DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

2 kw181 OR 2 Yamaha dxs18

Jake2007 2:09 AM - 24 January, 2016
Need some opinion on the right move. i previously own four kw181 with the option to send two of them back because i recently purchased them. i have two dxr15 tops to compliment the subs. my dilema is being that i haven't heard the new yamahas and no store that carries them near by to demo them, i'm asking if its worth sending the two kw181's back and get two of the dxs18's and later in the future sell my other two kw181's and buy two more dxs18s after that to have a total of four of them. Or are the kw181s i have now, close to sounding what the yamaha dxs18s would sound like to where its not even worth the hassle! Any advice is appreciated!
DTweed 2:20 PM - 24 January, 2016
Quote:
Need some opinion on the right move. i previously own four kw181 with the option to send two of them back because i recently purchased them. i have two dxr15 tops to compliment the subs. my dilema is being that i haven't heard the new yamahas and no store that carries them near by to demo them, i'm asking if its worth sending the two kw181's back and get two of the dxs18's and later in the future sell my other two kw181's and buy two more dxs18s after that to have a total of four of them. Or are the kw181s i have now, close to sounding what the yamaha dxs18s would sound like to where its not even worth the hassle! Any advice is appreciated!

Sorry going to have to answer a question with a question. Do you love how your 4 KW181 sounds? If so, save yourself the hassle and stick with your set up. Getting the DSX18 might only sound slightly better and not worth the hassle. Also thing about the aesthetics are you doing 2 subs per side? I believe the DSX are taller so wont look quite good stacked.

Personally I wouldn't switch out. I think us as humans and DJs as gear whores tend to find reasons to upgrade or switch out things when its not necessary. I say keep your current set up and figure out how to get the max out of it
Joee 4:33 PM - 24 January, 2016
i had a chance to listen to the dxs18 & kills the kw181………if the extra weight isnt a problem i would get the dxs18
Jake2007 6:04 PM - 24 January, 2016
@DTweed....... i mean ive yet to use all 4 kw181s as ive only gotten the other two recently, so i havnt had a chance to test them all together in a real world application, but yea id say the two ive used so far have satisfied me from what i was previously using which was a alto sub and the cerwin vega 118. But for some reason i always want more lol which i agree with you is where the "gear whore" fever comes in to play!

@joee... yea before i purchased the extra two kw181 ,i was debating the yorkvilles because how good everyone talks about them, i also seen your post where u referenced the yamahas dxs18 as a mini yorkville.....

I guess my goal is to acheive a lot of bass no matter weather inside/outside , so i read somewhere u want more bass get more subs, but looking ahead to the future i know with more bass comes the dilema of having to buy tops to keep up as well! I will ponder it over myself and debate!

Thanx for the insight fellas
JDforKing 12:15 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
@DTweed....... i mean ive yet to use all 4 kw181s as ive only gotten the other two recently, so i havnt had a chance to test them all together in a real world application, but yea id say the two ive used so far have satisfied me from what i was previously using which was a alto sub and the cerwin vega 118. But for some reason i always want more lol which i agree with you is where the "gear whore" fever comes in to play!

@joee... yea before i purchased the extra two kw181 ,i was debating the yorkvilles because how good everyone talks about them, i also seen your post where u referenced the yamahas dxs18 as a mini yorkville.....

I guess my goal is to acheive a lot of bass no matter weather inside/outside , so i read somewhere u want more bass get more subs, but looking ahead to the future i know with more bass comes the dilema of having to buy tops to keep up as well! I will ponder it over myself and debate!

Thanx for the insight fellas

What did you end up doing?
DJ GaFFle 4:35 PM - 4 August, 2017
I'd go the DXS18 route.
Rebelguy 5:01 PM - 4 August, 2017
The yamahas are substantially heavier and bigger than the KW181s. Do you plan on doing larger events? Do you know anyone else that had the yamahas if you need to cross rent?
JDforKing 5:33 PM - 4 August, 2017
I'm only concerned with the yamahas. I have no interest in the qsc kw181 my other option is a jbl srx828sp. Most times I'm by myself and want to be able to move whatever subs. I will get the caster kits for whichever one I choose
Rebelguy 7:13 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
I'm only concerned with the yamahas. I have no interest in the qsc kw181 my other option is a jbl srx828sp. Most times I'm by myself and want to be able to move whatever subs. I will get the caster kits for whichever one I choose

What kind of transportation do you have? The only reason I ask is that the Yamaha's are a pain in the butt to lift into a vehicle.
JDforKing 7:16 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

What kind of transportation do you have? The only reason I ask is that the Yamaha's are a pain in the butt to lift into a vehicle.

I'll probably be renting a vehicle from U haul, a van, small truck or a small trailer.
Arjun B 11:40 PM - 4 August, 2017
Quote:
Read my reply on the other thread JD!

serato.com

but like Rebelguy said, the Yamaha is a pain in the ass to lift, whereas the JBL can be tilted and rolled in with casters. I would go with the KW181 or the SRX818sp if anyone is thinking of buying the DXS18. The dxs18 just doesn't live up to the hype in my opinion. I've also spoke with other DJ's and they're not impressed either.
pdidy 3:17 AM - 9 August, 2017
my preference
1. jbl srx828sp
2. 2 x qsc kw181
3. DXS18

my mobile dj preference
1. 2 x qsc kw181
2. jbl srx828sp
3. DXS18
JDforKing 3:43 AM - 9 August, 2017
I decided to go with a pair the jbl prx718xlf. I'm able to rent the pair for $120 for the weekend. The place i'm renting them from will also drop off the stage and the generator i'm renting so it's more convenient and less expensive than bring out my subs or buying new subs.
JDforKing 3:44 AM - 9 August, 2017
Quote:
I decided to go with a pair the jbl prx718xlf. I'm able to rent the pair for $120 for the weekend. The place i'm renting them from will also drop off the stage and the generator i'm renting so it's more convenient and less expensive than bring out my subs or buying new subs.

*bringing
DJ gsr 4:57 AM - 10 August, 2017
Quote:
my preference
1. jbl srx828sp
2. 2 x qsc kw181
3. DXS18

my mobile dj preference
1. 2 x qsc kw181
2. jbl srx828sp
3. DXS18
Jake2007 4:19 AM - 11 August, 2017
@JDforKing.....i ended up keeping the 4 kw181s man.....i recently did a a descent sized hall and felt like it was plenty...and tha compliments on the sound reassured me of it.
JDforKing 1:37 PM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
@JDforKing.....i ended up keeping the 4 kw181s man.....i recently did a a descent sized hall and felt like it was plenty...and tha compliments on the sound reassured me of it.

What tops did you run with the subs?
Jake2007 3:18 PM - 11 August, 2017
@JDForKing......I used the yamaha dxr 15s.
JDforKing 5:19 PM - 11 August, 2017
Quote:
@JDForKing......I used the yamaha dxr 15s.

How many yamaha dxr15s did you use? What type of event?
Jake2007 5:57 PM - 11 August, 2017
How many yamaha dxr15s did you use? What type of event?

I only used the two running at about 1 or 2 oclock and subs all at half..... it was a quincaniera.
Jake2007 5:59 PM - 11 August, 2017
@JDForKing

I must also point out i was using a dbx gorack as well.