Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Any DJM S9 with Macbook users having THIS problem.......

gray-V 8:42 PM - 5 December, 2015
So, I got the S9 about a month ago, love the unit....but its not playing well with my 2015 Macbook pro. Everything is kosher when I'm playing standalone (strictly vinyl or cd) but when I go to use it with Serato...problems arise. It's all good just playing normal, but when I get down to any serious scratching (fast flares, or any thing a bit more complex) the audio glitches, poor latency, etc. rears its nasty head. However, if I keep it cool, just mixing, everything is fine.

Here are my computer specs:

Macbook Pro Retina (15" Mid 2015)
2.2 Ghz Intel core i7
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

iMac 21.3" Late 2009
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
12GB 1067MHz DDR3
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Now I have tried every configuration I can think of and and am getting the same results.

Anyone with a macbook or windows system please feel free to weigh in with how your Serato experience is going. Also any help or suggestions would be well received!

And to the Serato Mods.........yes I have put in a help request, but am getting slow played on it, and given the same optimization links when I do get a response. Well meaning perhaps, but not real helpful. So I decided to put the feelers out and see if anybody else is having these issues. Btw....I have returned 2 other S9 thinking it may have been a defect with the equipment.
DJ Tecniq 9:21 PM - 5 December, 2015
Did you upgrade the firmware for the S9? Make sure that is up to date.
DJ Tecniq 9:22 PM - 5 December, 2015
upgrade = update*
thorissr 9:23 PM - 5 December, 2015
I have the exact same Macbook Pro 15 inch as you and I have yet to experience the issues you mentioned. I also run a late 2013 21.5" iMac with the Macbook Pro 15 (Dual USB Ports on the S9) and everything is smooth as butter. Both machines are on Yosemite 10.10.5 running all expansions with PnT enabled at 1ms. Firmware 1.05

So I would expect your macbook Pro should run SDJ in the same manner as my setup.
DJ Tecniq 9:26 PM - 5 December, 2015
Yeah something doesn't sound right. I've heard that mixer has been solid with SDJ it has to be firmware or defected mac?
thorissr 9:30 PM - 5 December, 2015
I know this is obvious but are you on the latest S9 firmware and have the correct drivers for Yosemite?
gray-V 9:36 PM - 5 December, 2015
Thanks for the quick response you guys. I have updated the firmware to 1.0.5 on the s9. so thats not it. I have been using my s9 mainly with my two xdi-1000's which I purchased at the same time. I'm kinda new to serato, but have been using it with a NS7 II since March of this year and the setup was super easy. I'm thinking I just dont have things setup quite right.

Anyone care to fully describe their mixer output and preferences in the S9 utility menu?

I've been a turntable dj for well over 25 years, but somewhat of a noob when it comes to this new digital technology. Always willing to learn though..
gray-V 9:47 PM - 5 December, 2015
to thorissr: I'm definitely on the latest s9 firmware but I'm not to sure about how i have aggregate drivers configured for the drivers. So i'm going to be playing around with some different settings today to see if I can figure something more out
thorissr 10:02 PM - 5 December, 2015
BTW...when I installed the driver the only thing I changed in the Pioneer Utility was the fader cut. I didn't have to tinker with any other settings to get up and running.
gray-V 10:24 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
BTW...when I installed the driver the only thing I changed in the Pioneer Utility was the fader cut. I didn't have to tinker with any other settings to get up and running.

Thanks thorissr, thats good to know because neither have I. There is something that I don't have quite right and I need to figure out. Btw what do you play on with your s9? (turntables or cdjs)
thorissr 10:25 PM - 5 December, 2015
Pair of Reloop 8000's
gray-V 10:33 PM - 5 December, 2015
Thanks! Right on!
DJ Nick Scott 5:04 PM - 21 September, 2018
I just bought a MBP today. late 2017 13 in i5 dual core with touch bar. Are y'all still having problems?
maseone20 9:14 PM - 7 October, 2018
I played on this mixer 3 weeks ago with no issues. Last night I went to the same studio to play on my boy's show and I could only get it to work in internal mode. In ABS or REL it could see all my music and cue points but it just would not move. MacBook, playing on 2 1200's. I had never seen this before.
DJ Tecniq 9:51 PM - 7 October, 2018
Quote:
I played on this mixer 3 weeks ago with no issues. Last night I went to the same studio to play on my boy's show and I could only get it to work in internal mode. In ABS or REL it could see all my music and cue points but it just would not move. MacBook, playing on 2 1200's. I had never seen this before.
You sure the turntables weren’t connected to line instead of phono? I’ve done that before and it had the same result.
maseone20 11:49 PM - 7 October, 2018
My boy plugged in right before me and it worked normally.
DJ Tecniq 11:58 PM - 7 October, 2018
Quote:
Maybe he used the right connections and you plugged in wrong.
WildcardX 10:19 PM - 8 October, 2018
Quote:

Did you do any OS update compared to your boy's computer? Reason I asked is that when I went from Yosemite to High Sierra and let Time Machine restore that stuff, I got a similar issue and only then realized that I needed to update the driver. After that it was golden.
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 11:17 PM - 8 October, 2018
Toss the S9. iMac Pro and Rane 72.

Away wash your issues down the stream.
CMOS 11:09 PM - 9 October, 2018
Quote:

You cant help yourself can you?
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 6:55 PM - 10 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

You cant help yourself can you?

I took my own advice, and now I run my setup with zero issues. So no, I cant help myself from having a flawless setup. My bad.
CMOS 11:26 PM - 10 October, 2018
You bring an iMac to gigs? LOL
maseone20 1:00 AM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Did you do any OS update compared to your boy's computer? Reason I asked is that when I went from Yosemite to High Sierra and let Time Machine restore that stuff, I got a similar issue and only then realized that I needed to update the driver. After that it was golden.

That might be it. I think I did an update recently. When I first plugged in, it said it was loading the driver. Maybe it failed. Thanks!
WildcardX 11:23 AM - 11 October, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That might be it. I think I did an update recently. When I first plugged in, it said it was loading the driver. Maybe it failed. Thanks!

Check the Pioneer site and get the driver you need.
defjamblaster 8:18 PM - 1 February, 2019
is anyone still having this issue? i have had the latency happen to me a couple of times. i'm on mojvae and have the latest firmware and drivers for the S9
DJ Tecniq 9:56 PM - 1 February, 2019
Quote:
is anyone still having this issue? i have had the latency happen to me a couple of times. i'm on mojvae and have the latest firmware and drivers for the S9
No I’m on Sierra w/o issues. Make sure you plug the mixers usb cable directly to one of the USB ports on your Mac. Also if you recently updated from a previous OS to Mojave it is always best to do a fresh install of Mojave.
defjamblaster 11:15 PM - 1 February, 2019
I actually did NOT have the latest driver, just latest firmware. I updated it and I'll try it out again