Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

RANE SL 2 or SERATO DJ PROBLEM

ViennaJax 8:04 PM - 1 December, 2015
First of all: I can't post any new discussions anywhere, except here!
Could the Serato Support Team move it to RANE HARDWARE Forum?

I am really trying to explain it in english and hope you will get it (it's not my native language)

I am using:

MacBook Pro MID 2012
OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
2,9 GHz i7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Software: Serato DJ 1.8.0
Interface: Rane SL 2 1.10

My problem:

I had a Gig at 3 different Clubs the past 3 days.

Club 1: Already had a Rane SL 4 with all the cinch and audio cables. So i just had to connect it to my laptop. I had a strange cracking noise on the boxes and on my headphones. I thought it was because of their equipment (Rane SL 4, cables or whatever - i didn't use my equipment).

Club 2: I connected my Hardware (Rane SL 2 and my new cinch cables) to the DJM 850 and CJDs 900 nexus. The master output audio/booth was fine as far as i remember, but i still had a little cracking noise on the headphones (Headphone are not broken, i checked them afterwards on different devices).

Club 3: I connected all my Hardware to their DJM 850 and CDJs 850. I checked it twice before i started.
After about 1 hour the cracking noise started on the Master Audio Output/Booth and on my headphones. After switching Cinch cables it disappeared for 10 min, but then the same thing started again. I did that procedure 3-4 times with the same results.
Now i did a Rane SL 2 update on my computer. I don't know if that will help.

I don't think, and really really hope, that my Rane SL 2 is broken because of the different results in all 3 Clubs.

And I can't afford another Rane Box yet and i have to play 2 gigs next weekend.

The Serato Support Team already helped me once and fixed all my problems there.
ViennaJax 8:10 PM - 1 December, 2015
It was a cracking noise on the bass. So more bass more cracking. At Club 3 it was the worst. I don't get it why it stopped for 10 min when i changed the cinch cables.

I hope its something with serato dj and easy to solve :(
ViennaJax 8:12 PM - 1 December, 2015
I totally forgot something.

It started last thursday when i first used my DDJ SP 1 Controller
ViennaJax 8:24 PM - 1 December, 2015
Ok, i plugged in my headphone on the audio port and listened to a few tracks on Serato DJ...no problem there
DJ Tecniq 9:11 PM - 1 December, 2015
Is auto gain enabled? Were you clipping the audio?
ViennaJax 9:02 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:

Hey DJ Tecniq!

Auto Gain is enabled in Serato DJ and set to 92 dB.

What exactly do you mean with clipping the audio?
It can't have anything to do with the settings on the mixer. I used the same settings as the other DJ I played b2b with on saturday. A lot DJs at this Club push the Master and Trim to the limit which, sometimes, caused a clipping. I just had to set the Master or the Trim back a little bit and it was gone.
ViennaJax 9:09 AM - 2 December, 2015
So he used Traktor and had no problems. We played a few times together and i never had any problems so far and i also never changed a thing in serato. The only that that changes is my DDJ SP1 Controller and a new Java Update.

It has to be something with the Software
DJ Tecniq 11:59 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Hey DJ Tecniq!

It can't have anything to do with the settings on the mixer. I used the same settings as the other DJ I played b2b with on saturday. A lot DJs at this Club push the Master and Trim to the limit which, sometimes, caused a clipping. I just had to set the Master or the Trim back a little bit and it was gone.
what i mean by clipped audio is that's what can happen if audio gain isn't checked in setup. You will get your gains displaying in the "red" area which is no good. Maybe it's different but with auto gain off at 92 db i get distorted audio so i keep it at 91 db with auto gain on. The default 92 db setting is too punchy at least that's how it is for the SL3 so i prefer 91db with auto gain.
ViennaJax 8:25 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey DJ Tecniq!

what i mean by clipped audio is that's what can happen if audio gain isn't checked in setup. You will get your gains displaying in the "red" area which is no good. Maybe it's different but with auto gain off at 92 db i get distorted audio so i keep it at 91 db with auto gain on. The default 92 db setting is too punchy at least that's how it is for the SL3 so i prefer 91db with auto gain.

Thank you very much!
Another thing is, that i always had my laptop in sleep mode and never turned it off. I also "purged" my RAM and cleaned up my laptop (temporary files, ....)

So i will do both things (RAM and 91db) before my next gig.

Thanks!
DJ Tecniq 8:33 PM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey DJ Tecniq!

Thank you very much!
Another thing is, that i always had my laptop in sleep mode and never turned it off. I also "purged" my RAM and cleaned up my laptop (temporary files, ....)

So i will do both things (RAM and 91db) before my next gig.

Thanks!
Yeah just try that out and see how it goes.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:24 AM - 3 December, 2015
Hi there ViennaJax,

Might be worth trying to adjust your audio buffer in the setup menu to see if that helps at all?

Hit up our support.serato.com peeps if you have any more trouble

MP
ViennaJax 12:13 PM - 9 December, 2015
Thanks to everyone that helped me!

I solved the problem:

I reinstalled OS X Yosemite (I wanted to do that anyway) and installed a RAM Cleaner that i always use before a gig now (or "sudo purge" in Terminal).

The problem was that i never really turned of my computer and that has caused problems with Serato, Photoshop and a few other softwares (got really really slow).

Now everything runs perfectly. Already had 4 Gigs with not a single problem!