Serato DJ Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Intro software and controllers.

Sound Quality of Flac vs Wav Shocked!!

Johnny H 1:58 AM - 11 December, 2015
Hi guys

after purchasing a very high end studio RME sound Card I have been doing some A/B tests of Flacs Vs Wavs.

My DJ collection is all stored in Flac lossless format with Tags and Cover Art 500x500 Pixels.

I have never been over happy with the sound quality at times of my collection, I always felt it sounded a little dull and not great stereo reproduction.

So this lead me to do the following A/B tests on my PC with my high end studio quality sound card. I converted several of my FLAC files to WAV and compared the sound quality of the Wavs against the Flacs.

To my amazement the WAVs sounded noticeably better! the stereo separation was better, the dynamics was better and the music just sounded better all round and not so dull sounding.

I understand the bit for bit data of a flac file is identical to the original Wav audio file when it has been decompressed and is being playing. But for some very strange reason when playing FLAC files they just don't sound as Crisp and Clean as the Wav version

Now I'm not wishing to get in to an argument with any one who is going to state Wavs sound exactly the same and Flacs, because they don't sound the same there is a noticeable difference.

This could be due to several reasons,

1) The tagging info added to the flac file
2) The cover art added to the flac file
3) The fact the flac file has to be decoded before it can be played

The end result for me is.... I really think to achieve the best sound quality, I need my DJ collection in WAV format. The only reason I chose Flac over Wav is the ability of tagging and cover art for each file when moving my DJ music files between different DJ software packages.

So here lies a major problem when using Wavs,

1) No Cover Art
2) No Meta Tag Info

Is there no standard whereby for each Wav file, I could have a separate Tag file storing all the tag info and a separate image file associated with each wav file for the cover art. Thus the audio is in a pure native wav format and the different DJ programs can still read the Tag and cover art for each wav file.

I don't use Itunes and I don't plan to start now either, so i'm looking for some solution for tagging wavs, almost some central database for DJ collections that all DJ software can read the associated TAG and COVER ART

any help as always very much appreciated.
Johnny H 3:06 AM - 11 December, 2015
After further investigation I can confirm you can now tag WAVs and add cover art too !

Problem solved... for the highest sound quality don't use FLACS

WAV files definitely have the edge, period.....
Even Mode 2:59 PM - 2 April, 2017
*facepalm*
JamesBassdrop 5:54 PM - 11 June, 2017
Quote:
Now I'm not wishing to get in to an argument with any one who is going to state Wavs sound exactly the same and Flacs, because they don't sound the same there is a noticeable difference.

Quote:
So this lead me to do the following A/B tests on my PC with my high end studio quality sound card. I converted several of my FLAC files to WAV and compared the sound quality of the Wavs against the Flacs.

Just want to point out that you should've done double-blind ABX tests instead of just comparing A/B, to eliminate the possibility of unconscious (unintentional) bias.

Try Foobar2000 (foobar2000.org) w/ the 'ABX Comparator' add-on component (foobar2000.org) and see if you're still able to tell the difference... it's freeware.

Oh, and check if your FLAC files have any ReplayGain values set... you can use Foobar2000 to check for (and remove) ReplayGain metadata in your files too. (For more info about ReplayGain: wiki.hydrogenaud.io)

Cheers,
James
Peterpics 2:26 PM - 20 September, 2017
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of Digitalizing some of my vinyls and did a few experiments as I was recommended FLAC by a friend and as far as storing I think MP3 at 192 kbps is the best and if one plans to write on compact discs wave is better mainly as far as sound quality is concerned.
I use AIMP as my default Audio player and without any equalizing just flat. TO test the sound quality, 1. I used my Dell 2.1. system first and 2. I took a line out from the PC which I connected to Yamaha transistor analog amplifier connected to a 3 way Aiwa pair of speakers and next to set of 2 way Advent pair of speakers. plus next to a Pioneer transistor analog amplifier connected to a pair of Diatone 3 way spaekers and next to the 2 way Advent pair.

There was a slight notable difference in the wave file (Lows + Highs) compared to the FLAC.