DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Solid set up but only basic knowledge

PhantomFunk 4:20 AM - 21 January, 2016
I've been getting into mixing the past year or so since it's something I've wanted to do as a kid. Saved up and got myself a pair of Technic 1200mk2, SL2, and a Denon DN-X1500s with a MacBook Pro running an i7, 16GB RAM, and 512GB Flash. I also have an iPad mini and a set of dicers for cueing and effects.

It's gear I've built up over the year or two that I've been playing, but I want to get serious and get out of the bedroom! I've been to many live performances and seen Gas Lamp Killer play a few times this year which inspired me immensely! My problem is I've been stuck in the past, I just recently got my new laptop and before I could hardly even run Scratch Live on my SL1 and 2007 macbook pro.

To the meat though! I feel like I'm missing out on a lot here in the gap. Playing with the app on my iPad is real nice and I can do a lot more, so I'm thinking there's a lot of stuff I still don't know. Keep in mind I'm also still learning how to mix properly as well. I wanted to get down a basic knowledge of mixing and blending nice and before I got down to the real intense stuff.

So if you can go back to when you were starting, what would you tell yourself?
wicked223 6:59 PM - 4 February, 2016
just keep practicing basic mixing...to hell with all this fancy new software...