DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Curious how DJ's handle ethics regarding music content. (Misogyny/sexism, etc.)

WCsk8 11:56 PM - 15 January, 2016
I'm a relatively new DJ who entered the scene on accident. But now that I've started to get a following, I'm being invited to do larger events, for less forgiving crowds.
I love R&B/HipHip music, but as a female I can't help but notice all the rampant Misogyny/sexism in today's lyrics. I can generally keep them out of the set when I'm doing an ol skool set, but newer music is much harder. Even "edited" versions are pretty disgusting in their lyrical content, but I can't play instrumentals all night.

Curious if any of you have any "No play" rules? How do you work those out with your client/crowd?
 6 12:06 AM - 16 January, 2016
You can either make your own edits or just really need to be in control. Get only the gigs you want to do.

There are plenty of songs I won't play. I don't even have them in my library. Just remember, what you don't play, someone else will so be okay with not making that money.

nm
WCsk8 12:17 AM - 16 January, 2016
Appreciate the insight, thank you.
nathans1 1:45 AM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
Appreciate the insight, thank you.

You can always spin a different genre.
DJ Reflex 1:54 AM - 16 January, 2016
I hear ya. Most Hip-Hop music these days has degraded to the lowest common denominator of drugs, women, and getting' money the fastest way possible at any cost. Like 6 said, for every song you won't play, there will be someone else that will. You gotta make your choice on your own ethics. You might loose a gig here and there, but maybe it's your reputation that's more valuable that a few hundred dollars at a party you aren't comfortable at anyway?!?
Kadilac 2:37 AM - 16 January, 2016
This is a subject that almost made me quit djing all together. As a old school hip-hop head I remember the 2 live Crew, Geto Boys, 2Pac and Ice-T debates in the past. Back then I didn't believe that music had the power to influence people negatively. I have sense changed my position and now I firmly believe that today's music is partly responsible for the irrational behavior of the youth and adults alike. I felt like I was contributing to the problem.

It's hard playing to a crowd of all ages when the adults AND kids want to hear Trap music....it sounds so different with young impressionable ears around.
WCsk8 3:19 AM - 16 January, 2016
Thanks everyone, good to know it's something that others have thought about.
Seems like it's a pretty easy decision, either you stick to your convictions or you don't.

I play primarily for adult roller skate parties, I've got the grown folks covered with the r&b/hip hop, but the younger ones want to hear trap, etc. Aside from the lyrics, I think it's horrible and too slow to skate to anyway, but they get twisted when they don't hear "their" music.
Sad that they don't know any better, but I'm finding it hard to find the line of educating them on some better music, and giving the people what they want, even if it's crap. lol
Mr. Goodkat 3:32 AM - 16 January, 2016
just dont do it and be known as the dj that wont spin that stuff. might run some off, might bring some in. for the most part you'll get booked at better clubs with better clientele if you dont.

In my experience(in mixed race, upscale clubs/bars) you might catch a set of classics at a nice place (open format, 70s-80s-90s, hip hop, pop, rock, dance classics) but rarely do they want much new hip hop unless its bringing it big money. and it has to be really big for them to keep doing it.

what most people dont get is rap, like metal or punk or the loud music of the day, is for young people/by young people and young people are generally not all that smart(not in intelligence but in life).
Mr. Goodkat 3:33 AM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
what most people dont get is rap, like metal or punk or the loud music of the day, is for young people/by young people and young people are generally not all that smart(not in intelligence but in life), so its basically gonna be all the worst shit out on the streets

ie they arent going to be listening overly smart or constructive.
dj_soo 3:38 AM - 16 January, 2016
If you're not doing this for a living, then don't play it an be more picky with your gigs.

Nothing wrong with cultivating a following that is there to see you play the music you like.
d:raf 6:53 AM - 16 January, 2016
Every (wo)man has a price!

media.zuza.com

I occasionally wrestle with this too. The system I've settled on is I'll play the stuff that I actually like (which, as it turns out, is a fair bit even though lyrically it makes me cringe) if it feels right/comfortable, but I'm very picky about what I'll play for who.

I try to get clean versions of most of it if there's enough of the song left over to make sense after the edits.

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Matty Stiles 9:14 AM - 16 January, 2016
In Australia no one can understand US ghetto rapper lingo. It just goes over our heads lol. Plus we awear a lot on TV and Radio anyway. Never needed a clean version in my life!
DJ Matty Stiles 9:15 AM - 16 January, 2016
Swear*
Davideon 10:50 AM - 16 January, 2016
Quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn about ethics
Mr. Goodkat 7:16 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
In Australia no one can understand US ghetto rapper lingo.

isnt austraila mad racist? or is it more against asians since there arent that many black folks?
Davideon 7:32 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

isnt austraila mad racist? or is it more against asians since there arent that many black folks?

Its full of crims
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:51 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
I'm a relatively new DJ who entered the scene on accident. But now that I've started to get a following, I'm being invited to do larger events, for less forgiving crowds.
I love R&B/HipHip music, but as a female I can't help but notice all the rampant Misogyny/sexism in today's lyrics. I can generally keep them out of the set when I'm doing an ol skool set, but newer music is much harder. Even "edited" versions are pretty disgusting in their lyrical content, but I can't play instrumentals all night.

Curious if any of you have any "No play" rules? How do you work those out with your client/crowd?

my advice would be to get over yourself and play what people wanna hear
Mr. Goodkat 8:02 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:

if you don't have to why do it? i dug myself a hole, sounds like you have too, but we know its prob better for you heart and spirit not to do it. especially if you are starting out.
deezlee 8:07 PM - 16 January, 2016
Yeah just take gigs where you can play what you want.
As far as lyrics, I thought people acting hard when 90s hip hop was done but we do a few monthlies at a local bar (a funk night, a reggae night, and a 90s hip hop house party vibe) and by the end of the hip hop night the crowd is more serious looking dudes (and more empty) then usual.
I can't believe that the regular good vibe crowd would actually thin out because of 2-pac but it seems to. I thought we got past that 15-20 years ago.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:22 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

if you don't have to why do it? .

Because thats literally the job description
Chrisjin 10:34 PM - 16 January, 2016
Nikki Minaj and all those other trash fake ass instagram females help perpetuate the misogyny
Mr. Goodkat 10:50 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if you don't have to why do it? .

Because thats literally the job description

im saying if you start from the beginning, as she is stating, you can always just take gigs where the ownership/mgmt is behind you. you just have to find those places that want that style.

obviously you're right if this person does take clubs and gigs that require or have audiences that are going to ask for that type of music ie18-25. Most 30-50 crowds i see dont really care or want newer rap. although that will prob change in 5 yrs.
Mr. Goodkat 10:51 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
im saying if you start from the beginning, as she is stating,

i dont know why i thought this was a she, might not be. 'he' if so.
deezlee 11:30 PM - 16 January, 2016
if yer job is to play music for people who only like current radio music or whatever and nothing else no matter what then yer gonna be playing that I agree.

But the job description of DJ isn't limited to that scenario for everyone.
WCsk8 11:48 PM - 16 January, 2016
Yep, I'm a "she" lol
Thanks again to the new commenters, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
I'm extremely grateful that I've been invited and encouraged to play music for people - never in a million years did I think I'd find myself in a DJ booth. But music is my passion, not my income source so I guess I'll stick with my gut. ;-)
Thundercat 12:54 AM - 17 January, 2016
Maybe it's because I am old, but I do consciously censor my playlist. Or maybe it's because I am a parent. I know my kids hear it all, but they won't hear it out of me. Most of my sets are played in mixed company so I typically adhere to that standard.

As for how I feel about it ethically, well that's more of a gray area for me. That whole "what is art vs what is obscene" debate is a long and never ending discussion which ultimately boils down to subjective points of view. While I may have a particular standard I adhere to in my own home, it would be presumptuous and rude (Willy Wonka FTW) to try to tell the next man how to raise his family. I won't play what is obscene to me but that might not line up with what's obscene to someone else. And where that obscene/art divider is may fluctuate any given day or time.

Full disclosure: given the appropriate setting, I will play all the dirty nasty freaky raunchy stuff too. Music can run the full range of emotion and that release can be exhilarating. Jumping up and down shouting (insert lyrics here), or holding your girl/guy close and whispering (insert lyrics here).
DJ Reflex 1:36 AM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
Maybe it's because I am old, but I do consciously censor my playlist. Or maybe it's because I am a parent.

Good call. We all see (or hear) our world through a different lens.
 6 2:00 AM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
Yep, I'm a "she" lol
I'm extremely grateful that I've been invited and encouraged to play music for people - never in a million years did I think I'd find myself in a DJ booth. But music is my passion, not my income source so I guess I'll stick with my gut. ;-)

And here it is.... You HAVE a choice. The fact that you don't depend on this for your sole source of income means you can definitely be choosy.

DJing has always been my passion as well so I know how you feel. Spin what makes you feel good to the crowd that is going to follow you as it should be.

The DJ should always be driving the bus. Not letting the passengers touch your radio. lol

nm
AKIEM 4:13 PM - 17 January, 2016
Good to see ladies bonding.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:16 PM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its full of crims

I don't think a couple of ships a few centuries ago fits very well with your assumption, nor does it account for one of the most advanced economies in the world, among the world's highest GDP per capita ratios with generous social security, universal healthcare, zero gun violence and standards of living and life expectancy higher than the U.S. But hey we can all be a little ignorant sometimes can't we?

As it relates to racism, like the U.S. We have all types. As is always the case with western democracies we have the freedom to express ourselves as we like there's a few loonies here and there. By and large we are a very educated people :)
Mr. Goodkat 9:29 PM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
As it relates to racism, like the U.S. We have all types. As is always the case with western democracies we have the freedom to express ourselves as we like there's a few loonies here and there. By and large we are a very educated people :)

im not saying that you aren't educated, its just kind of a u.s. stereotype that aussies are mad racist against asian immigrants and aborigines people. kinda like the u.s. but worse i guess.

i guess its media driven more than anything.
577er 10:37 PM - 17 January, 2016
I'm in the don't play it camp. There is too much good music and too many crowds that want to hear better music out there to take your love for music and djing down a path that offends you. I play plenty of music I don't "like" but I draw the line at music that is offensive and I consider part of the problem.

For those in the "dis a bidness" play what the people want camp, re-read above. It's all about what "you" like and what "your" position on X is.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:24 AM - 18 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

im not saying that you aren't educated, its just kind of a u.s. stereotype that aussies are mad racist against asian immigrants and aborigines people. kinda like the u.s. but worse i guess.

i guess its media driven more than anything.

Although we have a constitution, a separation of powers and a legislature which allows for free speech we do have laws for hate crimes which make racism illegal. Yeah man I guess like your NRA and other special interest lobby groups, the vocal minority will always get the medias attention over the silent majority. As for Aborigines, the English were brutal to them when they settled kinda like your native Americans but worse. It's different now though after a landmark case in our high court they have special recognition and the most generous welfare privileges. Still doesn't excuse historical atrocities.

As for immigration we are way down in the South Pacific with a very Anglo / European core demographic and I guess historically there has been some resistance against mass Asian immigration. Asian tourism is among our strongest economic performers along with agricultural exports and natural resources. Nowadays we are actually one of the worlds most culturally diverse countries. No need to build a huge wall though as we're a big bloody island (apologies to my republican friends).

The media doesn't do us any favours. If you were to come here you'd never find anyone like Steve Irwin, like ever. Maybe like in the outback 100 years ago but realistically it's a very laid back lifestyle a lot like Southern California but also with huge cities like sydney and Melbourne. Very outdoorsy. Beautiful weather all year, famous for our beer, sport and beaches and cool animals. There are way more similarities than differences with our U.S. allies and if anyone has the time or money I'd encourage you to visit.

And the freedom to play dirty edits as well lol :)
 6 5:18 AM - 18 January, 2016
Three words: Safe harbor hours. :)

nm
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:36 PM - 18 January, 2016
Quote:
Yep, I'm a "she" lol
I'm extremely grateful that I've been invited and encouraged to play music for people - never in a million years did I think I'd find myself in a DJ booth.

Ya, you dont find to many dj booths in kitchens
Mr. Goodkat 7:09 PM - 18 January, 2016
a low moment even for bezzle.
spike12 9:20 PM - 18 January, 2016
Quote:

I'm hoping it was extreme sarcasm given the title of this thread..
nathans1 11:03 PM - 18 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Some not very well!!!
Taipanic 4:12 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
Thanks everyone, good to know it's something that others have thought about.
Seems like it's a pretty easy decision, either you stick to your convictions or you don't.

I play primarily for adult roller skate parties, I've got the grown folks covered with the r&b/hip hop, but the younger ones want to hear trap, etc. Aside from the lyrics, I think it's horrible and too slow to skate to anyway, but they get twisted when they don't hear "their" music.
Sad that they don't know any better, but I'm finding it hard to find the line of educating them on some better music, and giving the people what they want, even if it's crap. lol

There are a lot of Trap & Twerk remixes of older songs that have decent lyrics but still have the bass drops and staccato edits. Both age groups will be OK with songs like this - C & C Music Factory - Make You Sweat (Team Bayside High Trap Mix)
Gio Alex 4:58 PM - 19 January, 2016
Quote:
I'm being invited to do larger events, for less forgiving crowds.
I love R&B/HipHip music, but as a female I can't help but notice all the rampant Misogyny/sexism in today's lyrics.

This right here is one of the reasons why I only play for certain crowds or venues. First off, love hip hop/rap and always will, but I grew up listening to Classical, Jazz, Rock, Salsa, and all sorts of Caribbean music due to my parents. With that out the way, I only feel comfortable doing hip hop/Rap at spots/crowds that don't expect me to only do that. For instance, I can't play at a ratchet spot (for lack of a better term) or some after hours that only wants to hear trap all night with 21-25 year old demographic. Doesn't matter the race/ethnicity because most young adults wanna hear the same thing. Most of it is ignorant as hell.

I try to spin at spots that have an eclectic crowd or at the very least a mixture of people ranging in different ages and so on. It's not THE solution, but when you play big name spots you're almost setting yourself up to play current hits only. I'm not saying it's all like that. I play some pretty swanky spots that love old school stuff like Funk, Soul, and Hip Hop. With mixture of current stuff but not trying to make it an overwhelmingly top 40 kinda night. This is also the beauty of not djing full time and having a steady job; you can pick and chose the gigs you wanna do.

Also, it's fun to introduce people to good music that's not necessarily something they heard already. May be going off topic, but djing needs to get back to that.

In any case, like someone mentioned above... there's always edits.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:27 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Im just sayin, i think its adorable they humor her with these gigs. Im a modern kinda guy so i dont have any problem with what she does with her time once the laundrys done and the sandwiches are made.
Gio Alex 5:43 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:
Im just sayin, i think its adorable they humor her with these gigs. Im a modern kinda guy so i dont have any problem with what she does with her time once the laundrys done and the sandwiches are made.

LMAO

I see what you did there
Papa Midnight 10:59 PM - 20 January, 2016
Quote:

I've seen much-much worse from bezzle, unfortunately.

Quote:
Nikki Minaj and all those other trash fake ass instagram females help perpetuate the misogyny

Anyone remember the "No-Nikki" rule from a few years back?
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:30 AM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

True story!
Gio Alex 2:19 AM - 21 January, 2016
Quote:

Lmao FACTS
RonDu 4:19 PM - 21 January, 2016
There's a time and place for everything. Just use discretion