Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

m4a to mp3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djrichardexstacy 5:19 AM - 26 May, 2006
i purchased a couple of songs for the 1st time from itunes, i tried to rename the file and noticed it is labeled as m4a, i tried to burn these two songs to a cd and then rip them in mp3 format, my burning software does not recognize m4a files, i went to itunes, went to advanced, the option to convert id3 tags is not available, can someone help me, i searched the forum for about 20 mins, could not find anything that would help, all help would be greatly apreciated

dj xvr
nobspangle 7:49 AM - 26 May, 2006
Songs that you buy from iTunes are protected, you can only burn them to CD in iTunes.
You used to be able to then rip this CD to mp3 format, not sure if this is still possible.
joerockets 4:47 PM - 26 May, 2006
stil works
djrichardexstacy 6:33 PM - 26 May, 2006
thank you i'll give a shot this evening. have a great weekend.
djrichardexstacy 12:57 AM - 27 May, 2006
how do i burn protected m4a to a cd in itunes, i cannot seem to figure it out.
Serato, Support
Matt G 3:12 AM - 27 May, 2006
1. Make a new playlist
2. Put the protected files in the new playlist
3. Press the burn button found at the top right twice

That should do it.

From there, you're going to have to rip them from the CD as mp3s and end up with lower quality audio. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is with copy protected audio files.
eder 3:18 AM - 27 May, 2006
there's a program somewhere called Jharmony or harmony or something like that...i used it to take off the drm tags. not sure if it still works.
Serato, Support
Matt G 3:28 AM - 27 May, 2006
Quote:
there's a program somewhere called Jharmony or harmony or something like that...i used it to take off the drm tags. not sure if it still works.

That would be JHymn, which may or may not be legal to use in your country. After using that to remove the DRM, you would still need to convert the files to either MP3, WAV, or AIFF.
arjun 6:53 AM - 27 May, 2006