DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Rookie: How to begin?

Gid 10:24 AM - 21 January, 2016
Hi all...

Even though I have listened to house music and the like for 10-12 years, I dont really know
a lot about the deed of DJ-ing. I would like to gain the overview of how to get started, what products to look at investing in get a foundation and perhaps what the next steps in terms of learning by myself, through what courses etc...

Anyone who has any good info to share and help me out with, is appreciated, thanks!

Gideon
iamtew 11:37 AM - 21 January, 2016
There's tons of info about this on the /r/Beatmatch subreddit, check out their wiki here: www.reddit.com

But to get you started learn beat- and phrase matching, and practice that a lot. You need that for a solid foundation, and after that go ahead and try out different techniques in mixing or transitions, maybe use effects, etc.

Beat matching: www.reddit.com
Phrase matching: www.reddit.com

Good luck!
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:27 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Hi all...

Even though I have listened to house music and the like for 10-12 years, I dont really know
a lot about the deed of DJ-ing. I would like to gain the overview of how to get started, what products to look at investing in get a foundation and perhaps what the next steps in terms of learning by myself, through what courses etc...

Anyone who has any good info to share and help me out with, is appreciated, thanks!

Gideon

You can start practicing your jesus pose now, its easy, just do jumping jacks but leave your hands wayyyy up in.the air. You know, like you just dont care! When you can do with for 45 minutes you can make it more challenging by adding liquor
Thundercat 10:18 PM - 21 January, 2016
Just going to go with my standard first response to these type of threads:

Why do you want to learn to DJ?
What is your endgame?
Gio Alex 10:48 PM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:
Just going to go with my standard first response to these type of threads:

Why do you want to learn to DJ?
What is your endgame?

This.
Gid 8:40 PM - 23 January, 2016
Thanks for all the responses and great info to find there, iamtew - thank you!

Thundercat - it is a great question.

I have really enjoyed listening to house music and the like for many years and I am just realizing that I get great joy out of that type of music. Now that I have done some research it looks very simple to start and to play around with making your own music - a whole new world seems to have opened up and I thought it would be a lot of fun to create something and develop my skills as I go...

End game for now... would be to first of all get started, then first goal is to create my own first track.
Phuture2 12:00 AM - 25 January, 2016
Do research on google and practice practice practice.
Gid 7:47 AM - 25 January, 2016

What software program do you all use or recommend using?
DJ Emir 9:28 AM - 25 January, 2016
If this were 1980 or even 1990 the response to what equipment to get would be clear... Get Two Technics Turntables and the best mixer you could afford. Hell that's still the response for me LOL but now there are many choices for a new beginner. There really is no real standard anymore, there are things you will find standard in clubs still and those would be CDJs and in larger clubs you can still find Technics turntables. The early 2000's you saw a bunch of clubs that had both set ups Turntables and CDJs... Now many DJs bring in their own equipment and plug in if they do not use the two oldchool standard set ups as everyone has different set ups now. Most DJs are either on Serato or Traktor... obviously most of the DJs in a Serato forum are using you guessed it Serato software. I myself use Serato Scratch live on my old laptop with an SL1 box if need be... or more likely using my new laptop and Serato DJ on my Pioneer DJM-S9 mixer with two Technics 1200 turntables or with several of my friend's Rane TTM57 mixers and Rane TTM62 Mixers . Many people have also started using Pioneer have started using controllers like the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and the Numark NS7 mixer controller combos. The best start is to talk to any DJs you know and practice on their equipment to see how you like it and visit your local Musician supply store like Guitar Center or Prosound etc...
Phuture2 12:28 PM - 25 January, 2016
Look into pioneers Rekordbox as well. Only thing is Rekordbox on works with pioneers equipment like cdj's and controllers.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses and great info to find there, iamtew - thank you!

Thundercat - it is a great question.

I have really enjoyed listening to house music and the like for many years and I am just realizing that I get great joy out of that type of music. Now that I have done some research it looks very simple to start and to play around with making your own music - a whole new world seems to have opened up and I thought it would be a lot of fun to create something and develop my skills as I go...

End game for now... would be to first of all get started, then first goal is to create my own first track.

Sounds to me like you want to be a producer....not a dj
Gio Alex 3:50 PM - 25 January, 2016
Quote:
If this were 1980 or even 1990 the response to what equipment to get would be clear... Get Two Technics Turntables and the best mixer you could afford. Hell that's still the response for me LOL but now there are many choices for a new beginner. There really is no real standard anymore, there are things you will find standard in clubs still and those would be CDJs and in larger clubs you can still find Technics turntables. The early 2000's you saw a bunch of clubs that had both set ups Turntables and CDJs... Now many DJs bring in their own equipment and plug in if they do not use the two oldchool standard set ups as everyone has different set ups now. Most DJs are either on Serato or Traktor... obviously most of the DJs in a Serato forum are using you guessed it Serato software. I myself use Serato Scratch live on my old laptop with an SL1 box if need be... or more likely using my new laptop and Serato DJ on my Pioneer DJM-S9 mixer with two Technics 1200 turntables or with several of my friend's Rane TTM57 mixers and Rane TTM62 Mixers . Many people have also started using Pioneer have started using controllers like the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and the Numark NS7 mixer controller combos. The best start is to talk to any DJs you know and practice on their equipment to see how you like it and visit your local Musician supply store like Guitar Center or Prosound etc...

Pretty much everything you said. I have a client/student and I recommended two turntables + mixer + a couple records to start off with blending and so on. She's def happy b'cuz not only do you learn the foundation but you appreciate set planning and music selection. Now she uses serato. I will say though, obviously you can't recommend that to everyone since there are so many options. But I feel like it's a great way to start because you're forced to mix by ear.
Gid 10:00 AM - 27 January, 2016
Yep, DJ-M. Bezzle, I believe that is what I am mostly attracted to, at least as a foundation.
I heard from a professional that is the way to go and I really thought it would be cool to make your own stuff.

I really appreciate all the info, I guess I am still confused about the best thing to start off with and if I want to focus on creating my own stuff first if the software to do that, is what to go for and then add a Traktor later on, when I begin to feel like starting with mixing etc?

And yes, there is so many options that it is like a jungle to get clear on what will make the most sense to start of with as a foundation.
Gio Alex 1:04 PM - 27 January, 2016
Anytime someone mentions Traktor to start with I immediately think (1) pirating, and then (2) using just a laptop (pushing keys) and hitting sync. But that's just my opinion though.
Gid 6:46 PM - 27 January, 2016
I will get a controller when I get Traktor
Thundercat 10:46 PM - 27 January, 2016
One more question: what type of house? [cite examples please (artists/tracks)]

This will allow me to more clearly dial into what direction I should point you. Cynical me was about to post a response until mellow me talked me into getting more info first.
Gio Alex 10:50 PM - 27 January, 2016
Quote:
Cynical me was about to post a response until mellow me talked me into getting more info first.

Lol.. I think we can all relate.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:08 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
Yep, DJ-M. Bezzle, I believe that is what I am mostly attracted to, at least as a foundation.
I heard from a professional that is the way to go and I really thought it would be cool to make your own stuff.

I really appreciate all the info, I guess I am still confused about the best thing to start off with and if I want to focus on creating my own stuff first if the software to do that, is what to go for and then add a Traktor later on, when I begin to feel like starting with mixing etc?

And yes, there is so many options that it is like a jungle to get clear on what will make the most sense to start of with as a foundation.

ignore everything anyone in here tells you. Just get ableton and music theory for dummys and fet to work making tracks
Gid 2:19 AM - 28 January, 2016
Thundercat:
I like the following, to give you an idea:
- Watchwww.youtube.com
- Watchwww.youtube.com
- Watchwww.youtube.com

I like many others of course,but do like the slow build up and
great energy that are in these songs...
nathans1 7:49 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
Thundercat:
I like the following, to give you an idea:
- Watchwww.youtube.com
- Watchwww.youtube.com
- Watchwww.youtube.com

I like many others of course,but do like the slow build up and
great energy that are in these songs...

You should private message dj Kidx on this forum. You and him have a similar "je ne sais quoi". You could both feed off of each other and I'm sure he can give you some great advise. He plays piano and djs and I think he also wants to get into production. Do you have a girlfriend? Never mind the last question...
Gid 7:56 AM - 28 January, 2016
Nothing comes up when I search for that name?
nathans1 7:59 AM - 28 January, 2016
DJ Kid X
nathans1 8:03 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
DJ Kid X

DJ KidX

His most recent thread is "need some advice from the pros"
Gid 8:11 AM - 28 January, 2016
Thanks man, I search and search but nothing come up with him
nathans1 10:40 AM - 28 January, 2016
Quote:
Thanks man, I search and search but nothing come up with him

DJ KidX

His most recent thread is "need some advice from the pros"

Yeah that's a real toughy!!! Good Luck DJ GidX
Dj_Nix 7:28 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
There's tons of info about this on the /r/Beatmatch subreddit, check out their wiki here: www.reddit.com

But to get you started learn beat- and phrase matching, and practice that a lot. You need that for a solid foundation, and after that go ahead and try out different techniques in mixing or transitions, maybe use effects, etc.

Beat matching: www.reddit.com
Phrase matching: www.reddit.com

Good luck!

Whooooaaaa! Even I didn't know about this. I slowly falling in love with reddit, its got everything. That's a great resource
Gid 4:07 AM - 30 January, 2016
Thundercat, will love to hear your response after listening to the three examples I posted, in terms of what direction you would recommend etc...
Thundercat 3:13 AM - 31 January, 2016
Not touching this one. Walking away slowly.
Gid 4:07 AM - 31 January, 2016
Why?