Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

19035: MAC itunes library errors

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
nuwave_afro 9:01 PM - 18 May, 2009
biggest issue is 'date added' field discrepencies between itunes and SSL. for whatever reason, SSL assigns random groups of (old)tracks (new/recent)add dates. this is bad because i keep my library listed by date. luckily, the change is local to SSL and everything still works fine in itunes. even after toggling 'read itunes library', restarting, reBOOTing... it still happens.

it *seems* to happen after i play a old track for the first time since using 1.9, then that track and random others from the same artist or album will also display incorrect add dates.

im running leopard(10.5.3) on a Santa Rosa MacBook, and my itunes is probably old at this point(8.0). also note that SSL1.9 is my first venture into having SSL read my itunes library cuz i actually like it now that its collapse-able.

i also have beef with SSL changing the title tags (into artist - title) but that seems to be generlly harmless. plus i already bothered yous about it:)

please help, thanks
-af-
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:38 PM - 19 May, 2009
Hey nuwave,

Have you rebuilt your databaseV2 file lately?
This would revert all of your date added info to the current date.

If not then it might be a 1.9 bug.
If this is the case, and the date added is really important to you, then I would revert back to 1.8.3 until the bug can be fixed.

Also.. please upload your ScratchLIVE folder here -->scratchlive.net so we can have a look at it.
We'll report our findings.

Thanks!
nuwave_afro 1:20 AM - 20 May, 2009
Quote:
Have you rebuilt your databaseV2 file lately?
This would revert all of your date added info to the current date.

zach my man! thanks for getting on this - it looks like you guys are super busy, so again, thank you.

regarding databaseV2, how do i do this? if im reading right, then this i what i DONT want. the date added IS important to me, but as long as i can see it in itunes ill live. im staying with 1.9, forget it. loop rolling on my 57 and history win all day...

im uploading folder and leaving situation alone til you can take a look at it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:49 PM - 20 May, 2009
Ya.. it might just be that your databaseV2 file has gotten bunked up.
I'm afraid the only fix is to rename it.
Renaming it will revert all of your date added to todays date but will fix future problems.

If you don't mind losing that info in SSL then I would suggest rebuilding the file.

You would do this by first making sure SSL is completely quit, opening up the _ScratchLIVE_ folder (if your using an external drive) or the ScratchLIVE folder on your internal drive and rename the databaseV2 file something other than its original name. I would just say "databaseV2old".

Now re open SSL.
You will see your tags getting written at the bottom of the screen if done properly.

We'll check out the ScratchLIVE folder and let you know what we see.
nuwave_afro 8:53 PM - 20 May, 2009
okay.we may be talking about different things...

im only concerned with itunes' date added, NOT ssl's. is there a difference? either way, its not displaying correctly in ssl.

renaming the databaseV2 will change the SSL date added im sure.. which i can live with - but does it have any effect at all on itunes data? that would be problematic.

let me know & thanks again
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:41 PM - 20 May, 2009
No.. it will not have any effect over iTunes's database and won't effect the date added in iTunes.
nuwave_afro 4:54 PM - 21 May, 2009
ok - it seems like SSLs date added values (which ARE screwwed) are overriding the itunes values when the itunes library is displayed in SSL.

im concerned that the new add dates (from renaming the database) will do this as well.

im down to give it a shot if i can go back to my current databaseV2 if things go even further sideways:)
nuwave_afro 5:18 PM - 21 May, 2009
haa - more clues(?)...
these new add dates are actually duplicates (or aliases, no actual 2nd file) of existing songs in my library. so the dates arent being changed really, but somehow SSL is throwing 'newly added' instances into (its reading of) my itunes library.

you dont have my actual itunes library or xml, whatever - but you can spot these instances pretty easily... if you list by date added, they are in groups of 25-30 with the same add times. they should also be further down the list with their 'true' add date. in my actual itunes library, these groups dont exist

i still cant figure out why its picking certain files to do this to, lol.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:35 PM - 21 May, 2009
Just so we're clear.. the tracks with the newly added date are duplicate files?
If so, do these files play?

What are the location of the duplicate and the original file?
nuwave_afro 6:24 PM - 21 May, 2009
same location - no *actual* duplicate. 2 references to same actual file. both play fine. i can set different cue points on them, which is interesting if not helpful here.

unfortunately, this isnt 100% reproducible. sorry. checking right now.. more than a few cases - Jamie Foxx 'i dont need it', Nas '2nd childhood inst'...

when only one instance of the file exists, it has the newer(wrong) date only.

i got a gig now, so ill have to test more later
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:06 PM - 21 May, 2009
Ya.. I think this is a known bug in Scratch LIVE. It has to do with Scratch LIVE not recognizing lower and upper case letters differently I think.

I'll alert the Serato developers and see if they have any suggestions.
nuwave_afro 2:07 PM - 22 May, 2009
that would explain the nas(nas, Nas, NaS) but whether files duplicate or not - serato still has the main problem with reading my itunes library correctly.

if i rename databaseV2 and it makes the problem worse (ssl add dates showing up in itunes view), can i switch back?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:52 PM - 22 May, 2009
Quote:
if i rename databaseV2 and it makes the problem worse (ssl add dates showing up in itunes view), can i switch back?

Yes. Just delete the newly created databaseV2 file and rename the old one back to its original name.
IRONIC 12:24 PM - 27 May, 2009
i got the same problem nuwave!!!

zach it´s not a 1.9 bug
i had this problem already with 1.8 and older
and i also asked for help but didnt get much response

another problem is that i got those new "added date" files twice in my libary now
one with an itunes icon and one without

if i delete the new "added date" file it is also gone from my crate
nuwave_afro 3:43 PM - 27 May, 2009
haha IRONIC - we must join forces, but it cant just be us. :/
interesting its been around since before 1.9... i never used the itunes library feature before.

the doubling issue is a trip. i 'ctrl-r' to locate, they both reference the same file, but i can set different cue points on each. what happens when i turn off 'read itunes' i have no idea - but some songs wont show up, or will become ghosts, so i leave it on to avoid that problem.

along these liness, im pretty sure something has changed in 1.9 because simply analying my new files no longer guarantees them a place in my SSL library. it used to - and i would turn on 'read itunes' for that purpose only - then turn it back off.

this problem is confusing as hell, but im glad to have a discussion going at least..
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:07 PM - 27 May, 2009
You are right Ironic... this bug has been around for a long time.
Very annoying.

Unfortunately we don't have a fix.

This happened to me a while back and I did fix it but it took a lot of trial and error.
I think my issue was I had my music in a "Music" folder and inside that folder I had a "music" folder.
I think what I might have done to fix it was to create a new "Music" folder and move all the files from my original "music" folder into the "Music" folder, relocate my files, and problem was solved.

I'm not exactly sure if that was what I did to fix it but that is what I vaguely remember.

With that said... if you look at the location column for one of the dups what does the tag say exactly?
nuwave_afro 6:09 PM - 28 May, 2009
Quote:
With that said... if you look at the location column for one of the dups what does the tag say exactly?

with MY dupes, the location tags are exactly identical, but you probably can see that from the databaseV2 i already sent to you. i dont have the "music"/"Music" scenario happening, if that helps..
IRONIC 10:23 PM - 28 May, 2009
i feel you nuwave, you are speaking from my mind

but
Quote:
but i can set different cue points on each.

i can`t! i got the same cue´s on the dubs! the only matter is that i got them twice and i also found out that the "new added" file is in the crate although i had that track in that crate like thousends of years!

now check this
i got like ALL of my jay z tracks twice...
regular with i tunes icon (f.e. added from 20o0) ,
and dubs without (never really added but "added" 2009)

each track which is a dub shows up in the crates as a 2009 file without icon
although i had that track in that crate years ago as a 2000 file WITH itunes icon

now if i remove that 2009 file from SL it´s also gone from the crate
OK, so i put that track in that crate again, and everything seems to be fine

no dubs, no "new added" files...

TILL
i close serato and start it again. here we go again with the same jay z dubs and files without icons in the crates

i feel bad sayin this nuwave but i think theres no way out!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:24 AM - 29 May, 2009
Hey nuwave_afro and IRONIC,

Would you guys be able to try something for me? Open Scratch Live and find a group of duplicate files. Make sure the "location" and "filename" columns are displayed. Now could you take a screenshot of your library showing the location and filenames. Could you please upload the files here -> www.serato.com

:)
nik39 11:48 AM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
the doubling issue is a trip. i 'ctrl-r' to locate, they both reference the same file, but i can set different cue points on each.

Actually that is not possible. There must be anotether issue here... these must be differen files.
nuwave_afro 8:31 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
the doubling issue is a trip. i 'ctrl-r' to locate, they both reference the same file, but i can set different cue points on each.

Actually that is not possible. There must be anotether issue here... these must be differen files.

definitely same file - the most recent cue points do eventually overwrite the previous. tested in offline player just now. will try on full setup later to see what happens if both are loaded on decks.
nik39 8:33 PM - 1 June, 2009
Maybe I misunderstood you. Didn't you say that the same files did have different cue points?
nuwave_afro 8:46 PM - 1 June, 2009
@Michael R - screen sent. tell me if u need more.

@everybody - i feel like we are getting off topic. the duplicates are a side effect of my original problem... the 'date added' issue. i still havent tried the databaseV2 rebuild, but i would like for support to take a look at the scratchlive folder i sent to see if there may be other factors contributing.

thanks to all for the valuable input
nuwave_afro 8:55 PM - 1 June, 2009
Quote:
Maybe I misunderstood you. Didn't you say that the same files did have different cue points?

yes - i did say that. further testing showed that the different cue points DO set, but wont save. or, only the most recent ones save.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:10 AM - 2 June, 2009
Hey nuwave_afro,

Thanks for the screen shot. You'll notice that the duplicate files have the same location EXCEPT that some have caps, ie:

NEWFORTKNOX/Slave/Unkown Album
NEWFORTKNOX/slave/Unkown Album

Notice that the second entry has a lower case "s" in "slave". Can you tell me if you look at this folder in Finder is it "slave" or "Slave"?

Also do you have iTunes set to manage your library?
nuwave_afro 3:20 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
Can you tell me if you look at this folder in Finder is it "slave" or "Slave"?

Also do you have iTunes set to manage your library?

its 'slave' in the finder. i thought i had some non-caps instances, but it looks like your right. even the De La Soul songs that display *indentically* in SSL(even location & caps) are De la Soul in finder(lowercase 'L' in 'la').

i do use itunes to manage my library (pretty much the only thing i use it for). i thought i was supposed to do that. is that affecting the 'date added' issue?
IRONIC 6:00 PM - 2 June, 2009
sorry i´m late again

screen sent

i saw that i got the same caps thing with a few tracks
but i also got tracks with exact the same file name and location
look at the "ON THE DOWNLOW" track, everything´s the same, but not the "ADDED DATE"
IRONIC 6:09 PM - 2 June, 2009
i had about 12 tracks in a crate for the screenshot
6 originals and the 6 dubs

after i closed serato and opened serato the originals were gone
only the 6 dubs left in that crate
chims 7:36 PM - 2 June, 2009
same problems here. thanks for linking me IRONIC. my issues were posted here (www.scratchlive.net), but its basically the same prob.

lets get this bug fixed guys!!!! SSL should be reading itunes info first, how hard is that to get right? it used to work, lets go!!!

i also get crates disappearing into the trash bin by it self. good thing i check for it and back up my SSL folder, but that's for another thread!
nuwave_afro 8:55 PM - 2 June, 2009
Quote:
lets get this bug fixed guys!!!! SSL should be reading itunes info first, how hard is that to get right? it used to work, lets go!!!

+1!!!

p.s. - this is the issue i started the thread about. not the duplicates.
chims 9:07 PM - 2 June, 2009
nuwave, i feel you on all these bugs. same here. pink files, duplicates, date added tags wrong, missing crates. i have a love/hate relationship with 1.9. love the new features, hate the bugs that come with it. =/

im really surprised that there aren't hundreds of other users with these same issues chiming in here.
IRONIC 9:05 PM - 3 June, 2009
chims i had to link you man, i was feeling your pain by reading your problem in the other thread...

btw chims
this is not a 1.9 bug
Quote:

zach it´s not a 1.9 bug
i had this problem already with 1.8 and older
and i also asked for help but didnt get much response

yo nuwave i think i started talking about the duplicates, dont be mad at me bro
i dont want to get off topic but i´m sure that the duplicates comes with the same "added" date problem...

however, i just want that to stop!!!

did my screenshot helped you to get some new infos michael?
chims 10:19 PM - 3 June, 2009
hey mods, i found out how to replicate this issue on my end. i cleared all my crates (backed it up elsewhere) and only loaded itunes library—no duplicates and date added tag is correct! there are zero crates at this point.

once i added a selection of songs into a new crate, reloaded SSL, BAM!!!, all those tracks in the crate are now duplicated pink files with the current date/time stamped as well as the wrong location. this is how the pink files location tag shows:

/Users/(username)/Users/(username)/Music/(artistname)/(albumname)

there's your problem right there. it should only read like this:

/Users/(username)/Music/(artistname)/(albumname)

let me know if anyone else can replicate this.

I agree with IRONIC, the duplicate stuff comes hand in hand with pink file duplicates showing up. BUT then again, I can't set different cue points for duplicate files that nuwave is talking about. I have screen shots as well.
chims 10:27 PM - 3 June, 2009
nuwave_afro,

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread. it just all seems related to me. basically, we want SSL to read the itunes database correctly, right?

mods, I uploaded a screen shot as well so you can see the location tag issues. this is a bad thing to let slip by for a new release. lets get it fixed and 1.9.1 out asap pleaseeeeeeeeeee!
nuwave_afro 3:23 AM - 4 June, 2009
re:thread topic - the 2 issues are related in many, but not all, cases. i think i brought it up initially, so i'm not pointing fingers or gettin mad at all. i just dont want to lose track of issues - there's room (and need) for both here. like chims said, its all about SSL reading correctly. exactly.

re:1.9 - random duplicate issues seem to have been around forever. 'date added' issues seem to be new to 1.9

re:cue point on dupes - i was mistaken initially. the cue points overwrite each other as they 'should'... they just need to be re-loaded to show the updated cue data. for a brief period the extra cues ARE available and useable, but they dont save that way.

@chims - great work! i havent tried your experiment, but i currently DONT have the double users/(username) in the filepath. i DO believe the issue has something to do with crates. i save my history from almost all of my gigs to a crate - its right after that when i start seeing the bad dates in my 'itunes library crate' - hmmm...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:33 AM - 4 June, 2009
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

Ok, well I have good and bad news. The bad news first: I don't have a fix for your problem currently :( However, the good news is that we have a fix for this issue which will be in the next public beta of Scratch Live 1.9.1. This is on its way, so if you're able to hold on just a little bit longer the end is in sight!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:32 PM - 4 June, 2009
Quote:
hey mods, i found out how to replicate this issue on my end. i cleared all my crates (backed it up elsewhere) and only loaded itunes library—no duplicates and date added tag is correct! there are zero crates at this point.

once i added a selection of songs into a new crate, reloaded SSL, BAM!!!, all those tracks in the crate are now duplicated pink files with the current date/time stamped as well as the wrong location. this is how the pink files location tag shows:

/Users/(username)/Users/(username)/Music/(artistname)/(albumname)

there's your problem right there. it should only read like this:

/Users/(username)/Music/(artistname)/(albumname)

let me know if anyone else can replicate this.

I agree with IRONIC, the duplicate stuff comes hand in hand with pink file duplicates showing up. BUT then again, I can't set different cue points for duplicate files that nuwave is talking about. I have screen shots as well.

It looks like you're using FileVault on your Mac, correct?
IRONIC 9:17 PM - 4 June, 2009
Quote:
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

Ok, well I have good and bad news. The bad news first: I don't have a fix for your problem currently :( However, the good news is that we have a fix for this issue which will be in the next public beta of Scratch Live 1.9.1. This is on its way, so if you're able to hold on just a little bit longer the end is in sight!

i like the good news :-)
chims 11:05 PM - 4 June, 2009
Quote:
It looks like you're using FileVault on your Mac, correct?

Hi Shaun, that is correct. is that the issue? if so, can it be resolved?
chims 11:07 PM - 4 June, 2009
To clearify, i meant, could SSL be fixed so that it will work with systems using FileVault or will I have to disable it?
chims 11:07 PM - 4 June, 2009
To clarify, i meant, could SSL be fixed so that it will work with systems using FileVault or will I have to disable it?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:39 PM - 5 June, 2009
Quote:
To clarify, i meant, could SSL be fixed so that it will work with systems using FileVault or will I have to disable it?

I'm not sure what can be done between SSL and FileVault, as FileVault encrypts and moves files around.

Disabling FileVault is currently the only solution (see below for details).

Quoted from a different thread:
Quote:
The problem is likely due to the type of file encryption used and how FileVault stores data in a sparse disk image and uses an alias or symbolic link to the encrypted folder (see below).
Quote:
When you turn on FileVault, Mac OS X creates a special type of disk image and stores your entire Home folder inside. The disk image is unusual in two ways: it's encrypted with AES 128-bit encryption and it's a "sparse image," which means that it takes up only as much as space on disk as the data it contains.
Taken from here -->> 209.85.173.132

Quote:
FileVault Problems -- Although FileVault sounds good in theory, it suffers from some serious design flaws. The most serious is that it's an all-or-nothing protection of your Home folder, and only your Home folder.
--->> 209.85.173.132

^^ The above is why everything works properly when using an external HD. The Shared folder is "Vaulted" and probably why the new user account experienced the same problem as the default admin account (both accounts use the same Shared folder) ^^

Here are a few things to try:

1. Turn FileVault off completely. If you turn it off, FileVault must then copy all your data out of the disk image and back to your Home folder, deleting the disk image file when it's done. If your Home folder is too large, you must delete some files to free up enough disk space for both copies.

OR

2. Disable FileVault, create another User Account and then move all the music from the shared folder to the User Music folder on the new "unVaulted" user account.

In a nut shell, This is what I (not a software developer) suspect is going on:

1. I think ScratchLIVE is trying to write tag information to the "Vaulted" files and fails (due to encryption and disk image data storage). FileVault then moves the file or something, resulting in pink doubles.

OR

2. ScratchLIVE is able to write to the audio files and then FileVault re-encrypts the data and moves them to a new "location", resulting in pink doubles.

Here's how the developers may be able to reproduce the problem:

Use Disk Utility to create an encrypted sparse image file, and add the disk image to the Startup Items list so it's mounted automatically at login, after which create an alias or symbolic link to the encrypted version to replace the original folder.

I hope this helps :)
chims 12:19 AM - 6 June, 2009
not sure about everyone else, but for me, I turned off Filevault and it resolved the pink issues with the wrong location paths issue as described above this post. the date added issue is gone with this as well.

was the FileVault the same issue for you guys, nuwave_afro and IRONIC?

this leaves me to a new problem which i'll start in another thread—basically SSL crates lack harmonious sync with itunes database.

thanks for the tip Shaun.
nuwave_afro 1:28 AM - 6 June, 2009
Quote:

this is ALL good news. all i was really asking for really... how about getting us on the short list for early beta testers?
nuwave_afro 1:40 AM - 6 June, 2009
Quote:
not sure about everyone else, but for me, I turned off Filevault and it resolved the pink issues with the wrong location paths issue as described above this post. the date added issue is gone with this as well.

was the FileVault the same issue for you guys, nuwave_afro and IRONIC?

this leaves me to a new problem which i'll start in another thread—basically SSL crates lack harmonious sync with itunes database.

thanks for the tip Shaun.

never messed with filevault at all. but out of curiousity, did this FIX the bad dates?
chims 4:10 AM - 6 June, 2009
Quote:
not sure about everyone else, but for me, I turned off Filevault and it resolved the pink issues with the wrong location paths issue as described above never messed with filevault at all. but out of curiousity, did this FIX the bad dates?

yeah, that the date added issue seems to have vanished. i didn't play with SSL thoroughly yet, but from restarting the program a couple times, it's not showing files with current time stamps anymore, so I presume it solved it so far.
nuwave_afro 8:15 AM - 6 June, 2009
ok, but how about files already affected? (@chims)
chims 9:34 AM - 6 June, 2009
First, make a backup version of your SSL folder.

for me, i turned off FileVault, loaded SSL. selected the entire library list, selected all the songs, deleted everything. This deletes everything that is NOT part of the itunes database (does not have the iTunes icon next to the file name). now SSL should be only reading the songs from iTunes database and nothing more. you might also want to close SSL, back up your database v2 file to something like v2.1, and delete the original database file. reopen SSL and that might solve your problem. if that just messes more things up, revert back to your original database file.

im not a tech, but if i wanted to test it out, this is what i would do in your position, it cant hurt and you can always revert back if it does worst!
IRONIC 10:56 AM - 6 June, 2009
i never used filevault.
failevault can not be the bug for this

i think this is different in your case chims
nuwave_afro 1:40 PM - 6 June, 2009
Quote:
First, make a backup version of your SSL folder.

for me, i turned off FileVault, loaded SSL. selected the entire library list, selected all the songs, deleted everything. This deletes everything that is NOT part of the itunes database (does not have the iTunes icon next to the file name). now SSL should be only reading the songs from iTunes database and nothing more. you might also want to close SSL, back up your database v2 file to something like v2.1, and delete the original database file. reopen SSL and that might solve your problem. if that just messes more things up, revert back to your original database file.

im not a tech, but if i wanted to test it out, this is what i would do in your position, it cant hurt and you can always revert back if it does worst!

ah, this makes sense! forces SSL to re-read the correct dates, flushes the bad ones... but what about crates? does 'select all + delete' affect the contents?
chims 12:59 AM - 7 June, 2009
Quote:

ah, this makes sense! forces SSL to re-read the correct dates, flushes the bad ones... but what about crates? does 'select all + delete' affect the contents?

selecting all will select all the files in your music library, but when you delete, it only deletes files that do not have the itunes icon next to it (which means it is protected by itunes for the lack of a better description). so everything without that icon will get trashed out the database. if your crates have files without the itunes icon, those will get removed from those crates as well.

It is possible that deleting all will mess up your crates, as it did mines, but i look at crates as temporary directories. if it is important, then save your playlists as a text file or document it somewhere else. i know many people organize their music in SSL directly too, so this process might not work well for those that do.
chims 12:59 AM - 7 June, 2009
oops, screwed up the quotes on the last post...hope you get it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:21 AM - 8 June, 2009
Quote:
this is ALL good news. all i was really asking for really... how about getting us on the short list for early beta testers?

Check your private messages ;)
10:31 PM, 4 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.