DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Review: Yorkville PS12S - compact, powered sub

dj_soo 11:45 PM - 26 November, 2015
So I got a last minute booking for a boat party last night and didn't feel like bringing my 15" sub due to narrow staircases and such so I decided to give the new 12" Parasource sub a try as it was only $14 to rent at my local shop.

Listed Specs:

1800 watt peak / 900 watt RMS

Max SPL: 129db

Freq range +/-3db: 45Hz - 100hz

Weight: 65 lbs

Size: D/H/W: 23" x 22" x 14"

Cost: $1099USD (retail)

First thing that I noticed was the shape - most subs I'm used to are either closer to a cube shape (like JBL PRX subs) or a flattish square (like KW181s). This one looks like a long, squat rectangle. Dimension-wise, it's closest to the DXS12.

At 65 lbs, it's not the lightest thing in the world, but because it's such a skinny sub, it's very easy to move around because you can get your hands on both handles easily unlike wider subs that are awkward to carry with just one person. Got it up and down stairs with minimal effort although it's definitely got a heft to it.

Fired it up during soundcheck and I'll have to say I was impressed. For such a compact box, it put out clean, that was surprisingly loud and deep. Could definitely feel the bass as opposed to just hearing it and the long-throw driver easily filled the empty room with bass.

Paired it with my Yamaha DXR10s had everything basically at unity and it sounded and felt pretty balanced. When I turned everything up, I had to pump the sub up a bit more, but it was loud and I never saw the limit hit even once. Because I didn't have too many details for the party, I was just told there would be 100-150 there. Assumed it was just a christmas party with not everyone expected on the dancefloor so I figured the 12" should be enough. Ended up, it was more of a college party-type deal and pretty much all 150 packed in the small room and were all dancing. I was nervous because I didn't expect a single 12" to be able to keep up, but everything sounded great and balanced, although i didn't have too many chances to walk around the room while I was DJing. Room wasn't too large and it had very low ceilings so that probably helped a bit.

Was playing mainly top40, EDM, and hip hop. Most of it sounded great paired with my Yamaha's although some of the low, low notes did struggle.

Placement wasn't optimal - just put the sub under the table so I didn't have it wall or corner loaded.

Sound quality: really clean sound. I've had the same experience with the bigger PS15S sub. While not the lowest sub in the world (45hz limit), it goes lower than most of the competition in terms of compact 12" subs. The Ksub is listed at 44hz at +/-10 db which means it's probably closer to 48 or 49 at +/- 3db (they don't list it) and is larger and heavier. The ZXA-1 sub is like 53hz and doesn't get anywhere near as loud. The Yorkville LS200P is loud, but bottoms out at 50hz. The DXS12 lists at 47hz for +/- 10 and is 8 lbs heavier.

Throw: the long-throw driver really delivers. Can really feel the bass even near the back of the room. You won't be powered gyms or anything with these, but for most wedding style gigs, they would probably be plenty.

Size/weight: Although only 10 lbs lighter than my 15" NX720S subs, the small size makes it much more manageable

Dislikes:

Mixer section: The back/mixer section of the Parasource subs aren't anywhere as robust as the Elite series. All you get is a single XLR input and output, and a single 1/4" input and output pairing, and a volume knob. No adjustable high freq cutoff or boost knob like in the Elites.

Crossover: It's also has a fixed cutoff at 100 hz which I kind of felt a little steeper than most curves as higher bass notes tended to play much quieter than low notes. I've never had this issue with my NX720Ss.

Low notes: Definitely struggled a bit with low, low notes - when I was playing stuff like Drake - Started From the Bottom, or Major Lazer - Bubble Butt, you could definitely hear it bottoming out at high volumes.

Price: At $1099 retail, it's more expensive than the ksub, but I'd say it's a much better sub that's smaller and lighter, goes lower, and throws a lot further. I'll bet some of you haggling masters could get a better deal on them though.

Overall thoughts: Very impressed with the performance of such a compact sub. One or two of these paired with some good 8" tops like DXR8s or QSC K8s would probably be a banging system at a very small size and weight footprint. I would wager you could easily do a 200+ party with a pair for a wedding style gig with bass you can actually feel (as opposed to a ZXA1 system).

Only thing that makes me hesitate would be the price as you can get bigger, louder subs for less (like say the EKX15 or 18). But for those looking for a small-size, compact sub that really bumps, I don't think anything else on the market comes close right now at that price range.
Al Poulin 2:02 AM - 27 November, 2015
Excellent review! Thanks for sharing. I've been curious about this sub, as I was really impressed with the PS12P tops I reviewed last year, but similarly to you, I found the price to be pretty steep (like the PS12Ps). The speakers are designed AND built in Canada however, so that certainly adds to the cost vs Chinese made for example. I would love a pair of the 12" Parasource subs with my DXR8 tops, but they might not match well appearance wise... I have been very happy with my DXS12 subs however, for the few times I actually have bigger bookings and need the subs. It's usually just my DXR15 tops on stands for most smaller occasions.

Al
dj_soo 10:07 AM - 27 November, 2015
Yea, it's a weird looking sub with its oblong shape, but it really does pound for the size. Honestly, for corporate gigs and weddings (which is what I would use the sub for), I usually just put the subs under whatever table they have set up for me - I'll do the same with my NX720Ss. It's kinda cool to have all that bass with the only thing visible being my small DXR10s.

I wish it was a closer in price to the LS200P which it seems like it's the upgrade to.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:03 PM - 27 November, 2015
Quote:
only $14 to rent at my local shop

Really? man that is really cheap.
dj_soo 8:31 PM - 27 November, 2015
It's ridiculous.

I try to rent my gear, but can't compete with their prices so I have rent as a service where I deliver and tech.

You can rent an ls801p for like $40 a day and even an ls2100p for like $50.
djcrap 4:51 PM - 29 November, 2015
Just curious how that would compare to that mackie dlm 12inch subwoofer in the same category.

www.guitarcenter.com
dj_soo 12:31 AM - 30 November, 2015
i've never heard that sub, but the specs seem a little too good to be true...
DJ Tracktion 8:14 PM - 1 December, 2015
Quote:
Excellent review! Thanks for sharing

+1

But for $14 to rent, why ever buy it lol, ROI is prob much better to keep rent if not needed often..
dj_soo 3:12 AM - 2 December, 2015
but then i gotta make sure to get it, hope it's available, and remember to return it on time. I usually just lug my 15" subs out instead cause I can just shove it back into my storeroom when I'm done.

I just know there are people here who are looking to get smaller and more manageable with their setup but not wanted to sacrifice power, and the PS12S is probably one of the best options if you're willing to foot the bill...
dj_soo 11:57 AM - 12 March, 2016
just bumping this thread.

These things are the truth.

Tested a single with my DXR8s in a medium sized room (60' x 30') and at low volumes at least it filled the room with bass. Granted the room was empty and not going at full bore, but just from a balance perspective, I usually have to have my NX720S at around 2 or 3:00 to keep up with my tops. With this, I had it down to around 10:00 for a good, balanced sound.

I feel like these 12" subs outperform my 15" NX720S in terms of throw and volume despite what the listed specs say.

Seriously considering selling my pair of NX720Ss for a pair of these or maybe even the PS15S's.

I'll probably reserve full judgement until I get these things going in a room full of bodies, but I am very impressed.
dj_soo 9:57 AM - 7 August, 2016
Just finished a wedding tonight with 2 of these paired with my DXR8s.

Awesome. Didn't use my driverack and ran my tops with the foh dsp on and the high passed at 100.

Coupled the two under my dj table so there was no wall or corner loading and it was well more than I needed for a wedding of 150.

Still leaning towards a pair of ps15s and a single one of these for < 100 person parties, but I bet you could easily pair up to 4 of these under a pair of high powered 8" or 10" tops and you'd have an incredible system at a low profile size and weight signature. I could fit both subs and my tops easily on my small dolly.

I'm curious to hear how this rig would measure up to the evox 8...
DJ Quartz 4:02 PM - 7 August, 2016
Quote:
Just finished a wedding tonight with 2 of these paired with my DXR8s.

Awesome. Didn't use my driverack and ran my tops with the foh dsp on and the high passed at 100.

Coupled the two under my dj table so there was no wall or corner loading and it was well more than I needed for a wedding of 150.

Still leaning towards a pair of ps15s and a single one of these for < 100 person parties, but I bet you could easily pair up to 4 of these under a pair of high powered 8" or 10" tops and you'd have an incredible system at a low profile size and weight signature. I could fit both subs and my tops easily on my small dolly.

I'm curious to hear how this rig would measure up to the evox 8...

Where are you located in Canada? I'm down in Saskatchewan.

This is interesting because I run 2 or 4 x E10's with 1 or 2 - 720p's depending on the size of the room.
dj_soo 8:43 PM - 7 August, 2016
Vancouver.

I run basically the same setup with 2 dxr 10s and 2 dxr8s over 1-4 nx720s subs.

I just find the 720s - while they sound good and get decently loud - just don't throw far enough for me anymore. You kind of have to be within about 20 feet from the sub to really feel the bass unless you have a decent room to corner load.

I'd say the ps12s are a bit of a lateral move where you get more throw and a much smaller and a bit lighter package but have less control (lack of low pass cutoff, no boost, only 1 input/thru).

The ps15s definitely feel like an upgrade although the same drawbacks exist. It just produces more power and throws further.
DJ Quartz 8:51 PM - 7 August, 2016
Interesting, I'm planning to come out that way in the near future. All this time and I've never been west.
dj_soo 9:04 PM - 7 August, 2016
Should hit up Shambhala one year - fun party.
DJ Quartz 10:23 PM - 8 August, 2016
So I hear... :)
dj_soo 1:57 AM - 10 August, 2016
let me know if you ever make it out to Van sometime too.

You in saskatoon? regina?
DJ Quartz 7:09 PM - 10 August, 2016
Down in Regina.
dj_soo 10:26 PM - 30 December, 2016
picked up one of these at 1/2 price to sneak in an expense before the tax year ends.

Pretty happy with it. I now have the perfect "old man" rig for my small < 100 people parties. I can fit my entire setup plus a table on a single cart. I considered buying a pair, but I think I'd rather save this for the small parties and upgrade my 15s to something like a pair of ETX15SPs for larger ones.
DJ Dean Machine 8:09 PM - 18 December, 2017
These Yorkville Parasource series Subs and Tops are a game changer. I have 2-Ps12p’s with 2- PS18s Subs, and a pair of Ps15s Subs. With this configuration I can cover any gig you throw at me. Smaller gigs I just use the tops in “Club” mode which almost sounds like you have a sub in small rooms. Then pair those with the 15 inch subs for medium sized gigs, they certainly pound out the bass even better than the previous LS720p model. I add the 18’s which are suprisingly compact and easy to manoover considering they are 18’. These 18’s are for 200+ gigs and school dances. No need for any different tops at all because they usually only fill in the highs, but pound out serious wattage and bass in club mode all by themselves when there’s no room for any subs. Great versatile system, quality build, excellent warranty! The only time I stray from this is to add some me room fillers with QSC K10.2 on the other end of a long room.
dj_soo 9:56 PM - 18 December, 2017
I'm looking forward to trying out their new ES15P sub. I heard the ES18P in the store and it sounded a lot closer to the PS subs in tone, but with that ridiculous 801 output. The 15" looks like it doesn't pound quite as much, but is pretty close for a smaller sub.

I've used all 3 of the PS subs and I'm honestly the most impressed by the 12" sub in terms of output and throw vs size.

I was using the PS15S subs a lot for a while when trying to find an update to my 720 subs and was thinking of getting them, but opted for a cerwin vega CVX18 that I found for a steal.
dj_soo 9:57 PM - 18 December, 2017
The only thing I don't like about those subs is the lack of stereo inputs and the lack of adjustable LPF like you find in the older elite subs.