Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DJM S9 - Do alterations to the hardware FX not save??

Jed 104 2:26 PM - 28 November, 2015
Got my shiny gold S9 and am pleased with it for the most part, very nice mixer. I'm coming from using the 62 so some things are taking a bit of getting used to. My first main issue is when I alter the parameters of on board FX (for example turn the HPF on the echo up to 3) this change isnt present when I come to using my mixer again. The 62 would save the alteration so when you power on everything is as you left it.

Anyone else having this issue or is this juts how the mixer is?
intellekt 3:33 PM - 28 November, 2015
Are you changing these settings in the S9 utility? You have to ensure that you save your changes to a bank afterwards. You can also double check by closing the app then reopening it and checking the bank again.
Jed 104 4:19 PM - 28 November, 2015
Nope I didn't know you had to do that, it wasn't the case with Ranes mixer it just returned to its state when switched on. Seems a pain in the butt but I'll try it and see if t works thanks
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:07 AM - 30 November, 2015
Yeah you have to save it in the utility.
It was annoying at first :)
BBN 3:07 AM - 30 November, 2015
You can save and load two different settings on the S9.
My 62 only saved one ;)
Jed 104 3:19 AM - 30 November, 2015
Which you didnt have to load...
BBN 2:21 PM - 30 November, 2015
Because it only was one setting ;)

Now you have two custom settings plus factory setting all selected directly on the mixer and you can even change between them while deejaying.
Jed 104 3:16 PM - 30 November, 2015
I only needed one setting :) and I prefer not to have to open a utility and load them call me lazy...

Also if I were doing a vinyl only gig I'd never have my presets saved, if that's how it is cool but if it can be changed that would be better I think
BBN 1:00 AM - 1 December, 2015
You don't need to open the utility software to recall your settings.
intellekt 8:27 PM - 3 December, 2015
You just set them once in the utility and save. After that you don't have to open the utility again until you want to make further changes.

Having two banks is nice once you figure out your own workflow for the mixer. If only use one there is no harm in having two for room to grow.
Jed 104 9:08 PM - 3 December, 2015
Isn't happening with my gold S9, latest drivers and latest firmware. If I load my presets from bank A and turn the mixer off and on afterwards they're gone. That's with the power cable still in and USB still attached to the laptop too...
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:39 PM - 3 December, 2015
Quote:
Isn't happening with my gold S9, latest drivers and latest firmware. If I load my presets from bank A and turn the mixer off and on afterwards they're gone. That's with the power cable still in and USB still attached to the laptop too...

I just tried it and you are right.
It does not start up with what you saved last. you have to load it every time you turn on the S9
Jed 104 9:52 PM - 3 December, 2015
I'm actually going to escalate to a support ticket. Looking into it what I think is happening is in installing the El Capitan drivers then Serato is saying I need to update and installing the Yosemite ones. I've just tried to switch to cd from turntables in the setup screen of SDJ and it said "error communicating with mixer"
BBN 8:24 PM - 5 December, 2015
Where's the problem?
Power on the mixer, push two buttons and your prefered FX settings are loaded.
Jed 104 10:28 PM - 5 December, 2015
Quote:
I'm actually going to escalate to a support ticket. Looking into it what I think is happening is in installing the El Capitan drivers then Serato is saying I need to update and installing the Yosemite ones. I've just tried to switch to cd from turntables in the setup screen of SDJ and it said "error communicating with mixer"

^theres the problem. Driver issue
BBN 11:41 PM - 5 December, 2015
If you're using Yosemite then use the Yosemite driver for the mixer, if you're using El Capitan use the one for El Capitan.
It's easy to download the drivers and PDF instructions from the Pioneer website.
www.pioneerdj.com
Jed 104 12:32 AM - 6 December, 2015
Thanks but I'm kinda aware of the obvious. I install the el cap driver start serato and it prompts me to install the Yosemite driver. I'm running el cap of course
BBN 4:12 AM - 6 December, 2015
Did you try the latest Serato DJ 1.8.1 Public Beta?
Jed 104 11:44 AM - 6 December, 2015
Not yet dude, will have a look. Wouldn't be 100 about using a beta for gigs though
BBN 5:58 PM - 6 December, 2015
The problem is that you updated to El Capitan too early.
But the good guys at Serato are on it and drivers from Pioneer are out now.
Looks like you have to wait or go back to Yosemite.
I'm allways waiting a few months before I upgrade my OS, because Apple messed things up over the last years each time they came with a new OS.
Jed 104 5:59 PM - 6 December, 2015
I did actually wait until both serato and pioneer announced El Capitan was supported for the S9...
BBN 10:08 PM - 6 December, 2015
Did you doublecheck the driver and firmware of your mixer?
It's working for other DJs, so something must be wrong.
You'll find the latest versions plus how to PDF via the link I posted above.
Jed 104 4:57 AM - 7 December, 2015
Yup updated the firmware as soon as the mixer arrived, then updated the driver. When I start SDJ it prompts me to install the driver again and force installs the Yosemite driver :/
thorissr 5:13 PM - 7 December, 2015
Quote:
Yup updated the firmware as soon as the mixer arrived, then updated the driver. When I start SDJ it prompts me to install the driver again and force installs the Yosemite driver :/

This happens to me on my Macbook Air that came with the latest OS 10.11 pre-installed. Funny though is that SDJ works with no problems running the Yosemite driver on El Capitan, however I noticed that I can't make any modifications via the Pioneer utility due to it erring out and won't open.
jrtonnesen 6:57 AM - 27 July, 2016
I know this is an older topic, but I had this same problem. Has anyone solved trying to change onboard fx and have them saved when not connected to a computer? I tried and everything went back to factory default when repowered without a computer hooked up.

thanks
Jed 104 9:54 AM - 27 July, 2016
I don't think it's possible annoyingly, the rane 62 does it do I'm not sure why pioneer have decided to Int that feature. One thing I do know from some of the DJs involved in developing the S9 is that pioneer have deliberately left some features off this mixer (suggested by those DJs) in order to bring another out. Let's hope they can change this with a software update though. Best thing you could do is contact pioneer direct or post on their forum I think
Jed 104 10:00 AM - 27 July, 2016
Without spelling errors :/
I don't think it's possible annoyingly, the Rane 62 does it so I'm not sure why pioneer have decided to miss that feature. One thing I do know from some of the DJs involved in developing the S9 is that Pioneer have deliberately left some features off this mixer (suggested by those DJs) in order to bring another out. Let's hope they can change this with a software update though. Best thing you could do is contact pioneer direct or post on their forum