DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Booth monitor outputs - Stereo or Mono?

Taipanic 3:22 PM - 2 February, 2016
Are the booth outputs on most mixers and controllers stereo or mono? Specifically, the DDJ-SZ if you know for sure one way or another.
577er 7:06 PM - 2 February, 2016
Stereo.
DJ Matty Stiles 11:19 PM - 2 February, 2016
I wish more were mono
577er 11:46 PM - 2 February, 2016
You could take both booth outs from a mixer or controller into a self powered speaker with dual ins you would get a summed mono signal. Or you could just get a cheap DI with a mono feature

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.bhphotovideo.com
Taipanic 2:42 AM - 3 February, 2016
I have been summing them but have been having signal cut out lately. In the process of determining if it's the adaptor, cable or speaker. If they were mono I could cut the adaptor out of the signal chain.
I agree with you Matty, mono is always better for DJ monitors, don't know why they are built with stereo outs for a DJ mixer.
DJMark 2:58 AM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
I have been summing them but have been having signal cut out lately. In the process of determining if it's the adaptor, cable or speaker. If they were mono I could cut the adaptor out of the signal chain.
I agree with you Matty, mono is always better for DJ monitors, don't know why they are built with stereo outs for a DJ mixer.

If you're just using a simple "Y" adapter to "sum" stereo outputs into mono, that's actually not good for the electronics. You're effectively shorting two outputs together.

Either a separate mixer, or isolation resistors should be used. The second option may limit how much cable may be used but should be fine for the likely distances you'd use for booth monitors.

Personally I prefer monitoring in stereo, I find using just one monitor really uncomfortable.
DJMark 3:16 AM - 3 February, 2016
BTW the "signal cutout" you mention may be the output opamps protecting themselves (because of the two outputs being shorted). Eventually the opamp IC may be damaged.
dj_soo 12:35 PM - 3 February, 2016
I wish serato would allow you to select stereo or mono independently for all the outputs - including the headphones.
Taipanic 2:32 PM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
BTW the "signal cutout" you mention may be the output opamps protecting themselves (because of the two outputs being shorted). Eventually the opamp IC may be damaged.

I agree. It had been setup up that way for a while so I didn't even think about the summing being bad, which I knew in the back of my head somewhere. Picking up new cable and removing the "Y" connector, will test again this weekend.
RonDu 6:45 PM - 3 February, 2016
I was kind of concerned about this issue as well. For example, if I am playing like a small house party or a "shoot the $h*t" type of thing I will bring my controller and one powered speaker. However, using one output channel into the powered speaker causes loss in some of the audio, especially with songs that were mixed in the 60's and early 70's. I thought there would've been an adapter of some sort that would take the stereo signal from my controller or external mixer and make it mono so none of the audio would be sacrificed without causing any harm. But as 577er stated, I can just use the other input on the speaker to sum it up. Then I can either use the crappy mic input on the controller or use the one on the external mixer.

Good looks, everyone! *dapz*
dj_soo 8:44 PM - 3 February, 2016
in the case of running a single speaker - just use one channel and set Serato to mono within the software. All the summing is then done in the program.
RonDu 9:51 PM - 3 February, 2016
Quote:
in the case of running a single speaker - just use one channel and set Serato to mono within the software. All the summing is then done in the program.

I didn't even know there was an option to set it to mono. Got to check it out when I get home.

Thanks *dapz*
Ulrich von Hurtem 12:26 AM - 4 February, 2016
When I want to mono my set up, I use a passive mixing box, in my mixer's (Rane TTM54i) effects loop. This is the solution that Rane support recommended, back in the pre-Serato days. It's nice because it monos all the mixer's outputs.

I use the circuit found in Rane Note 109 "Why Not Wye?"
www.rane.com

i.imgbox.com
djnak 12:41 AM - 4 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't even know there was an option to set it to mono. Got to check it out when I get home.

Thanks *dapz*

Yall need to be running serato in Mono from the Jump...I doubt any of us play in venues with true stereo set-ups.....
RonDu 2:16 PM - 4 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks *dapz*

Yall need to be running serato in Mono from the Jump...I doubt any of us play in venues with true stereo set-ups.....

Good point. Learn something new everyday.
Taipanic 3:17 PM - 4 February, 2016
Quote:

I'm already running Mono through Serato. I'll be testing tonight with a new cable for the monitor. I'll run through some good 60's channelized tracks and see how they sound.
Tyke! 5:31 PM - 7 November, 2017
Old post but seems most likely place to ask a Q.

Wanting to run a single Mackie Thump 12 at a house party (really don't need two, or have two for that matter) but I'm playing quite a few old tunes with drastic panning.

I 'thought' there was a mono out option in Serato's audio tab but it's gone. Is it just me? :)

If it has gone... what's the best way to run one speaker? Any ideas? DI box, mixer, etc.

I'm under the impression that summing can cause issues so don't want to use a Y converter.
577er 5:43 PM - 7 November, 2017
Quote:
Old post but seems most likely place to ask a Q.

Wanting to run a single Mackie Thump 12 at a house party (really don't need two, or have two for that matter) but I'm playing quite a few old tunes with drastic panning.

I 'thought' there was a mono out option in Serato's audio tab but it's gone. Is it just me? :)

If it has gone... what's the best way to run one speaker? Any ideas? DI box, mixer, etc.

I'm under the impression that summing can cause issues so don't want to use a Y converter.

Setup -> Mixer -> General -> Output... mono.