DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need help on some speakers, should I buy Yamaha DBR15 or EV ZLX15P or EV ELX 115

DJ AK47 10:20 AM - 14 December, 2015
Hey all,

My first post on this forum and thank you to anyone who helps with this small dilemna I am facing. I have read through this forum with great interest as I have been looking to change from Passive speakers with amps to Active speakers.

I originally was going to go for Behringer B115D, Behringer B215D, Mackie Thump 15 and even considered the Alto TS115A. As you can guess I am after two pairs of 15" active speakers for now (so that they can provide the bass adequately) and then much later I will add a subwoofer. I typically do house parties with 70-100 ppl which most speakers will be fine for however I am now moving up and have my first official gig for a birthday party in March for approx 150 ppl. It's indoor in a hall that's not that big (about the size of a small gymnasium).

Anyway after reading through the forum I have come to understand that buying any of the above speakers will be pointless as they will probably blow at some point since they are cheaply made in China. My budget is approx no more than £450 per speaker.

I have therefore narrowed my choices down to the DBR15 ( I cannot afford the DXR15) and the EV ZLX15P or EV ELX 115P. I originally was going to go for the ZLX15P but I read somewhere that someone opened them up and found cheap components and voice coil that was rated at 100W rather than the 500W they state. So I shifted to the Yamaha's. However before I take the plunge I wanted to get some feedback on whether the choice is the right one.
Scully DJ Services 12:46 PM - 14 December, 2015
Grab the DBR15s. They have a good amount of bass for standalone use, sound great, get loud, and have a 7 year warranty to back it up. Also, you said that you want to buy 2 pairs of speakers.. Are you meaning 4 speakers or 2 speakers? Do not try and buy 4 speakers as using more than 2 tops will generally lead to reduced sound quality and other issues if the operator is inexperienced.
Scully DJ Services 12:49 PM - 14 December, 2015
Another option is to get this:
www.proaudiostar.com
You can haggle and get it for about $1600. Maybe less.
DJ AK47 2:30 PM - 14 December, 2015
Hey Scully,

Thanks for your tips. It was definitely 2 speakers I was going to get and then add a sub later. That package looks good but is a bit out of my budget for now. I will go ahead with the DBR15's but would love to hear anyone else who has them and how their experience has been.

Thanks!
Scully DJ Services 3:27 PM - 14 December, 2015
No problem. And also, if it helps, I do own the DBR15s and love them. They have served me very well for about 8 months now and they are for sure my best purchase.
Al Poulin 8:24 PM - 14 December, 2015
DBR15s absolutely. Out of the box, they just need a little boost in the mids/upper mids and they sound great, get surprisingly loud and of course - have an excellent warranty. I own DXR15s, DXR8s and a DBR12 and they are all fantastic IMO. Great hi-fi sound with PA speaker output - not to mention superb mixer section built-in.

Al
DJ AK47 10:32 AM - 15 December, 2015
Thanks all for your help.

I checked with Yamaha on the warranty on the DBR15's to ensure it was 7 years but they said it was 4 years on the DBR and 7 years on the DXR & DXS.

Still it's better than a year!

Thanks all,
Scully DJ Services 12:40 PM - 15 December, 2015
That isn't correct. It should be 7. Also, depending on the retailer that you buy them through, they might include an additional year of their own warranty.
DJ AK47 2:39 PM - 15 December, 2015
Thanks Scully. I will double check this from the retailer I buy them from.
DJ. L.A. Styles 7:45 PM - 17 December, 2015
Hey AL Poulin I believe you are from Canada? I read some of you input on the DXR, I currently have 1 DXR12 I got as a deal but the person only had one, i'm looking for another one is there any where you would recommend buying for a better price than $799

Thank just thought I'll ask here if anyone else in Canada know of somewhere with a better price than $799 for the DXR12 please let me know
Joee 12:29 AM - 18 December, 2015
another vote for the dbr here…….but if you can afford the dxr go with it by all means

fyi…..every speaker can be had for a better than list price, i paid $550 for dxr12
JDforKing 6:19 AM - 18 December, 2015
Quote:
another vote for the dbr here…….but if you can afford the dxr go with it by all means

fyi…..every speaker can be had for a better than list price, i paid $550 for dxr12

Do you still have your dxr12s joee?
Joee 2:07 PM - 19 December, 2015
strictly evox 12 is all i'm using these days
DJ. L.A. Styles 2:33 PM - 24 December, 2015
Joee $550 is that U.S. Currency If Canadian do mind telling where?
Joee 4:02 PM - 24 December, 2015
^ US
DJ. L.A. Styles 4:23 PM - 24 December, 2015
Ok thank!
BIGG BEAR 6:07 AM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:
strictly evox 12 is all i'm using these days

How many people could you cover in theory with 1 evox 12?
Do you ever use just the one?
Joee 6:07 PM - 27 December, 2015
Quote:

yes

Quote:

75 to 150 IMO, depending the type of gigs you do
BIGG BEAR 4:27 AM - 28 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

yes

Quote:

75 to 150 IMO, depending the type of gigs you do

Thanks on the evox 12 does the top end unit still clip into the bass cab for transportation like the evox 8?
How many people do you estimate 1 evox 8 to cover?
Joe Fresh 5:06 AM - 28 December, 2015
I just picked up a pair of EV ZLX15P's this weekend for mobile gigs.
Only had time for a quick test run, but they sound amazing for their size and price point.
My research on the ZLX15P's didn't uncover any credible info about cheap components, but there were 1 or 2 reviews saying they weren't as loud as the reviewers expected. They sounded pretty loud to me, and the vast majority of reviews are excellent.
DJ AK47 8:54 PM - 5 January, 2016
Hey all,

I picked up the Yamaha DBR15's the day before NYE and once you tune the EQ a little, they are absolutely amazing! The bass was awesome (albeit it was a house party).

Joe - would love to hear how the ZLX15P's are after a few months of use (they were my previous choice!).

Thanks all for the great advice!
Scully DJ Services 12:20 AM - 6 January, 2016
Welcome to the dark side!
dj_soo 10:59 AM - 6 January, 2016
Dbrs will outperform the zlxs
DJ AK47 2:54 PM - 6 January, 2016
Great to know! Thanks. I'm happy. :)
DJMCM 6:14 PM - 22 January, 2017
How do you adjust EQ on dbr's? When I looked at the pictures of the back of the speaker there did not look to be any adjustments that could be made, no low, mid, high knobs.
GNB 6:06 PM - 27 February, 2017
Hello there, this is my 1st post. I have ordered 2 x DBR-12 Yamahas and 1 DXS 15 Yamaha sub from the local dealer. I have been very impressed with reviews of these speakers and from reading very positive comments. I have a home studio but do some gigging with a local cover band for benefits and dances. Lots of fun. Anyway, these speakers will be in for the end of March 2017. Can someone on the forum provide me with a wiring configuration from a 12 channel stereo mixer to the sub and connecting to the L/R inputs on the speakers with XLR cables. I will be bypassing at 100hz between sub and speakers and using a FOH setting on the DBR's. I am not sure if I use Channel 1 or 2 on the DBR speakers from the sub. Huge music fan but not a technical guy. I really enjoy the video's from Al, he's another Northern Ontario fella like me. Cheers ! GNB
Al Poulin 12:30 AM - 28 February, 2017
Let me know when you get your speakers and I'll be more than happy to help you out my friend. Here is my email :

alpoulin@hotmail.com

Al
GNB 12:46 AM - 28 February, 2017
Perfect ! thanks so much for that. I am really looking forward to having this set up in my studio at my home and for use with gigs. I have always been a Yamaha fan, more particularly with keyboards as I am an ex-professional musician who has owned many Yamaha keyboards for years, none of which ever let me down. I am looking for nothing more than really clear sound mainly through the listening spectrum low to high range and I think that the combination of DBR 12 x 2 and a DXS-15 sub will be great. Always enjoy your perspective and video's, Al, and knowing that you actually own and use these speakers is a plus. Kind regards.
GNB 9:26 PM - 28 February, 2017
I will be getting the DBR-12's and DXS-15 sub in a month and have ordered them without hearing them unfortunately. There is little to be found on Youtube about DXS-15 subs other than specs or them at a Trade Show. A candid opinion on their quality of sound would be really appreciated. I considered a DXS-18 too but thought it would be over-kill for my studio and weighs in at 110 lbs, the 15 made more sense to me. I also considered Yorkville subs but wanted to stay with the same manufacturer. Owners of DXS-12s seem to be satisfied with their performance. I am not interested in Hip Hop, Dub Step etc. just a great sounding full, clear and crisp sound from this combination. Cheers !
dj_soo 9:20 AM - 1 March, 2017
I've only heard the DXS15 in the shop and I wasn't that impressed. I would think spec-wise, an EKX15SP or the Yorkville LS720P might be a better option for an affordable 15" sub.

Even then, I generally find that 15" subs work better in pairs.
Al Poulin 1:34 PM - 1 March, 2017
The DXS subs sound best in the X-TENDED LF mode. In the Normal and Boost modes, they sound more like a typical bandpass sub. I did compare my LS720P directly to the DXS12 before trading it in and buying a pair of the DXS12s and while the Yorkville did extend a little more down low (it is a 15" after all) and was more musical, the DXS12 actually matched it output Wise. While I do prefer the sound of the LS720P, I opted for the pair of DXS12s for the extra output a pair qould provide and because they look really good Under my little DXR8s and make a terrific sounding compact system. The DXS18 looks mighty interesting and I've read many great reviews about it, so that's another option. If you're not moving it too much, it would certainly extend much deeper and rattle the house more than a DXS15.

Al
JDforKing 1:49 PM - 1 March, 2017
I had 2 Yamaha dxs12s and sold them and went with a single ev ekx15sp. I like the sound of the ev ekx15sp better than the pair of Yamaha dxs12 (and I used them in x-tended lf mode). The Yamaha dxs subs are also heavy.
Al Poulin 1:56 PM - 1 March, 2017
Agreed they are a little big and heavy, but the price and warranty are right. I prefer having a pair for my weddings as the pole mounts for the DXR8s remove the tripping hazard of stands and make for a nice and matched look. For the typical weddings I do - 150-250 people, this sytem is just right and sounds great. A pair of EKX15s would certainly sound better, but not convinced most people would notice or care unfortunately...

Al
JDforKing 2:10 PM - 1 March, 2017
Quote:
Agreed they are a little big and heavy, but the price and warranty are right. I prefer having a pair for my weddings as the pole mounts for the DXR8s remove the tripping hazard of stands and make for a nice and matched look. For the typical weddings I do - 150-250 people, this sytem is just right and sounds great. A pair of EKX15s would certainly sound better, but not convinced most people would notice or care unfortunately...

Al

I can agree
GNB 2:55 PM - 1 March, 2017
great comments. I am thinking that the DXS-15 would do the trick for me at the X-TENDED range setting. You are articulate, professional DJ"s conscious of sound and performance and I do understand that the Yorkville LS720Ps do go lower, this has been indicated in many video's and Yorkville have always been known for great bottom end and boom.

My set up however will be used 99% of the time in my own music studio at home listening to my Sirius channels. Yamaha has indicated that the lower setting will go to 42hz and that's pretty good as far as I am concerned. Gigging with the sub will be only occasional. I think that each forum member will have their own preference in terms of pa speakers and subs based on past use. Obviously members own the brands that do the best job for them after trying out or listening to many. I also read the "gear ranks" site with recommendations for a best sub selection, the DXS-15 was on the list as was the DXS-12 based on their collection of reviews. Further, the 7 year warranty was part of the choice. Gear Ranks also included the DBR-10 giving it top marks, I went with the 12's for more power and a larger speakers for gigging (only a few times a year for me). Obviously, I am a Yamaha fan due to the fact that the speakers they make are given top marks from owners. Yes, there are better speakers and subs out there to buy. In terms of EV, I have read some great reviews and some only warm and this goes with other manufacturers too. QSC are top rated but expensive too, the JBLs, EV, Yorkvilles etc. are all good contenders in the marketplace. From the very positive ratings from owners, warranty, many reviews I have read, I do think that the DBR-12's with DXS-15 will suit me fine to listen to during the day. I have no interest in DJing, Thunder Bay already has many with far more investment than me (lighting, pro equipment, projection screens, lasers etc.) . I am an old fart over 60 and semi-retired, now looking only for clean, quality music reproduction from a music system at a reasonable price. This new system will replace an old pair of Behringer 2031 Truth monitors and a 10" Rokit sub. I do think that the new Yamaha set up should deliver the goods in terms of quality sound for me and for listening purposes mainly during the day.

This is a terrific forum, great comments, thanks very much ! GNB
GNB 9:10 PM - 1 March, 2017
I have wondered why Yamaha decided on band pass subs vs a standard bass reflex. I have read that the band pass is loud but somewhat limited in it's bass spectrum. I really don't understand the difference in the 2 designs. Yamaha had a nice 18 inch bass reflex sub (DSR-118W) but went to a band pass design on 3 new DXS models. Must have been for a reason.
dj_soo 10:10 AM - 2 March, 2017
Quote:
I had 2 Yamaha dxs12s and sold them and went with a single ev ekx15sp. I like the sound of the ev ekx15sp better than the pair of Yamaha dxs12 (and I used them in x-tended lf mode). The Yamaha dxs subs are also heavy.

How do you find the output and low frequency extension of the single EKX compared to the pair of DXS12s?

I'm looking for an upgrade to my NX720Ss and while I like the sound of them, the throw leaves a lot to be desired. Was considering the EKX18SP although what I really want is a pair of ETX15SPs...

I've also been considering a pair of Yorkville PS15Ss which blow away the NX720Ss in terms of output and throw, but lack in musicality and customization of the older NX720Ss. I run a Yorkville PS12S with my DXR8s and I actually think it's the most impressive from the newer Parasource sub series in terms of output and depth for the size and weight, but I'd rather go with larger subs for bigger gigs.
dj_soo 10:12 AM - 2 March, 2017
Quote:
I have wondered why Yamaha decided on band pass subs vs a standard bass reflex. I have read that the band pass is loud but somewhat limited in it's bass spectrum. I really don't understand the difference in the 2 designs. Yamaha had a nice 18 inch bass reflex sub (DSR-118W) but went to a band pass design on 3 new DXS models. Must have been for a reason.

My guess is to save on cost for added output. While bandpass subs tend to have a bit of a one-note-wonder aspect to them, you can get more SPL out of a cheaper amp since you get some volume boost out of cabinet resonance rather than straight wattage.
GNB 5:54 PM - 2 March, 2017
Has anyone ever tried out or heard the DSR-118W ? I would be curious but I don't want a "beast" to lug around.
dj_soo 7:10 PM - 2 March, 2017
I've never heard them, but I've heard people say it's a little disappointing and that the DXS18 is the better sub
rayjthedj 7:15 PM - 2 March, 2017
Been using the ETX line for a couple years now and love them. I had 500 in a middle school gym this past weekend and a stacked pair of ETX15SP was more than enough bass. I had four but unhooked two because the bass was to much.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:23 PM - 3 March, 2017
Quote:
Been using the ETX line for a couple years now and love them. I had 500 in a middle school gym this past weekend and a stacked pair of ETX15SP was more than enough bass. I had four but unhooked two because the bass was to much.

Too much bass? How dare you utter those words.