Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

DJ Muzzell: Bee Gees Routine + More

9:02 PM, 14 Jan 2016
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
lindsaymar 10:54 PM - 14 January, 2016
Well done. Love the vibe... especially the cut up of that Beegees jawn!
lindsaymar 10:59 PM - 14 January, 2016
... and the S9 looks really impressive.
It's a shame it's serato fx *or* onboard fx. It would have been awesome to have both available simultaneously.
nik39 11:10 PM - 14 January, 2016
Dope.
MASTER BLENDER 7:06 PM - 21 January, 2016
DOPE !!
DjFURBALL 10:17 PM - 31 January, 2016
is the pioneer worth buying or does it have to many issues with it i am die'ing to know if there are issues with it what are they beside the face plate white line fader paint and knobs fading paint too. is there any software issues such as software crashing or freezing up during gig's or any other issues thanks
lindsaymar 4:53 PM - 6 February, 2016
Quote:
is the pioneer worth buying or does it have to many issues with it i am die'ing to know if there are issues with it what are they beside the face plate white line fader paint and knobs fading paint too. is there any software issues such as software crashing or freezing up during gig's or any other issues thanks

I was so excited about the S9 I couldn't sleep and gave in and bought it. I returned it a week later :(

BUGS: Some of the bugs I found were certain buttons would cause the pads to change to user modes (problem cleared up by itself after a few uses).
One time Serato was unhappy with both of my vinyl tracking. After cleaning needles/records and going through my usual fixes it didn't fix the problem. Unplugging the S9 and plugging it back in fixed it?!!!?
Echo hardware effect was inconsistent whether it would change the beat parameter. Sometimes it would effect the tail other times it wouldn't after disengaging the echo.

MINOR ISSUES: If you engaged a [4 Beat Loop] then changed it's size using the [1/2x] or [2x] buttons, hitting the engaged/lighted [4 beat loop] button would *not* disengage the loop. It would change the loop to 4 beats (and jump the loop head with it) before allowing it to be disengaged by hitting the [4 beat loop] button a second time. (You'd have to [shift] + [4 beat loop] to disengage if you changed the loop size.)

Also using the [4 Beat Loop] button would shift your "loop bracket" over to 1/2,1,2,4 so when you went to roll mode the 4 buttons available for rolling on each deck would be 1/2,1,2, and 4. You'd have to parameter shift the roll function to be playing in a useful "loop bracket."
--------------
All these issues could be fixed with firmware upgrades I'm sure but I didn't feel comfortable waiting to see if the issues would be fixed. It's too much money to have to cross my fingers.

That being said, The crossfader is dope! (User replaceability I've read may be an issue)
I both liked and disliked the echo and reverb on this mixer. Turning the dry/wet knob to full would created an endless tail on the echo and a long tail on the reverb. That's fun to play with but... being used to my djm 800 it was hard to use those effects in a subtle manner for mixing.
Coming from the DJM 800 I was looking forward to having DUB Echo on the filter knobs but having to have a 3rd party Pioneer app open to switch from Filter to Dub Echo made it too "far away" to make it easily useful.
I also missed the VU meters being located up by your EQ section - that's totally just a personal preference thing :)

Some people will love this mixer. I thought that I would.
I think if you're a straight scratch dj you may not be as fussed by some of my gripes about this mixer but some of the issues/bugs shouldn't be in a unit of this price.

Just my 2 cents. It's a good mixer but I feel, I personally, get more from my djm 800 and some Dicers.
lindsaymar 5:10 PM - 6 February, 2016
... I justs read the [4 Beat Loop] button not disengaging loops can be "fixed" in the settings by changing it so the [1/2x] & [2x] buttons choose the loop length before engaging the loop. But then you need to look at your laptop to see what loop length you're on before hitting [4 beat loop]