Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tip: Library Sorting

2:25 AM, 2 Dec 2015
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
djcrap 9:13 PM - 9 December, 2015
It would great we could sort by two fields at the same time. Eg bmp and key (this would give all songs in the same bpm plus key) year and bpm this would give all songs in the same year plus bpm etc
booker 9:50 AM - 10 December, 2015
+1
Ben Faze 2:06 PM - 10 December, 2015
+1
DjOdiedroppingbangers 8:40 PM - 10 December, 2015
not sure what happen but i was able to sort a different way for each create and now it is gone so now when you sort by bpm or key in one create all the creates sorted by pbm or key why did it change?
iTechTrance 12:21 AM - 11 December, 2015
+1

It's really painful work without a filter. Even Beatport has a basic filter!
Dj MacMillz 1:45 PM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
not sure what happen but i was able to sort a different way for each create and now it is gone so now when you sort by bpm or key in one create all the creates sorted by pbm or key why did it change?

In the setup menu make sure custom crate column is checked.
DjOdiedroppingbangers 5:03 PM - 11 December, 2015
oh man thanks holy nuts!!!
DjOdiedroppingbangers 5:04 PM - 11 December, 2015
not sure how that got turned off
DJ Beera 5:22 PM - 11 December, 2015
+1
Ben Faze 6:30 PM - 11 December, 2015
Would be awesome if this sorting function works with the colors as well :)
DJ Nony 7:04 PM - 11 December, 2015
How can one sort by BPM and Key at the same time?
iTechTrance 7:35 PM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
How can one sort by BPM and Key at the same time?

You can't :(
ilasik 11:11 PM - 11 December, 2015
+1
I have been asking for several years to simply be able to sort by more than just one field at a time. You would think that such a basic functionality would be addressed, but it still has not. It would add tremendous value to most users.
Serato, can we see some movement in getting this done?
Dj MacMillz 1:23 AM - 12 December, 2015
Gotta head over to the feature suggestions area and make some noise, if enough buzz is generated, they'll "look into seeing how it can be implemented" with the least amount of changes or interruption of stability.

If possible it might make it to a future release.
Dj MacMillz 1:25 AM - 12 December, 2015
Only work around might be set up smart crates with the specific criteria you need. A bit redundant but may work. I've got some set by BPM range not as a rule to follow explicitly, but as a guide to group all 'like songs' and not be overwhelmed at staring at the whole library.
Klinton Kush 5:39 AM - 12 December, 2015
You can sort by BPM and Key at the same time by making Smart Crates for them
dj_spark 8:57 AM - 12 December, 2015
Double entries sorting is a long awaited feature.
iTechTrance 11:48 AM - 12 December, 2015
Quote:

Key filter in smart crates works only with original tags and it's a big mess, but even if it works right (with camelot tags too) it will take so long that it will be useless.

What we need it's not double entries sorting but just a filter.
DJ Nony 1:55 PM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:

Please explain how
DJ Matty Stiles 7:20 PM - 13 December, 2015
Pro tip or n00b tip guys :/
DJ Nony 7:56 PM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:
Pro tip or n00b tip guys :/

??
Klinton Kush 5:20 AM - 15 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Please explain how

So for instance you can make smart crates for songs in the 70-80 BPM range, 81-90, 91-100, etc. Then inside the crates sort by key. Or you can use my preferred method, which is setting up the smart crates for keys rather than BPM. So I have 12 smart crates (1A-B, 2A-B, 3A-B, etc.) then inside the crate, sort the songs by BPM.
lindsaymar 4:42 PM - 16 December, 2015
Quote:

I've used Smart Crates/Playlists with a bpm-range (+/-5%) and 5 wide genre groupings (eg: Electronic, Dub, Hip Hop, World, & Rock.)
Even with the vagueness of those genre groupings the Smart Crate column is sooooooo long that it's cumbersome to use.

It's far passed time that Serato introduces library filters for at least bpm and key.

I've got a feature suggestion for a library filter here:
serato.com
Angel B 9:11 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
It would great we could sort by two fields at the same time. Eg bmp and key (this would give all songs in the same bpm plus key) year and bpm this would give all songs in the same year plus bpm etc

+1
DJ Tecniq 11:25 AM - 17 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

+1
Cosign. Would make mixing more efficient.
thomasteve9 8:23 AM - 28 September, 2016
This has been asked as far back as 2008 as I can see. How hard could this actually be? Who do we have to email to get this feature actually implemented?
Klinton Kush 8:26 AM - 28 September, 2016
You actually CAN do a secondary sort now! It was implemented in one of the last updates, either 1.9.1 or 1.9.2
lindsaymar 10:27 PM - 28 September, 2016
I haven't been using it much. I haven't found a secondary sorts that I find useful within my workflow.

What are peoples favorite secondary searches? (e.g Key > Genre)

What I really need is a BPM Range Filter that I can have at the top of the library and know that my library is only showing tracks in a mixable range. And *then* start sorting from there.
DJ Tecniq 6:18 AM - 29 September, 2016
Quote:
What I really need is a BPM Range Filter that I can have at the top of the library and know that my library is only showing tracks in a mixable range. And *then* start sorting from there.
Cant you just use smart crates and create a rule like (100-108bpm)
Klinton Kush 7:38 AM - 29 September, 2016
+1 on Tecniq's answer. Seems like a smart crate would work for lindsaymar
lindsaymar 1:57 AM - 1 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Cant you just use smart crates and create a rule like (100-108bpm)

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I have already done that but I have a list of over 20 bpm ranges (+&-5% at 60bpm, 65bpm, 70bpm, etc..) which is OK... But then I have 7 sub smart crates/playlists of broad-genres under each bpm range. (ie. G0 House, G1 Electronic, G2 Dub...) [FYI: the G# lets me use the search function for broad genres quickly]

It's a really affective system for me but during the course of the night more bpm crates get dropped down and the crate column gets very long. It gets cumbersome having to scroll back to the BPM *then* genre sub crate after doing a ctrl-F search for a track or something else.

I think I play a lot more all-over-the-show and off the cuff than a lot of dj's but I think plenty of dj's would love the feeling of having their library only showing a mixable range (of what's currently playing) with a simple click of a "bpm range" button at the top of the library. It's something that I loved in Traktor.

Anything that can quicken our ability to find the next track is a good thing.
thomasteve9 8:30 AM - 7 October, 2016
My issue is that I play through my tracks sorted by BPM, and, by default, serato sorts by ARTIST next, no matter how I move the columns. If I have an artist that likes to produce at the same BPM, I get a cluster of the same artist in my playlist. I'd prefer to be able to sort by BPM, and after, by KEY, COLOUR or GENRE.

Better yet, "column sort order" in settings.
Klinton Kush 10:47 AM - 7 October, 2016
Prepare to have your mind blown thomasteve9....the secondary sort function is very simple to use.

The reason you didn't see it in the 1.9.3 notes is because it was implemented in 1.9.2 so it's in those notes.

Ctrl/Cmd + click a column header to set custom secondary sort order.