DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

110v to 220v Transformer Swap.

DJ Marv the Maverick 7:47 PM - 28 January, 2016
I have a pair of Stanton ST150 turntables that were purchased in the United States, I currently use them with a stepdown transformer which I take with me to gigs and events. This works fine and I have had no technical issues.
Lately it's been more of logistical issues eg forgetting it at home, leaving it behind at venues etc.

This got me thinking is it possible to open up the unit and swap out the 110v transformer for a 220v?

I had this procedure done for a Numark twin deck back in the 00s where the internal 110v transformer blew and a technician just replaced with a 220v.

I have searched online for the part list, I'm willing to attempt this swap myself as I've rang a few independent technicians where I am but the only turntable they are happy to work with are Technics.

I have emailed focuriste (UK Stanton Distributors) for a quote on the transformer.

Part Number - SHP0344

So besides the transformer is there any other thing that needs to be changed?
Hanginon 8:56 PM - 28 January, 2016
I think it should also be possible to not open up the units, and simply wire the primaries of both transformers in series across the 220V - this assumes you always have both units with you and both are always "on". This is the "zero cost" option.
Hanginon 9:00 PM - 28 January, 2016
The answer to your actual question is nothing but the transformers needs to be changed.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:07 AM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
The answer to your actual question is nothing but the transformers needs to be changed.

Sourced the transformer. I will try the swap on one TT to be safe.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:52 PM - 15 February, 2016
Opened up the TT. Looks like a simple swap but there is a little board carrying a fuse and what looks like a capacitor and two resistors. (I'm not an electronic guy - capacitor is cylindrical and black, resistors look like blue beans). That pre-transformer assembly is being held down by two screws which I can't reach - yet.
Gonna pop into the local hardware shop to pick up some tools.

Anyways I'm wondering if the "pre transformer" board can handle the 220v that comes straight to it.

Photos here

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com

www.dropbox.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:56 PM - 15 February, 2016
The pre-transformer board
www.dropbox.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:24 PM - 15 February, 2016
Moment of truth. Here goes
DJ Marv the Maverick 1:01 PM - 16 February, 2016
Completed the US to UK transformer swap last night. ( beside some evil screws getting in my way, nearly striping it, also got a laceration whilst removing the platter).
Turntable works fine, no need for stepdown transformer again.
Great stuff!
DJ Quartz 4:43 AM - 17 February, 2016
Cool!!

Good to know if ever needed to be done.
djcrap 2:07 AM - 18 February, 2016
I wonder if that same method of replacing the transformer could work with a rane mixer?
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:42 AM - 18 February, 2016
Quote:
I wonder if that same method of replacing the transformer could work with a rane mixer?

Rane 62 mixers have universal voltage. Bought my 62 in the US and works fine here in Ireland (220v). Look for a voltage switch.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:44 AM - 18 February, 2016
Just to add, swapping to the 220v seems to have gotten rid of a tiny hum i get sometimes when connecting my one of my HD screens to my laptop via HDMI. Previously once i bring the HDMI cable even close to the macbook hdmi port i will get a tiny lil hum.

Maybe its in my head though.
iknowseano 4:34 PM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
Completed the US to UK transformer swap last night. ( beside some evil screws getting in my way, nearly striping it, also got a laceration whilst removing the platter).
Turntable works fine, no need for stepdown transformer again.
Great stuff!

Hi Marv, I'm moving to Canada next month and have the opposite issue in that i need to change my Stantons from 240v to 110v!

I'm tempted to try what you did and put 110v power transformer in. Just wondering if you have the part number for the 110v transformers you took out of your 150's?

Thanks.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:38 PM - 11 August, 2016
I have my 110v transformers if you need em.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:40 PM - 11 August, 2016
It's a pretty easy swap. You will need to get US leads when you hit Canada though. Hit me up on the PM.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:44 PM - 11 August, 2016
F3rrograph 11:52 AM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:

Would you be kind enough to tell where you got supply of the transformer?

Thanks.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:15 AM - 13 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Would you be kind enough to tell where you got supply of the transformer?

Thanks.

From Stanton support www.stantondj.com