DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MacBook pro

JDforKing 3:58 PM - 27 November, 2015
For those of you that are currently using a MacBook Pro which are you using and how is it working for you? Also, specify if you're also spinning mp4s using serato video or mix emergency. Thanks
DJ GaFFle 4:07 PM - 27 November, 2015
I have an outdated '09 MBPro with 8GB ram and 1TB 7200rpm HD. It still runs Serato DJ well enough and I've never had virus issues (never had anti-virus software installed either). I don't do video though.
lvmez 5:10 PM - 27 November, 2015
No disrespect JDforKing, but the fact that it's 2015 and your asking that question is strange.

Of course it's working. Everyone who owns a MBP has had success. You get what you pay for. MBP pro is no different from buying a Rane mixer.

There's nothing to discuss, just buy.
JDforKing 5:22 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
No disrespect JDforKing, but the fact that it's 2015 and your asking that question is strange.

Of course it's working. Everyone who owns a MBP has had success. You get what you pay for. MBP pro is no different from buying a Rane mixer.

There's nothing to discuss, just buy.

First off, i'm trying to get an idea of what people are currently running and how long their Macbook pros have lasted. I've purchased 3 myself and i've never had a problem with any of them. If you are offended by the topic don't respond it's that simple. I'm thinking about upgrading my current macbook pro and thought it would be wise to see what people are successful using.
JDforKing 5:23 PM - 27 November, 2015
*successfully
lvmez 6:32 PM - 27 November, 2015
???

You've owned 3 and are asking what people are using? DJ's are using the best MBP's that they can afford.

Not offended, but even more confused since already have owned 3.

*For vjing use anything after 2013 Retina display with dedicated video card.
Scully DJ Services 6:54 PM - 27 November, 2015
Alright, so here's a dumb question. I'm currently on Windows, but want to switch to OSX for DJing, and I have a question. On the SDJ system requirements, it states that SDJ only supports i3 CPUs and above. Does anyone using an older MBP have any issues with their CPU being a Core 2 Duo? I'm sure a Core 2 Duo can run SDJ in my application, but I don't want there to be any conflicts on the software side of things. Thanks
Code:E 6:57 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
For those of you that are currently using a MacBook Pro which are you using and how is it working for you?

Late 2013 Top Mac with the dedicated video Card (Dedicated video is massively important if you want to do video well).

Quote:
Also, specify if you're also spinning mp4s using serato video or mix emergency.

I use ME exclusively. I have Serato Video. Used it when I was on a PC, but it never worked reliably so I switched to mac and ME.

Quote:

This!

Quote:
Alright, so here's a dumb question. I'm currently on Windows, but want to switch to OSX for DJing, and I have a question.

If you are on Music only 2009 and above will work ok. If you are on video 2012 and above with dedicated video card is what you want.
JDforKing 7:40 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
For those of you that are currently using a MacBook Pro which are you using and how is it working for you?

Late 2013 Top Mac with the dedicated video Card (Dedicated video is massively important if you want to do video well).

Quote:
Also, specify if you're also spinning mp4s using serato video or mix emergency.

I use ME exclusively. I have Serato Video. Used it when I was on a PC, but it never worked reliably so I switched to mac and ME.

Quote:

This!

Quote:
Alright, so here's a dumb question. I'm currently on Windows, but want to switch to OSX for DJing, and I have a question.

If you are on Music only 2009 and above will work ok. If you are on video 2012 and above with dedicated video card is what you want.

Thanks for the insight
Scully DJ Services 9:08 PM - 27 November, 2015
Thanks Code:E
deezlee 9:05 AM - 28 November, 2015
1.9.2 is still working great on my 2006 black MacBook if that's yer question. I know that's not your question. I'm just letting you know how real it is out here. It's real real.
pdidy 9:59 AM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Does anyone using an older MBP have any issues with their CPU being a Core 2 Duo?

I personally don't think you want to play that close to the edge of reliability when he comes to serato DJ, I recommend spending just a little bit extra for an i5.

With a Core 2 Duo i would stick to scratchlive for far superior reliability compared to sdj.
Scully DJ Services 3:10 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone using an older MBP have any issues with their CPU being a Core 2 Duo?

I personally don't think you want to play that close to the edge of reliability when he comes to serato DJ, I recommend spending just a little bit extra for an i5.

With a Core 2 Duo i would stick to scratchlive for far superior reliability compared to sdj.

Ok cool thanks for the info. I am currently trying to spring for a 2012 13" with an i5
pdidy 3:17 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
Ok cool thanks for the info. I am currently trying to spring for a 2012 13" with an i5

Good choice, it's a very common Mac and proven to work flawlessly.
dj jamalot 4:21 PM - 28 November, 2015
13" for Video...?
Scully DJ Services 4:35 PM - 28 November, 2015
I won't be using it for video, but according to MixEmergency's website, the 13" WOULD be able to run it. Not sure how well it would work on a laptop of that spec though
 6 4:53 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
I won't be using it for video, but according to MixEmergency's website, the 13" WOULD be able to run it. Not sure how well it would work on a laptop of that spec though

ME can run on an air without issues. So it will definitely run on a 13" MBP.

The program has been optimized a while back to use minimum resources.

nm
JDforKing 4:54 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:

I run mix emergency and serato video on a 13 inch 2011 MacBook Pro. I only do video once a week and it gets the job done. Next time around I will purchase a MacBook Pro with a dedicated video card but ill stick with what I have for now. I have 1tb ssd for the main drive and a 750 gig in the optibay for my videos.
Scully DJ Services 5:01 PM - 28 November, 2015
Ok cool. Thanks for the info. I have looked in to ME3 and its optimizations, but I haven't ever used it before or seen just how much resources it actually consumes. In my position, doing video just isn't worth the investment in time, money, and equipment for it to actually pay off. For all of the mobile gigs that I do, I doubt that most people would even care if I did have video. I'm sure that different markets and crowds totally change that though.
dj jamalot 5:27 PM - 28 November, 2015
Ok good info idk it could handle video 👍
SG SOUNDS 6:03 PM - 28 November, 2015
Quote:
For those of you that are currently using a MacBook Pro which are you using and how is it working for you? Also, specify if you're also spinning mp4s using serato video or mix emergency. Thanks

Im using a 2009 dual core macbook pro...it runs ssl and sdj flawlessly but i mostly still use scrathlive on sdj the limit light sometimes comes on but it runs normal otherwise...The macbook pro's are well worth the money...since 2009 till now ive never had a virus or any problems with my macbook pro..you get what you pay for...will upgrade to a i7 13 inch next year though
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:27 PM - 1 December, 2015
15" 2014 MBP Retina with dedicated 2gb video card.
Runs ME like super smooth.

Solid investment, its my second djing MBP, previously had a 15" 2011 MBP but was doing only audio then.
JDforKing 7:09 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
15" 2014 MBP Retina with dedicated 2gb video card.
Runs ME like super smooth.

Solid investment, its my second djing MBP, previously had a 15" 2011 MBP but was doing only audio then.

Do you keep your videos on an external using thunderbolt?
djsmuve415 11:23 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
Im using a 2009 dual core macbook pro...it runs ssl and sdj flawlessly

I have that also - runs SDJ fine. Obviously I don't do vids, if I was going to ever, it would be new laptop time. can find a bunch of Duo Core's on craigslist all the time - thats why I like mine. when its gets alcohol spilled all over it like with the 2 stupidest nights in the year - St. Patricks day and New Years - I don't give such a shit.
Scully DJ Services 12:51 AM - 2 December, 2015
Ok a little off topic request here. When describing a MBP please dont say 2gb video card or 1gb video card. The VRAM inside a GPU doesnt matter that much. There are so many more factors like manufacturer (AMD,Nvidea), amount of streaming processors/CUDA cores, frequency of the chip and memory, and several others. Instead of just giving us the amount of VRAM, could yall please give the model number of the card like GTX750 or Radeon 370X or whatnot? It would really help me as I am trying to do some research on which GPUs will work well with ME or Serato Video. Thanks
Code:E 1:24 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
It would really help me as I am trying to do some research on which GPUs will work well with ME or Serato Video. Thanks

Any GPU with it's own memory, and more that 1GB of memory will do amazingly well. Pretty much stay away from the intel chips.

I have the GTX 2gb one and I run SDJ, ME and Resolume, with videos on a external all night and never have an issue. I can also run 12 layers of HD video in resolume and be above 30FPS.
 6 1:26 AM - 2 December, 2015
2014 MBP with 2 GB video card. :-P
SDJ runs perfect.

nm
Dj Shamann 2:46 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Everyone who owns a MBP has had success

Tell that to "everyone" who owned a 2011 and was part of the very large crowd of people who had video issues until a class action lawsuit finally got Apple to acknowledge it.

I'm one of those people, I believe 6 had some graphics problems a while back (correct me if I'm wrong 6 because I remember a post, but don't know if it was resolved and if it was related)

www.macrumors.com

www.macrumors.com

www.apple.com

www.google.com

Now I'm sure I'll get the inevitable "well mine works flawlessly, I do x amount of gigs, it works for me etc," but that doesn't change the fact that it was so bad for models spanning 2 years that a class action suit had to be filed.

You don't even want to know about the BS you have to go through to actually get Apple to do the replacement which doesn't guarantee a long term fix anyway.

To be safe JD, stay away from 2011 models. Stay away from 15" retina models between 2011-2013

The problem with the 2011's is the dual GPU, when they switch from Intel to AMD it causes problems and you either get distorted display, crash, and eventually horizontal bars on start up (which won't allow you to even boot the thing and then you're in real trouble)

To anybody reading this that has had the problem, get GFX card status app, stop it from dynamic switching and get to an Apple repair center before Feb 2016 (when the recall program ends) if they deem you worthy, they'll replace the logic board (which seems to be their "fix" for everything even though it doesn't fix the design flaw) and then you can cross your fingers and hope it doesn't happen again. If it does, look into getting it "reballed" (resoldering the contacts for the GPU)
 6 2:51 AM - 2 December, 2015
While my MBP had problems similar to what the graphics issue was, it seems that it was actually caused by faulty RAM. My 2011 MBP ran fine with 16GB of RAM for well over a year and then one day it decided it didn't like the RAM anymore. The Apple store replaced the RAM for the original 4GB that came with it when I bought it and I haven't had problems since.

They did replace the logic board (just in case), but it ended up being the RAM.

nm
pdidy 3:14 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
It would really help me as I am trying to do some research on which GPUs will work well with ME or Serato Video. Thanks

just ask Code:E, he's the real expert here......
Scully DJ Services 3:16 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
While my MBP had problems similar to what the graphics issue was, it seems that it was actually caused by faulty RAM. My 2011 MBP ran fine with 16GB of RAM for well over a year and then one day it decided it didn't like the RAM anymore. The Apple store replaced the RAM for the original 4GB that came with it when I bought it and I haven't had problems since.

nm

So they screwed you on the RAM? They didn't even replace it with the amount you had in it before?
Dj Shamann 3:20 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:

nm

Yeah, I just vaguely remember what the pics you posted were like. While I was getting the horizontal bars, one day I got the scrambled pic and it reminded me of what you posted.

djshamann.com

djshamann.com
 6 3:26 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

So they screwed you on the RAM? They didn't even replace it with the amount you had in it before?

No. They didn't screw me on the RAM. They replaced it with what it originally came with not with what I bought after. They gave me the faulty RAM back. Every time I would put it back on, it would cause the same issue after a while. So, definitely the RAM.

nm
 6 3:27 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Yeah, I just vaguely remember what the pics you posted were like. While I was getting the horizontal bars, one day I got the scrambled pic and it reminded me of what you posted.

djshamann.com

djshamann.com

Yeah. The symptoms were similar to those of a faulty logic board but it kept passing the tests they threw at it while at the store.

nm
Scully DJ Services 3:58 AM - 2 December, 2015
Oh okay I see
Code:E 5:29 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:

Assuming that is sarcasm?
pdidy 5:46 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Assuming that is sarcasm?

No, I was serious.

But when I am being sarcastic you never get it, It must be the language barrier being that you speak Canadian.
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:31 AM - 2 December, 2015
Quote:

Do you keep your videos on an external using thunderbolt?

Yeah all my files (music and video) is on a lacie 2TB Thunderbolt drive. I only started videos last year and I'm super selective in the videos I get from the pools.
DJ Baby Boy 3:04 PM - 4 December, 2015
Quote:

I'm running a 2012 15" MBP 2.3 i7 with an NVidea 512 dedicated video card 16gb Ram 500gb SSD & 2tb in optibay for additional storage with full library on a WD MyPassport Pro 4tb Thunderbolt and running SDJ w/PnT, ME, Arena & Sonic Logic with a 62 w/ 1200's or CDJ 2000's HID and a DDJSX/2 with no problems at all even when outputting a full 1080p signal
JDforKing 3:55 PM - 4 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I'm running a 2012 15" MBP 2.3 i7 with an NVidea 512 dedicated video card 16gb Ram 500gb SSD & 2tb in optibay for additional storage with full library on a WD MyPassport Pro 4tb Thunderbolt and running SDJ w/PnT, ME, Arena & Sonic Logic with a 62 w/ 1200's or CDJ 2000's HID and a DDJSX/2 with no problems at all even when outputting a full 1080p signal

Thanks