram?
Will the upgraded 2009 machine do the job fine for the next 2-3 years?Or i will have compatibility issues with the upcoming software versions?

Thank you very much for your help!
Dj_Nix 7:43 AM - 9 February, 2016
I wouldn't get the 13" mbp.
Dj_Nix 7:56 AM - 9 February, 2016
I would keep the 09 and upgrade to ssd. I personally just upgraded from my 09 13" to the mid 12 15". But I wouldn't get another 13 for djing because they don't have the dedicated video card
DJ_Smurf 1:31 PM - 9 February, 2016
I have a 2012 version of macbook pro 13 inch does that fall under the category of no dedicated video card? or is that seemingly updated intel hd graphics what that is? lol fingers crosseddd
DJ_Smurf 1:33 PM - 9 February, 2016
ok wait i read your last post it does not have it , thanks!
djgiannis 5:22 PM - 9 February, 2016
What about the core2duo processor?
Is it compatible with serato?
And even if a core2duo machine can handle the latest version of serato,what will happen in 1-2 years?
DJMark 5:50 PM - 9 February, 2016
Don't bother upgrading that 2009 MacBook Pro.

Especially, don't waste your time and money on putting an SSD in it. There are some specific and severe issues with the internal SATA busses in the particular model you have, and you're very likely to see a lot of "beachball" and severely degraded performance if you replace the hard drive. I've helped a few friends who had that same model, ended up resorting to firmware hacks and a lot of time spent.

You're also asking the right questions in terms of SDJ's performance on Core2Duo processors.

I'd leave that machine alone (your original logic of "if something works, i don't bother upgrading" is well-taken in this case) and look at getting a much newer MBP if you feel a need to use SDJ.
djgiannis 5:59 PM - 9 February, 2016
Thank you DJMark,for your post.
It was very helpful.
I also thank all the guys that participated.
Finally i 'll go for a new MBP.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:04 PM - 13 February, 2016
Did you try Serato DJ and a compatible controller on it?
Any issues?